I may have read something on here somewhere about starting an 88 venture in gear. Are you suppose to be able to start one of these bikes in gear with clutch out. I am going to work on my cruse this weekend and I know somebody said something about a clutch switch. :think::think:

Bike should not start in gear with clutch out.

It will start in neutral with side stand down or up and clutch in or out.

Will not start in gear with side stand down at all.

Will start in gear with clutch pulled.

Attached is a PDF file showing starting circuits for your bike.

Gary

Check that the switch that is located behind (to the right) of the clutch handle is fully seated in its socket. Sometimes these come loose and shift out of place, then give a false signal that the clutch is pulled in.

If it is fully seated, try pushing forward on clutch handle and see if it will start.

Also check connector inside of head light housing and make sure switch wiring is plugged in. If it is unplugged or connectors are dirty, it would start in gear.

My guess is you need a replacement clutch switch if all the above checks out.

If your bike has cruise, you need a 4 wire switch.

Gary

alright I went out and tried the bike. If I push out on the clutch lever the bike will not start. If I pull in just slightly it will start. Is there anyway I can adjust this or if I try to use the cruse will I just have to make sure the lever is out. There seems to me a lot of play in the lever. Is there anything I can do.:think::think:

I had to replace my handle it was so wore out it would not close the switch. Got a new one from the dealer,price wasnt to bad.

Pivot point on clutch lever will wear out. It doesn't have to wear much to cause enough play to mess you up on the starting in gear and cruise control. Sounds like it's time for a new lever.