IGNORED

Anybody seen this....

Venturous Randy

Ahhh god that makes me sick. During a time where morality from the people for the police department is down, stuff like this is only going to raise people's disgust for our boys in blue. And with police officers like this, I understand why support for our Nation's police officers is down...

I saw that earlier on Yahoo, and it disgusts me too. I know several LEO's and I know they do not have an easy job, but in this case,,,, c'mon. It seemed like the big breakdown came when they ran the wrong registration and incomplete vin.

Here is the link to the Yahoo story w/text,,, Highway Patrol Error Results In Hellish Roadside Experience For Classic Car Owner - Yahoo News

Edited by Wrench

I have never been in their shoes but I can say just by a lifetime of observation that Police Officers have an extremely tough job. Their world has got to be where the foundation for the saying "darned if I do, darned if I dont" came from. IMHO, it takes a very very special kind of person to really be successful in the field and I think it is situations like this that should be used to sort out the persons who are capable of fulfilling the task from the ones who are not. It was obvious in viewing that video that there were at least 2 person's involved that should be in another form of employment (not that they are bad people - they just should not be involved in law enforcement).

Any form of an employment situation that protects incompetent workers is doomed to fail. In the long run, the incompetent will vastly outnumber the competent resulting in the few competent who are left being unable to do their job correctly. In most fields the loss of a business is usually the worst that happens as a result of what I am talking about. In law enforcement, innocent people end up suffering (and it can get extreme). In the medical field, people die..

Also, I always wonder how much good seeking monetary retribution really does in cases like this, especially when one is dealing with public servants such as a Police Department. In the end, its the tax payer who ends up paying the bill. All the way through the whole process, from Judges to the overtime being paid to the testifying LEO's, everyone is being paid for their time,, by the tax payer. Then, if a decision is made to award the couple, its the tax payer who pays the bill. Then, everyone goes to back to work, including the incompetent, and no real difference is made. The worst part of all is that it starts all over again (hey,, isnt that the definition of insanity). Makes no sense,, a lot like the false arrest of that classy ol guy..

On a little lighter note, if I were him I would go over that GORGEOUS old car with a fine tooth comb!! If that were my set of wheels and those pranksters put even one scratch in it,,, there would be REAL heck to pay!!!! :stickpoke::buttkick:

That literally made me feel ill. I too know several people that are leo and I know of one for sure that would be as anal as the two in the video. This should never have gotten to this point, once they had the explanation a simple re-run of the plate would have cleared up the whole mess. Instead you have a leo that believes he is infallible ( might is right) and wasn't interested in resolving the problem, just in padding his arrest record. The officers involved should be reprimanded, retribution should consist of something along the lines of reimbursement of out of pocket expense incurred, a written apology from the commander of the hwy patrol and maybe a voucher for a dinner out. Just my 2cents

I have never been in their shoes but I can say just by a lifetime of observation that Police Officers have an extremely tough job. Their world has got to be where the foundation for the saying "darned if I do, darned if I dont" came from. IMHO, it takes a very very special kind of person to really be successful in the field and I think it is situations like this that should be used to sort out the persons who are capable of fulfilling the task from the ones who are not. It was obvious in viewing that video that there were at least 2 person's involved that should be in another form of employment (not that they are bad people - they just should not be involved in law enforcement).

Any form of an employment situation that protects incompetent workers is doomed to fail. In the long run, the incompetent will vastly outnumber the competent resulting in the few competent who are left being unable to do their job correctly. In most fields the loss of a business is usually the worst that happens as a result of what I am talking about. In law enforcement, innocent people end up suffering (and it can get extreme). In the medical field, people die..

Also, I always wonder how much good seeking monetary retribution really does in cases like this, especially when one is dealing with public servants such as a Police Department. In the end, its the tax payer who ends up paying the bill. All the way through the whole process, from Judges to the overtime being paid to the testifying LEO's, everyone is being paid for their time,, by the tax payer. Then, if a decision is made to award the couple, its the tax payer who pays the bill. Then, everyone goes to back to work, including the incompetent, and no real difference is made. The worst part of all is that it starts all over again (hey,, isnt that the definition of insanity). Makes no sense,, a lot like the false arrest of that classy ol guy..

On a little lighter note, if I were him I would go over that GORGEOUS old car with a fine tooth comb!! If that were my set of wheels and those pranksters put even one scratch in it,,, there would be REAL heck to pay!!!! :stickpoke::buttkick:

Very well put Puc! My dad has been in law enforcement for most of his adult life and he's always had the opinion that if you act like a person, to the people you're serving, you will almost always come out better than being the hard-ass. That being said, he began his police career before our world had gotten so crazy! I cant help but think that I'm going to find myself in law-enforcement like him, and I hope I can be half the officer he is!

And I agree, if i was in the couple's shoes I dont think that I'd sue for a monetary value, I would just ask the police department that they work for, on national TV that they re-evaluate some of their employees, because Like you said its the taxpayer like you and me that ends up paying the bill, not any actual carthieves!

They should be sued and fired.

Incompetence, corruption, bullying by police, legislators and the judiciary has gotten out of hand. These civil servants should be held to a higher standard, not a lower one. Some of these things should bring felony charges. Dismissal from the duties of a Sworn Officer of the Law/Court should be quick, swift and certain.

They should be sued and fired.

