IGNORED

Driver's back rest

New here but I was told by a friend that this is the place to come to if you needed information about the Venture. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question or if it's been asked but hey, like I said, I'm a newbie here.

I just bought an '09 Royal Star Venture S. My question to you riders is, does anyone know somewhere I can pick up an after-market driver's back rest? One that is easy to install, able to fold down to allow a passenger easy access to the back seat and perhaps even removable for simple, every day local riding. My back ain't what it used to be and I'm looking for something for long distance riding. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.......

Bluez

:cool17:

You have several options.

Diamond R Accessories makes a very nice one. They are also GREAT to deal with and are a very good supporter of VentureRider.org

http://diamondraccessories.com

Utopia also makes a nice one.

http://www.utpr.com

Both fold forward but neither are quick detachable.

The only ones I know of that are quick and easy to remove are those that come with custom seats and plug into a hole is the seat. Corbin, Travelcade, a few others offer such custom seats and backrests but you are going to pay BIG MONEY for them. I have the Corbin on mine and love it but you are talking upwards of $700.00 for a new seat, backrest, etc.

Utopia makes a nice one. It's been a while since I ordered mine but if memory serves me right I think for an additional charge you can get one that is removable. I ride alone so I didn't pay much attention to that. I can't speak for the rest but from everything I hear the other companies listed above make nice ones also. Now I know if your short like me 5'10 1/2" the Utopia hits a little high on my back. It is adjustable but even all the way down it still hit a little high for me. However if you turn it upside down it fits me just about perfect. You do lose a little of the fold down ability because the bottom of the backrest is so close to the top of the seat. I have a 2000 RSV and my understanding is in 2002 they redesigned the seat to make them a little more comfortable so I don't know how that effected the fold down ability if you mount it upside down. The seat is also adjustable for the tilt to make it more comfortable. If your taller then no problem you can leave the Utopia upright and fold it over but if Utopia offers a quick disconnect (which I think they do) then you really don't need it to fold over. If you go to the Utopia website listed above I sure it will tell you. Super nice people to work with and A+ quality.:)

Hey Mariner - I also felt my Diamond R pushed my a little far foward. I am 6'2" w/ 36" inseam. I took the backrest loose from the mount, and put it back together with the slide part from the backpad BEHIND the slide part from the lower bracket. Since both slides are 1/4" thick, this moves the pad back 1/2". The only thing that may not work for you is this limits how low the pad can be adjusted. But if you are tall enough to do this, it will probably be low enough for you. Try it, only takes 10 min, change it back if you don't like!

I had a Utopia... For about 3 weeks... It pushed me too far forward and when I tried to adjust it back further the little screw would slip off the back side of the bracket and just flop backwards... It always felt too low for me and I had it adjusted for the highest setting... I really don't see the big attraction with these things... On long rides I found it to be a negative as it limits the repositioning I'm allowed to do without a backrest...It's a PITA to get off and on the bike... I've done back to back 1000 mile days and 60K on my RSV without a backrest... No thanks... Been there, done that

Now if someone had a Corbin to swap for my pillowtop I would like to try out that... I'm too cheap to buy one but if I found a good deal... The Corbin looks like you don't need a backrest...

Edited by MAINEAC

I've seen Mainac post a few times about how uncomfortable the back rest was for him. There are also at least a couple of other members who had similar experiences. Most of us LOVE the backrests though. I don't know what the difference is between the body types of those of us who like the backrests and those who don't but there must be something.

I am 6'3" tall with about a 35 inch inseam. I had the Utopia before buying my Corbin seat which has a Corbin backrest and I can tell you that whether it be a Utopia, Diamond R, Corbin, whatever .... If I were only allowed ONE accessory for my bike, it would be the backrest. It literally makes all the difference in me being able to only ride about 50 miles without a backache or 1000 miles without a backache. The backrest saves me.

I'm shorter than you guys at 5'10 1/2" so I don't need as much leg room I guess. I love my Utopia.I don't think the original question was who likes backrest and who doesn't. The origal question was who makes a good backrest. Bluesman said he had a bad back and wants a backrest. So lets advise him on what type of backrest to get not try and talk him out of getting one. I had to turn my Utopia upside down because I didn't like it hitting me so high in the back even set at it's lowest setting. I have a friend about my hight that did the same thing. To me the Utopia has plenty of adjustability frontwards and backwards up and down. It seems to me (and I'm only guessing here because I haven't done it or needed to do it) that if you back the screw out so far that it vibrates out I would think you should be able to back the screw all the way out and put a nut on the bolt and screw it back into the seatback and thighten the nut to hold it in place. Another reason I like a back rest is when I put my feet on my highway pegs without the backrest my feet feel like I need to hold them on because the seat doesn't hold me in place. When I put the backrest on I can apply some preasure to lock my legs and feet in with out fear of hitting a bump and my foot falling off the highway peg. Now my foot peg his highly adjustable so I have as much leg room as neccessary. When you turn the Utopia upside down the seatback doesn't flop down over the seat. I have a friend that rides double all the time and it doesn't seam to be a problem and I like the fact that I don't have to lift the seatback up everytime I have to get on the RSV.

