IGNORED

Riding In The Heat

uechi kid

Last weekend our local Star group (Star 186) rode to Mammoth lakes for three days. The temperature while in Mammoth was great 82. But getting there and getting home was HOT 108. WE had a couple of people start to over heat even though they were drinking lots of water. And most of them were wearing cooling vests.

The question is (and I know there are a lot of opinions but looking for medical facts), what is best for re-hydration? I had a road construction worker tell me that he drinks pedialyte instead of Gatorade. He said it keeps him hydrated better. Is there something else that works better. I want to start carrying something for this kind of situation.

Excellent article on rehydration:

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0138.htm

You'll see that Gatorade and the like are a little better than water....but water alone, isn;t enough. Although some resources indicating putting a pinch or two of salt in Gatorade yields better benefits than "plain old Gatorade". Salt seems to be a magic ingredient!

Interesting read!

Walt

Edited by BigBear
Added more data

Guest scarylarry

Wow I did a google base on, pedialyte instead of Gatorade and there was a lot of answers and thoughts..

You may not get a easy answer.

I served over thirty years in the good ole Marine Corps and well over 9 years at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, 29 Palms, Ca better known as MCAGCC. Many times my entire unit had to "hump" well over 25 miles in under 8 hours to pass and what was called a Marine Corp Combat Readiness Evaluation. All we had to drink was water and water is mother natures natural ingredient for getting and remaining hydrated. Gatorade and the like is NOT as good as water as the stuff has too much sugar and other additives. All one needs is water and maybe a little salt as salt has a water retention effect. The 25 mile plus forced marches was conducted sometimes under a "black flag" conditions. Black flags meant no grab a$$ing physical training but a MCRES was mandatory training. One time the temp was 119 degrees and we all remained hydrated with only water. I can't remember exactly, but that time I probably drank over a gallon of water an hour and never had to make a "head call". Water is what the Marine Corps runs on; oh yeah and bunches and bunches and bunches of Class V. When I deployed to Mogadishu, Somalia (just before the Army incident, Black Hawk Down, I was drinking well over 5 gallons of water a day. My canteen was a five gallon water can. I had to go to sick bay because urinating got fairly painful. I was told I had to drink more water. So much for military medicine.

I served over thirty years in the good ole Marine Corps and well over 9 years at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, 29 Palms, Ca better known as MCAGCC. Many times my entire unit had to "hump" well over 25 miles in under 8 hours to pass and what was called a Marine Corp Combat Readiness Evaluation. All we had to drink was water and water is mother natures natural ingredient for getting and remaining hydrated. Gatorade and the like is NOT as good as water as the stuff has too much sugar and other additives. All one needs is water and maybe a little salt as salt has a water retention effect. The 25 mile plus forced marches was conducted sometimes under a "black flag" conditions. Black flags meant no grab a$$ing physical training but a MCRES was mandatory training. One time the temp was 119 degrees and we all remained hydrated with only water. I can't remember exactly, but that time I probably drank over a gallon of water an hour and never had to make a "head call". Water is what the Marine Corps runs on; oh yeah and bunches and bunches and bunches of Class V. When I deployed to Mogadishu, Somalia (just before the Army incident, Black Hawk Down, I was drinking well over 5 gallons of water a day. My canteen was a five gallon water can. I had to go to sick bay because urinating got fairly painful. I was told I had to drink more water. So much for military medicine.

US Army 26 years. Afghanistan 2003, 120 to 130 degrees and 45lbs of combat gear we were drinking gallons per day then peeing ounces maybe 2 or three times a day. The KEY is to monitor the color of your urine (yes you have to look ladies). It should be clear or slightly like water downed lemon aid. Had many guys say they drank enough then the heat got em. Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's) have a powder drink mix that has electrolytes like Gator Aid but the ratio is mostly water. :sun1:

Edited by frogmaster
spelling

Water is best....but.....

