IGNORED

Need suggestions. What bike should i get next.

Chaharly

Wel the RSV is shot and its time for something else.

I'm really thinking about an older FJR. Are those as accomplished tourers as the venture?

Just looking for suggestions so throw out any capable tourers that you can think of. Something 5 grand or less.

Thanks guys!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think about what kind of riding you do and then look for a bike to match, For me I have a 1st and 2nd Gen, the 1st Gen is for me when I feel like going out and have some fun on our nice twisty hilly roads around here. The 2nd Gen is for Sharon and me when we just want to go out and cruze around the country side and relax.

Good luck in your search

For touring the Goldwing is the best of the best in my opinion because of the low center of gravity. It's the easiest to handle in the parking lots. It's smooth as silk and powerful. I wanted one of the style starting in 2001. But, I didn't want to pay the $10k or so starting price for that model since so far I've never been a real serious biker (subject to change I hope now that I am retired!). Me, the V-twins don't appeal to me especially the vibrating Harleys with their air cooled engines. I've never ridden one though, so maybe I would like one if I rode one. I did own a 1983 Yamaha Virago 750 and I didn't like the vibrating underpowered V-twin. I don't like the Harley style either. The style is also the reason I prefer the Gen 1 Ventures. I've always liked the style and I think they still don't have an outdated look. So far I haven't put that many miles on mine so time will tell if I'm happy with it. I absolutely love the sound of that V4 winding up!! I have my 85 4cylinder 74hp shaft drive Kawasaki for running errands around town. It's about 500 lbs and very easy to handle, a blast around town. I hope to take some trips this summer on the Venture. It's really easy to handle except I have to be careful in the parking lots not to let it tip over. There isn't any one bike that does it all. Everybody has their likes and dislikes so in the end you have to decide for yourself what appeals to you. After all it's a toy, an exciting toy!

Only you know what kind of riding you will be doing such as long long long distance or just some moderate distance and the around town riding. You know how much weight you can / want to handle and how much MORE weight you need to add to make those long distant rides. Pick a ride that suits you and read up on the technical issues of that model. Get to know your bike before you ever head out on the road..Know what tools / common parts you will need and always expect the unexpected. Good luck in your choice!

the V-twins don't appeal to me especially the vibrating Harleys with their air cooled engines. I've never ridden one though, so maybe I would like one if I rode one.

Yes, you should ride one. You'd be very surprised when you discover that your preconceived notion is unfounded. :stickpoke: :beer:

As for my Vic, there's no vibration whatsoever and the thing is even solid mounted.

That said, I do agree with you about the Wing as well as the 1st gen Ventures ... they're like blue jeans ... never go out of style!

Yes, you should ride one. You'd be very surprised when you discover that your preconceived notion is unfounded. :stickpoke: :beer:

As for my Vic, there's no vibration whatsoever and the thing is even solid mounted.

That said, I do agree with you about the Wing as well as the 1st gen Ventures ... they're like blue jeans ... never go out of style!

You mean the Harleys don't vibrate and they are not air cooled?:rotf::rotf: :stirthepot: I'm sure I would love the low end torque. Yeah I know some of the V-twins have balance shafts and they don't vibrate. I've owned two 2cyl motorcycles, a Honda CB350 and the Yamaha Virago and didn't like the vibration of either. Of course they are a long cry from a Harley. I've also owned a Honda CB750 four, Honda CB900C four, and my current two 4cylinder bikes and I think fours are the way to go based on my limited experience.

You mean the Harleys don't vibrate and they are not air cooled?:rotf::rotf: :stirthepot:

That's almost correct.

The big Harley tourers ( the Ultra Glide for example) has very little vibration (that you feel) and only at idle. From that point on, they are as smooth as any 4 cyl I've ever ridden with exception of a Wing (the older ones) although I've never ridden a BMW. On top of that, they are now partly liquid cooled (some models).

So ya, one could almost say they don't vibrate and they aren't air cooled :Bunny:

Edited by SilvrT

As a side note though, I'm not knocking those V4s but comparatively speaking and having owned 3 of them, I still maintain that my Vic has less engine vibration than they did. For example, on my '06 I could feel buzzing in the foot boards and handle bars at certain rpms. It wasn't much, mind you but when you're running at that specific rpm and there's that slight buzzing going on in your right hand, it can be quite bothersome. It was also noticeable in the mirrors. The way the frame is on the Vic might have something to do with it though because the engine is solid mounted and is an integral part of the frame and the frame is a one piece cast, possibly any engine vibs are disbursed thru the frame.

