Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. I'm a new RSV owner and haven't been able to find answers to my questions, so I apologize if these are repeats. My first question is, how do I change the passing lamps to either come on with low beams instead of high, or stay on regardless of headlight setting? They are currently wired to come on only with high beams. Second question: the passing lamps appear to be misaligned, and I see no obvious way to adjust the alignment. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance!
  2. Okay, I've been lurking for a while but I finally had to join today. I bought my 2004 Midnight Venture 3 weeks ago with 63,000 miles in near showroom condition. I absolutely love it and couldn't ask for more. Anyway so onto my issue. I'm going on a ride with my club later today and was hoping to show the ole girl off. I was adding some air to the tires with my compressor plugged into the dc/cigarette outlet and all was well. Until I fired the bike up while the compressor was running. The compressor stopped immediately and now I have no power to the DC outlet, and worse my head light and passing lamps are out. I'm guessing I blew a fuse but I'm really not sure. Any help would be great. Looks like I'm going to have to take my old bike after all because we're going to the coast and will be riding back at night. Also, I'm not sure if this is the correct place for a post like this...
  3. Finally got all my lights hooked up and the front end of the bike back together. Changes include HID low beams, "blacked out" headlight pods, and smoke signal lenses. Painted the signal light pods black. Also added new lower cowl driving lamps. Third pic shows the left signal ON. All shots were taken in daylight inside my shop. [ATTACH]73331[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]73332[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]73333[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]73334[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]73335[/ATTACH]
  4. I wanted to get a new housing for one of my passing lamps. Yamaha can't order just one. I decided to go with H3 Halogen so they (Yamaha) ordered the ones for the tour deluxe. They have a switch on one of them that I didn't want or need. What do I need to do to make this work, and get rid of the switch? I'm doing a makeover on my 99 RSV , and I'm trying to get things finished before the painted parts are done.
  5. I had to replace a burned out bulb for my passing lamps and was reminded what a junky set up they are. Has anyone replaced the passing light buckets with something better? Perhaps something that can be adjusted without removing the bulbs? I'm good for another year or so until these bulbs burn out but I wouldn't mind finding a better set up to mount on my light bar.
  6. I am looking at the LED headlamps and passing lamps sold by customdynamics.com. Is anyone using these yet? I think they're pretty new. I am thinking this might be a better way to save amps than LED turn signals/running lights and/or swapping out the stator for the HO one. Thanks for any and all input. Don
  7. Passing lamp's for 2008 RSTD? Joe
  8. So I would like to get some passing lamps and I like the tri-bar halogen ones. I inquired about one set with part number STR-4WM35-10-EA and was told they were the lamps only with out the Buckets? Another set with this part number I inquired about says there is no harness, just a wire coming out of the back. That Part number on Yamahas website says Tri Bar Passing Lamps, need to use with mount sold separately. So For a Tri bar set up what part number (s) do I need? does the connecting harness for the passing lamps come with lamp or the mount kit? Do I just need the 1D6 mount and the lamp set part number above? Was trying to do it cheap through different sources, but maybe going through one of the online dealers is the way to go even if its more money. Thanks. RSTDdog
  9. So is it possible to blow "both" bulbs on my passing light assembly. I started the bike yesterday ...and no passing lamps( i wired them to stay on day and night)...i know one of you can help me with this.
  10. I have been, on a tiny budget, preparing my 1986 Venture Royale for Long Distance riding. At the start of this thread I want to show you two of the mods accomplished. The pictures show an equipment shelf I added recemtly. This is made from 2" x 1/8" aluminum strip from Lowes. I will put a few miles on the bike to make sure the mounts will hold. If not, I'll add supports. This shelf cost less than $15 and will carry my phone, satellite radio, two GPS units and a radar detector. The driving lamp brackets are made from the same material. The lamps themselves are Walmart specials. These lamps are cheap ($18), but reviewed quite well. When I can afford it I will swap them for the Philips HID Driving Lamps. The headlight has a HID conversion, which takes care of the dip beam, the driving lamps supplement the high beams and are controlled by a separate switch on top of the brake fluid reservoir. The screen, discussed in another thread, has been cut down from 25" to 18", and narrowed considerably. http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0639.jpg http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0640.jpg http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0641.jpg http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0643.jpg http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0642.jpg There are other mods done, and more to come and I'll add to this thread later. Meanwhile, I'll take suggestions too, and if anyone has a 5 gallon fuel cell lying around, I'll take that too
  11. Turned on my bike today and my lamps didnt come on....Bulbs?
  12. My '91 VR came with an aftermarket light bar on the trunk. It has amber turn signals on the corners, "tail lights", just inboard, and the center section is a brake light. One of the turn signals burned out, and I thought I could get to the lamps by removing 3 screws from inside the trunk... Yeah, right. As it turns out, the turn signal lens, (and I'm assuming the red lens for the brake and tail lamps) just "pop" out. Apparetly the previous owner used RTV to keep the turn signal lens in place. Question is, does anyone know who made this light bar? I'd like to find more info about how it is mounted and how lamps are changed. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  13. First of all I apologize to Wally, and Tony for this triple post. Please delete it if it is a duplicate. I am in the process of parting my faring. I have it all dismantled except I can't figure out how to remove or if I have to remove the Passing Lamp mounting bracket that fastens using the two hex bolts. I don't even know what size they are and I don't know how to reach them because of the angle they are at. Is it necessary to remove these in order to drop the passing lamps down enough to remove the front faring piece? I'm stuck at this point and not sure how to proceed. If you have any comments or suggestions I would appreciate it. Thank you Chris in Red Deer, Alberta.