You can't just drink when you get hot. If you are planning a trip, then you need to start hydrating with plenty of water a few days before you go. You need to build up the water in your system over time, not just adding it at the last minute. You should drink water ALL OF THE TIME in the summer months, not just when doing strenuous activity.

US Army 26 years. Afghanistan 2003, 120 to 130 degrees and 45lbs of combat gear we were drinking gallons per day then peeing ounces maybe 2 or three times a day. The KEY is to monitor the color of your urine (yes you have to look ladies). It should be clear or slightly like water downed lemon aid. Had many guys say they drank enough then the heat got em. Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's) have a powder drink mix that has electrolytes like Gator Aid but the ratio is mostly water. :sun1:

Roger that!

Water is best....but.....

You can't just drink when you get hot. If you are planning a trip, then you need to start hydrating with plenty of water a few days before you go. You need to build up the water in your system over time, not just adding it at the last minute. You should drink water ALL OF THE TIME in the summer months, not just when doing strenuous activity.

Roger That 2 :banana:

What these fellers said (MasterGuns & frogmaster). Thay ought to know for sure, exsperts I would say. And thanks to the both of you all for what you have done for this country..... I love the United States Of America...

James Darrell Fultz

Thank you for all the great responses. I have always thought that good old H2O was the best to stay hydrated. Like the adage says, an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. But what about re-hydration? Same thing?

And you guys in the military are in top physical condition at an optimal age. I'm worried about 40, 50, 60 and sometimes 70 year olds that aren't in good shape in that heat trying to recover and get back on a bike to get home safely.

I have a cup holder on the bike and I stop every 100 miles or so, top off the gas tank, drink anything but alcohol, fill up my insulated mug and repeat. I start drinking before I get thirsty and also use one of those neck coolers. I keep a couple of extra neck coolers in a zip lock bag full of ice and water in the saddle bag and put on a fresh one every time I stop. I am 63 years old and have never had a problem with overheating.

Hey guys I get it. An ounce of prevention is Worth a pound of cure. I'm trying to get some information about first aid after the people I ride with don't take care of them selves ahead of time. I just want everyone to get home safe.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-heat-exhaustion/FA00020

Here is a link to first aid info. I allways carry lots of water and in the summer I have cool scarfs and vest in a plastic bag on the bike. I have been riding and had friends get over heated. Wetting them down works good to bring the core temp down. We freeze water bottles so have cold water all day. Rod

This one other reason I always pull the BEERCART with me when wife and I ride. Not only having a cooler filled with water, ice, soda, BEER, and also cooling vest & neckwraps, chairs, umbrella, USGI poncho, folding mechanics pad, jerky, crackers, Lil Debbie's, andlarge First Aid Kit. We stop every 100-120 miles for fuel whether we need it or not as more importantly to take care of ourselves.

BEER30

That's why I built my trailer hitch with a platform to carry a small cooler on it, so that we always have plenty of water with us when we ride. Came into good use when we were on the Lake Michigan ride during the IR when a couple of riders needed some fresh cool water to drink. Also keeps your cost down, load up some bottles that only cost you 15 cents each versus a dollar or more from the convenient store cooler!

For those that need a cool=down on the ride, shade, water and time is the only thing to use! I even climbed into the cooler at the DQ we stopped at on the above mentioned ride to help cool down the body a bit! Use whatever means neccesary and available when needed.

JMHO

Dano

I don't drink cold water on hot days, drink tempeture water, and a bag of salted peanuts, or sea salt chips (or if your can find them) salt taps. I also carry a box of wet ones, to cool your face down. and a dry towel. and fruit juices. OJ and Pineapple work the best (mini cans) & no soda.

make sure you wear a long sleve shirts, to catch the sweat. it will keep you cooler.

and sun screens, even if you don't like the stuff:biker:

• 2 weeks later...

