IGNORED

Are all heights RSV the same?

hi guys, I installed leveling links on my buddy's bike (I have a lot of friends who happen to ride RSV lol)

his bike is a silver 2005 and it sits a lot lower than my 2006 and my other buddy's 2008 RSV. Even after installing the leveling links, it is much lower. I have 30" inseams and keep my rear shock at around 40 psi and when straddling the bike I'm on my balls of my feet, heels are off the floor. But on his bike, I'm flat footed on the floor. I have the Butler seat on mine and all 3 bikes are stock as far as suspension goes.. but the silver bike is that much lower..

Any ideas what might cause that? We tried measuring diff parts of the bike to see where the height difference was and we find that the trunk, read fender bottom, top of tank, top of front fender all have difference measurements.. So odd.

They should be the same. See if the front forks are even in the tree on all the bikes. The air pressure will change the height. Let the air out and measure again. Let us know what you find. Rod

I agree that something isn't right. I know of no differences at all between the various years. Are you sure that they all have the same seats? I know that the optional Yamaha touring seat was made by Corbin and they will seat you a bit lower.

My '06 is a little lower at the tip of the back fender than several other RSVs. And I have the leveling links. And I keep 55 psi in the shock.

I suspect the shock. Why? Because it seems to be the most likely variable. Everything else is pretty much the same. Frames are the same. Swing arms are the same. Linkage parts are the same. The shock, however, is a standard (if somewhat smallish) cartridge shock with a coil spring around it, all inside a couple of tin cans that slide one into the other. I suspect that the shocks come out a little different when they're made. With the geometry involved, a quarter inch can make a pretty big difference.

I'm planning on taking the bike back to the dealer this fall and trying to get a new shock out of 'em. The bike should have over 50k on it, so the shock has to be groaning by then - it's not like they're really lifetime items, I mean, they're shocks, we used to go through 'em like tires. I'm also planning on measuring the distance from the bottom of the rear fender tip to the ground with the bike standing but no weight on it and 55psig in the shock. If I get 'em to change it, I plan on measuring after I get it back too. Just out of curiosity. Of course if the one they put in just happens to be the same length as the one they take out...

But it's all really just a guess.

I'm tempted to say it is not possible, except I know you are actually seeing it! Even if the bike had a lowering kit on it, you said you replaced the links, so that would put the rear at least back to stock. And I assume you are measuring things with the bike held straight up?

The only things I know about that can affect the height of the rear fender tip would be:

• tire (profile size and wear)
  • rear shock (different brand or amount of air)
  • link length
  • lowered front (will cause the bike to pivot on the rear axle, thus slightly raising the measurement at the rear fender tip).

I would start by measuring the rear axle to ground - compare that to the other bikes. No changes to the bike except tire and rear wheel could affect the height of the axle.

Before doing any other measurements, make sure the top of the front forks is level with the top of the triple tree - if they are sticking up at all, this indicates someone has tried to lower the bike.

Next, I would make sure the shocks on both bikes were set at the same air pressure and had no significant weight in the bags or trunk, then try to measure the distance from the ground to the top and bottom bolts on both the suspension links and the shock. Since only a 1/4" (approximately) shorter link actually raises the rear of the bike by 1", I'm not sure what differences you should be able to see in those measurements until I go out and lay under my bike and think about it, but if there is a significant difference in any of them, it probably will point to whatever is different on the bike.

Finally, measure the distance from the ground to the fender tip on both bikes. If you post or send me all this info, I might be able to point out what is causing the difference. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks for the replies guys.. For Goose, here's what I can tell you after reading your response (thanks)

I did a measurement from the axle and they are very close.. Both bikes have E3s with different but close enough wear so it wasn't there making the difference.

I'm going by memory and don't have specific measurements but here is where the differences are. Remember, both bikes are stock, both have leveling links.. rear shocks close enough in pressure but grey bike has zero in front shocks while the 2008 has 5 psi (as mine does)..

The 2008 was rear ended the other year but repaired and we thought, ahh that must be why.. but his 2008 measures fairly close to my 2006 Midnight.. Huh.

With the bike on the kick stand, there is a marked difference from the ground up to the under side of the rear fender. (always ensuring the tape dangle perpendicular to the floor)

Measuring from the floor up to the trunk key hole there is about 2.5 inch difference

Measuring from the ceiling down to the top of the gas tank is also about 2 inches of difference.. but various points of the engine (right side easier to measure) is rather close..

So odd.. We have another buddy with a Midnight who is coming in later to get his carbs synched and we're going to measure up his bike to see which is the standard or if all 4 bikes measure differently lol.. so funny though.. Once I get all 4 bikes in the same place I'll try to get you those measurements..

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the bikes, just one of those odd things.

I have a 2006 and a 30" inseam, also. I was just barely flatfooted with the bike stock, so I think your bike's height sounds the same as mine, since raising the back with leveling links and adding 40psi to the shock would surely put me up on the balls of my feet.

I also test rode a 2005 and a 2009, and those were the same stock height, as I was just flatfooted on them, also.

Since leveling links are the only home made item that could vary significantly, I'd echo the recommendation to measure the links. If someone accidentally made the leveling links longer (rather than shorter), thinking (backwards) that longer would raise the rear, that would account exactly for the 2" difference.

Just a guess.

:)