IGNORED

Got me a sliver in my finger

OrlinEngh

I was putting wood in the stove Wednesday evening grabed a chunk to put in the stove and it sliped and ouch that smarted and looked at it didnt see anything and it started bleeding so I put a band aid on it and went to bed.

Got up Thursday morning and noticed that my finger was alittle swollen so I cleaned it up and it felt alittle better untill that evening and then it started to throb:( told Sharon there must be something in there yet. cleaned it up again tryed squeezing it and some of that yellow looking stuff came out but still couldnt see anything.

I got up Friday morning and my finger has this big bump where the hole is at I give it a squeeze and it ozzes more of that yellow stuff and I can see the head of the sliver:D so I get ahold of it and pull it out and its about a 1/2 inch long no wonder why it hurt:think: finger feels much better can move it better:D.

Saturday still alittle swollen but not bad, then I get up this morning and it feels like it going to pop again and has this big lump on my finger and I cant bend it so its off to Urgent care to see a doc:(.

She comes in and says oh my looks like you have a infection there.:doh: I told her that I got the sliver out, she says well need to get some stuff out of it for a sample so she would know what kind of pills to give me so she gives it a squeeze and says does that hurt much:yikes: and says well I think that there isnt anything left of the sliver in there. Writes me out a slip so I can get my pills and then asks me if I do alot of work with my hands.:confused24: I said yep they are all I have to work with. And she says well you havent treated them very well they look really ruff. And that I need to take better care of them.

So I head out with my slip to get my pills and these things look like something I would give my horses. Hope they work.

Orlin

Its amazing what they can do with pills these days.

Hope your finger gets better soon.

If only they made a crazy pill to control someone's urge to throw that white stuff all around! Glad I wasn't on my way to Ohio today looks like alot of pileups on the freeway

About a year ago I poked my left palm with a screwdriver. Didn't think too much about it, cleaned it out with peroxide, dabbed some antibiotic ointment on it and finished my work day. The next morning it woke me up hurting and my middle finger and hand was swelled. I went to the dr and he had to open it up and clean it out more. He said I also hit a tendon which was why it hurt so bad.

Glad you got that puppy out of there Or, hope it heals fully!!!! I really really cant stand slivers either!!

Although I did see one once that kinda made smirk a little. My brother and I were tusseling around (we fought when we were kids - a lot) and he slid across some plywood and got one in his backside that was about an inch and 1/2 long. Dont get me wrong, I didnt smirk cause of him hopping around holding his backside, I smirked cause my only recollect of him having dealings with Doctors at that time was a couple years before that my sister had come down with Hepatitus and all of us kids had to go have a blood test. When it came his turn to have blood drawn it took 2 doctors and 3 nurses to hold him down just to take some blood out of him. When he got the sliver, I smirked as my parents pulled out of the driveway with him screaming "I AINT GOING TO THE DOCTOR" from where he was laying in the back seat and I stood there wondering how many Doctors/Nurses it was gonna take to pull a sliver out of his backside..

Have alot of slivers, but never got infected like this one. Didnt know that your finger could get the big with out poping. And there is a pair of leather gloves by the stove now. Never have been much for having gloves on unless its cold out.

I worked in a lumberyard for several years, would be pulling slivers out daily. Maybe one or two might have left a little behind, but once they pussed up, the remenant would usually come out when the puss was cleaned out. Never had it get that bad. Hope your hand gets better quickly.

-Andrew

Worst kinds are the metals shavings that are so tiny you can't see them, but feel that little pin prick every time you touch them. Never have been able to get most of them out, wonder where they all are?

Yeah I still have a hole in my left index finger from a metal sliver that I have to go clean out every once in a while, and a piece of glass in my right ring finger from my days making glass. It isn't swollen or infected but every once in a while I bump it wrong and it lets me know it is still there. darn slivers anyway. Hope yours is healing up well.

I always soak puncture wounds in warm salt water, works wonders.

I have lost track of all the slivers I had in a my life time. the worst came from swinging a sledge hammer. A piece about 1/4 inch thick and 1 1/2 inches long split away from the handle and drove clean into the palm of my hand as I slide my hand up the handle on the up swing. The Doctor that removed it followed up by using a syringe to force hydrogen Peroxide into the wound. My hand puffed up like a balloon after which he squeezed it all out. 24 hrs later my hand was badly infected and so I had to see my family Dr who asked my why I went to a butcher instead of the hospital.

WOW hard to believe a simple sliver could generate so much to discuss. This thread alone may just get us through the winter.

I heated with wood for many years and on occasion I would buy "slab wood" from a small sawmill not far from our home in west Michigan. One time I went to pick up a load and the guy that owned the mill told me to make sure I wore leather gloves when handling this particular load of slab. For the life of me I cant remember what type of wood it was but he told me that it slivered real easily and that, because of its wood type, all the slivers from it would get infected.. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Locust , Wallnut and Butternut have alot of oils in the wood that will really make a sliver get kind of nasy quick.

I was putting in Pig Hickory and have gotten slivers off of that many times and nothing like what I got from this one.

Most of the swelling has gone down and can move the finger good, Finger looked like it could explode it swelled up so much.

Now I can get back to putting the 1st Gen together so we can get out for a ride next week 50s in the forecast,:D And the ones up in Canada need to keep that darn door closed and the Fool needs to put his Snollett machine away and get busy getting his bike ready to go.

Now that you mention it Or it may have been Locust wood I was dealing with..

SOOO glad to hear the swelling has gone way down and the use of your finger has returned!! :thumbsup:

I been working pretty steady on that Fool about the putting a cap on the output nozzles of the White Washer too and kind of think we got him on the ropes for this year. :fingers-crossed-emo

As far as our good buddies to the North closing and locking the back door up there,, not sure cause most of the fellers up there that I have been in contact with seem to have come from homes where their parents potty trained em at very young ages and their manners are top notch. Simply not the types who would do that.. Maybe a town to town, door to door VR Canadian Investigation during the summer months is in order. Probably some backwoods group of Spyder riders up there who will only come into compliance if we go up there, have a big 500 VR member multinational hot dog cook out and are all willing to do some kind of strange sun dance while we howl at a full moon coming up over a hidden north woods lake filled with Walleye pike.. Tell ya one thing good buddy, if thats the case, I am bringing my :photographing: to document everything so there is NO turning back once they sign the contract to keep the door closed!!:thumbsup:

Glad to hear your finger is getting better.

The shed that the bike is in is still buried under snow.

I am working on a plan to head up to the U.P. I will try to jam that door shut. It worked for a while when I was up there in November and slammed the door it stayed pretty nice in December.

As far as our good buddies to the North closing and locking the back door up there,, not sure cause most of the fellers up there that I have been in contact with seem to have come from homes where their parents potty trained em at very young ages and their manners are top notch. Simply not the types who would do that.. Maybe a town to town, door to door VR Canadian Investigation during the summer months is in order. Probably some backwoods group of Spyder riders up there who will only come into compliance if we go up there, have a big 500 VR member multinational hot dog cook out and are all willing to do some kind of strange sun dance while we howl at a full moon coming up over a hidden north woods lake filled with Walleye pike.. Tell ya one thing good buddy, if thats the case, I am bringing my :photographing: to document everything so there is NO turning back once they sign the contract to keep the door closed!!:thumbsup:
Looks to me like you are going to have to put a trailer hitch on that old scoot of yours.......Since there probably is no more room for stickers on the old girl, your going to have to tow one of them rolling bill board's behind you to put all the Canadian stickers on.