IGNORED

His Mom Served Burnt Toast

SilvrT

But then he was shocked when his dad said this ...

When I was about eight or nine, my mom liked to cook food and every now and then I remember she used to cook for us.

One night that stood out in my mind is when she had made dinner for us after a very long and rough day at work, She placed a plate of jam and extremely burned toast in front of my dad. Not slightly burnt but completely blackened toast.

I was just waiting to see if anyone noticed the burnt toast and say anything. But Dad just ate his toast and asked me if I did my homework and how my day was. I don’t remember what I told him that night, but I do remember I hearing my mom apologizing to dad for burning the toast. And I’ll never forget what he said:

“Sweetie, I love burned toast.”

Later that night, I went to tell my dad good night and ask him if he really liked his toast burned. He put his arm on my shoulder and said,

“Your momma put in a very long day at work today and she was very tired. And besides, A burnt toast never hurts anyone but you know what does? Harsh words!”

The he continued to say “You know, life is full of imperfect things and imperfect people I’m not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like every other human. What I’ve learned over the years, is that learning to accept each others faults and choosing to celebrate each other’s differences, is one of the most important keys for creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship. Life is too short to wake up with regrets. Love the people who treat you right and have compassion for the ones who don’t.”

ENJOY LIFE NOW.

Here is another story along the same lines about assumptions.

One day a woman was waiting at the airport and her plane was delayed. She bought fresh-baked cookies and headed to the VIP lounge.

She sat down and began to read. A young man sitting next to her was also reading, and the cookies were between them. She reached into the bag of cookies and grabbed one. The young man did the same.

The young woman was perturbed -- "Why is he eating my cookies," she wondered. This continued until there was just one left, which he grabbed and split in half. She was angry so she left the lounge and went to board her plane.

On the plane, she reached into her purse and her heart sank. There were her cookies, unopened and uneaten. The young man had shared his cookies without saying a word, even splitting his last one to share with her, before she stormed off.

This short story's creator is unknown, but he or she certainly tackles the issue of assumption, and its consequences, head on. This story forces all of us to wonder how many times we may have been in this same situation, and reacted similarly, without realizing that we were actually the recipients of the kindness of strangers.

Credit: GodVine