IGNORED

texas roads

Guest ludlow

Sounds like you had a great time..Being I live in Blanco I go out there when I need to get "Peace of Mind" and I can just get totally lost in thought out there..It is a great ride and a "Must See and Do" for those coming to Texas. Tom

GREAT PICTURES DAVE !!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Ain't that part of the county a wonderful place to ride... I wish I was about 100 miles closer so I could go more often.. Getting down there and doing the Three Sisters then getting back home is about 500 miles.... If it were just normal riding that would be a walk in the park but I can't hold back when I get into the twisties....:sign13::sign13:

You are right about 336 having plenty of cattle guards but they aren't all that bad. A couple will get you off the seat but the rest are pretty smooth... Of the three it is my least favorite... Isn't that little section of 55 a hoot? Sometimes I run to the top of the hill from Barksdale just for that short distance then turn around and go back...

Next time you get all the way to Rock Springs and have the time (I'd schedule it) there is a road (FM674) that runs from just south of Rock Springs down to Bracketville on US90 that is a super diversion..... Don't get me wrong - it's not 335 or 337 but you would have a time for sure.....:clap2::clap2:

Glad you had a good time. Too bad you buddy had the mechanical problem. Sort of takes some of the sweet away....

Sounds like you had a great time..Being I live in Blanco I go out there when I need to get "Peace of Mind" and I can just get totally lost in thought out there..It is a great ride and a "Must See and Do" for those coming to Texas. Tom

Hey Tom, on our way back we ran from Luckenbach to Blanco. That is a great little stretch too!

Thanks for the pics. Great photos. Not boring to me. Glad ya got to go.

Ponch :missingtooth:

Thanks Ponch!

GREAT PICTURES DAVE !!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Ain't that part of the county a wonderful place to ride... I wish I was about 100 miles closer so I could go more often.. Getting down there and doing the Three Sisters then getting back home is about 500 miles.... If it were just normal riding that would be a walk in the park but I can't hold back when I get into the twisties....:sign13::sign13:

You are right about 336 having plenty of cattle guards but they aren't all that bad. A couple will get you off the seat but the rest are pretty smooth... Of the three it is my least favorite... Isn't that little section of 55 a hoot? Sometimes I run to the top of the hill from Barksdale just for that short distance then turn around and go back...

Next time you get all the way to Rock Springs and have the time (I'd schedule it) there is a road (FM674) that runs from just south of Rock Springs down to Bracketville on US90 that is a super diversion..... Don't get me wrong - it's not 335 or 337 but you would have a time for sure.....:clap2::clap2:

Glad you had a good time. Too bad you buddy had the mechanical problem. Sort of takes some of the sweet away....

Thanks for the route suggestion! I definitely plan to go back. I just need more vacation time. :-)

Well, we road the Three Twisted Sisters, and I got the t-shirt to prove it! :-)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3244/3036620914_585792f961_m.jpg

Actually, we rode two of the three, but the replacement leg was so good that I will count it!

This was a group of seven bikes, mainly Harley riders, but there was also a Honda Shadow 750. I was tickled that my wife road two-up with me. That was a bit doubtful before we mounted up, because it was 42F when we left!

We started in Kerrville, stopping near Hunt to pick up another rider. Then we went and visited "Stonehenge II" outside Hunt. We backtracked to Hwy 39 and headed south and west to Hwy 187. That Hwy 39 section is gorgeous!

We intended to stop at Lost Maples State Park, which is off Hwy 187. But there was a half-mile long wait to get in and it was 45 degrees or so. We pushed on.

We turned right on Hwy 337 at Vanderpool to begin our Twisted Sisters experience. That is a terrific road! There is even a guy who stands at a scenic top and grabs your photo as you whiz by. You can pick it up later at TxMotoFoto.com.

We stopped on Hwy 337 just west of Leakey at a place called the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop. That's a nice place, a better than typical stop in my experience.

Pushing on Hwy 337 towards Camp Wood, we suffered a bike breakdown in our group. After a while, the group minus this bike made it to Camp Wood. Finally, we decided he needed a tow and we called AAA. They sent a wrecker from Uvalde, over an hour away. The rider insisted we leave him along the road and continue. In his place, I would have insisted too.

We had lunch in Camp Wood to salvage some use of our time. We ate at the Holy Smoke on Hwy 55 just south of Hwy 337. They had great pulled pork, quickly served.

