IGNORED

Connecticut says no to Slingshot

Freebird

This is at least two states that have said no to the Slingshot. Texas also gave it the thumbs down. I think it's ridiculous but I wonder what it means for the future of this trike? I hope they get it worked out. There's not one in our immediate future but Eileen really wants one.

Connecticut DMV says no to Polaris Slingshot | Fox News

This is at least two states that have said no to the Slingshot. Texas also gave it the thumbs down. I think it's ridiculous but I wonder what it means for the future of this trike? I hope they get it worked out. There's not one in our immediate future but Eileen really wants one.

Connecticut DMV says no to Polaris Slingshot | Fox News

Since it is not in your "immediate" future, Does that mean that Eileen has to wait until Christmas for hers?

I can understand their thinking. The Slingshot is as much like a small sports car as a motorcycle. Except it does not have the automobile required safety equipment. My understanding is in Washington State it does not require a motorcycle endorsement to operate it. But it can be licensed with motorcycle plates. Go figure.

Mike

So they can't be registered in those 2 states....if you are out of state registered can you operate it inside CT and TX?

I think they have to let you. Its one of those interstate commerce things. I think it would be just like say a licence. Say your state does not require an endorsement for MC and Conn does. They cant not allow you to operate or passage as long as you are in compliance in your state. If your state does not require vehicle inspections, they cant make you get one before entering.

My wife and I saw one of those at Bikes Blues and BBQ. Got to see it, touch it, gander at it from every angle. Before I could really get an opinion out, Teresa said "don't even try to get me excited about that thing. We'll go buy a convertible sports car before I spend the money for that". LOL. Truth is, I kinda had the same feelings. While they're interesting looking rigs, I struggle with why Polaris decided to build something like that which is so close to a car type vehicle. I see it as something that will appeal to a very limited market of folks. I wonder if their funds would've been better spent if they had've designed and built a strong competitor to Can Am's Spyder.

Just me 2 cents.

What da heck,, I havent even seen one in person yet and gotta say,, I already like em - A LOT... Of course,, I am kind of a gear headed geek who is attracted to motorized stuff, specially anything drivable/ridable, different, artistic or performance related - if it is related to motorcycles I am in trouble... A good example,, I cant tell you how many of my friends think I am wacky cause I happen to have always liked that great big V-8 Chevy powered Boss Hog,, just the way I am,, another flaw in my character :big-grin-emoticon:

Dont make no sense that they arent "legal" in some states,, I can see that if Polaris is trying to tag em as a "Car" than yea - they are not a car but,, tagged as a bike so owners have to follow state motorcycle laws - rock n roll:guitarist 2:..

I think they have to let you. Its one of those interstate commerce things. I think it would be just like say a licence. Say your state does not require an endorsement for MC and Conn does. They cant not allow you to operate or passage as long as you are in compliance in your state. If your state does not require vehicle inspections, they cant make you get one before entering.

In my limited experience, I have found a different perspective in this DJ.. Got an improper helmet ticket in California a couple years ago, no helmet required in my home state of Michigan.. The officer who wrote us a warning ticket did not like the color (white - looked to much like a police officers helmet he said) of Tippys helmet but stated it was just a warning.. After getting home, couple months later we recieved a notice from Sacramento Superior Court that we owed em 500 bucks cause we didnt come down after we had gotten the ticket to give them 250 bucks.. I called and talked to a clerk,, kind of a grumpy person who basically told me that they never issue warning tickets and I owed em 500 bucks.. Said if I didnt pay it within 2 weeks the Michigan State Police would come, take my drivers license and lock me up until I paid that fine plus additional $ being assessed for not paying the 500..

Had a hard time believing what I was hearing so, before I sent payment, I went to our (Muskegon Mi) local courthouse and spoke with an actual Judge about it.. Was told this:

Few years ago Michigan signed onto some "pact" that gives the offended state (California in this case) juristiction within a reciprical non-offended state (in this case Michigan) to enforce the offended states laws.. And that those State laws are superior even over federal laws..

The judge than told me that there were only 2 states in the USA who, at that time, hadnt signed onto this "pact".. His words,, bottom line,, you have to KNOW the laws of the state you are in and be in compliance of those laws or face the penalties.. He than told me to pay the fine or there would be an arrest warrant issued, my drivers license would be pulled and, get this,, my license would belong to the State of California and it would be up to them as to when it would be released!!! :think:

By definition it doesn't fit a motorcycle (3 wheels or less and straddle seat with handle bars) and and car has four or more wheels. It falls between the cracks until the state changed some laws. Therefore can be determined as illegal in some states.

This is what Polaris has to say....

U.S. and Canadian Legislation Update

There has been speculation with regard to state and provincial regulation for Slingshot. The facts are that we are currently approved for sale in 46 U.S. states and 4 Canadian provinces. The exceptions within the U.S. are Indiana, Connecticut, Maryland, and Hawaii. With regards to Canada, we are currently approved for sale in British Columbia, Alberta, Quebec, and New Brunswick. Our legal team continues to work with the remaining states and provinces to find resolution, which in most cases is simply tied to the language that defines what classifies as a motorcycle in a particular state or province. We are confident that there will be resolution in the near future.

