IGNORED

Pics from yesterdays ride

Chaharly

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I gather the trucker that I was passing said my bike wheel started going back and fourth like crazy. The harder I tried to stop the more it would pull to the left. By the time I got slowed down to about 45 it was like riding a bull. Then when I hit the dirt in the left side off the road it threw me. I remember rolling 2or 3 times just thinking to myself to hold my arms down at my sides. Had a big mud patch on the helmet as well glad to be wearing it. I got back up right away and the trucker I passed was like "My God are you ok?" "I thought when I saw you rolling through the air there'd be a dead body" he wasn't even gonna stop until I shot up right away. Had about 5 people stop. Everyone around here is awesome. My brother came and got me and we loaded up the bke in a loader bucket and moved it off the road. Hes getting it now. We went to the same day clinic and they were going to send me to the ER but I started getting dizzy so we needed to haul me in on a stretcher

It a good day when you get to walk away from a crash, can replace parts or the bike. Have read how much work and time you have put into it to have this happen. Hope you are able to fix it back up again.

Orlin

I think I'm just gonna make the smart move and get a first gen lol

Wow, that was not what I was expecting when I opened this thread. This looks like one of those "As bad as it was, it could have been worse" events.

In running what happened thru your head, do you have any clue what may have started it? The rear tire does not look like it is flat, but it does look like a car tire. Was the front tire up good? There had to be some kind of mechanical failure to cause that much and sudden loss of control.

Please keep us posted.

Randy

Good grief,, that is terrible!! So glad you are basically ok Cha, Prayers Up for quick and full healing!!

Sounds to me like you experienced one of those infamous "tank slappers", a high speed wobble turned ugly!! Couple questions concerning what happened.. Its really hard to tell but it looks like the front axle of your bike may be sticking out, like it may have lost the nut.. I dont have a 2nd Gen to compare those pics to but, when you get a chance - would you look and see if your front axle was tight.. Also, it looks like you were darksiding it? Have you noticed any other time since you put the car tire on it that it felt like it wanted to tank slap ya? Wonder if anyone else has experienced tank slapping experiences on the RSV's?

Back when I was doing high speed stuff playing on the lake ice on my KX500 I ran a steering damper to help with exactly what you went thru (if indeed it was a tank slapper).. It only happened on my KX when I had the tires screwed out with Kold Kutters to give traction.. Without a damper, running +90 on the ice and that sucker would out of no where turn against me!! The only way out of it (besides crashing) was to lift the front wheel up.. Something ya probably aint gonna do at high speed on a touring bike..

That is horrible Cha,, so sorry to hear about it!! Glad you didnt have someone on the back and, again,, that you are ok!!

Thanks for the concern and well wishes guys.

From what the trucker said my bike wheel started swinging back and fourth even though the bike was not leaning. I think one of our homemade leveling links failed.

I'm gonna give it a week or so to look at it. I had my glasses in the side bag and they got destroyed so all I have is prescription sunglasses.

Dang it CJ,

Just went thru the same thing a month ago. Wife and I both limped away from accident with a totaled RSTD. So very happy to see you walked away as well. Hopefully you'll be able to put your bike back on the road (if that is your plan), you'll find out really fast how proud Yamaha is of their parts. Best of luck going forward and heal up.

Dang it CJ,

Just went thru the same thing a month ago. Wife and I both limped away from accident with a totaled RSTD. So very happy to see you walked away as well. Hopefully you'll be able to put your bike back on the road (if that is your plan), you'll find out really fast how proud Yamaha is of their parts. Best of luck going forward and heal up.

It is definitely wrecked beyond the repair that I can offer. Im sorry to hear about your RSTD too. Although, and I may be wrong, (pain meds) but didn't you sell me that carb tune?

Dang it CJ,

It is definitely wrecked beyond the repair that I can offer. Im sorry to hear about your RSTD too. Although, and I may be wrong, (pain meds) but didn't you sell me that carb tune?