IGNORED

Possible new trailer build

Brenner

Hi guys, those who monitor the first gen discussion might recognize me as a new member resurrecting an 85. Well prior to starting that project and part of that projects decision was to build a bike and trailer for my hopefully upcoming needs. I have been putting off the trailer portion of the build and have been scanning the classifieds and online sales and auctions without finding a trailer that I really like. I have come to the point of going the harbour freight way as many have done in the past but I am still stuck on one difference that I would possibly like to accomplish if I can. I have seen many many pics of motorcycle pull behind trailers and I am drawn to the very few that utilize motorcycle tires and rims. I have parted more than one bike to build my project and have a couple wheels and tires that might suit a trailer just fine. My questions I suppose are has this been done recently? Is there reason why it is not being done? I understand the geometry required so no problem there and the weight factor is low so why is this not more common? I like to think it would look nice having matching wheels on bike and trailer. Thoughts and or comments?

The only real difficulty that I can envisage for you is how are you going to get over the design and construction of a suitable suspension system that will not encroach too much into the available cargo space.And also look nice.

That is of course if you do not opt for a solid axle and no springs so that the CG. is kept as low as possible, then you would have to rely solely on the tires to provide some springing for the load.

I recon that that solution would be dodgie (Winky Wonky) at the least.

Good luck with your project I will be interested to see Whatever design that you come up with.

One concept that I found very interesting and from which I have constructed my own concept of an expanding tear drop trailer was a write up google Iaho bed roll camper.

This old guy had some interesting ideas.

If interested, check out the photos in , My gallery.

Cheers , Winston66, Northampton, Western Australia

Edited by winston66
Additional information.

Keep in mind that it takes quite a bit to get those MC wheels turning and to keep them turning. The other thing that comes to mind is the tires. MC tires aren't cheap first of all, but then there is also the factor of grip on the contact patch. MC tires are designed to carry some weight, and the trailer will not necessarily give you close to that weight, so traction will be significantly reduced..... just some thoughts.

Once you get past the suspension issues. It can and has been done.

The other MC tire issue will be wear. Since the tires will never lean, all wear will be just down the center. On a bike the most wear happens in corners, but the bike is leaning to get the wear onto the sides of the tire. The MC tires are also not designed for a lot of side load, again due to the lean in the corner.

There have been a few that used bike tires on the trailer, they all went thru a lot of more expensive tires.

The other option is to go darkside on the trailer tires on the MC rim. This way you have a tire that is designed to be run flat and is designed to have a side load in the corners, but at least have a wheel and approximate profile that matches the bike.

I say if that's what you like, go for it, It can be done, It is not by its self dangerous. I love things that are creative and outside the box.

Edited by Flyinfool

But why go from a dsigned trailer tire, to a narrow bike rim only to mount acar tire. I would think the weight limit in a bike tire less also, unless you set it up to run rear tires. Just say in I thinks your tryin to out think practicality.

Leland, you know exactly what I mean. I kinda like the look of those trailers and to me they are more eye pleasing. I would like to come up with something similar and painted to match my project bike. I have been considering a drop axle or half axle that pivots on front and possibly use a coil spring setup or laugh if one wants to a small air bag setup. Just wild ideas until I start trying to build it. Honestly still trying to visualize it and probably will gather some parts prior to attempting the build, for instance a swivel hitch.

Thank you for that link as I honestly was looking for a hitch. I am torn on my decision on what to build. Maybe a cheap unit (harbour freight with cargo box) to start then work on something nicer so I can take my time? Or make a nicer unit next winters project? Honestly I have also considered that if I decide to pull a cowpuc and am able to get my wife to ride with me for a trip maybe even build a small light teardrop (first two links) as she won't tent it but I do not know if a first gen would pull it okay. I am running second gen gearing and a vmax drive. I still am in love with the bike wheels (third link) but maybe it is not a good idea. I have time to consider it as my project bike is still not done yet and I don't want to start another project until it is finished. I have been looking and found this home made camper unit (fourth link) and like it a lot as it has bags as I previously mentioned. I really did not think much about a camper till I saw a few online pics and ideas. Maybe I will need to build two trailers? One for solo and one for with the misses? Anyone know off hand what a first gen is comfortable pulling? I understand no more than 25 lbs tongue weight.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7256/7128022507_9806941b29.jpg

http://www.richardflake.com/images/teardrops/aerotear/model%2096/rtfrtqtrl.JPG

Tow behind motorcycle trailer, sport touring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiUq8Z1M_Xs

