IGNORED

Christmas meal, what is your families tradition?

bj66

Just curious to see if anyone has a different Christmas tradition. Our family always has oyster stew along with ham and all of the other fixings. It might be fun to see what other people have that isn't necessarily the norm......

When Mike and I do Christmas at home and not traveling to his parents I do a scaled down southern style dinner with ham, dressing and a sweet potato souflee, green beans or Lima beans are added too, I have offered to mix in a bit of new England style fair, but he prefers what I grew up on. (BTW, neither of us are huge Turkey fans) Next year will be interesting, let's see if I can make a gastric bypass friendly dressing..…

Used to be real similer to Thanksgiving, ham, turkey, gravy and a bunch of stuff. we'd all get together at wifes parents. Watch some football and have a couple beers. Now tho the kids come to our house and the last couple of years we've been doing a Christmas breakfast. Wife and daughters have a breakfast buffet, and I got to say its pretty great. Then they can all be home for the afternoon/ evening or at their spouses parents. And we get the rest of the day to relax!

our family got small and some are far away. so for Christmas we have brunch. French toast eggs , and coffee cake and tea or coffee.

around 5 or 6 pm we have soup and sandwiches . we just thought that for the 6 people here it was to much to go through all the turkey and stuff as we do that for thanksgiving.

we do set out an empty plate and a chair at the table this is to remember those who are no longer with us but are not forgotten. no one is allowed to sit there. a lighted candle also sits in the center of the table to show them the way. and that we still miss them very much

We are always at my parents and we always have turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, etc. I have tried to make the turducen. Didn't go over to well. This year my wife's employer through in another option instead of just a ham or turkey. They also gave the option of a leg of lamb and I made her get that. We love lamb, but I am sure the rest of my closed minded family will snub their nose at it!! More for me!!

Our tradition is doing an early Mexican style brunch, even when we travel to the kids down south. We usually have pork, beef, and Jalapeño cheese tamales, chili verde stew, homemade refried beans, eggs, homemade salsa, fresh tortillas and lots Bailey's and coffee, hot chocolate plus whatever anyone else brings. Later we set down for a traditional dinner with turkey, ham and all the other stuff we had leftover from thanksgiving...just kidding about the leftovers. Merry Christmas To All

Christmas dinner at my sisters place. Ham, Turkey, Potatoes and gravy, stuffing balls and in the bird stuffing. Sweet potatoes with marshmallows and fresh baked rolls. Pumpkin pie and a variety of cookies and fudge for desert. At our house we always have Christmas breakfast. Scrambled eggs, toast, coffee, orange juice, and kielbasa baked and broiled in the oven.

I dont think we really have a "tradition" for christmas meal anymore. Since the first grand baby the kids are sometimes at his wifes family, sometimes our place. Last year they went north to NC. And every couple years we go to my bro-in law to eat. So I guess our tradition is to mix it up. Lol

our family got small and some are far away. so for Christmas we have brunch. French toast eggs , and coffee cake and tea or coffee.

around 5 or 6 pm we have soup and sandwiches . we just thought that for the 6 people here it was to much to go through all the turkey and stuff as we do that for thanksgiving.

we do set out an empty plate and a chair at the table this is to remember those who are no longer with us but are not forgotten. no one is allowed to sit there. a lighted candle also sits in the center of the table to show them the way. and that we still miss them very much

I lost my dad in September, I think the empty place setting and candle is appropriate. I am glad I started this thread now, and thanks everyone for sharing your holiday customs.

Our custom is to get the whole family together. The food is whatever the host decides to make. The host also tells the rest of us what to bring to share to lighten the workload on the host. I am usually ordered to bring rum balls....... There are 5 kids in the family. We take turns hosting the various holidays. You never know what we will have, Spaghetti and meatballs, ham and spuds, turkey, steak, could be anything, the important part of the day is family being together together, not the meal or even the presents.

For 20 years my wife and I have hosted our two families (30 or so folks) for a Christmas afternoon fine dining affair at our house. My wife really gets into the event. Everyone has a place setting with their names on a tag and fine china is used. Very elegant dinner, and then we have dirty Santa and fellowship after the meal. Our families love it. However, this year we have a problem. Two weeks ago it was discovered we have a drain pipe leak under the slab of our kitchen floor about 4 feet in from the wall. The plumbing company is coming Monday to jack hammer our floor up and repair the leak. This is requiring us to tear all of the cabinets off the main wall of our kitchen, and it will destroy the floor and such. So, the good news is, my wife is getting a brand new kitchen with new cabinets throughout, new floors, and new granite countertops. The bad news is, our Christmas dinner that we have held for 20 years is cancelled. Maybe the good Lord knew we needed a break or something.

If we are fortunate something like this DSCN9867.JPG will commit suicide on our road which will result in this DSCN9870.JPG but we usually get stuck with none of these DSCN9868.JPG willingly donating their steaks so we have to work our tails off DSCN8297.JPG which eventually leads to a fight between me and vac (2).JPG which always amounts to more work DSCN2611.JPG.. Of course, I am never alone in my misery DSCN9873.JPG but it can sure

seem that way, specially when time to dust off the DSCN2885.JPG just before Santie shows up..

Good thing patience is a virtue during Christmas at our house, DSCN2737.JPG especially when waiting for some of Tippys smoked salmon chowder DSCN2664.JPG.. After eating though, people make up DSCN2782.JPG and are happy again..

The End.

Merry Christmas

Edited by cowpuc

My family tradition has long been my Dad's spaghetti and meatballs. The meatballs and sauce took 3 days to cook down to perfection. We used to able to find spaghetti noodles that were 3 feet long. A right of passage if you were dating a sibling or were a guest was to be able to roll the noodles into a ball with your fork. Cutters and slurpers were teased a lot. He's passed now but my younger brother now makes the meatballs and sauce every year. We had goose once but it caused a riot. Spaghetti every year.

Our custom is to get the whole family together. The food is whatever the host decides to make. The host also tells the rest of us what to bring to share to lighten the workload on the host........ could be anything, the important part of the day is family being together together, not the meal or even the presents.

FF said it for me too!