One constructive comment I hope to add in regards to your question: WHAT KIND OF TOURING BIKE SHOULD I GET NEXT...

Be aware that when it comes to BMW's, there really aren't that many BMW (service) dealers available when touring the country.

That being said, I would look at ALL types of touring bikes but before I pick any single one out, look to see the availability of related dealers through out the USA and or countries that I plan to tour in.

Hope this info is found helpful to what you are asking

Speaking about vibrations on these V-4's. One of the things that I have always appreciated on my 1st Gens has been that when I do notice buzziness, even my mirrors, it always seems to turn out to be either my tires or carbs out of sync.. I have, on several occasions thru the years, dealt with both of these and was always amazed at how smooth these big V-4's are when everything is right.. I will admit though,, probable the two absolutely smoothest bikes I have ever owned and operated has to have been, 1st the Honda 350 Four.. Had a few of them and THEY are AMAZING for smoothness.. Second place would have to go to a Honda CBX 1050cc that I redid a few years ago.. It had an inline 6 in it - that thing was also almost supernatural in its smoothness.. Might have a pic or two here to show off with,, nothing like pics right?

Having ridden Harley's for years too, including the new Twin Cam,, I LOVE the bikes BUT - they do have their slight drawbacks in viberations (rubber mounting of the non-counter balanced "A" engine, modular tranny and highly improved frames have helped a LOT when talking vibs) but I would say an even hotter subject to discuss would be the hotter temps ya gotta work with concerning them.. Gotta say though,, I have seen LOTS of really really great deals on Twin Cam Harleys these days - some in the 5k range!! Something I have ALWAYS liked about HD is the available factory and aftermarket parts.. A got can torment that pretty simplistic V-twin tractor motor to no end!! Plus,, according to the masses (and me too) there is NOTHING that sounds, looks or has the appeal of a Big Twin HD!

Concerning Victory's, if we were talking a few thousand more $$'s here CJ, I would STRONGLY advise you to go test ride a Vision 8 Ball if they still make em.. I rode one for a day and gotta say,, I aint NEVER ridden a bike that handled the road like that thing.. I nicknamed it the "Weeble" cause it was so inspiring, it felt like a rider could not force it to fall over even if you wanted it to.. After riding the one I did for the day, I pulled into the dealership with it, the dealer met me outside and asked what I thought, I started telling him about naming it the Weeble, he says - oh yea,, step off it - I did WITHOUT putting the kickstand down,, crazy thing leaned over on some pads on the lower fairing and sat right there!! Pretty cool!! I did notice on all the Vics I have ridden that they seemed to have notchy and noisy tranny's.. Have also heard of lots of electrical probs on the Visions of past.. Speaking of the that Great big George Jetson looking Vision thingy,, CJ - if you end up with one of those things and nobody will ride with you, you can come ride with me cause I LOVE em - weird eay!!

Speaking of the 1800 Wing, Having never owned, ridden or even really rode any distance with any one on one I cant say much about em.. I do know that the first model year or two they had frame issues and the dealerships were welding them inhouse - seen this with my own two eyes.. I wouldnt touch an early 1800 Wing just for that cause - unless it was a 2000 dollar or under bike (which probably aint gonna happen).. Beyond that,, all I have heard from people who have owned/operated or even test rode one has been DO NOT DO IT UNLESS YOU ARE WANTING TO OWN ONE,, they are that nice!! There are lots of VERY reliable, down to earth people on here that have them that I am sure - can corrupt,, I mean steer you into Goldwingism..

Bongo already mentioned the Valk - cool bike!! Dont forget the mighty Strat - or even the chopped Strat known as the Raider!! I LOVE the Raider and have seen some UNREAL prices on both Strats - Roadliners and Raiders!!

FJ's, Concours and that line - I have always DREAMED of flying across the desert at a comfortable +140 on any of them.. I also would LOVE to own a new V-Max and create a mini bagger out of it and tour on it!! My problem is, with any of the above,, I am smart enough to KNOW that it wouldnt take me long to get used to running high speeds all the time and,, I am not sure my pocket book can afford the additional costs of the tickets I would accumulate..

Enter the most iconic, pretty fast bike even by todays standards, awesome sport touring, most highly overlooked, most durable, very effective canyon carving, not to bad a lookin (there are better looking bikes in my book) and extremely comfortable for both passenger and driver,, the 83/84 Yamaha Venture! Yep,, if it were me and I was gonna have just one bike and had 5k to spend,, I would spend my time searching the internet and I would find as close to a brand new left over 83/84 !st Genner.. Wouldnt matter where it was, if it was like new and RAN like it looked,, extremely low miles, 2nd gear was replaced on recall (if not, just deduct for having the repair done),, I would own it..