New here but I was told by a friend that this is the place to come to if you needed information about the Venture. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question or if it's been asked but hey, like I said, I'm a newbie here.

I just bought an '09 Royal Star Venture S. My question to you riders is, does anyone know somewhere I can pick up an after-market driver's back rest? One that is easy to install, able to fold down to allow a passenger easy access to the back seat and perhaps even removable for simple, every day local riding. My back ain't what it used to be and I'm looking for something for long distance riding. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.......

Bluez

:cool17:

When I had my stock pillow top seat on my 2003 I used a Utopia. Loved it. Along the way I had the opportunity to pick up a used Corbin seat. I thought I try it and if I don't like it could probably resell it. WOW!! Best switch I ever made. The way the Corbin is constructed it sets me about 1 1/2" lower and is dished out in such a way the the seat itself naturally supports my lower back. I have a bad back so I was really surprised at how much better I felt and how much longer I could ride in a day. 300 miles further, from 400/day to 700/day! Check out my gallery picks for a look at the before and after.

Jay

I'm shorter than you guys at 5'10 1/2" so I don't need as much leg room I guess. I love my Utopia.I don't think the original question was who likes backrest and who doesn't. The origal question was who makes a good backrest. Bluesman said he had a bad back and wants a backrest. So lets advise him on what type of backrest to get not try and talk him out of getting one. I had to turn my Utopia upside down because I didn't like it hitting me so high in the back even set at it's lowest setting. I have a friend about my hight that did the same thing. To me the Utopia has plenty of adjustability frontwards and backwards up and down. It seems to me (and I'm only guessing here because I haven't done it or needed to do it) that if you back the screw out so far that it vibrates out I would think you should be able to back the screw all the way out and put a nut on the bolt and screw it back into the seatback and thighten the nut to hold it in place. Another reason I like a back rest is when I put my feet on my highway pegs without the backrest my feet feel like I need to hold them on because the seat doesn't hold me in place. When I put the backrest on I can apply some preasure to lock my legs and feet in with out fear of hitting a bump and my foot falling off the highway peg. Now my foot peg his highly adjustable so I have as much leg room as neccessary. When you turn the Utopia upside down the seatback doesn't flop down over the seat. I have a friend that rides double all the time and it doesn't seam to be a problem and I like the fact that I don't have to lift the seatback up everytime I have to get on the RSV.

Exactly!

I'm shorter than you guys at 5'10 1/2" so I don't need as much leg room I guess. I love my Utopia.I don't think the original question was who likes backrest and who doesn't. The origal question was who makes a good backrest. Bluesman said he had a bad back and wants a backrest. So lets advise him on what type of backrest to get not try and talk him out of getting one.

I think you are refering to my post.... 1st. I wasn't trying to talk anybody out of anything.... 2nd. I wasn't responding to the "original" question... I was responding to this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariner Fan viewpost.gif

Backrests blow. They push you up into the gas tank.....:stirthepot:

You, my friend, have never tried a Utopia with the adjustable backrest...:D

Hope that clears it up for you... I guess I shoulda used a quote in the response

• 3 weeks later...
I'm shorter than you guys at 5'10 1/2" so I don't need as much leg room I guess. I love my Utopia.I don't think the original question was who likes backrest and who doesn't. The origal question was who makes a good backrest. Bluesman said he had a bad back and wants a backrest. So lets advise him on what type of backrest to get not try and talk him out of getting one.

Believe me, noone will talk me out of getting a back rest. I found out all too well the comfort it provides. Rode to Sturgis from Toronto and back in '03 on my '02 Roadstar, 1700 miles one way. 2 days to get there, 3 in Sturgis (riding the whole time through the Black Hills), and 2 days back (I only had one week of holidays at the time). Just west of Chicago, I started to feel the first pains in my lower back so I readjusted my gear so it would press up against my back and more precisely, add support for my lower lumbar. What a world of a difference it made! It gave me the much needed relief I needed to continue the ride and if I hadn't of thought of doing exactly that, I would have ended up limping home without seeing Sturgis first hand. Though I have yet to have one installed on any ride I've owned, at my age, I ain't gonna do without it any longer!

Bluez :cool17:

PS: Thank you everyone for your input!!!

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

Diamond R! I can't speak for or against the others. I went with Diamond R because I had to do nothing to the bike except just put it on. I am crippled without it. I also have the ortho deluxe pad for the seat. Perfect! I'm 6'4 and weigh 290. I have plenty of room.