Please note all links are found online and not mine but only for reference as to what I am considering building. If I offend anyone by use of links please contact me and I will remove at first request.

If all you are doing is looking for a cargo trailer to pull behind the bike, I'd go with the Harbor Freight "Tag-along". On sale now for $379 and with the 20% off coupon you can get in several magazines would only cost you $300.

78" Tag-Along Trailer - 600 Lb. Capacity

It has 8" trailer wheels but for the cost and the positive experiences I and several others have had with this trailer, you can't go wrong for the price. You can't build a trailer for this price.

XV, I have seen those nice little trailers before and yes they are great for the price. It looks like I will stay with a budget trailer and consider my options in the future for something better. This morning I drove to Niagara Falls and purchased a Voyaguer XL cargo box with keys for $25 used. I am going to watch the harbour freight ads and get the lowest price trailer kit and put my own unit together. I figure this trailer will cost me no more than $200-250 depending on if I run led lights or not. I will make a new post if and when I decide to try to build a small teardrop camper as currently I have enough on my plate with the bike itself. I have a yard of unfinished projects just ask Marcarl as he has seen them and I do not want this to become another. Once I have another I am sure I will have no problem selling this one off for what I have into it if not a few bucks more. Reality is setting in.

• 1 month later...

Not much of an update but today I acquired a homemade ownership and registered my trailer plate for this project. I believe I mentioned earlier I have the cargo box and two nice front tires and wheel assemblies off the first gen venture with matching fenders. I am struggling with my options on suspension, axle, and frame design. My project bike now has the markland hitch installed and altered to fit cleanly so I have my desired tongue height to measure from. Now I just gotta figure out the rest of the trailer. Foolish or not but I think I am starting to over complicate things as I consider coming up with a surge brake to utilize a set of MK1 calipers one on each wheel the inner side so my load or the trailer won't steer or push the bike. I have never towed with a bike before and really do not know what to anticipate. All my information is coming from high end tag along trailer designs I see on the internet and it seems the possibilities are endless. I have even been considering a drop axle with an airbag suspension but it will take some fabrication time but might be worth it in the long run. I have to keep the center of gravity as low as the bike and keep the suspension smooth as I can. All the components I am looking at are low priced and will need be made to fit the way I can use them.

Thank you for the pic and info. That is similar to what I would like to build but with a lower cargo lid and the venture rims to match the bike. The suspension has been driving me nuts and I have yet to settle on a decision of how it will be made. To me that pics is a real motorcycle trailer and not a small car trailer converted which I will use if I have to but again I am trying to go strictly motorcycle parts if possible. Right now I am even trying to figure out what tail lights to use etc.. they will be motorcycle and possibly Harley square backs as they are so common and cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I broke down and bought a harbor freight kit with the 12" tires as the price was right. I am not sure if I will try to fit it with the M/C tires or not. Looks like it is leaf springs for me as honestly my current project is dragging out and I really want to make use of it and learn how to pull a trailer this year. A question to any who might be able to answer. I have heard of having to lengthen the tongue and if true by roughly how much? I am considering building a swivel hitch and using it to lengthen the tongue.

An overall draw bar length of a minimum of 1.8 times the track width of the trailer should prove to be satisfactory. and negate any effect of the tail wagging the dog,

This is measured from the axle to the trailer hitch.

Up to 2 X the track width should also be ok.

Have you seen my write up that I mentioned in the second or third posting.

Cheers, Winston66,

Northampton, Western Australia