IGNORED

Opening a can of worms

Freebird

For the past few hours, I've had a heated debate with myself as to whether or not to post this but I can't let it go so here it is.

Last night, I had an email exchange with a previous member that hit me pretty hard. Maybe I'm too sensitive to such things and need to grow some thicker skin but if what he says has any validity, then I need to take it seriously. I told him that he was full of crap but after thinking about it, I know that wasn't the proper response. If I am guilty of such a thing, I want to know it.

Now I sent this guy an email because he had been very active and then just went away. I was concerned that perhaps he had health issues, been in a wreck or something like that and was concerned. I do care about the members here and such things bother me at times.

His reply set me back though. What he told me was that he did not renew him membership because he got sick of me bad mouthing the Yamaha since I bought my Harley. Now I have to tell you. I have tried to be very careful about even mentioning my bike here because I didn't want anybody to get the impression that I felt that it was a superior bike or that I was superior because I'm riding a Harley at this time. I have been asked a couple of times to voice my comparisons between the two and have done so. When I have done so, I have tried to be completely honest and not critical of either bike. He stated that my comments were a slap in the face to the members here.

I'm not going to go into all of it again but I have said that there are things about both bikes that I like and things that I dislike. The fact is, I love the RSV and rode mine for almost 13 years. The fact that I owned it that long says a lot because I have never owned a vehicle of any kind for anywhere near that length of time. I was ready for something different and Yamaha didn't offer anything different at this time so I went with something else.

The bottom line is that I have no desire or reason to bad mouth the RSV or any other bike. It has taken no great effort on my part to NOT bad mouth them because I have no such feelings and no reason to. I may very well own another one at some point.

So basically, if I have given anybody that impression, I want to offer my sincere apology. I have wracked what little bit of a brain I have trying to figure out what and when I would have said such a thing and I honestly don't know of a single time. I do like my Harley but one of my regrets is ever selling the RSV. I wish I could have kept them both and I can assure you that at least on a hot day, I would rather be on the RSV.

One of the first things I did was to mount my flag pole on the Harley and proudly fly my VentureRider flag.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would not worry about it. All on the site seem to be fully aware of your dedication to this site. Sounds like the former member needs to grow a bit of a sense of humor. :confused24: BTW from what I have seen, you seem to be the target of most of the HD jokes so if anyone would have had a reason to be upset you would, but you do have a sense of humor. Also, I am very interested to hear what you have to say about the HD, as I am like you, if Mother Yamaha does not make an offering soon it will be going the way of HD or Indian for my next bike.

If there was any bashing going on, it was the rest of us against you and your HD, all in fun of course. I sincerely hope that is how you take all the ribbing we give you. If not, then it is all of us members that need to apologize to you.

Let me nip that in the bud right now. Nobody here owes me an apology. I have no problem at all with all the ribbing and jokes. There are those here who truly don't care for Harley and that is fine too. Most are just giving me a hard time and I have no problem with that. I laugh right along with you.

Don, my eyebrows shot up when I read what the past member had to say about your alleged Yamaha bashing. I've never read anything from you bashing Yamaha or ANY bike.

Aside from the disgruntled member's accusation, I think there is more to this than his perception of your attitude toward Yamaha. I suspect he is hiding behind the accusation of Yamaha bashing as an excuse for some other perceived slight.

For quite awhile I got busy and just didn't take time to come on the forum very often. But I nothing I have read from you gave me any indication that you were hating on Yamaha. It is actually pretty unique that you have a site dedicated to the Venture with loyal members who ride different makes.

I have never heard seen or heard of Don bad-mouthing the Yamaha. We all know that in any group, especially one this size, there will always be a few people that take something the wrong way, or simply are unable to be pleased with what ever happens. We cant dwell on those few. Don't lose any more sleep over it Don.

I have never heard seen or heard of Don bad-mouthing the Yamaha. We all know that in any group, especially one this size, there will always be a few people that take something the wrong way, or simply are unable to be pleased with what ever happens. We cant dwell on those few. Don't lose any more sleep over it Don.

