IGNORED

Sometimes you just can't find it.

petekadish

It seems like some of the discussions we see endlessly discussed, and if we don't have a particular interest in the topic, we might just lightly scan it but not really give it any serious attention. Then later on, we develop an interest in that topic and return to the previous threads to search out the details - and then we can't find just what we need even though we know that we saw it somewhere. That's what I'm up against. If the answer is there, would someone just point me to it please?

I would like to install a nice looking LED Light Bar on my '07 Midnight Venture. However, I don't want to spend $300 on Yamaha's trunk spoiler light bar. I know of one person who found a nice looking bar which he mounted right between his helmet locks, but I can't remember the manufacturer.

I like the Signal Dynamics,15'' LED Ultra Light Bar, but it looks like it would need to be attached to some sort of a fabricated bracket if I wished to put it between my helmet locks. I'm not sure that it would look good to just stick it on the trunk with the adhesive tape. If I mount a light bar back there, I want to make sure that it looks like it belongs there, and not look like something which I didn't take the time to think through properly.

I would also like to see a few close-up pictures of different mounting alternatives and what they look like, but not just when they are lit-up. I already know what bright LED lights look like when they are lit up. I want to see how good the light bar looks as an accessory and if it looks like it's supposed to be there.

So, I'm open to suggestions. But, please be aware that I'm no fabricator. As a matter of fact, I'm probably just barely smart enough to know that it's important to make this task look good, but not able to accomplish it without some help. Each new project becomes a learning experience.

Thanks guys & Be Safe!

Pete.

I actually have an article in the tech library of one that I did back in 1999 I think. It was made by Pilot and I picked it up at AutoZone for about $20.00. To use it as a brake and running light though requires adding a resistor and diode. I've also been told that they don't even sell it any longer but have not checked locally. If I were adding one now, I would just get the one from Diamond R. It is ready to mount, works as brake and tail light and look nice. I think the price is fair.

http://www.diamondraccessories.com/yamaha/proddisplay.php?name=15%60%60%20Slimline%20LED%20Lightbar

Don , They still sale them at Advance or Autozone , can't remember which one . They usually do not stock them , but they can be ordered and usually get in store in a day or so wait . I bought 2 this past fall , one to go onto Tim's scoot and have one as a spare . I'll look up the part # later when I get home and post .

BEER30

I have not installed one of these. I THINK that they simply bolt between the helmet locks. I recommend that you email Diamond R to be sure. I'm almost sure that no drilling is required though. As for the wiring, It has to be very simple. Whether you wire under the seat, trunk, whatever, it will just be three wires to splice into the existing ones.

Basically , no holes to drill , but there are some holes in the helmet lock brackets that are covered by the rubber boot . You have very little room to hold a nut up in while a small bolt that holds the "L" Brackets connect too . Not really a hard job to do after you have installed several of them . I had Tim's installed in way less than 1/2 hour and that included soldiering the wires , remove seat and runs wires , etc........

Basically $20.00 and 1/2 hour time to do .

BEER30

Guest KitCarson

If I do something one time I will remember it for years. For the Diamond R light bar it is a very simple installation. The bar is made perfectly to fit between the helmet locks. It comes with two chrome small metal tabs, and two stainless steel screws with ny-loc nuts. The instructions say to move the rubber lock covers to one side and bolt it up......that part is a little aggravating.....I finally used long nose needle nose pliers to hold the little nuts, all went well with it then. As for the wires.......you will have to deal with two......do not worry about a ground as the bar comes with the ground installed and when you bolt to the bike that takes care of itself. The bar is both running light and brake light.......on the bar you have two colors of wires one is brown with stripe and the other is green with stripe. The brown with dark stripe is the actual running light and the green with light stripe is the brake light......on the bike under the seat in the harness you will find a lot of wires....you want the blue and yellow wires.........the blue light is the running lights and the yellow is the brake lights. I tied the light in to the harness that comes from the rear and out the front of the fender and up past the battery......easy place to get to.

