IGNORED

Windshield Cleaning

celling

I know that somewhere in this site is a thread about how to properly clean a windshield and what to use but I can't find it.:confused24: I have read about the use of Pledge cleaner and a 210 cleaner are these good products and are there others? Has anyone used Rain X to let the rain run off. I worry about getting a rainbow effect when the Sun hits it. What does everyone carry with them in there bags for cleaning? :think:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up some "Kit" scratch remover for autos and in smaller print also good for plexiglass (yellow bottle).

This stuff actually cleaned my windsheild better than anything I had used, Maguires, Plexus, pledge and a dozen or so others. I think it was under $2.00 at Walmart.

The stuff truly amazed me:thumbsup:

DO NOT USE RAIN-X ON PLASTIC SHIELDS. Rain-x is only good on glass. Will discolor the plastic.

I did use the $8 a small can plexus, but now use the $2 a large can furniture polish. Smells the same (unless you get lemon scented, which doesn't hurt anything), looks the same, wipes the same, does the same job.

I use Windex for cleaning and Pledge for the final polishing and protecting. If you have a lot of bugs, let the Windex soak for a minute or so to keep from scratching the windshield when wiping off. Applying the Pledge after each cleaning will help bugs and dirt from sticking as bad. Pledge will also remove any swirl marks left from cleaning. It helps the rain bead a little but not like Rain X on glass. I agree to NOT use Rain X on plexiglass. I purchased a small spray bottle to put the Windex in and a small can of Pledge to carry in my side bag. I use the Scotts blue shop towels for cleaning and a SOFT rag for polishing. I have been using this combination for over 20 years and have never caused any damage to my windshields. Just and FYI--I also use the Pledge on the entire bike after washing and to remove dust before each ride. Works great. I do not use auto wax, too much work and the Pledge protects just as well.

Ride safe, Don.

:Venture: I love this icon!!

I go to "Dollar Tree" and get "Power House" wax for a buck a can and use it on anything. Carry a can ion the bags with Micro soft towels. But then I worry more about riding when I'm out than I do cleaning.

Don't know who that guy was trying to wipe down that "Ugly" bike every time it stopped in Ashville this summer?

The best thing to do to keep from scratching your windshield is to soak a towel with warm water and put it on the windshield for 5 minutes. When you remove the towel most of the bugs will be gone. You might have to wipe the shield with the towel a little to get the remaining bugs. Then squeeze the water out of the towel on the shield. You can then use any wax or cleaner to finish cleaning the shield. I have used pledge, car wax, honda spray cleaner and novus spray cleaner. All worked ok but the novus seems to leave a brighter shine. You can use rainx on a clearview shield. I have a clearview but can't bring myself to use rainx on it. Never use a paper towel to clean the shield.

I use Windex for cleaning and Pledge for the final polishing and protecting. If you have a lot of bugs, let the Windex soak for a minute or so to keep from scratching the windshield when wiping off. Applying the Pledge after each cleaning will help bugs and dirt from sticking as bad. Pledge will also remove any swirl marks left from cleaning. It helps the rain bead a little but not like Rain X on glass. I agree to NOT use Rain X on plexiglass. I purchased a small spray bottle to put the Windex in and a small can of Pledge to carry in my side bag. I use the Scotts blue shop towels for cleaning and a SOFT rag for polishing. I have been using this combination for over 20 years and have never caused any damage to my windshields. Just and FYI--I also use the Pledge on the entire bike after washing and to remove dust before each ride. Works great. I do not use auto wax, too much work and the Pledge protects just as well.

Ride safe, Don.

From my experience, Windex should only be used on glass or other similar "hard" surfaces as it has been know to "etch" plastic or plexiglass, etc (over time) and I believe it actually states this on the Windex bottle (or used to or it's somewhere in the product's literature). However, I believe the "ammonia free" Windex is safe to use.

feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.... ( I was wrong once before .... :rotf:)

Pledge is the only way to go.

Note: try not to use the lemon as it will attract bees if you stop at a rest area where trash cans ar close.

oh??? ... I always figgured they were going after the dead bugs.....:think:

Guess I'll have to try the "non-lemon" kind...

I too use the KIT brand plastic ploish in the yellow bottle from Wally Mart. When I first got my 87' VR the windshield was in very bad shape and I thought that it would be my first replacement part. As it turned out, a friend suggested the KIT and I tried it, and it worked! It removed many of the small to medium scratches right off the bat, and with a little elbow grease and multiple applications, the windshield is pretty close to as good as new. At $2.00 a bottle, It is a bargin for sure. Also, It causes the water to bead up anr roll off nicely. When applying, I use a cotton cloth, never paper towels. I also use Pledge on the rest of the bike with excellent results.