Incompetence, corruption, bullying by police, legislators and the judiciary has gotten out of hand. These civil servants should be held to a higher standard, not a lower one. Some of these things should bring felony charges. Dismissal from the duties of a Sworn Officer of the Law/Court should be quick, swift and certain.

What can we do about it?

What can we do about it?

Stay informed, sign petitions, join/support civil right organizations... I'm a card-carrying member. Yep, American Civil Liberties Union.

Vote.

Sign up for Legal Shield. (Pre-paid legal) Its about 30 dollars/mo. But you have 24/7/365 emergency hotline and the lawyers will be on the phone with the cop probably before they put them in the backseat. That situation above would likely not have happened. Period!

This scares the hell outta me. I am glad the couple did what they were told! The police were wrong! No doubt about the fact it was handled badly. I have seen these videos where someone in the right resists and refuses to cooperate and it gets very ugly, very fast. Tasers, forcible removal from the vehicle, take-downs, etc., are often the result of resisting. Even if you are right, please do as your told. It was handled poorly at the scene, but what really disturbs me is that it wasn't corrected immediately at the station! I see these things and it makes me realize what a thin line there is between a nice normal day and a possibly life threatening situation. If someone is pointing a gun at you, your life is immediately in danger. One twitchy trigger finger and this could have been so much worse. No one wins in a situation like this!

I have a lot of respect for the police most of the time. But I get a little tired of hearing how tough their job is. There is no police department I know of that drafts officers. It is voluntary. So if it is too tough quit. We have given police an inordinate amount of power. We expect them to make judicious use of it. And we expect them to use a little horse sense. Which these guys did not. As they arrested these people the police on the scene knew something was wrong but didn't bother to find out what. It is hard to win if you are from out of state suing in local court. And it is really hard to beat the police whom the courts have a vested interest in. Put these two together and it is a tough road.

Mike

You've got to hope that when the community has to pay for the lawsuit then they will make the lazy cops pay with their jobs. Eventually through firing the ones who shouldn't be doing the job you might end up with a force that can do the job. Until then all of our lives are in danger everyday because there's a gang of thugs operating behind the protection of their badges and they can largely do what they want to you and yours.

All Americans who exercise their constitutional rights should support this organization whose sole mission is to protect the Bill Of Rights. All Americans regardless of age, race, gender, creed, etc. No sarcasm intended.

Ohio is one of those states that allows "year of manufacture" plates on vehicles that qualify for Historical registration. I have "year of manufacture" plates on one of my cars and ALWAYS carry the Historical plates in the trunk should any wierd circumstance happen. This is the result of an article in the club national publication some years ago that chronicled a very similar situation.

Now, here is where the officers, which there were far too many on scene to not have known to ask questions of their brethren, messed up. No one considered that the state of Washington could possibly have a law on the books that allowed for a registration other than what they have in Nevada. They didn't realize that their fiefdom wasn't the rule of law in the universe, let alone the Galaxy. At the very best, the way the situation was handled was less than professional.

at the very least, the couple needs to be compensated for their handling, and the station chief be required to grovel and beg for forgiveness in a public forum until the couple is satisfied.

in the future, should I need to travel through Nevada with the car, it will be in the trailer.

Ohio is one of those states that allows "year of manufacture" plates on vehicles that qualify for Historical registration. I have "year of manufacture" plates on one of my cars and ALWAYS carry the Historical plates in the trunk should any wierd circumstance happen. This is the result of an article in the club national publication some years ago that chronicled a very similar situation.

Now, here is where the officers, which there were far too many on scene to not have known to ask questions of their brethren, messed up. No one considered that the state of Washington could possibly have a law on the books that allowed for a registration other than what they have in Nevada. They didn't realize that their fiefdom wasn't the rule of law in the universe, let alone the Galaxy. At the very best, the way the situation was handled was less than professional.

at the very least, the couple needs to be compensated for their handling, and the station chief be required to grovel and beg for forgiveness in a public forum until the couple is satisfied.

in the future, should I need to travel through Nevada with the car, it will be in the trailer.

Yep,, Michigan is the same Dave! And I totally get your point! I did the "year of manu" plate on a couple machines in the past and gotta say, Historical Plates are by FAR superior because of exactly what you are eluding to - RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!

I have run Historical's for many years on bikes and cars and never (knock on my wooden head) even been asked about em - even when getting stopped for other reasons - I think its cause they look like valid plates. I wouldnt even leave my home town with "year of manu" plates without getting looked over by officials that really do not know DOT Law and stopped occasionally, not worth the hassle but they DO look great!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Ohio "officials" do tend to keep a closer eye on those plates, mostly because the law states that they are for vehicles used expressly for parades, club events, shows, and the like. I believe the reason the plates are looked at closer is because they cost $15 for life where a regular registration is somewhere north of $45 a year. If I am ever questioned, it is my plan to be on the way to a club meeting or to the repair shop, which is acceptable use. I guess it's all about the revenue?

Yes the cops do have a tough job and I feel for them and yes too many are on a power trip and when they have a bad day they take it out on those who are most vulnerable people who have committed a minor traffic ofence, their families and anyone they can bully!! They should have to take yearly psychiatric assessments for anger issues and get required treatment for it. And I don't care what kind of work you do if you are expected to meet certain goals you are under a LOT of stress to meet them. And using your job as an excuse for bad behavior is no excuse for being a complete a##hole!!