Turning north, we took Hwy 55 north to Rock Springs. This is the non-Sister section we took in lieu of Hwy 336. Hwy 336 apparently features lots of cattle crossings, forcing a slow down. So instead we took Hwy 55 and rocketed through sweepers at an alarming pace. So much fun! Going uphill most of the way, I could regulate my speed by just using the throttle. It was a blast!

At Rock Springs, we went on Hwy 377 to Hwy 41. Then we turned right on Hwy 335, another of the official Sisters. My friends call this the Roller Coaster, and the name fits. Lots of vertical curves through great ranch country. This was my favorite section, a superb ride. I scraped my pegs for the first time, riding two-up! I think we even saw some giraffes and camels along this stretch! 8-)

We got back to Camp Wood and retraced our path. We were going to continue on Hwy 337 to Medina, because the stretch between Vanderpool and Medina is apparently great as well. However, we found that our buddy was still stuck on the road some four hours later! As chance would have it, the tow truck arrived minutes later and we helped push his bike up onto the flatbed.

After a pitstop back at the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop, we headed up Hwy 83 and onto Hwy 39. We were able to help our buddy unload his bike back at his house in Hunt.

By the time we got back to hour hotel in Kerrville, we'd gone 250 miles in 10 hours. It was a great day.

If you want to see my trip photos, you can click here for a guest pass to my Flickr photos from the trip. Warning: boring!

Dave,You forgot one thing..If you had your VentureRider list with you I would have come pick up the guy that was broke down.I dont care if he is a member or not I will always be available to get another that is stranded! Next time write down my number,If I am not out on the road I will come get Ya..ANYTIME of the night or day. Tom

Dave,You forgot one thing..If you had your VentureRider list with you I would have come pick up the guy that was broke down.I dont care if he is a member or not I will always be available to get another that is stranded! Next time write down my number,If I am not out on the road I will come get Ya..ANYTIME of the night or day. Tom

I appreciate that Tom. I think he was a bit embarrassed to have broken down, and wanted quit of us ASAP. He thought he'd only be out there an hour with AAA on the way. But that is really great advice for my next trip!

Gold Wing,Same Invite applies to you..I know Sleeperhawk and Sleeperhawks mechanic met with me close to Angelo at Lowake Staek house one day and besides good steaks,more than I could eat,We had a nice meet..Next time I cruise over that way I will give you a buzz..I am off this week so who knows where I will ride. I do know I will be in West Texas Thursday and Friday. Tom

Tom, that was so great hearing from you when you guys were at Lowake last Saturday! Hope you had plenty to eat there!

Both George and I were reminiscing Saturday afternoon - wished we could have just hopped on the bike and come on over!:happy-emoticon:

Tom' date=' that was so great hearing from you when you guys were at Lowake last Saturday! Hope you had plenty to eat there![/color']

Both George and I were reminiscing Saturday afternoon - wished we could have just hopped on the bike and come on over!:happy-emoticon:

Yes Bobbie you and George were on our minds as we rode thru Downtown Paint Rock and the cottonfields but I have to Admit I really could not hardly wait to call you when we started to eat there in Lowake..YES,They were really good too! Maybe we can meet again sometime there! Tom

Yes Bobbie you and George were on our minds as we rode thru Downtown Paint Rock and the cottonfields but I have to Admit I really could not hardly wait to call you when we started to eat there in Lowake..YES,They were really good too! Maybe we can meet again sometime there! Tom

Sounds like a plan to me! :thumbsup:

Next time we come out there, we will have to have a Meet and Eat at Lowake!:cool10::cool10::cool10:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Here are some pic.s I took a few years ago while on my old Goldwing

txwingnut The pic.s don't really do the area justice as it looks much nicer in person!

Hill Country Update

Stonehenge II has been taken down. BOO!!

Last rumor I heard was it would be relocated but haven't heard when or where.

Long Live Stonehenge II !

http://i40.tinypic.com/8wcqkm.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/nbuc6c.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/iylx08.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 8 years later...
On 2/3/2023 at 12:02 PM, slasher302 said:

LOL you only need to go near Texas A&M to see this. Not sure if anyone Knew but they have a fairly large logistics studies at TA&M. They actually have a highway where they have the 2 sides switch. Frankly I think it's stupid and if there were much traffic here accidents would be out of control. We were on it this weekend.  My son said welcome to England once they flopped and then Welcome Home when they returned. The thought is that they increase exit traffic flow.  Don't see it.  Kind of like a round about instead of a 4 way.

Google Maps

image.thumb.png.e0f666ef0b4d6fbd1801478c847c9644.png

• Like 1