Beyond that,, all you need are stickers!!!

Puc

cbx (6).JPG

cbx (16).JPG

Edited by cowpuc

OK, enuf of this hijacking! :Laugh:

I always look at it this way Silv,, we cant hijack if the OP ASKS us a question :big-grin-emoticon:,, of course, people like you and all these other troublemakers who subscribe to that theory tend to get into trouble alot:scared:, but we wont go there cause that may get you guys into trouble for hijacking:big-grin-emoticon:

One constructive comment I hope to add in regards to your question: WHAT KIND OF TOURING BIKE SHOULD I GET NEXT...

Be aware that when it comes to BMW's, there really aren't that many BMW (service) dealers available when touring the country.

That being said, I would look at ALL types of touring bikes but before I pick any single one out, look to see the availability of related dealers through out the USA and or countries that I plan to tour in.

Hope this info is found helpful to what you are asking

Its a shame to have to say this cause I really like the looks of the Beemers but, what Eckster is saying is vital info!! I might add, I have ridden with and helped a couple times with on-road Beemer issues and I also gotta say,, repair costs are up there even when ya can find a dealer. And most of the problems you run into on one of their modern bikes are usually not roadside repairable..

LOTS of Harley shops that work on Harley's only - if you ride an HD YOU are covered better than any brand - flippin Harley shops EVERYWHERE!! The metrics are kinda cool cause if you have a problem - most metric shops will help you out even if its not their sell brand,, Honda/Kawasaki/Yam and Suzy.. Getting to be a few more Polaris/Vic shops it seems like,, I am SHOCKED at how few of Indian Dealerships their are - from the beginning, I thought ALL Vic shops would instantly become at least able to help out with an Indian rider in need - NOT SO - they CAN NOT even order parts!!! I therefore would not be surprised that it goes the other way too if your looking for Vic parts..

Anyway,, really good point Eck!!

Speaking about vibrations on these V-4's. One of the things that I have always appreciated on my 1st Gens has been that when I do notice buzziness, even my mirrors, it always seems to turn out to be either my tires or carbs out of sync.. I have, on several occasions thru the years, dealt with both of these and was always amazed at how smooth these big V-4's are when everything is right.. I will admit though,, probable the two absolutely smoothest bikes I have ever owned and operated has to have been, 1st the Honda 350 Four.. Had a few of them and THEY are AMAZING for smoothness.. Second place would have to go to a Honda CBX 1050cc that I redid a few years ago.. It had an inline 6 in it - that thing was also almost supernatural in its smoothness.. Might have a pic or two here to show off with,, nothing like pics right?

Having ridden Harley's for years too, including the new Twin Cam,, I LOVE the bikes BUT - they do have their slight drawbacks in viberations (rubber mounting of the non-counter balanced "A" engine, modular tranny and highly improved frames have helped a LOT when talking vibs) but I would say an even hotter subject to discuss would be the hotter temps ya gotta work with concerning them.. Gotta say though,, I have seen LOTS of really really great deals on Twin Cam Harleys these days - some in the 5k range!! Something I have ALWAYS liked about HD is the available factory and aftermarket parts.. A got can torment that pretty simplistic V-twin tractor motor to no end!! Plus,, according to the masses (and me too) there is NOTHING that sounds, looks or has the appeal of a Big Twin HD!

Concerning Victory's, if we were talking a few thousand more $$'s here CJ, I would STRONGLY advise you to go test ride a Vision 8 Ball if they still make em.. I rode one for a day and gotta say,, I aint NEVER ridden a bike that handled the road like that thing.. I nicknamed it the "Weeble" cause it was so inspiring, it felt like a rider could not force it to fall over even if you wanted it to.. After riding the one I did for the day, I pulled into the dealership with it, the dealer met me outside and asked what I thought, I started telling him about naming it the Weeble, he says - oh yea,, step off it - I did WITHOUT putting the kickstand down,, crazy thing leaned over on some pads on the lower fairing and sat right there!! Pretty cool!! I did notice on all the Vics I have ridden that they seemed to have notchy and noisy tranny's.. Have also heard of lots of electrical probs on the Visions of past.. Speaking of the that Great big George Jetson looking Vision thingy,, CJ - if you end up with one of those things and nobody will ride with you, you can come ride with me cause I LOVE em - weird eay!!

