IGNORED

RSTD Windshield Bag Installed

Since I bought my 2007 RSTD Midnight last year I have wanted to install a Tri-pouch Windshield Bag. I searched the forums here and elsewhere trying to locate one that would work, never finding what I wanted. Recently I took a chance and purchased a Carolina Leather Windshield Bag Number 721 http://www.carolinaleatherworks.com/winbag721.html

This weekend I finally got a chance to install it and I am very happy with the results. I simply took off the windshield, Removed the three center bolts, inserted the bag, aligned it, marked the location of the holes, and drilled the plastic backer attached to the bag. I then installed the backer between the shield and the metal bar on the rear of the shield and reinserted and tightened the bolts.

The only problem I had was getting the bolts reattached with the extra thickness of the plastic in there. After numerous tries I was able to get all the bolts reattached and everything reinstalled.

I did loose the right side cables from their guide on the frontend of the bike to enable the bags to slide on and had to slightly adjust the cables to get the shield back on.

So if you’re like me and searching for a windshield bag for a RSTD this might be the answer for you.

Scott

Edited by okscott

Since I bought my 2007 RSTD Midnight last year I have wanted to install a Tri-pouch Windshield Bag. I searched the forums here and elsewhere trying to locate one that would work, never finding what I wanted. Recently I took a chance and purchased a Carolina Leather Windshield Bag Number 721 http://www.carolinaleatherworks.com/winbag721.html

This weekend I finally got a chance to install it and I am very happy with the results. I simply took off the windshield, Removed the three center bolts, inserted the bag, aligned it, marked the location of the holes, and drilled the plastic backer attached to the bag. I then installed the backer between the shield and the metal bar on the rear of the shield and reinserted and tightened the bolts.

The only problem I had was getting the bolts reattached with the extra thickness of the plastic in there. After numerous tries I was able to get all the bolts reattached and everything reinstalled.

I did loose the right side cables from their guide on the frontend of the bike to enable the bags to slide on and had to slightly adjust the cables to get the shield back on.

So if you’re like me and searching for a windshield bag for a RSTD this might be the answer for you.

Scott

I have the same one mounted on my RSTD.I like it alot.:guitarist 2:

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Well it didn't exactly take 10 minutes, but it was a fun project and looks great!

I had no such luck "sliding" the plastic backing in between the windshield and brackets with the 3 center bolts loosened. The gasket continued to get out of place... I eventually took a lot of bolts out the get everything aligned properly. Also make note that the 2nd bolt in on both sides are LONGER to accommodate the lower leg brackets. Took a few minutes and some creative swearing to figure this out...

When I put the windshield back on the bike there was an issue with the center bag pulling down towards the top of the speedo?? So much so that I could not get it unlatched easily. I see on your pictures that there is not a center rivet at the bottom of your center bag attaching it to the plastic backing, but there is on mine?? This doesn't allow the bag to sit up in the center and causes it to "pinch" in... strange. (See Photos)

I would just make sure to give yourself enough time to do this all properly. I removed the bottom rivet on the center bag and it solved all the issues. Had i realized, I would have removed the rivet BEFORE putting the bag on.

[ATTACH]76136[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]76137[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]76138[/ATTACH]

All in all, this is a really nice, heavy duty thick leather windshield pouch. highly recommend for the price!!