IGNORED

Fitting for oil pressure gauge

SilvrT

As ya'll know I did the "gauge conversion" last spring. After a summer of driving, I found recently that the "main fitting" (that M20-1.50 oil drain plug that replaces the stock plug in the side of the engine that we tap into) was leaking oil. I had used a nylon washer. When I removed it, I found that the threads were quite chewed up ... not stripped but more like "flattened". Like the sharp edge of the thread had been filed down. Any ideas about this? Are these threads not exactly the same as the plug that comes out of that hole? I'm concerned about re-using it now. There seems to still be sufficient thread depth to hold it in but .... to me, it should look normal after unscrewing it.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? I wonder if wherever I got the oil plug from that they gave me a wrong one...or is that even possible. What is better than a nylon washer? I'm thinking the washer somehow shrunk from compaction and heat to cause the leak because it was fine for most of the summer. I just noticed this recently after parking the bike for the winter.

You might send a note to Ponch, I am thinking he is kind of a guru on the gauges and connections.

Actually, it was V7goose who did a technical writeup about this and I sent this direct to him ... just thought posting it here would get a more varied response (seeing as I haven't heard from goose yet)

I'd be looking fwd to either Ponch's or Goose's input as well as anyone else.

I haven't had a problem with threads flattening out, but it might be worth the effort to get another one if you suspect a problem. The threads are m20x1.50 which should be the same as the threaded hole in the engine case.

I have been using teflon tape on the ones I have installed (about 10 so far), but Sleeperhawk used Oakley's pipe thread compound on his water adapter which worked pretty well for him.

:080402gudl_prv:

i can't explain the flat threads on your fitting.....the fitting i used which i believe came from discount hydraulics.com screwed right into place.....and i removed it a few times when doing my gauge, and it showed no signs of any problem.........i also wrapped my threads with teflon tape...and i also think the fitting came with an 0-ring.....i've had no leak problem

are you sure the leak is coming from the main plug and not from the oil line fitting.

are you sure the leak is coming from the main plug and not from the oil line fitting.

Yes, I've checked it very carefully. Cleaned it all off and blew some talcum powder all over the area... started the bike and ran it until normal op temp. I could then see exactly where it was leaking ... from the edge of the fitting where the teflon gasket is. I remember when I installed it, it seemed rather tight right off yet it wasn't cross-threaded. ... strange.

I think I will get another one and drill/tap it for the brass elbow fitting.

BTW... the threads in the engine look in good shape.

Well, I hate to admit my stupidity but I'm gonna anyway. I thought about this issue of the threads over and over and yesterday I picked up a new oil drain plug of the specified size and while I was thinking about drilling/tapping it, it then all of a sudden it hit me as to how the threads got messed up.

When I drilled the first one, I now remember that the drill bit grabbed and spun the drain plug in the vise. You see, I was drilling it from the "nut" end towards the inside end and had it in the vise where the threads are. Of course, I protected the threads with cloth and wasn't expecting the thing to spin on me... but it did... and that's what caused the threads to get chewed up a bit. Gawd I am LOOSING IT! :bang head:... I guess that was one of the stupider things I've done :buttkick: and my mind just blocked it out. (must be an age thing).

I did it that way because I don't have a drill press and I wanted to be sure that if I drilled it a bit "off straight" then at least the outside hole would be centered. So, holding it in the vise on the threads was the only way.

THIS TIME, with the new one, I am gonna take it to a machine shop and have the hole drilled ... or maybe I should just invest in a drill press... after all, this is a good "excuse" to use to convince the "boss" that I should have one! :D :D

OK... let the razzin begin .... :sign20:

Although going through with a drill press would be a lot of fun - could you maintain the orientation that you had originally (wit the threads in the vice) but would it be possible for you to just shift where you hold the plug in the vice so that you don't crush the threads? That way you could still get your desired centering method to work and you would not crush the threads...

Just a thought for you.

Although going through with a drill press would be a lot of fun - could you maintain the orientation that you had originally (wit the threads in the vice) but would it be possible for you to just shift where you hold the plug in the vice so that you don't crush the threads? That way you could still get your desired centering method to work and you would not crush the threads...

Just a thought for you.

I thought about holding it in the vise at the "nut" end and drilling from the inside to the outside...may still do this. There is not enough of a "lip" on the thing to hold it in the vise any other way (it's either the threads or the nut).

But hey...I always wanted a drill press .... :thumbsup2:

I thought about holding it in the vise at the "nut" end and drilling from the inside to the outside...may still do this. There is not enough of a "lip" on the thing to hold it in the vise any other way (it's either the threads or the nut).

But hey...I always wanted a drill press .... :thumbsup2:

what if you went to the hardware store and got a large nut that would screw onto the threads - protecting them AND giving you something that isn't the threads to hold on to.

With a drill press you will still need to have some way of holding on to it... Albeit it is considerably easier to get the thing lined up and centered...

what if you went to the hardware store and got a large nut that would screw onto the threads - protecting them AND giving you something that isn't the threads to hold on to.

With a drill press you will still need to have some way of holding on to it... Albeit it is considerably easier to get the thing lined up and centered...

Thought about the "big nut" idea too ... may explore that but... dang.... the idea of a drill press has me all excited LOL ... I can get one at Canadian Tire (on sale) for 90 bucks. The drill press comes with a vise apparently. I know I can use it for other things...had many times wished I had one.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/3/StationaryTools/DrillPresses/PRD~0555509P/Mastercraft%2B10-in.%2BDrill%2BPress%2BWith%2BLaser.jsp

Hi guys,

I use a mill. I made an adapter to screw the threaded adapter into then do all the work form the hex side. If you want, I'll send you an adapter and you can send me your new un-drilled one.

Ponch

PO Box 628

Tomball, Tx 77377-0628

832-622-0918 cel

Hi guys,

I use a mill. I made an adapter to screw the threaded adapter into then do all the work form the hex side. If you want, I'll send you an adapter and you can send me your new un-drilled one.

Ponch

PO Box 628

Tomball, Tx 77377-0628

832-622-0918 cel

Now there is a good deal :)

Oh great... get me thinkin "buy a mill" now will ya ... just how am I gonna get that past the "boss" ??? :rotf: :rotf:

Glad you figured out what caused the thread deformation - I couldn't come up with any idea of what might have caused it - certainly not the threads inside the bike. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - I was thinking on it last night, but had to head out early this morning for an all-day PGR mission to receive the body for one of those soldiers who died in the helicopter crash in Afghanistan last week.

I don't think you need to replace the plug at all. Even with the tops of the threads flattened a bit, I'm sure there is plenty of thread left to grip. The easy test is to screw the plug about 1/2 way in and see if it wiggles when you try to rock it. If it does, I'd replace it.

Don't know why it leaked on you - I prefer to use either a copper washer or a fiber washer (that always comes with the plugs I buy), but I would have thought the nylon would have worked too. I'd just pick up a new fiber washer at the auto parts store and try it again. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Glad you figured out what caused the thread deformation - I couldn't come up with any idea of what might have caused it - certainly not the threads inside the bike. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - I was thinking on it last night, but had to head out early this morning for an all-day PGR mission to receive the body for one of those soldiers who died in the helicopter crash in Afghanistan last week.

I don't think you need to replace the plug at all. Even with the tops of the threads flattened a bit, I'm sure there is plenty of thread left to grip. The easy test is to screw the plug about 1/2 way in and see if it wiggles when you try to rock it. If it does, I'd replace it.

Don't know why it leaked on you - I prefer to use either a copper washer or a fiber washer (that always comes with the plugs I buy), but I would have thought the nylon would have worked too. I'd just pick up a new fiber washer at the auto parts store and try it again. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks for the feedback Goose. I did exactly as you suggested (before I even read this). The plug threaded in as it should and there was little to no slack. I had bought a new plug and it came with a fibre washer (the first one didn't come with anything) so I removed the nylon one and used the fibre one. I also used a liberal amount of thread tape on all joints as well as replaced the compression sleeve at the oil line.

Now as soon as I get my clutch back together I can test it.

:D