IGNORED

Insurance cost

Guest tone100

Guest tone100

I was hoping someone can answer this question. Why is the insurance so high on my 07 RSTD. Its about $700 a year for full coverage with progressive. I was playing around on their site and a Vulcan 1600 nomad is $200 a year less and even an Ultra classic that costs 10 grand more is $25 a year less. I knew it was higher going in but I was just curious why. Are the replacement parts expensive or do they total easily?

I was hoping someone can answer this question. Why is the insurance so high on my 07 RSTD. Its about $700 a year for full coverage with progressive. I was playing around on their site and a Vulcan 1600 nomad is $200 a year less and even an Ultra classic that costs 10 grand more is $25 a year less. I knew it was higher going in but I was just curious why. Are the replacement parts expensive or do they total easily?

Of course area makes a difference but I only pay $350 a year for my 07 RSV. That is with the AMA discount.

If I were in charge of this world, there would be NO insurance, BUT--

As we all know, I'm not, soooooooooooo

For my 05 RSTD, with progressive it's $329-for MY 86vr it's $255

I think that they do what ever the hell they want.

The one thing that I do know is that I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

How long have you had your motorcycle license? That makes a big difference. Also, I have noticed that it is harder to get replacement parts for an RSV so that may contribute to the higher insurance price.

In the province of Manitoba we have Public Insurance, everyone has to have it. There are no other choices,the insurance, salvage and repairs are controled by the government, I pay $2000 per year for my RSV, I have full coverage and that includes the cost of registration (license plate), it would be nice to have the option to be able to shop and compare premiums from private insurance companys. The coverage is for a full year, but the policy considers the riding season to be May till October and if I was to cancel my policy I would not get much back as most of the premuim would be used up in the above months, but I am on the road in March and I will continue to ride untill the snow comes and the roads get slippery, which can be Nov. and sometime even into December, but not to often ,sure like my heated clothing "Gerbings",the riding season could be much longer if a guy was to head south for the winter as the insurance is still on the bike !

"Mobile"

By full coverage do you also carry personal injury protection for the operator? That may be why.

DT

Guest tone100

I have 100/300 coverage and $2500 med payments, but lowering that didn't change it too much. I've had my lisence for 16 years. In fact I got my bike lisence before I got my car one. I have no tickets or wrecks and excellent credit. But like I said even if I just go to progressives site and get a quote without giving them any personal info the RSTd is still much higher than a Vulcan or similar bike. I don't mind paying it, I love the bike.

I'v been riding for 32 years, I have 100/300/100 from Progressive on my 07RSV and a 03MeanStreak and only pay a little over $600. a year in La.

something sounds very wrong with the price your having to pay for your 07.:confused24:

You just need to get quotes from several companies because it will vary from company to company. Some companies like different bikes and different age groups. I can only speak for Georgia as far as rates but the rating principles are the same for all states. Here is the most extreme example I have experienced. I had a guy in his fifties, his wife and an 18 year old son that each had harleys. The 18 year old has just purchased an 07 electra glide ultra. He is probably the only 18 year old that ever purchased a bagger. They were currently with the harley davidson insurance agency with foremost insurance company and their premium was going up to $2,800 per year with the 07 ultra. I have six companies I use to insure motorcycles and here is how the rates stacked up. Safeco 6,700, American Reliable 6,000, Dairlyland 2,400, Progressive 2,200, Nationwide 2,000 and American Modern Home 1,700. You wouldn't think there would be this much difference. The rates for the venture are higher than most other bikes. I just insured an 07 harley ultra classic screaming eagle for 340.00 per year. I have an 05 venture and when the insurance was up for renewal in february I got quotes from every company I could find, even some that I don't represent. I carry 100/300/50 liability, 100/300/50 uninsured motorist, 10,000 med pay, 250 deductible for comprehensive and collision and roadside assistance. GMAC through rider magazine 1,100, Bike Line 1,200, Progressive 900, GEICO, I wouldn' insure with them if they gave it to me, 750.00, AIG 506.00, American Modern Home 400.00. I find that most agents when asked for a quote just go to Progressive and don't shop the market. I would find an agent that knows motorycles and get multiple quotes and make sure you have adequate coverage. Don't cut corners to save 40 or 50 dollars per year. If you have a claim you will be glad you had proper coverage.

Guest tone100

I called around this morning and Dairyland is 635 and nationwide is 790. This is for 100/300/50 liability 25/50/15 UIM 2500 medpay and 100 comp and 250 collision. Like I said if you just go to Progressives website and put in a quote without any personal info the Royal Star is about 150 higher than most other cruisers. I live in Dallas so that probably makes a difference.

Guest tone100

I called Progressive and they couldn't figure out what was going on with my policy. They cancelled my old one and setup a new one with the same coverage $700 for both of my bikes. That a nice change. It was 1000 before.

I called around this morning and Dairyland is 635 and nationwide is 790. This is for 100/300/50 liability 25/50/15 UIM 2500 medpay and 100 comp and 250 collision. Like I said if you just go to Progressives website and put in a quote without any personal info the Royal Star is about 150 higher than most other cruisers. I live in Dallas so that probably makes a difference.

Being is any large city jacks the rates.

Also, many people that have lower rates for insurance don't have 2500 for medical (which these days isn't much more than a trip to the hospital). I pay about $650 a year for insurance on my '99 RSV. Next year I will pay more since I plan to add more medical. Also, this year Progressive dropped my rates by about $50. Don't know why, but they did.

Guest tone100

I bought the medical becasue I have a $2000 dedcutible on my health insurance. I figure if I whipe out on my own and need medical care the med pay will take care of my out of pocket.

Insurance companies are constantly fighting for market share and revising their rates. Sometimes when a company realizes they can lower their rates its quicker and easier for them to start a new program. They will freeze the old program and start placing all new business in the new program at a lower rate. They won't tell you about the new program with the lower rate so you have to find out for yourself. Here in Georgia it takes the insurance department forever to approve a rate increase or decrease so the insurance companies will just start a new program. I have many people that come to me that have been with Progressive for a long time and I re-write them with Progressive at a lower rate. It's hard to explain this to people but that is the way it is.

With my 05 RSTD I am paying just less than $300/year with State Farm/ I understand that State Farm has only recently started writing motorcycle policies. Might check with them too. GEICO and Progressive are both lower then most. :080402gudl_prv:

Lowflyer07

Ride Safe

Guest maddabber

In Ontario I pay $750 a year for basic coverage, no fire, theft or collision in this policy. There is a Gov medical charge on each policy wether it be car or bike. I know that I can not drive or ride at the same time . But you know the law is the law.

Darrell

• 1 year later...

There are many factors in insurance costs: location, driving records, riding classes.

After reading a few posts about problems with Progressive, I checked with Allstate. We have auto and home with them.

I was paying $398 for 07 RSV and 06 VStar: 50/100/25, 10,000 uninsured, 250 deduct on 06, 500 deduct on RSV, no medical.

Allstate agent got me 50/100/50, 10,000 uninsured, no medical and 250 deductables for everything, and towing too. And only cost me $403 at Allstate.

So long Progressive.

I have full coverage on my '06 RSV. I just paid $1120 for the year.

In Ontario I pay $750 a year for basic coverage, no fire, theft or collision in this policy. There is a Gov medical charge on each policy wether it be car or bike. I know that I can not drive or ride at the same time . But you know the law is the law.

Darrell