Guest tx2sturgis

I used 1 of the 3 inch LED lights on each side...facing to the rear...then put in some nice looking chrome and black trim...looks good, if I do say so my-own-self.

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok...we can do that...went out there and took a couple of shots...I'll also get a couple pics tonite after it gets dark.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/DB/rsv-1.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/DB/rsv-2.jpg

I wired the LED license plate frame so that it only comes on with the brake light, and the two 3 inch bars are wired as running lights only. I also have a Radiantz LED tail/brake light so the total lumens when I hit the brakes is very noticeable.

The bar between the lights is a piece of aluminum L-channel, cut to fit...and then I used a piece of chrome and black bumper-trim type material, the self-stick type, and put it between the lights.

Hey..it only has to look good to me...and it does.

If you want more details, let me know.

Pete,

I have a Whelen dual intensity LED strip-lite bar mounted under my trunk. This is the same light that HD uses on their police package tour packs. I fabricated a mounting bracket out of a piece of aluminum angle and mounted by using longer trunk mounting screws with locknuts on the bottom. It is very bright and makes a very good running light as well as brake light. Whelen is the company that makes all sorts of flashing lights for emergency vehicles. Attached is a photo of the light bar and here is a link to an online source: http://www.squadfitters.com/catalog/led-lighting/whelen-led-lighting/whelen-strip-lite-brake-tail-led-dual-intensity

DT

Guest tx2sturgis

And here are the night shots...first...running lights only:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/DB/rsv-3.jpg

Then, with the brake applied:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/DB/rsv-4.jpg

As usual..digital cameras cant show the full contrast of the lighting levels..and they are RED...not yellowish as it appears here..but take my word for it...when I hit the brakes, day or night...people can see it quite well...I can see the reflections of the light from stops signs in my mirrors from several blocks away at night.

The stock lighting was as one poster said...fatally dark...Now its not.

Nice job Brian! There really is a lot of creative talent out there. I wish that I had a some. I really find this kind of stuff inspiring.

So far this past couple of weeks, I have ordered the Radiantz LED brake-light board with both the running and the brake light option.

This past week a buddy of mine also turned me on to some new LED, turn-signal lights that he just installed. They are really bright!

So, I ordered some of those also. Check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Bulbs-1157-Super-Red-57-LED-Light-Parking-Brake-2057_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33713QQihZ009QQitemZ190199775260QQtcZphoto

1157 Super Amber 57-LED Light Bulb TAIL/TURN 2357 7528

1157 Super Red 57-LED Light/Parking Brake/2057

To top-off the new LED signal bulbs, I also ordered some clear signal covers.

I'm excited to be able to light things up a little more soon.

Pete.

Guest tx2sturgis

Pete..I hope you have good luck with the LED turn signals you ordered. I found the stock turn signal bulbs to have an unusual offset on the bayonet pins, making them harder to substitute, and besides, you may have to wire in a load equalizer, to maintain a normal blink rate on your turn signals.

I just added the red lenses..I dont care for that clear lens euro-look, that comes on the Venture from the factory. The stock amber bulbs work fine with the red lenses. I know, its not supposed to work that way, but it does. And in fact, I prefer the standard bulbs in the turn signals. Blinking LED's just dont appeal to me.

Its all in what a guy wants to do...and the aftermarket makes it so easy...just open up the wallet, drag out the credit card, and fill in the blanks. Hell...I think I coulda ordered the whole bike on the internet, if UPS would be willing to leave it on my porch!

:scratchchin:

Later!

I used the Ultra LED light bar from Custom Dynamics and found away to accomplish a no dril install. I simply 'wedged' the bar under the trunk between the side of the rack. I had to cut the plastic that comes around helmet locks a little with a utility knife.

I know you (and many others) are wondering who well it stays being that it is 'wedged' in and not locked down, but mine has been installed for 6 months and has almost 10k miles on it and it had not budged, not an inch.

I've attached a couple of pics.