IGNORED

Concealed weapon permits

Skid

So West Virginia legislature is debating on discontinuing concealed weapon permits. I know that Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Vermont, & Wyoming has already done away with theirs. My question is has crime increased or decreased. Also since a permit is required in other states, does most people still obtain a concealed permit? Just wondering.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So West Virginia legislature is debating on discontinuing concealed weapon permits. I know that Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Vermont, & Wyoming has already done away with theirs. My question is has crime increased or decreased. Also since a permit is required in other states, does most people still obtain a concealed permit? Just wondering.

I couldn't find info on this. Are you saying concealed carry is now legal in these states without a permit?

Most people would want to be able to carry concealed during traveling on vacation etc... I will continue to have a permit regardless. I really don't expect it will make a it difference since criminals don't get a permit anyway.

Edited by Skid

Increased.

I've had a conceal carry for +30 yrs. I know which states that I travel to, honor them. ..

In the states that don't, I simply separate the ammo from the weapon and store accordingly.

Federal statutes supersede state laws and so far I have traveled without incidence.

I will continue to pay the fee for conceal carry until all states implement this.

Edited by CaptainJoe

It is great that some states will let you carry concealed without a permit. In my opinion permits should not be required to carry a firearm. Also most permits are not transportable from state to state unless the particular state in question has a reciprocal agreement. So interstate carry becomes very confusing and difficult for law abiding citizens. Criminals don't care.

Mike

So far the Bill has passed through the Senate and is now in the House side. It was quickly voted and moved through with very little opposition. It will be interesting this week to see how it moves. So far I've heard the age is 18 and up, where before the age for a CCW was 21 and up. And not sure how it affects out of state residents that are in the state. The only argument for this Bill is the Second Amendment.

Also in West Virginia you can openly carry a pistol on your side legally. If everyone would answer this question for me, does your state have the right to carry openly?

Yep, Michigan is an open carry State.. We also have the Concealed Carry business but because of the ultimate authority of the US Constitution and the 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear, most folks around here never paid much attention to the CCW stuff. Actually folks around here always seemed kind of afraid of the whole CCW thing cause they didnt want the wrong people having knowledge of what kind of artillary they had. Now the ammo shortage stuff that caused a ruckus, it wasnt very long ago that the back woods two tracks always had people tossing lead around but that has been cut way back simply because of economics. Its really funny cause my daughter and I used to think nothing of blowing off a couple bricks of 22's while out for the day on the bike,, not no more..

I haven't packed for vacations/travel for many years. If Tip and I ever finally make it up to Alaska we will probably stop once we get there and grab a cheap 12 gauge shotgun and tie it on Tweeks side and then pawn it when we leave.. Years ago I packed open all over the west on my scoot - everyone did. Never ever had a reason to drag it out and, quite frankly, it became more of nuisance than it was worth - never did see a Grizz and the serial killers just never appeared.. Kind of figure that this will probably be different up in Alaska BUT,, maybe we will be surprised and find all the bears gone up there too..

So far the Bill has passed through the Senate and is now in the House side. It was quickly voted and moved through with very little opposition. It will be interesting this week to see how it moves. So far I've heard the age is 18 and up, where before the age for a CCW was 21 and up. And not sure how it affects out of state residents that are in the state. The only argument for this Bill is the Second Amendment.

Also in West Virginia you can openly carry a pistol on your side legally. If everyone would answer this question for me, does your state have the right to carry openly?

Open carry is legal in Mo. I have a friend who did it for years but I was never comfortable doing it. He is now in law enforcement.

My understanding (in Columbus,Ohio) is that there was no law on the books preventing open carry, but if you did it you'd be picked up for creating a public nuisance or some other charge.

An armed society is a polite society.

I think it's pretty cool that they're starting to lift these restrictions.

I'll bet the lawyers love it too. There's the potential for lots of future business. :rasberry:

I'm an old gun guy. Which means I have a lot of guns, but don't shoot anymore. However, when on a trip, be it car or bike, I do carry, ....and I don't have a CCW. I think of it as I would a parachute, or life raft. You hope you never need to use it, but when you do it's nice to have one onboard.... The 12/6 is a great motto.... :thumbsup2:

I am a resident of WI but I hunt a lot in MI. I had to get my CCW for WI so that I could use a handgun in MI. The law in MI reads that unless you have a CCW from your home state, a non resident can NOT even be in possession of a hand gun. Even if it is unloaded and cased and in the trunk. When I am walking in the woods up there I always carry, I have never had to shoot an animal with the hand gun, but making a loud noise did once scare away a wolf that was stalking us. I've had other encounters with wildlife in MI and WI where I had the gun out but did not need to fire.

As the law is in MI, If you are from a state that does not issue a CCW permit, then as a non MI resident you can not be in possession of a handgun period. I spoke with several LEOs up there and got the same story from each of them.

As the law is in MI, If you are from a state that does not issue a CCW permit, then as a non MI resident you can not be in possession of a handgun period. I spoke with several LEOs up there and got the same story from each of them.

I believe it has to do with our handgun registration:

1) Every hand gun in Michigan must be registered with the State Police.

2) Non-residents cannot register a hand gun in Michigan.

3) It is illegal to posses a handgun that is not registered to you unless you have a CPL. (Our license is called a Concealed Pistol License).

There is an exemption allowing CPL/CCW holders from reciprocity states to possess in Michigan. If your home state adopted permit-less concealed carry and stopped issuing permits you'd have no way to carry legally in Michigan or other states with similar rules.

I see now that Maine is thinking about doing away with their CCW permits. Also there are some states that will issue non residence a CCW permit. I ran across one guy that lived in a New England state and had a CCW from a state out west he never been to.

Edited by Skid

Ohio does in fact honor open carry, but it is my opinion one gives up the element of surprise if you carry in plain sight.

i have had a Utah non resident permit for some time, but they changed the law to require me to have an Ohio to renew, so now I have both which allows me to carry in any state that is worth visiting.