Having never owned, ridden or even really rode any distance with any one on one I cant say much about em.. I do know that the first model year or two they had frame issues and the dealerships were welding them inhouse - seen this with my own two eyes.. I wouldnt touch an early 1800 Wing just for that cause - unless it was a 2000 dollar or under bike (which probably aint gonna happen).. Beyond that,, all I have heard from people who have owned/operated or even test rode one has been DO NOT DO IT UNLESS YOU ARE WANTING TO OWN ONE,, they are that nice!! There are lots of VERY reliable, down to earth people on here that have them that I am sure - can corrupt,, I mean steer you into Goldwingism..

Bongo already mentioned the Valk - cool bike!! Dont forget the mighty Strat - or even the chopped Strat known as the Raider!! I LOVE the Raider and have seen some UNREAL prices on both Strats - Roadliners and Raiders!!

FJ's, Concours and that line - I have always DREAMED of flying across the desert at a comfortable +140 on any of them.. I also would LOVE to own a new V-Max and create a mini bagger out of it and tour on it!! My problem is, with any of the above,, I am smart enough to KNOW that it wouldnt take me long to get used to running high speeds all the time and,, I am not sure my pocket book can afford the additional costs of the tickets I would accumulate..

Enter the most iconic, pretty fast bike even by todays standards, awesome sport touring, most highly overlooked, most durable, very effective canyon carving, not to bad a lookin (there are better looking bikes in my book) and extremely comfortable for both passenger and driver,, the 83/84 Yamaha Venture! Yep,, if it were me and I was gonna have just one bike and had 5k to spend,, I would spend my time searching the internet and I would find as close to a brand new left over 83/84 !st Genner.. Wouldnt matter where it was, if it was like new and RAN like it looked,, extremely low miles, 2nd gear was replaced on recall (if not, just deduct for having the repair done),, I would own it..

Beyond that,, all you need are stickers!!!

Puc

Question. What is the difference between the 85s and 84/83s? I know the trunk is different. But what else?

I have been leaving toward a 1200 first gen because like you said they are probably the best all around bike for the money.

I was interested in the fjr until I learned it didn't have an in fairing stereo, which is a must :)

they had frame issues and the dealerships were welding them inhouse - seen this with my own two eyes.. I wouldnt touch an early 1800 Wing just for that cause

There were three issues with the early 1800 Wings. One being the cracking frame, one being overheating problem, and the other being the alternator drive gear.

I'd heard that none of the Canadian models had the frame cracking problem but I can't verify that, it's easy to determine if it does or did and has been fixed. Also, I think it was only '01 - '04 that had this issue and not all of them. Apparently Honda changed the frame design in late '04 to address it. There were also overheating issues on those same years. Again, not all of them. It was a factory recall for both problems.

Here's a link to some info on this... 01-04 1800-What to look for. - Honda Goldwing Forums

As for the alternator drive gear, they were prone to failure and the motor has to come out to fix it. A real PITA. My Wing had that problem and that's why I got rid of it otherwise I might still be riding it as I put a LOT of work into customizing that thing. You can tell if it's bad coz they produce a loud whine or rattle. Sometimes it's the alternator itself which is an easy fix but generally it's the drive gear.

I think they rectified that in the '06 model and up.

Question. What is the difference between the 85s and 84/83s? I know the trunk is different. But what else?

I have been leaving toward a 1200 first gen because like you said they are probably the best all around bike for the money.

I was interested in the fjr until I learned it didn't have an in fairing stereo, which is a must :)

look here ----> VentureRider.org - Home

people like you and all these other troublemakers

TROUBLEMAKERS .... WHUTCHUTALKINBOUT??? :dancefool:

I am SHOCKED at how few of Indian Dealerships their are - from the beginning, I thought ALL Vic shops would instantly become at least able to help out with an Indian rider in need

I asked my dealer last year if he was going to have the Indian bikes ... "probably not" he said. Apparently Polaris wants BIG MONEY and a totally separate area for Indian including parts and shop. At least here in Canuckland ... hopefully that will change in time.

I am not really sure what happened during the 85 model year,, I am SURE one of these guy who actually owns or has owned one can attest.. The reason that I didnt include the 85 was that I thought it was the year that they went to the bigger bags and trunk - the MK2 1st Gen look so to speak? I might have made a mistake in just putting 83/84 in my response CJ..