Well said. Keep up the great work Don. Doug

I've have never witnessed you bad mouthing the Venture.

It's natural for people to have an opinion, writing up comparisons on something isn't criticism.

You've done more to promote the Yamaha Venture than anyone else I know. IMHO...

Perhaps this person has other problems(the straw that broke the camels back) and took them out on you? Who knows...at least you tried...

Basically I never met a bike I didn't like. I have had Suzuki, Yamaha, Harley, BMW, and Honda. I hope to own others before I die. All have good points and all have opportunities. Each one teaches me something new about bikes and riding. The different forums let me meet new friends. I want to be involved with all of them.

That's all I had to say. -- Hushpuppy

Don started this site on Yamaha Ventures and it has brought us all together with a common interest. That has since been opened up to some getting other brands of bikes. But we still come here to be with our friends and don't really care what everyone rides, Thank you Don, I'm sure everyone feels likewise, don't let one person thoughts cause you grief . I'm not good on writing things like this, hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Now I sent this guy an email because he had been very active and then just went away. I was concerned that perhaps he had health issues, been in a wreck or something like that and was concerned. I do care about the members here and such things bother me at times.

And then the guy muggs ya. WOW!

You sir, are not the one with a problem. I've never seen you put down anyone or any bike. Sleep easy friend.

he or she may be having health problems. I have known quite a few people that got mean. Then they had heart attacks. As they never went to doctors about being mad at the world. Hope this don't happen to them. I think all on here are good people but we are human. Dang winter blues. Or life. lol Be happy enjoy life it ends fast.

Don

I for one know better! We been friends/family since the beginning of venturerider and I have never seen nor heard you treat anyone bad or turn your back ! There's times you had to put your foot down but that's on us due to some of us getting out line ! even then you was not out of line as of what was said or done !!

so get that thought out of your head

Buddy

Don,

I have been a member here for 6 years, and thanks to all of the wonderful people here, and you're dedication to the site I will continue to renew my membership year after year. I too have never seen you down talk the Venture or any other bike for that matter. Your critiques of the HD vs Venture have been spot on based on members responses.

As we all know, this place is like a big family. And just like all families, there are members that have, shall I say, issues. We still love em cause their family, but we just don't give what they say too much credence. That's the way you gotta look at this.

Just keep your focus on the members that have love for Venturerider.org in their hearts and you"ll be okay.

BTW, I like people yapping about certain bikes. It adds a little sauce every now and then. LOL.

Big Lenny

Since joining VR.Org I have seen at times where several involved members have at least once, taken what someone posted completely wrong and got fired up about it, sent a return "Drive-By" post or email and let their thoughts, feelings be known, ripping the years of friendship apart.

Feelings are hurt for reasons unknown to many and silence between the two (or more) parties becomes the norm. One remains upset and defensive and the other(s) defend their original post and true meaning meant in that post.

Two things usually happen:

1 - the offended party wakes up and realizes that he took the message incorrectly and with or with out an appology, comes back and the friendship continues as what true friends do.

2 - The offended party walks away, bad mouths his perception of the incident, and not long afterwards something else comes along and he sends his new opinions on to his next victim.

No one person can ever say they were not even a "little" offended at one time or another towards another VR family member here. I am guilty of this myself and have taken things wrong several times. An example for those who have been here a long time.. Remember Nason........What a battle that was and what an ending..another comes to mind was the guy Dallas. He always offended someone with what he thought was humor...

Don,

You did nothing wrong and said nothing out of order towards Yamaha so don't let a negative email bring you down! You sent him your honest reply and placed the ball back in his court. Stand back and let him digest it now. The future will bring forth the truth if this person is a level headed true friend or one you really don't want to associate with anyway.

