IGNORED

Cell Phone Law changes in Washington

Owen

BEST BUY and others sell a no wire pick up speaker & mike that links to our cell phone. We who wear hearing aids cannot were them along with a Blue Tooth, so this is one of our solutions.

Just my $0.02's worth. AND I am so glad the enforcement is coming! Yea! :bowdown::banana::hurts::fingers-crossed-emo:dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2::Venture::7_6_3[1]:..the guy who rides in all directions, except down, and though I am ready to go any time UP I am in no hurry!

JackZ

I think the motivation for more enforcement comes from the increased revenue it generates. Here in Houston, just like other places, the 'money grab' is always on. Granted, cell phone restrictions are a good thing for everyone's safety, but motivation of enforcement is not necessarily based on public protection...

Guest seuadr

michigan is also going to take a vote on making cell phone use a primary offense. odd thing is, on the other end of the spectrum, they are taking a vote on repealing the state helmet law.:doh:

Guest HotMech

So right.

Has government stopped anything?

Think Prohibition, Abortion, Covenant Controlled Community,

I'ts like telling your 5 year old he can't do something....

Young bike riders, lofting the front wheel, on the interstate. (I have a great story about that one)

Same law came into effect here in BC, Canada Jan 1st.

I finish work about 15 minutes ahead of my wife so I sit in my truck and wait for her. To amuse myself, I watch the drivers passing by and count the one's using a cell phone. Surprisingly, there aren't that many...anymore. I never did this before the law passed but it sure seemed to me that there were a lot more back then.

Ohio is on the verge of passing a law that specifically outlaws texting while driving. I saw some folks being interviewed and one said that "they are making it more dangerous for me. Now I'll have to keep my phone in my lap and look down all the time".

Here in California we've had that law on the books for a while now, but it was only for talking. They've found that talking on the cell phone only contributed to a 1% increase in accidents while texting ended up at a 6-7% increase. The law was modified to include texting last year.... :)

i really hate to say this , but how stupid as a society do we have to be when we have to have our state governments treat us like children who haven't learned not to touch the hot stove and oprah and her national campaign to educate us about something that is so obvious that any 6 year old would understand it. somehow it has escaped a faction of our population that not paying attention while in control of a 1 1/2 ton projectile is dangerous. doesn't look like technology is making us smarter to me.

ride safe and be cool, thumper1:think:

Edited by thumper1
syntax

i really hate to say this , but how stupid as a society do we have to be when we have to have our state governments treat us like children who haven't learned not to touch the hot stove and oprah and her national campaign to educate us about something that is so obvious that any 6 year old would understand it. somehow it has escaped a faction of our population that not paying attention while in control of a 1 1/2 ton projectile is dangerous. doesn't look like technology is making us smarter to me.

I don't know if it's "stupidity" or a false sense of security. People get into a vehicle and think they're invincible and the bigger the vehicle, the more invincible and protected they think they are and with seat belts, and a dozen air bags... "nothing can happen to me" attitude... they don't give a chit about anyone else. Normally meek people become aggressive monsters once inside their cage. It's a sad, sad state and it's not getting any better.

Was chatting with a couple of co-workers who were born and raised in other countries, one being India and we were talking about the drivers and traffic there. You think it's bad here??? HA! ... but one of the problems I see is that these people immigrate to our country and bring their crazy driving habits with them. No wonder it's getting worse around here. Anybody can read a book, answer a few questions, and pass a simple road test but that doesn't correct those bad driving habits one iota. And then they teach their young...

I for one embrace the new cell phone law here in WA. We all have had the "close" call by an inattentive driver. I do not need statistic to tell me how safe or unsafe cell phone use is to two wheeling folks. It only takes one.

I dislike government interference yet until common sense becomes common I like the option of nailing an offender being on the books. Lastly with the huge budget hole WA is in, and most of the country, the leo's have been handing out moving violations like free air. This new law will be an additonal revenue generator for state gov and make the road safer for you and me.

IMHO, the difference between this cell phone law and potentially repealing the helmet law (MI) is I have no control over the cager who could care less aboout killing me and the court system deems a slap on the wrist as justice. I do have control over riding safely or not. One is choice and the other is regulating for the general welfare (public good).

:pushups:

I'd say "stupid" about sums it up.

ADJECTIVE:

stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est

1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
  2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
  3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
  4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
  5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

NOUN:

A stupid or foolish person.

I just love it when I pass a slow , weaving cage to find some IDIOT (notice I didn't hurt their feelings calling them STUPID) and downshift to the lowest gear possible to make my Baron's ROAR and lay down on the air horn ! Yes I get the dirty looks and the one finger salute . But hey, they sometimes get the message to pay attention .

BEER30

... AFTER I have moved myself beyond their range. One tried to push me to the curb in N Denver, and I dropped back, OFFENSIVELY, then in the inside lane passed him in his turn lane he wanted at the price of my life, and hit my air horn and did a repeated thumbs up! Got his attention I presume, didn't waste my safety looking.

Anyone know of a system that is electric with a button on the dash that makes the sound of a 45 going off? THAT would be VERY effective.

Ride safe, up and alert all. IT IS STILL our world! And it is perfect on our 2 wheels.

JackZ

:banana::hurts::fingers-crossed-emo:Venture: