Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: goldwing f6 "no cruise control"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Many, La
    Posts
    718
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default goldwing f6 "no cruise control"

    I read in one m/c magazine at Walmart today that mentioned that the F6 had no cruise control! It's hard to believe Honda would take it away from existing equipment if it's correct. Maybe I misread it?
    Last edited by jfoster; 03-25-2013 at 11:16 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bristow
    Posts
    291
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default yup

    Straight from Honda:

    "Two Feature-Packed Versions.
    The Gold Wing F6B comes stacked with good things, but for those who want even more, there's the F6B Deluxe: everything in the standard F6B, plus a center stand, self-cancelling turn signals, a backrest, and heated grips. And just like the standard F6B, it comes in either Black or Red."

    Have straddled a few now, IMHO an impressive machine. Talked with owners who have put a few miles on them and get a lot of the same comments like: Super quick, well balanced, low center of gravity, BUT, I need a taller shield, why no centerstand, etc. Mostly dissapointment that Honda would strip some of the standard features.
    However, again IMHO, It is not a touring bike in the least and offers minimal long distance comfort for the driver and passenger. Just my opinion.
    It will never replace the Venture for me.
    Ride Safe,
    James

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    833
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfoster View Post
    I read in one m/c magazine at Walmart today that mentioned that the F6 had no cruise control! It's hard to believe Honda would take it away from existing equipment if it's correct. Maybe I misread it?

    Really ? I think the bigger question here is...Why were you "in" a Walmart...and reading the magazines for free ?


    That aside, it is true that the F6B does NOT have a cruise control, and does not have the handlebar controls for a CB, if you chose to install the CB. This is a stripped down Wing cruiser.

    Now, back to the real question, why were you reading motorcycle magazine for free in a Walmart?



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Brooksville
    Posts
    1,558
    United States
    FL
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Now, back to the real question, why were you reading motorcycle magazine for free in a Walmart?



    He was most likely trying to save a few sheckles for safety chrome
    2000 kawasaki Vulcan 1500: has stuff
    2008 Goldwing ABS: Has lots O' stuff

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Many, La
    Posts
    718
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Really ? I think the bigger question here is...Why were you "in" a Walmart...and reading the magazines for free ?


    That aside, it is true that the F6B does NOT have a cruise control, and does not have the handlebar controls for a CB, if you chose to install the CB. This is a stripped down Wing cruiser.

    Now, back to the real question, why were you reading motorcycle magazine for free in a Walmart?


    ? Just happened....I can see them giving it a more of the street glide look, but being spoiled and like most I love my cruise control, that would be a deal breaker for me. Same reason I passed up the stratoliner for the RSTD.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    4820 55th st. Vero Beach, Fl 32967
    Posts
    3,285
    United States
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A'Lot of People ( in the Real world) can't buy a Brandy new Goldwing, For a lot of us, the thought of a 23K to 30K Bike is out of the question.

    The cruise doesn't bother me as much, as to not the option of a taller wind screen. (Tall screen 399.00) Passenger back rest 399.00.
    I'm thinking next option is the Kawasaki Voyager 1700, at least you'll get a full dresser, for 18K

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sebring FL
    Posts
    3,984
    United States
    FL
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Kawai Vaquero is around 17K if you want the street glide look with no trunk. I think a Cross Country Vic comes in pretty close to that also. I saw one of the F6's the other day while looking for some cleaner. not bad looking, but if a decent height windscreen is $400 and a backrest another 400 phew. Thats alot of ice cream.
    2009 Red RSV
    Trailers are for when your bike is broke, aint they?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Monroe, Indiana
    Posts
    1,605
    United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djh3 View Post
    The Kawai Vaquero is around 17K if you want the street glide look with no trunk. I think a Cross Country Vic comes in pretty close to that also. I saw one of the F6's the other day while looking for some cleaner. not bad looking, but if a decent height windscreen is $400 and a backrest another 400 phew. Thats alot of ice cream.
    How many of you buy your new windshield for the Venture from Mama Yama? No one in his right mind (IMHO) buys an accessory like this from the dealer, unless he enjoys paying through the nose.
    Whether you are buying for a Venture or for the new F6B, buy from an aftermarket source and the cost will be much less.

    The F6B is not meant to replace the decked-out full-blown GL1800 Goldwing. It is a stripped down version for those who will never buy the original 1800. They are trying to reach the cruiser buyers, not the dedicated comfort-demanding touring riders.


    OH....BTW, there is a third party electronic cruise control available (for basically any FI bike) that retails for $240. Takes a bit of installation time, but it's not expensive to add cruise control if you gotta have it. For me, the deal killer for the F6B (if I were in the market for that kind of bike which I'm not) would be the lack of reverse. A short inseam guy like me can't do without the backup assistance.

    Joe
    Last edited by FreezyRider; 03-26-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway.

    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/joeb/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Monroe, Indiana
    Posts
    1,605
    United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh, before someone asks.....here is the link to that aftermarket cruise control:

    http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=369

    Plus, Pete from BikeMP3 (who owns an F6B) is working on a kit that will supposedly offer a unit with a tie in to the stock controls.

    Joe
    Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway.