  14. Hi Folks, sorry if this is the wrong section to post this is but i am wanting to put some passing lamps (i believe that's what they are called) on my bike and was wondering how much they cost, where can i get them etc? I also want those little visors on the lights like the bike shown below. I have also seen a LED light strip that people are putting on the trunk of their bikes that i would like to get. Can i run both of these items and my GPS without draining my battery? Sorry if that's a stupid question but i just want to make sure. Thanks in advance for your help guys. P.S. Also to who ever owns this bike, i hope your not offended by me using your picture.
  15. A big THANK YOU to raceman62race for providing this PDF document for the Yamaha Passing Lamp installation. These are the original instructions from Yamaha that many say do not always come with the lamps. Most folks here would recommend that you supplement these instructions by adding a relay. Adding a relay will prevent the extra load of the lights from passing through your ignition switch and also isolates the passing lamps from your normal light circuit which would prevent your losing your headlight in the event of a short circuit within the passing lamps. Here is a simple diagram on wiring a relay for the lamps. [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=525]Standard Passing Light Relay Wiring - VentureRider.Org[/ame] The actual Yamaha instructions are attached here as a pdf file. Passing Lamp Installation Document
  16. Well now I know. Thanks to Freebird, I was looking at the passing lamp factory installation instructions in the tech library to find out how to adjust the aiming of the lamps. Who would have guessed that the adjustment CAN NOT be made from outside the lamps? You have to go inside, make an adjustment, put it back together and check it, then if it's not right, go through it again! Darn poor design, but at least now I know. Well, while I was looking through the instructions I found that there is a switch in the wiring circuit! I'm the 2nd owner, the PO had the lamps installed by his dealer. I thought that the lamps came on with the ignition switch, no other option. That little push button switch down by the 12V outlet is so well hidden I would never have found it without having access to the information in the instruction manual. A big THANK YOU to the Freebird, you're the man!
  17. Was looking around at Custom Dynamics website and saw they have the 7" LED headlamp and 4 1/2" LED passing lamps...(Sorry, I have no clue how to load a website).
  18. I bought a set of passing lamps used so of coarse no instructions. Where should I get the power from? Do I need relay?
  19. So I went down to the local dealer the other day, and they had a bunch of stuff on clearance for 75% off. So I grabbed everything that they had that would fit my bike. They had the passing light mounts, but not the lamps. They did however have a lightbar with some lamps mounted to it, so I bought that too (not the right lamps for this bike, but I made them work). I also grabbed some other stuff and sold it on ebay, and it paid for my whitewall tires and saddlebag rails. Well anyway, after all the great posts on this site, I was able to tear off my own wheels, grease the splines and got it all back together. I did, however, mess up, and didn't get the driveshaft back in the u-joint properly. I had to rip it back apart in 100 degree weather, and get it fixed. I was able to get it all put back and cleaned up. For under $200, I was able to pick up... All 3 fender tips, 2 leather bags (one for the backrest, and one for the front) I wanted to mount the one on the front under the headlamp, but I am still trying to figure out how to mount it. I also got the front fender rail and passing lamp mount and assembly. Anyway, today I got it all finished up, and I like the way it came out. I am Godlover's son, and he got me into this site, then sold his RSV? Go figure!! Well, what I can say is, Thank You for the wealth of knowledge y'all share.
  20. I had the two side lamps installed when I bought my rstd new. they have a little toggle switch to turn them on and off. I thought they either stayed on all the time, or came on only on low beam. Is there any particular way these lamps are supposed to be used? or is it simply a matter of personal preference? I must admit, I can't tell that much difference as far as better visability when they're on, but maybe that's just because they're not aimed right. Another question I had was concerning the stator output capacity. I know the older Goldwings came from the factory pretty much at their peak handling capcaity, and you had to be careful about adding on additional light accessories. I was just wondering if the same was true for these yamahas? Thanks for your help. bill
  21. Hi folks! I recently (one year ago) added driving lamps to my 85 VR and I have had issues with the driving lamps taking alot of power to run. So much in fact, that when I'm running at approx 3500 - 4000 rpm the charging system can hold it fine but if I drop into city driving speeds, the draw becomes troublesome. After some city driving with the lamps on, my radio will drop in volume in relation to my turn signal. Blink on, lower volume, blink off, higher volume. (kind of funny now that I'm typing this). I have the positive running direct to the battery and my question is "Is there a better way to do this so the draw isn't quite so high?" The lamps 2 x 35w halogen. Stator is new in 2006. Any suggestions will be happily considered. Thomas
  22. A while back I wanted to switch from the sealed beam to halogen lights for my passing lamps. The solution I chose was the $20 set of Adjure lenses, actually 2 sets since I cracked the first one. Later the I cracked another and decided it was time to for a better upgrade. I chose to order the Vstar halogen lamps and installed them tonight. Wow, what an improvement over the Adjure. The were bright when I first installed them but after installing the first Vstar lamp and comparing them it was clear that the Adjures and yellowed or fogged because it was very dim when compared to the Vstar. If you are running the Adjure lamps you might check them. Dennis
  23. Hi all. I put a set of Yamaha passing lamps on my 06 RSTD about 3 weeks ago. I have been running with them on all the time in hopes of being more visable on the road. Twice, during daylight hours, I have had cars flash their high beams at me. I believe they think my passing lamps are my high beam lights and I mistakenly have left them on. Do you folks with these lamps leave them on all the time? If so what reactions have you experianced.
  24. On my way home last night I hit a deer.........Glad I was riding the tour Deventure.... Never went down.... Cracked the right side lower and the passing lamps and bruised up my right leg.... But no cuts or road rash......... WOW what a night.... Went out today and bought lottery tickets....