I carry Propel, it is a powder you can buy at most grocery stores that you add to water. It comes in a 10 pack and just pour it into a bottle of water and shack. Comes in different flavors and helps replensish electolyes like gatorade or sports drinks, but much cheaper.

Going and coming from STAR Days it was near 100 degrees for the 600 mile (one way) ride for the wife and I. We both have drink holders and insulated cups. I have heard the back and forth about room temp water and cold water, but when you need to cool off, cold water is wonderful, and after a few seconds in the body, it is warm anyway.

We had a cooler with ice and bottled water on the trailer, wet cloths around our necks, and we wet down our shirts a lot.

But MOST important was to stop every 45 minutes to an hour at most. Find shade, cool down, drink more water (I would drink 32 ounces an hour and the wife had a 20 ounce drink). We also carried apples and oranges, these make an excellent source of energy and more liquid.

And of course ICE CREAM, the bikers friend whenever possible just for fun.

• 1 year later...
Guest Rev'n Ahead

Having spent 4 years in southern Brazil and 22 in eastern Africa here's what I've learned:

1. Carry lots of water every where you go. Never hurts to have a few frozen bottles of water on hand.

2. I choose frozen bottles (put them in the chest freezer at home the night before) as they melt fast enough to keep you hydrated and are always cold.

3. Prefer cold to "room temp" as it works real good for wetting a rag for a neck wrap or head cloth. If you have a chance to wash up (tap anywhere) get as wet as you can (head/neck/arms/ etc) and do not dry it off, let it soak in to dry. Be careful though with drinking any unknown water - cholera REALLY sucks - trust me, I know! :sick:

4. No soda, no sweet drinks unless they are pure (and usually watered down) fruit juice.

5. Carry fresh fruit. Apples are best but also good are oranges and (if you have trailer or driving a car) I like pineapples and/or watermelon: a pain to cut up, but a great snack.

6. Stay ahead of dehydration - do NOT wait until you are thirsty to start drinking, pay attention to how you are feeling.

7. Mints an gum are deceptive: if on a long dry trip, avoid these except for right before you are going to be meeting up with other people... fresh breath is always a good thing.

8. Yes, keep a eye on your urine. Clear or slightly yellow/grey is normal - if it's getting dark - you are dehydrated already. Get busy and purposeful on your re-hydration.

9. Yes, keep your body covered with light cloth. Have you noticed that the desert dwellers (nomads) are always covered from head to toe? Good idea! Really. I've had many people ask me why I'm not tanned like crazy if I've lived in Brazil+Africa for so many years - easy: I stayed covered up all the time - except at the beach of course. Beach visits were limited to 15-20 minutes in the sun (with lotion) and then back to the shade! Gotta be careful, I was born white after all.

10. Take care of everyone else who is with you on your trips and travels. If you are wise, share it with others.

Hope that'll help.

One of the reasons I bought a Geigerrig hydration pak is so I could spray a bit of water on myself to help with cooling on a hot day. also, I liked that I can let someone else get some water without sharing the mouthpiece as they can spray it.

http://www.geigerrig.com all I bought was thehydration pack, no backpack as I have enough bags already.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Ffeature%3Dplayer_embedded%26v%3D95rIwdlhCm8&feature=player_embedded&v=95rIwdlhCm8&gl=CA

Mark

Number 10 is excellent advice:

(10. Take care of everyone else who is with you on your trips and travels. If you are wise, share it with others).

Some people are just not tuned into these situations until it is too late. This is a good subject and anyone riding any type of distance should be knowledgeable on this topic, not only for themselves, but also so they can share the information with their friends to keep them safe.

Thanks

• 9 months later...

A little late on the thread. I lived in Phoenix for 4 years and rode daily to work all year round. In the summer it would be an easy 110 + on the ride home. Sometimes 100 in the morning. I constantly used a camelback. Drank it even when I wasn't thirsty. And when we would go on summer rides 2up it was easy to share the hose with my wife. We also had the cooling scarfs. I rode a Suzuki C50 water cooled.