One of the really really great things I have come to enjoy and appreciate about the MK1's are the smaller bags and the smaller trunk.. I know that MANY people prefer the added space but,, I personally have always enjoyed the more "sport touring" look of the smaller bags.. I also REALLY like the ease of getting a back tire off and on with the smaller bagged MK1.. Yes, you do have to smack the right bag pretty good sometimes to get it to slide off once you unlock it (not that bad once you get the hang of it) but - its a whole lot better than having to unbolt stuff..

A HUGE issue that I might add here has to do with the seat, rider backrest, seating position.. Having ridden many many miles on the 83/84's, it always intrigued me at how comfortable these bikes are.. For some reason,, the seat always had a special feel to it.. I have owned lots of bikes thru the years, including early Wings (several up to an 86 Interstate), Kaw Voyager 2's (gotta remember to mention those - AWESOME BIKES).. I have found NOTHING that saddles like the 83/84.. I have an 87 parts bike that may very well become a Tweeks.. I will gladly let you know if it has that same seat feel as the 83/84 for long distance touring BUT,, Tippy and I have toyed around a little with it and found it to not quite be the same.. I did find out after many miles and many years of owning the 83/84's that the seats, bars and seating positions on them were created by an Orthopedic Dr. or something,, when I found that out I shook my head and told Tippy - THAT makes sense!!

Ok, the Kawasaki Voyager 2,, this is NOT the early 1300 6 cylinder fuel injected - Kaw had LOTS of problems with that.. This is the 4 cylinder Voyager 2 - think it was made from 86 till like 03.. WOW!! NICE BIKE!! I redid one (long story but awesome deal!!) a number of years ago.. When I finally got it back on its feet, Tip and I spent a few days on it.. Had the same numbers (HP/TRQ) as our 1st Gens but totally different in its delivery.. I was AMAZED at the MPG this thing got - we actually saw 62 MPG running 55 on the back roads! Guy I got it from (neighbor) said he always got better than 50 with it!! Overall, a truely remarkable bike all the way around!! I also had a few more of them that I had taken in.. The first one was a 37k bike, highest mileage one I had was 120k - still ran and rode like new..

Couple of things,, I know from experience,, a huge issue for me was how low and scrunched I was on the bike.. I am spoiled with being able to stretch out on my 1st Gens - the Voy didnt offer that for me.. If I were shorter, I would ride one!! I had a silver,, 01 I think it was,, that the previous owner had suffered the same issue - he was about my height (6' 1").. He had gone to the trouble of extending the drivers footrests down by about an inch and a half.. This took a LOT of work on his part.. He found out that the Voy does not have the ground clearance needed to accept this mod and still be fairly good in the corners (I scrapped em right away just playing on our road during pre trade test drive.. Just (IMHO) something you should look at if you find yourself thinking of this gorgeous bike.. Oh yea,, one of the guys at Raggies Meet n Greet last has one - who the heck was that,, talk with him a LOT about it too,, oh well - if your interested in one you could ask on VR and I am sure we could find him and he would be more than willing to tell ya all he knows!!

Seems like, as with most first year models of anything,, the 86 Voy had an issue with the TCI - ignition module.. Like Kawi didnt have the timing curve set up just right for start up and they had a problem with them snapping starter motor chains.. They did provide an upgraded module that solved that.. I also ran across a Voy 2 on the road a number of years ago with rear gear problems (bike had a lot of miles on it) - dont think this is an over all issue though..

I got my first one from my neighbor.. He had snagged the oil filter cover on his trailer way back in 89, ripped the guts right out of the internals, let it set for over 20 years!! I got it CHEAP, tore it apart, bought a new bracket that the oil pump mounts on (sets between the tranny and the forward gear) BRAND NEW from Kawi - all parts still available and CHEAP - 65 bucks for the bracket.. Rebuilt the carbs, prelubed the top end and did it RUN!! My neighbor, who is 5' 6", had JUST bought a new Harley Ultra Limited 2 days before I fired the Voy up for its first ride in over 20 years.. He came over, took the Voy out for a ride, came back with the sickest look on his face.. He said , I could have had a bike that actually feels like it was made for me and saved myself 25 thousand dollars :Im not listening to

I keep typing here thinking I can pull the guys name who had that Voyager 2 at Raggies,, dog gone it,, oh well,, I guess I better post this and let Raggie, Bongo, Buckshot, ,Billmac, Habfan, Carbon One or one of those other guys who were there show off the better memories... Ratsssssssssssss

ti3 (153).JPG

ti3 (135).JPG

ti3 (140).JPG

ti3 (147).JPG

Edited by cowpuc