I know I have had times where it has taken me a few weeks to unravel my misunderstandings a few times.. :happy34:

one bad apple CAN NOT spoil what you have done here. For Shirley and I this web sight has improved our lives, We do so much with the people we have meet on here. We plan our vacations to travel with the friends we have made here. We plan out rides so we can attend the M&E, rallies and such. Also if we are allowed to pick on you and your Harley you should be allowed to pick on us and our RSV. Don take a deep breath and let it go. You have 100 hundreds of people who have your back Brother. As for the guy who emailed you back here what I say :Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to

I am thinking if there has been any frustration vented at Yamaha, it has been the lost opportunities that Yamaha has had for so many years with the Venture in particular. I think we all know how great a bike the Venture is and it has been since 1983. It is probably one of the most poorly promoted great products around.

As far as the Venturerider site and this group of people, it truly amazes me in what has assembled here and I feel so fortunate to be a small part of it. Yes, we have had the common link of the V-4 that got us together, but that again become less of a factor in the true friendships that have evolved over the years. Yes, we rag on each other a little and sometimes we may not realize what we are saying may cause some hurt or misunderstanding. I have said things that I have regretted and I have also deleted several paragraphs that I have written after I reread them.

As far as the perception toward Harley riders, we have all seen it. We have seen the lifelong friend get a Harley and see them change so much that we ultimately quit going around them. We quit riding with them because we start feeling like they don't want to be seen associating with someone not riding a Harley, and especially a metric bike. Does this make us a little too sensitive when we see someone sharing what they like about their Harley, even when in they in no way are putting down your bike? Most likely.

My bike will be 32 years old in a few months and I love it. Yeah, there are a few things that I would like to be different and there are a lot of things that I have made different than the way Yamaha made it. That being said, if I wanted to buy a 2nd gen or a Harley, I could probably do it, but it is just not high on my priority list. Have I had Harley people that I felt looked down on me, yep, did it bother me? Not as much as I have had 2nd gen people that I feel that look down on a 1st gen and have never ridden one. Has Freebird ever made me feel he was bashing a 1st gen or a 2nd gen Venture or RSTD? Not that I can ever remember. Do I feel that he is disappointed some with what Yamaha has not done with the V-4 series when there is so much potential available? Probably. Do I feel that Don loves the Venture, with out a doubt.

One of the descriptions I sometimes use when trying to explain what a 1st gen is, is to say that it is Yamaha's version of a Honda Goldwing. Then when describing a 2nd gen, I say that is Yamaha's version of a Harley dresser. That's kinda sad, but it helps people understand that don't have a clue what a Venture/RSTD is.

Randy

Although I'm a short time member here...I've been on the internet and other forums since back in the days of Compuserve. One thing that hasn't changed is there are always people who miss-read a post, get offended or disgruntled. That will never change....

That said...in reading most of the posts for the past few years (sitting in New Castle, NH., hemmed in by snow last winter), I never felt one ounce distain from ANYONE on this site. Sure there have been disagreements...but they have been handled maturely! And that...right there...is the best reason for joining and being a part of this forum. Besides the education and knowledge...there is the maturity of the members. We come from all walks of life...but we are brothers together, venturing into adventures, with our Yamaha's.

Besides that, A very good friend of mine owns a 2012 HD Ultra Classic. I rib him about his mechanical issues...he ribs me about the Venture. We still laugh about it and that is healthy and indicative of a mature friendship. We ride together whenever we can..as often as we can.

Bottom line...thank you Don....your post was enlightening and maybe good for all of us to read...as a reminder of who were are on this forum and why we are here!

d

Edited by videoarizona
clarification

If we were to go back thru ALL the threads on this site and compile ALL of the "bad-mouthing" of the Venture that we could find, connected with the member/ex-member's name/nick, we'd probably find several of us INCLUDING that person you refer to. The ONE person that would not be on that list (among many others) is you, Don.

I've only been a member for less than one year and what I love about this site is the good natured ribbing going on. Seems like just a great bunch of friends having a good time with each other. We all love motorcycling no matter what the brand. I haven't read anything that I would call mean or intended to offend. I've only met a few of the members and I hope to meet in person many more if not all the members.