IGNORED

Reflectors to LEDs (with turn signals)

I am in the middle of changing out the side reflectors for LED's. Now the lights i bought from JPCycles.com came with two wires...a yellow and a black. I have read the other threads and I am curious about something...

When i was messing with the wires on the bike, i discovered if i hook one of the wires to the running lights and the other to a turn signal, i get a running light that will flash when i hit the turn signal.

Can someone explain why/if it would be bad for the electrical system if i hooked the wires up this way?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What you are doing is grounding the LEDs through the filament of the turn signal.

If you watch close you will notice that the LEDs are on when the turn signal is off, and the LEDs go off when the turn signal turns on.

Having it wired this way will not hurt anything but you are getting less light out of the LEDs because of the resistance of the filament in the turn signal.

It is better to have them wired up correctly to get all of the light that you paid for.

Thanks Flyinfool, that makes sense abt the grounding through the turn signals. :lightbulb:

Eck, not all the running lights are wired to the turn signals, maybe i wasnt clear about that. The new reflectors/leds were the only lights i was talking about. I couldn't decide if i wanted to use the new led reflectors as turn signals or as running lights so i was experimenting with the wiring to see which one i like better.

When i hit my turn signal, the front and rear as well as the respective side markers all blink to indicate my desire to change a lane or make a turn. The dashboard lights, and the rear running lights do not flash as well.

I found that with side marker lights that indicate blink with the turn signal, you eliminate the (all be it very small) blind spot that cagers have in regards to our turn signals. Also, with the whole side of the bike blinking they are more likely to see your desire to turn at night instead of relying off of just the rear signal. Kinda why i was experimenting with the wiring to begin with.

Thanks guys, i appreciate the input...now back to work!

In the 70's and 80's thats how GM had their side markers wired for a few years. Made for a flash back and forth effect. Its a good idea. You need all the lights you can get out there, half the cagers don't pay attention to anything, the other half are on the phone.....

Its not really advisable to mess with the OEM Turn signal system. Most folks who try this just cause trouble.

If you are going to wire up New Marker ( running lights ) then its best to run all of the NEW lights thru a NEW In-Line fuse. To a the left side of the Fuse panel. The point were voltage is on and off with the Ignition key.

This way if you new lights cause any problems, at least the original lighting is not effected.

And run the ground for the new lights to a seperate source.

Thanks for the advice, i shouldve stated that last year i added the integrated turn/running/brake lights in place of the stock turn signals so i have already modified the rear of the RSV.

I also added a 15" LED light bar to bottom of the trunk that is wired to be a running/brake light. Additionally, i added two 3 inch amber led turn signals to the side of the trunk. Needless to say, if any cager ever hits me, the excuse of "i didn't see you" wont really be a valid one!

[ATTACH]50149[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50150[/ATTACH]

• 1 year later...
By chance a part number for the LED's from JP? I was looking at the side reflectors today thinking a guy could find a clearence light that might fit right into the slot if you could take the reletor part out.

3300773 - Amber

3300774 - Red

$19.99 sold each

Page 133 in my latest J&P Cycle catalog

Edited by wes0778
Correct Typo on amber part #

By way of an alternative, I got 2 LED lights at Wal-Mart (in the bicycle section) that I mounted to the highway bar - one on each side - that serve the same purpose. Each is powered by 2 AA batteries that last 400 - 500 hours, and come with the mounting hardware. No wiring needed. They are very bright, and cost $7 apiece.

I have had my side reflectors changed out to LED for many years now. I have mine wired as turn signals. I have the wire ran through the crash bar and up under the seat. They work great and like it has been said adds that little extra light for turning when beside a car and they cant really see the front or rear turn signals. All my lights on the bike are LED even the driving lights and the head light is HID. I have no problems what so ever so far, knock on wood. Bike is pretty bright for being a black bike.

Knocking the idea around to see if I can localy procure some clearance/marker lights to fill the bill. I was in the W store last night and they hd 1 on the rack that looked like it might work, but it was only 1. I think I'm going to do the rear lightbar deal that has 11 LEDS in it and 3 are tail light and the rest can be hooked up for brake. One of the listings for a part that worked was a autozone part no longer carried. But I think I found the other one they are using on an e-bay auction.

To do the side rear marker lights the way I read it is you peel th current reflector off and then drill your mount/wire hole in it and run wire up/thru tip over bar and connect.

Is there any pics someone knows of of what all is being removed from the reflector mount. To me it looks like 3 parts. The reflector, then like a facia or sub mount and then the actual part that attaches to the bike. Am I right? I spent about 3hr in town today trying to find something that works at the local auto parts stores. I got one at wally world that is like maybe a 1/4 to long, then autozone has one that is maybe a 1/4-5/16 to short but does have a chrome bezel around it so dont think it would be to terrible looking, and a simular light at discount/advance auto.

Well a little more research here at the house and the net. This is the light I found at Autozone. B485r http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/bli/B485R/image/2/ The measurements are 3 3/16x1 1/16 I think. Actually the web site says 1 1/15 but I dont think there is such a thing. So if this is correct it should fit just inside the rime of the part the refelctor is in.

Edited by djh3

Is there any pics someone knows of of what all is being removed from the reflector mount. To me it looks like 3 parts. The reflector, then like a facia or sub mount and then the actual part that attaches to the bike. Am I right? I spent about 3hr in town today trying to find something that works at the local auto parts stores. I got one at wally world that is like maybe a 1/4 to long, then autozone has one that is maybe a 1/4-5/16 to short but does have a chrome bezel around it so dont think it would be to terrible looking, and a simular light at discount/advance auto.