Most of the readers on this forum have likely heard about the situation in Texas as well, and we are VERY pleased to report that the Texas Department of Public Safety has determined that Slingshot can be operated with a motorcycle license. Currently, we are working with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles to resolve titling of Slingshot, and we are confident that resolution is forthcoming. Since the vehicle can now be legally sold, and because the titling matter is very nearly resolved, Polaris started shipment of the two initial stocking profile orders to all eligible Slingshot dealers within Texas.

By definition it doesn't fit a motorcycle (3 wheels or less and straddle seat with handle bars) and and car has four or more wheels. It falls between the cracks until the state changed some laws. Therefore can be determined as illegal in some states.

So,, Skidder,, seems how ya spoke up,, lets see if we can drag ya in a little farther :stirthepot::crackup::duck:

Lets say your back working as an LEO (I know, this is hard but bear with me),,, the Slingshot is not "legal" in the State of where ever your E'ing the L.. A really cool looking :Cartoon_397: with his foxy looking :680: snuggled next to em goes cruising by ya while your sitting in your r images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTszw_kB6vX_Mvl3vtP1XU90eCBtSoZmyLUOJnrPIFSwf06luxUQ .....

You know for a fact the craft cannot be licensed in your state but notice that there are plates on it from a State that you also know has deemed it legal.. Cause its your job,, you go images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0xvMi5cTk9lYTfewIqAomYsrQ2bNrVf21ChkoM7xEOtBoL4ss_g, get the plate number, run it and it comes back registered to some really great folks from Michigan, clean record and all that stuff... Folks are obviously oblivious to the fact that their 23000 dollar vehicle cannot be legally registered within the State you represent..

So,, do you images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPb-aqygJ_h_7CdeMpe0uHlC_4M5Hst8Zm6KS20NvnNboOVdoMXg until they stop and then send them :mytruck:, do you "Ok 99,,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAeDTLjNXhBUdWL5mJgtGW2pAwa3ASg1ZTJlR4jReQSNeEUplGgDfPpA and try to figure out what the legislaturing dudes got to say about it or do you overlook the whole mess and go back to watching for maniac :bikersmilie:...

I got word from my dealer today that my slingshot should be delivered Monday. It's been a long 5 months waiting since my deposit was put down. If all goes well then I'll have it before Christmas. With weather being what it'll be, it may take a while before I can give a ride report.

On legalities on using a neighboring state to get around a nonconforming one, say Texas or Indiana for example, there has been folks in those states registering their Slingshots in adjoining states to get around current bans. Not sure if anyone has done this in Maryland or Connecticut.

Larry

BTW: Texas & Indiana will most likely have their issues resolved after the first of the year.

Edited by Carbon_One

I got word from my dealer today that my slingshot should be delivered Monday. It's been a long 5 months waiting since my deposit was put down. If all goes well then I'll have it before Christmas. With weather being what it'll be, it may take a while before I can give a ride report.

On legalities on using a neighboring state to get around a nonconforming one, say Texas or Indiana for example, there has been folks in those states registering their Slingshots in adjoining states to get around current bans. Not sure if anyone has done this in Maryland or Connecticut.

Larry

BTW: Texas & Indiana will most likely have their issues resolved after the first of the year.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool: and YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlJqG41LEcB3syDJ5a4in4Mld9f_Jo3aC6-ZYemRBK4xZjnX1o:ice_congrats-vi6886

I just googled for ROADSTER, Wikipedia: Roadster (automobile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A roadster is an open two-seat car with emphasis on sporting appearance or character. Initially an American term for a two-seat car with no weather protection, usage has spread internationally and has evolved to include two-seat convertibles.

Definition did not have a wheel count.

I did see one in person in Myrtle Beach. Um,,, no politics here (hehe),, but it sure quacks like a ROADSTER.

I have a little firsthand experience with traveling state to state and different laws. In the state of Wisconsin license plates are not required for small, non commercial trailers. However Illinois requires the license plates regardless of where you are from. My son with a Wisconsin registered truck towing a trailer with no license plates hit a deer soon after crossing the state line of illinois. State police showed up and his truck was drivable but he couldn't continue because he was threatened with the trailer and the two motorcycles in it being impounded.

After phone calls to his uncle, owner of the trailer, and me, in Illinois and owner of the bikes, he was allowed to proceed with a warning. We think the officer was just being a jerk to a 25 year old.

WOW PUC never heard of that going on before. BUT we are talking about California, where they get $15 an hour for working in McD. SO white helmets are illegal in Calif?? What the hay? Is that stated on say the motorcycle aftermarket places selling helmets? "you can not buy a white helmet to operate a motorcycle in Calif" Whats next? You cant paint your bike black and white? I can understand if your state is non-helmet and theirs has helmets. But as long as its a DOT lid, now you tell me it has to be a certain color? YIKES sumtin fishy there

What do Jeremy, Richard, and James think of it? I know Clarkson had a good time once riding a scooter through Vietnam in the summer with Hammond and May trailing behind. Maybe they could test one on the M4, I'm sure the rules in the UK are a lot more relaxed...

:320: