IGNORED

Motorcycle value

naturbar

This may sound crazy but dont forget your gear, back when I had my shop I got "visited" by the adjusters every now and than.. You would be surprised at how many of my customers didnt realize their gear was covered under their comprehensive,, I know one person who ended up with an "xtra" 2300 bucks just cause we inquired.. Never ever hurts to ask!! If you do have gear coverage, helmets dont even have to have a mark on them to usually be covered - once they have been involved in an accident they are technically done .. Head to toe clothing has to be damaged..

Another opinion of mine Natty, and its just from dealing with lots of bikes thru the years, it is not uncommon for the deciding factor in a "totalled" bike to be frame damage.. I have noticed thru the years that, be it dirtbikes or roadbikes (cause of the weight involved) that high sided motorcycles have a very high rate of tweaked frames - especially at the neck.. Other than laying down on the road and having someone ride the bike toward you while you look down the axis of the bike, the easiest way to identify frame movement is checking welds and stress points for cracking in paint... If I were in your shoes and it were my bike I would go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for evidence of this.. After the adjuster goes over the bike and makes note of the things he sees I would look at his list and make sure that anything I see that is not on his list he is informed of...

Different companies handle accessories differently.. Some cover "add on's" fully, some not at all.. Some will let you remove accessories that were add on's when they dont cover them, some wont.. Something you will want to check on..

Here is another something you might want to think about and I only bring this up as a friend - not to scare you in any way.. Back when I had my car accident in 03 I broke my back.. Spent over a year in a fiberglass body cast.. Ended up with all kinds of titanium in my back BUT, thank God, they put me back together and I made it out of the wheel chair.. The car insurance company forced me to go to a Doctor they had hired who declared me all better - cased closed and I had NO choice in it.. Since that time I have discovered a bunch of "little" things - collateral damage if you will.. Of course, with my case being "closed" - the "collateral" damage now came out of my pocket (still paying)..

That being said,, if you havent done so it might not be a bad idea to get in and have a really good physical, write down ANY little thing that is bothering you and have it recorded by your doctor.. Pay special attention to your teeth,, it seems like cracked teeth can go unnoticed for a long time and can be VERY expensive to have repaired and most personal healthcare insurance doesnt cover dental..

Thoughts and prayers up for you both!

Puc

Thanks to all you guys for providing links and offering solid advice....it has has been very helpful and provides me some additional ammo while dealing with adjuster. In a couple hours I'll be more informed as to the outcome of his visit. I'll pass along what transpired.... Thanks guys & gals.

Adjuster made it here this morning and as he was adding up the parts that needed replacing, he stopped counting at $12,500.00, needing to go no further because is was now totaled. Now waiting to hear from him about my add on part an the $ value they are placing on the bike. NADA and KBB have the bike valued at $7500.00, the adjuster rated my bike in "exceptional" condition before crash, so I'm hoping to receive the $7500.00 plus whatever portion of the $3250.00 of add on items on the bike. Will update ya'll later.

I assume this means the bike is still in your possession. When the insurance totaled my buddies RS Warrior the adjuster did not come back to look at the bike, they sent a wrecker to pick it up and that was it. He swapped as many stock parts back onto the bike as possible before pickup and we later installed those parts on another friends bike.

They use some kind of crazy formula also. Once you get to some kind of weird percentage of bike value (I think its 62%) they total it out. Some companies let you remove "personal" items, some dont. I have to imagine the bike is at a wrecker yard or something right?, not your backyard.

I have to imagine the bike is at a wrecker yard or something right?, not your backyard.

Not necessarily.

I repaired an '05 RSTD that had been rear-ended this summer, gently enough he didn't even go down. He'd pried the fender up and he rode it 60 miles home. Rear fender, saddle bag, tail light, turn signals etc. $3,803 with labor. This was a bike you had to look close at to know it was hit.

At least 50% of the crashed bikes that are ridden into my shop leave on the scrap wagon.

Not necessarily.

I repaired an '05 RSTD that had been rear-ended this summer, gently enough he didn't even go down. He'd pried the fender up and he rode it 60 miles home. Rear fender, saddle bag, tail light, turn signals etc. $3,803 with labor. This was a bike you had to look close at to know it was hit.

At least 50% of the crashed bikes that are ridden into my shop leave on the scrap wagon.

Hey Carl,, speaking of motorcycle scratch and dent costs, you do anything with Harley thru the years?? Get that bo-bo on a CVO,, those puppies are a horse of a different color at every angle :scared::95::sign67:

Hey Carl,, speaking of motorcycle scratch and dent costs, you do anything with Harley thru the years?? Get that bo-bo on a CVO,, those puppies are a horse of a different color at every angle :scared::95::sign67:

Too different, and I keep busy with the Asia stuff. Just do tires on them.

Back to previous discussion --->

I assume this means the bike is still in your possession. When the insurance totaled my buddies RS Warrior the adjuster did not come back to look at the bike, they sent a wrecker to pick it up and that was it. He swapped as many stock parts back onto the bike as possible before pickup and we later installed those parts on another friends bike.

The bike is in my garage. I'm really not interested in removing anything from it. It's killing me to know I'll never ride again and will begin to get over it the sooner the bike is out of my sight.

If you think it's fixable, it might be worthwhile to buy it back from your insurance company. Cause sometimes they'll write it up as a total damage just because of the cost of repair (new parts plus labor), not necessary because the frame is bent. They will usually sell it back to you dirt cheap. That way you can either fix it and sell it or maybe sell it as-is and get more money. Or maybe you have somebody who would like to play with it and put it back on the road. Certainly, if you don't want to mess with it taking the insurance check is the easiest way.....

never again???

I did 99% of my riding with my wife - she said she is done and I just want to be the kind of husband that honors his wife's request. She has supported virtually every endeavor I've undertaken....now it's my time to support her. There was life before bike riding and I am grateful to be alive today, so I'll just continue to enjoy what time I have left.

If you think it's fixable, it might be worthwhile to buy it back from your insurance company. Cause sometimes they'll write it up as a total damage just because of the cost of repair (new parts plus labor), not necessary because the frame is bent. They will usually sell it back to you dirt cheap. That way you can either fix it and sell it or maybe sell it as-is and get more money. Or maybe you have somebody who would like to play with it and put it back on the road. Certainly, if you don't want to mess with it taking the insurance check is the easiest way.....

Believe me, if I was going to continue riding I'd by it back in a heart beat. I believe I could get it ship shape for max $2000.00 and could pocket the left over $6500.00 insurance money. I just have to walk away and count my many blessings that transpired on the day of the crash.

(Gets up to podium)

Thank you real men of this forum who honor their marriages and speak of their wives as cherished ones, and may your examples shine in this world for today's young men who need to see that which is good.

(steps down)

Naturbar, I hope the insurance is unusually generous and quick to pay you good sir.

(Gets up to podium)

Thank you real men of this forum who honor their marriages and speak of their wives as cherished ones, and may your examples shine in this world for today's young men who need to see that which is good.

(steps down)

Naturbar, I hope the insurance is unusually generous and quick to pay you good sir.

Pbjman,

Nice speech .... I've owned the bike going on 7 years and put approx. 38k miles.....I had a total of $16.5K in it......the settlement is slightly over 50% of that price....so I believe the settlement was fair. Have a great evening and enjoy your time in the saddle....