Well a little more research here at the house and the net. This is the light I found at Autozone. B485r http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/bli/B485R/image/2/ The measurements are 3 3/16x1 1/16 I think. Actually the web site says 1 1/15 but I dont think there is such a thing. So if this is correct it should fit just inside the rime of the part the refelctor is in.

:confused24:

It doesn't mention that the (red) B485R is an LED, but the (amber) B485A is an LED. :confused07:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Blazer-3-3-16-x-1-1-15-in-amber-LED-mini-clearance-marker-light/_/N-25ho?itemIdentifier=78372&_requestid=654431

Yea silly aint it. The amber has dimensions and a fair discription. The red on the other hand must have been in put on a Fri afternoon about 450pm. I had one in my hand and the package said LED. Now heres a chuckle. I have 2 AZ stores about oh 8-10 miles apart. Each store has 1 red in stock on the display. So if I decide to use these I have to make a trip to both. That there is stupid I dont care who ya are. This appears to be my best bet. I sure hate to think about spending $50 for the J&P ones. By the time I got shipping thats about what I'll have in it. Besides, these have "chrome" around them :thumbsup2:

Yea silly aint it. The amber has dimensions and a fair discription. The red on the other hand must have been in put on a Fri afternoon about 450pm. I had one in my hand and the package said LED. Now heres a chuckle. I have 2 AZ stores about oh 8-10 miles apart. Each store has 1 red in stock on the display. So if I decide to use these I have to make a trip to both. That there is stupid I dont care who ya are. This appears to be my best bet. I sure hate to think about spending $50 for the J&P ones. By the time I got shipping thats about what I'll have in it. Besides, these have "chrome" around them :thumbsup2:

Says they are eligible for free two day shipping to your home... :confused24:

Ah heck, I'm about dead middle between the 2 stores, its been in the 80's. Need I say more? Just ordered a light bar for the rear like is in on eof the "poormans lightbar" posts. @ $17 I figured I might as well get after it.

Well got the lights mounted up today. About 2-3hr for the first and maybe 30-45 for the second. Lots of enginerrin on the first. :shock3: I ran the wires down from under the seat area thru the tip over bar and out the hole in it to the light. Being as the lights are made for being on a trailer or something that has a ground, it only has like a ground strap inside that the screw is suposed to go into the metal body and also touch this ground strap. So I used a split wire end and slid it under the screw head. I thought pretty ingenious. First problem: where the screw goes ends up being in iterfearence mounting to the bar flush. So I had to move it towards the outside of the marker light and drill my own hole. Then I noticed the other mount screws would do the same so I had to move them. Of course you dont notice until you go to mount and wonder why it wont sit flush. These particular lights are a tick short, but I dont think they look to bad. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow. Got a couple more projects to try to get done. And I'm waiting on my rear light bar.

Well got the lights mounted up today. About 2-3hr for the first and maybe 30-45 for the second. Lots of enginerrin on the first. :shock3: I ran the wires down from under the seat area thru the tip over bar and out the hole in it to the light. Being as the lights are made for being on a trailer or something that has a ground, it only has like a ground strap inside that the screw is suposed to go into the metal body and also touch this ground strap. So I used a split wire end and slid it under the screw head. I thought pretty ingenious. First problem: where the screw goes ends up being in iterfearence mounting to the bar flush. So I had to move it towards the outside of the marker light and drill my own hole. Then I noticed the other mount screws would do the same so I had to move them. Of course you dont notice until you go to mount and wonder why it wont sit flush. These particular lights are a tick short, but I dont think they look to bad. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow. Got a couple more projects to try to get done. And I'm waiting on my rear light bar.

Like to see the Pics!!!

I ran into the same problem, my local AZ store only stocks one each, but the 5 mile away one has one each too. Sunny and upper 60s tomorrow..... :bluesbrother:

Oh from where did you order the light bar???:confused24:

• 3 months later...

I wanted to increase the side visibilty of my '83 XVZ12 by converting the reflectors on the saddlebage and front cooling ducts to LED illuminated reflectors. I had already completed the same project on my '89 Honda PC800 and purchased enough LED strips to work with the Venture.

I know there are some aftermarket LED reflectors available online, but I wanted to see if I could come up with my own conversion. The lens material comes from standard incandescent side marker lamps at $6.00 a pair, the LED smd strips cost under $6.00 a pair from China and the ABS base material was purchased from partsexpress. Not alot of money involved and pretty easy to make. I made up a pair of amber and a pair of red in a couple of hours. Then I let the silicone adheasive set overnight which let me install them the next day. The LED markers are secured with Stainless Steel 3mm pan head screws and wired to operate when ever the key is switched on.

The lenses have a transparent center section to allow the LED lights to shine through and are flanked by reflector prism sections along each edge. Check out the pictures of the finished lights and some of the in process pics.

• 8 months later...

Well I went a completly different route this winter. I took the reflectors off by the bags that I had mounted lights in and bought different LEDs. I also made some brackets and mounted the same lights onthe rear. I wired up the LED's with resistors anddiodes so they work as both running and turn signals. I went with the "clear" lens's and red lights on the rear. I have a pair for the front reflectors AWI (awaiting installation) on another project that requires splitting the fairing. All the info was in another thread here.