OK, so yesterday I plan to head out for a ride after church with a couple of buddies on my 98 RSTD. When I get to church I smell some gas but am unable to find any leaks. When I leave and we are heading over to fuel up I smell it again and now look down to see fuel pouring down the right side of the cases (also some on the left side but not as much). When I stop to check it out it quits when I shut the engine down. Never having seen this before I start it up and try and see what is up but can only see gas coming from what appears to be the crank case breather assembly. Of course this makes no sense so I head for the house. We stop to get something to eat and watch a little football, when I get back on the bike and head for the house I have no leak? Now I am beginning to think this must be a sticking float on one or more of the carbs, right? Need some advice first if there might be some other cause then also if I need to do a complete teardown on the carbs or will seafoam help this out?

As always, thanks for the input.

Yeah, you had a float sticking. This good deal ethanol stuff the environmental folks are so fond of is not good for carburated engines that may set every now and then. If it quit leaking, I would run some seafoam through it and make sure and put some fuel stabalizer in anytime it was going to set for over a week.

Thanks for the input guys. You have confirmed my suspicions and I will act accordingly. BTW, how regular are you adding Seafoam? With 2 bikes and more miles being put on the V-Strom than the RSTD I am clueless how often to add the stuff.

Thanks again for the input.

Norm

I used to add a couple oz. about every other tank but it is getting too pricey for that. When you have it running good add some Marvel Mystery Oil every once in a while. Couple ounces every 3rd or 4th tank. It is pretty good stuff and will keep system clean. At Wally World in Red bottle. Been around for years.

• 3 years later...

I started up my '05 RSTD for the first time this season and noticed to my horror gasoline spewing out everywhere, including the left exhaust pipe.

This thread suggests a stuck float which a friend also suggested, for the same ethanol reasons. My only question is: How much Seafoam is too much Seafoam?

Thanks...

I catch enough flack for the Sea-Foam. It is Great stuff and if you use it will prevent 95 per cent of carb problems if used as you should. I don't use it as often as I used to because it is getting so pricey. I only use a little about every 3rd tank and if taking a trip I'll usually give it a strong dose. But I buy by the Gallon when it is on sale. I mix it with other stuff to make it go even further. Forgot to treat my Lawn Mower last fall and it won't start!!

The needle and seat are only about $20 and about an hour and half or so to install.... Now, what can happen... # 3 cylinder can fill with fuel and when you start it....or try....the piston rod can bend...no really..I know this for a fact!! Now for safety...turn off the fuel petcock when not running especially if you park in the garage with a hot water or utility closet in it...The amount of seafoam used is...when our low fuel light comes on, dump the entire can in the tank, drive about 5 miles park the bike overnight. Start the next morning, drive it like you stole it, fill the tank. If this does not fix it , buy the needle and seat and set the float levels.

My tow cents.

Bill