IGNORED

BF Goodrich won't seat

eagleeye

My mechanic tried everything. slime, silicone, aired up many times. He took it off of the rim and I polished it and tried again. Now it is sitting near the wood stove with approx 60+ lbs of air in it for the night.

One side just won't go no matter what.

Maybe the heat will do it. If that doesn't work, I'm going to take it to the tire store and see if they will use their blaster on it.

If that doesn't work I'm taking my heat gun to the shop and we'll try that.

I'm listening__________

So do I understand rite. One side will sit down in bead and the other wont go over the hump? I have had car tires the bead lip has a bit more rubber on the in side and it just wont go. Sometimes once the ru-glide or whatever dries it actually gets sticky. I have used baby powder inside tube type tires to keep the tubes from getting pinched.

Thanks for the tip on baby powder. I've used it on tires with tubes for that reason myself, and I agree it works great.

I took it to a tire shop and he used a different lube and it went right on.

I'm going to use beads inside this tire for balancing.

Yup the beads work good for me. I have used them on the last 4 sets on the bike. Have them in the rears on the 3/4 ton PU now also. sometimes those inside beads are so sharp (squared off) they wont slip over at all. they should have like a rounded edge leading to the inside of the tire, but sometimes its dang near square. and that dont glide over nuttin.

It's cleaned up and mounted, and the bike back together. Just got home from getting the new front Shinko mounted. 130-90-16.

I don't have that one cleaned up and on the bike yet.

I stopped to get some beads but the shop didn't have them so sometime before spring I'll put them in.

The front tire I had balanced and won't put the beads in it.

I did take the opportunity to clean up the bottom and back of the mufflers which never happens otherwise.

007 (Medium).jpg

009 (Medium).jpg004 (Medium).jpg

Edited by eagleeye

• 1 month later...

It can take up to 100 lbs to seat the tire. Caution your mechanic to keep his hands clear when the pressure gets high. If the sidewall blows and he is too close, it will HURT.

By the way i use BF Goodrich T/A radial because some manufacturers' sidewalls are not as strong, and blow out more often.

i used dawn dish soap and water 50/50. aired to 60, let air out and immediately back to 60. air out again, spray bottle of dawn and water onthe remaining spot and quickly aired up to 65. could see it moving slowly so i backed up. about a minute later it went. i wrapped a chain around rim and wheel and tied to the workbench just in case.

• 5 weeks later...

I too am running this BFG tire. Yes, I too will tell you it finally popped the last little bit of the bead on at 118psi. When it popped on at that pressure.....both me and my friend jumped out of our skin. We wrestled with getting it to properly bead up and seat for over 2 hours. I love everything about this darkside tire......EXCEPT high speed wobble. With this tire on our bikes.....you will have to keep the speed below the triple digits. Cruises beautifully at 75-85 all day and night. Take it from me and the fear that still lies in my heart..... the death wobble I got the morning I decided to try to bury the needle on a straight stretch of road.....I hit 105......and the wobble was so bad that I am still amazed that I am here to write this post today. I know the people driving in the cars behind me had to have been ready to see a 225 pound guy sliding on pavement at over 100 mph. By the grace of GOD.....I managed to get this beast back under control around 60 mph. Look, I love my BFG Tire and swear by all the benefits it offers, my advise to all, if your making the move or are thinking of becoming a Darkside rider...... the Cruise control can not be set higher than 80 MPH(electronically limited).....so use that logic with a flat tread tire and keep her rolling less than 85 mph. If you are the rider that likes to push the limits of the right side of the speedo cluster.....stick with a good MC tire.....your underwear will thank you.

Edited by paai1993