Earl

I too use the KIT brand plastic ploish in the yellow bottle from Wally Mart. When I first got my 87' VR the windshield was in very bad shape and I thought that it would be my first replacement part. As it turned out, a friend suggested the KIT and I tried it, and it worked! It removed many of the small to medium scratches right off the bat, and with a little elbow grease and multiple applications, the windshield is pretty close to as good as new. At $2.00 a bottle, It is a bargin for sure. Also, It causes the water to bead up anr roll off nicely. When applying, I use a cotton cloth, never paper towels. I also use Pledge on the rest of the bike with excellent results.

Earl

It blew me away with how it brought my sheild back. I was contemplating a new one myself and it's now a sgood as new. Gotta be the most underated product out there for windsheilds.:thumbsup2: No I don't work for Kit

Ammonia and plexiglass are a nono. We installed a plexi glass (Glass) block window and it actually cracked the plexiglass?

• 3 months later...

The windshield on my bike came with a cloudy coating that if it was in a bathtub I would call it calcium build up. It is spotty. I think the detailer, before I bought it must have used something that effected every plastic part on the bike, even the clear part for the tag light. It will easily scrape off with a fingernail, but that would take a while! I have tried #2 grit polish and that with LOTS of work will eventually take it off of small areas. I even tried regular rubbing compound followed by the #2 polish on the little wind deflectors below the windshield and that eventually got it off but they are still a little cloudy, although they look much better. Some one mentioned trying vinegar, which I did, no luck.:think::think::think:

Has anyone see this before and short of replacing the windshield, how do you clean it off.

Cannot ride at night, 'cause oncomming lights make it opaic.

Walter

Guest tx2sturgis

Has anyone see this before and short of replacing the windshield, how do you clean it off.

Cannot ride at night, 'cause oncomming lights make it opaic.

Walter

You might try some Mequiars Plastic Cleaner AND Meguiars Plastic Polish...two products that work well for me.

I also see they have this product that might work for ya:

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G1900

http://meguiarsdirect.com/index.asp

Edited by tx2sturgis

What you are seeing there are the results of cleaning your bike with a power washer and the cleaning fluid that was supposed to be used on a deck or block work. The result is an Alkaline etch. Just like an acid etch but at the opposite end of the PH spectrum. Unfortunately, the plastic has been "melted" and that is why you can only regain the shine by using rubbing compound and then the polishing compound. You would need to smooth the surface of the plastic out again. This type of "chemical burn" is a tough one to remove. I'm afraid option 1 is polish,polish,polish and option 2 is replacement.

Earl

Do a search on Google for Vapor Polishing Plastic and see if there is a compnay in your local area that an do it. Sometimes just the application of heat from a good heat gun and I have seen people actually use a propane torch very lightly to help clear up some plastics. BE CAREFULL IF YOU DO THIS

You could also try some of these kits for refurbishing plastic headlight covers, I have seen them in the autoparts stores.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Honda spray Cleaner and Polish on my windshield and everything else on my bikes.

I'll wash my bikes every now and then, but usually just clean everything with the spray.

Just make sure you buff it up good. I love the stuff.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/image_storage/c/54/c542788c404be7ba9b2bf6e39afbf1c4_refined.jpg

Guest seuadr

does rainex only affect some types of plastics? i haven't had a windshield before ( still looking for my venture love of my life ) but i've used it on helmet shields, my glasses ( plastic lense outsides ) atv windshields, etc and never had a problem?

I use furniture polish myself, yup, the whole bike.

But, one of the windshield manufacturers has a formula that they came up with to wash the windshield, (can't remember which one) and I carry this with me in my saddlebag.

Makes 1 quart = 1 liter of windshield washing fluid

1/2 cup - 100cc ammonia (double this if you have a lot of bugs)

2 cups - 400cc alchohol (I used rubbing alcohol)

1.5 tsp - 8cc car wash detergent (don't substittute dish soap or laundry detegent)

2 cups - 500cc water

We recommend using only micro-fiber cleaning towels on your windshield

Walter,

There is one other thing that might be the cause of your windshield being cloudy, and that's the clearcoat that is on both sides.

Take a piece of painters tape and stick it on, (I'd try this in a lower corner as a trial) then pull it off. Do both sides in this very small area. If it is the clearcoat, it will come off with the tape. You will then have a clear windshield.

I ended up doing my entire windshield, both sides, then using pledge afterwards. Worked great.

Steve