    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/joeb/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    833
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreezyRider View Post

    It is a stripped down version for those who will never buy the original 1800.

    Joe


    Oh Joe, no no no no no. I would own an F6B in a heartbeat, and I have owned 3 Goldwing 1800's...an '03, an '04, and an '06. And because I have had 3 of those Wings, I would go for the F6B, because it is that much different. The beauty in it (from my perspective) is that you get the same basic drivetrain, but in a blacked out bike.

    What attracts me the most to the F6B is the all blacked out engine, frame, and wheels. Every one of my Wings I have had to power-coat the wheels black. I would have liked to have the frame painted black, and the engine made black, but I didn't. Now the F6B offers that.

    You are right, I would buy the taller windshield from an aftermarket company, just as I did with my previous 3 Wings. I always took the stock windshield off, and installed either a Tulsa sport windshield, or a Clearview. So it is very easy to install a taller windshield on the F6B. And...you are right, it is relatively easy to buy and install a cruise control for the F6B if a person wants one. I would buy one, as I do use my cruise, at higher speeds, to do things while on the bike...not to just cruise down the road at a steady drone speed.

    The reverse being gone is not a deal breaker for me. My insean is only 30"/31", but I rarely used the reverse on my Wings, so I can live without it.

    I do wish that Mother Honda had installed the same left handlebar control for audio that is on the normal 1800 Wings...that includes the controls for the CB. I do use a CB, and buying an F6B would mean I would have to install a JMCB2003 unit which would not look as good on the F6B as a stock CB control from a big Wing would look.

    Again, to me, the attraction is all the blacked out wheels, engine and frame. I can easily add things to make it change its' tune from a cruiser to a tourer, by simple add-ons.

    Don't we already do that with every bike we own...add this...take off that ????

    Make it our own, customize it...but never paint it Yellow



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Monroe, Indiana
    Posts
    1,605
    United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Oh Joe, no no no no no. I would own an F6B in a heartbeat, and I have owned 3 Goldwing 1800's...an '03, an '04, and an '06. And because I have had 3 of those Wings, I would go for the F6B, because it is that much different.
    Yeah, but we all know you ain't normal anyway!!


    There is a huge discussion on these issues over on the GL1800riders forum. In reading the threads there, I do think that you are in the minority on this. Doesn't mean you're wrong, but most who are buying the F6B are either selling their GL1800 Wing or are coming over from other cruiser-style bikes. Yeah, there are a few that are buying them as an additional ride, but they are in the minority according to what I am reading.

    BTW, I'd LOVE to have a 30-31" inseam. Try backing up the fat lady on an incline when your inseam is 26-27. Ain't gonna happen. And then throw in some loose gravel under your feet. Love my reverse.
    Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway.

    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/joeb/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Normal, Illinois
    Posts
    1,908
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [QUOTE=Miles;750965]
    What attracts me the most to the F6B is the all blacked out engine,



    Miles you can't really see the engine so how do we know it's blacked out?

    Love Ya Rick & Shirley

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bristow
    Posts
    291
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Cost

    One of the owners I talked at length with about his F6B had 3 stealers bidding against each other. Ended up paying $18,000 after a few days of back and forth. Out the door, nothing else. 18k.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    833
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreezyRider View Post
    Yeah, but we all know you ain't normal anyway!!


    There is a huge discussion on these issues over on the GL1800riders forum. In reading the threads there, I do think that you are in the minority on this. Doesn't mean you're wrong, but most who are buying the F6B are either selling their GL1800 Wing or are coming over from other cruiser-style bikes. Yeah, there are a few that are buying them as an additional ride, but they are in the minority according to what I am reading.

    BTW, I'd LOVE to have a 30-31" inseam. Try backing up the fat lady on an incline when your inseam is 26-27. Ain't gonna happen. And then throw in some loose gravel under your feet. Love my reverse.

    FreezyRider, you are correct...I am not normal. What is normal anyway?

    And I don't mind being in the minority. Aren't we all in thwe minority, when it comes to the general populous? Given that it is the minority that ride motorcycles, and the majority drive cars...or walk...then we ALL are in the minority. And...my being in the IBA even further seapates me from the majority of motorcycle riders. So...I am so out there in left field, I continue to ride alone...boo hoo hoo.

    And yes, you are also correct in that those riders that have a "need" for using the reverse, really do use it. I have used it on occassion, but I can live without it. In your case, the bike must have a reverse.

    Now that you have been correct 3 times today, you can go back to bed, and dream about what yuou are going to be correct about tomorrow. No sense going to work, and making mistakes.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    833
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [quote=Rick Haywood;750991]
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    What attracts me the most to the F6B is the all blacked out engine,



    Miles you can't really see the engine so how do we know it's blacked out?

    Rick that is a good question. The answer is: When I take the plastic cowlings off to install the Nitrous kit, then I will take a good look at the engine.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Some "personal" touches to my "punk'n"
    By SilvrT in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 09:52 AM
  2. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 02:32 PM
  3. Cruise Control "Bump" Switch
    By RSV Rob in forum Second Generation Venture Tech Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 07:44 PM
  4. Looks like we're "Venturing" to the "dark side"...
    By SilvrT in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 11:51 AM
  5. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •