IGNORED

Suspension and carburetor questions

Hi All

With the air pressure set as high as possible the front end will still bottom out when going over some bumps. I’m assuming I need new fork springs. Is this correct?

The carburetors were supposedly rebuilt, but on the left side there is gas running out of the drain hose. I don’t know much about carbs, any ideas on what would cause this?

Thanks

Al

Hi All

With the air pressure set as high as possible the front end will still bottom out when going over some bumps. I’m assuming I need new fork springs. Is this correct?

The carburetors were supposedly rebuilt, but on the left side there is gas running out of the drain hose. I don’t know much about carbs, any ideas on what would cause this?

Thanks

Al

Springs will help if it's holding air.

Sound like the float is stuck tap on the side of the bowl lightly and see if it stops.:080402gudl_prv:

Had the same problem with the forks bottoming out when I bought my '89 earlier this year. Holding air, but a bit too mushy even when not on bumps.

Replace the fork springs with Progressives and WOW!!!... let's just say it makes it a whole other bike. Don't even have to mess with air in the fronts... it it a perfect ride anytime, whether 2up or not, and rock solid in hot cornering!

Progressives are THE way to go!

Thanks

Al

I know you know this but each carb has a screw that lets you drain fuel out the drain hose. Is it possible there is something keeping the screw from going all the way in? Maybe take the screw out and check it:think:

I know you know this but each carb has a screw that lets you drain fuel out the drain hose. Is it possible there is something keeping the screw from going all the way in? Maybe take the screw out and check it:think:

I agree that this is worth checking-- check to see if the screw is loose first, then see if you have debris there.

Yes!!, Install progressive suspension Springs !!!! Not doing this, is Not an Option !!!

Cost about same as New OEM springs, and far better !!!!

Overflow: Your float Valves are Stuck open. Dirt in bowl, or gummed up.

Fix: --- Get a can of "Sea-Foam," fuel system cleaner, 1 can to 1/2 tank fuel, Run engine, Drain each carb bowl about 3 times in a week. Give the stuff some time to work its magic. Drain each Bowl, 2 or 3 times during the week. #2 phillips head screw on each carb body, to open the drain. Each has a drain hose from the bowl.

90 precent chance this will fix the float valves.

Also, after this is done,use some HEET in your tank. Then drain your Fuel Tank, from the Petcock, Reserve position.

Drain the tank Dry,

You may also need a new fuel filter.

Then run another can of seafoam, for a couple of full tanks. Then re -evaluate the situation.

Originally Posted by mtman viewpost.gif

I didn't know this, but I tried loosening them, then tighten them up and knocked the sides of the carbs a bit and that seemed to fix it. I’m going to get some seefoam and add that to the gas just as insurance.

Thanks

Al

Alrighty then :cool10: and I second GeorgeS' recomendation on SeaFoam. It really is good stuff. Get it from Wallys World or almost any Autozone, etc. It will smoke a bit on ya but it is just doing its job. The filter is a NAPA 3007 or a 3011 will work. Keep us posted :happy34: