IGNORED

Leveling links, WOW!

Motorcycle Mike

I made some leveling links per freebirds instructions and installed them Sunday.

It's hard to believe such a small change can make such a huge differance, but it does.

The one area I have been disapointed in with the RSV is the slow speed handeling. It has been a real chore in some instances.

Well no more! The bike is more nimble and acually feels lighter while doing slow speed manuvers. I went from strugling to do a U-turn to being able to ride tight circles and figure 8s in tight quarters with little effort. I'm sure this will mean better handling in the twisties. I'll test the twisties this weekend.

If you havent done this mod, DO IT!:big-grin-emoticon:

I put the 130 tire on the front to accomplish basically the same result; however, I'm not happy with the way the smaller tire handles on the highway. It's good in the twisties, much better than the stock 150 but it tends to make the bike feel unstable on the straights where the road has a lot of high/low grouves... like where the truckers tire grouves are.

This winter I'm putting a 150 back on and installing the levelling links.

I had recently thought we'd sell the bike and buy a Wing but long-range finance goals would be compromized so the RSV will be staying around for a while.

I installed a center stand on mine, and soon after noticed that I lost considerable lean angle when leaning left. Someone on here recommended these leveling links to rectify that problem. I bought and installed them, and it corrected that problem. well worth the $$$.

Yup, I lowered my front/raised my forks and love it, HUGE difference and it was free. It scrapes a little sooner in the corners but not in a bad way.

Yea, I was aware that I could get the same result by lowereing the front, but I dont want to scrape anything. I get a sharp pain in the ribs everytime I do.

Trader, They replace the stock shock links and raise the rear of the bike about 1 inch.

You can buy them from Diamond R or make them yourself if you have a few tools. Mainly a drill press.

Do a search for leveling links. Lot's of info on them.

We have been yelling for years on this site about how important it is to do something to improve the low speed handling of these bikes, but an awful lot of people just won't listen. I'm glad you finally took care of it.

For the record, the single most important thing you can do to improve the low speed handling of the 2nd gens is to IMEDIATELY get rid of the stock Brickstone tires. Do NOT wait for them to wear out!!!! Any good tires, such as Avon Venoms or Dunlop E3s in stock sizes will produce astounding improvements over the stock Brickstones. (If you bought a new bike an dgot Dunlop D404 tires, you are lucky - they are just average to poor tires, instead of TERRIBLE like the Brickstones.)

After getting rid of that terrible rubber, the next most important thing you can do is raise the rear of the bike by replacing the rear suspension links with ones that are 1/4" shorter - that will raise the rear of the bike by 1". DiamondR sells these under the name "Leveling Links".

Goose

We have been yelling for years on this site about how important it is to do something to improve the low speed handling of these bikes, but an awful lot of people just won't listen. I'm glad you finally took care of it.

After getting rid of that terrible rubber, the next most important thing you can do is raise the rear of the bike by replacing the rear suspension links with ones that are 1/4" shorter - that will raise the rear of the bike by 1". DiamondR sells these under the name "Leveling Links".

Goose

AMEN to the Leveling Links (Diamond R versions).

When the dealer was replacing the leaky rear shock, I had them slip them in. WOW, SHIZAM, INCREADIBLE. Handles the way a 900 lbs crouch rocket should. With ease at slow speed.

Great investment.

Just ordered the links from Diamond R read all the good things that it does for the slow speed handling has anyone experienced any adverse handing at highway speed?

There is absolutely NO negative affects from the Leveling Links, so long as you do not also mount a narrower front tire. If you use both the Leveling Links AND a 130/90-16 front tire, the bike will be quite squirelly when the rear tire is worn and beginning to show a square profile. With stock size tires of a decent brand, the Leveling Links provide a perfect handling experience.

Goose

I made some leveling links per freebirds instructions and installed them Sunday.

It's hard to believe such a small change can make such a huge differance, but it does.

The one area I have been disapointed in with the RSV is the slow speed handeling. It has been a real chore in some instances.

Well no more! The bike is more nimble and acually feels lighter while doing slow speed manuvers. I went from strugling to do a U-turn to being able to ride tight circles and figure 8s in tight quarters with little effort. I'm sure this will mean better handling in the twisties. I'll test the twisties this weekend.

If you havent done this mod, DO IT!:big-grin-emoticon:

And I just made a pair this morning as per Freeebirds instructions! The links were easy to make if you have the right tools! The only problem I had was getting the top link bolt loose! I didn't put the bike on my rack as it looked like I could do it just on the jack, the nuts are pretty thin and getting enough leverage to get them loose was a bit of a chore but with a little help from my wife in steadying the bike was able to get them loose and off. I just went for a short ride and could tell a big difference in slow speed handling right away, feels like I'm setting a little higher but still have no problem sitting flat footed and I've only a 30" inseam. Thanks Freebird for the great post and illustrations!

Larry M

After considering a smaller front tire and front shock mod, I also made and installed a set of leveling links as per Freebirds' instructions. The time involved was aprox. an hour, so if they didn't work, no big loss. I knew I could change back to factory links in 15 minutes.

BUTTTT the factory links will be used for paper weights until I need warranty work done.

While riding the last two weekends enjoying the 75% improvement in slow speed handling as well as being more stable in curves, I interrupted the riding fun long enough to think about how many sets of links I would have made by trial and error before (if ever) I would have made a set that delivers this handling and ride. Also how some make such a big deal with $12.00 per year membership. Even without the enjoyment of all the posts I read daily, or any future mod. that I may do, "WHAT A DEAL". "FREEBIRD THANKS".:thumbsup2:

• 1 year later...

Was interested to read these posts. And I am quite happy with the handling of my ride ,at any speed, However if an improvment is at all possible I would like to try it. But my question is . I am a bit short in the leg area and I feel that by installing leveling links on my 96 royal star and raising the seat height would make it a bit difficult for me to get my leg over, as it were. What is involved in lowering the front by adjusting the front forks. I might add that I have had this ride for three years now and I must be a very cautious rider as I do not recall ever scraping anything. So perhaps that consideration would not matter for me. Thanks in advance for your comments. Cheers Winston66, Australia :backinmyday:

:fingers-crossed-emo