Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

Found 24 results

1. I've been hearing about these three for sometime now and, some use a battery tender, some use a battery maintainer and some use a battery charger. What is the difference. Spock: "A Difference That Make No Difference Is No Difference"
  2. My son's friend just got an R6, 1999 he thinks, and is having a problem. He got a new battery and charged it. The bike starts with the charger attached but when he unhooks the charger leads the bike won't run. He let the battery charge over night in hopes that would solve it and I'll know later tonight if it did. If not what would you suspect. I'm thinking maybe bad or dirty connection on the ground or positive so that's where I'll start.
  3. What would you buy? It seems my old battery charger went belly up over the winter. I need something dual purpose for motorcycle battery's and automotive.I had an old Napa charger it done 10 amp and 2 amp charges with a 55 amp start boost but it's dead now.
  4. So with the new HO Stator, starter clutch, and programmable TCI installed I can't get the bike cranked. After 3 cans of starter fluid the bike will fire only as long as the starter fluid is present but then chokes out. The fuel pumps seems to click for long time every time I turn the key on. And the battery drains down to nothing quickly and I've had it on the charger all day. When the charger indicates charged it has 13.5 volts but doesn't last long. The bikes been sitting for about a year. I'm thinking I'll probably have to pull the carbs and go through them again. But, I thought I'd get some more opinions before I did that.
  5. I saw an interesting product on www.woot.com this morning. If you are not familiar with woot, they sell one product a day for really good prices - generally refurbs and/or overstocks. $5 shipping for anything. I am not associated with woot in any way, just buy things from them periodically. Today, they have a solar battery charger. The description claims it to be a standard charger with float charging technology. Appears to be a 'battery tender' type product that runs on sunlight. Claims to work with gel type batteries also. I thought this might be nice for some folks who store their bikes in sheds without electricity. It is too large to be a travel charger (over 3 feet long). $100 + $5 shipping. If interested, just go to the website and it is on the opening page. RR
  6. With a good amount of folks with electrician or electrical backgrounds thought I would post this and see what you guys think. 1st I will say the response I was given I think is a bunch of b.s. and just a gimmick to get you to buy a new charger unneccesarily. I currently have an LG ENV3 and I was looking at the LG Revolution. I asked the rep about the car charger I have will work with this smartphone. She removed the cover and the ports were the same so in my mind it should work. She said no as the car charger I have doesn't produce enough juice to charge the battery. She made some comment about it might even cause premature battery wear. Every single smart phone review that I have read no matter which one it is, all say smartphone battery life is bad, so again don't really see how I am at a disadvantage here. So I also posted this question on the verizon wireless facebook page and here is one response I got "Because the charger isn't strong enough to charge a smartphone. All chargers go up to a certain wattage, and a smartphone takes a higher wattage." So to my question is what is your take on the wattage comment?
  7. Anybody have a known good fuel pump that I could use for testing purposes for a few days? I have my pump off bike (G1 MK2)... and when I connect direct to 12v power source I'm getting a fair amount of arcing at the batt with no pump run. UPDATE/EDIT: I connected it straight to batt charger (10A setting) instead and it broke free after a few attempts. Wonder if it was bound up inside. Guess that's an early warning signal, eh?
  8. History, 83 venture. PO battery junk and replaced with AGM dec09 from batterys plus. April 2010 battery blew up like basket ball(case swelled)-likely my fault, charged with auto battery charger at about 10A. Battery Plus honored warrenty and replaced april 2010 Currently working on electrical mods, and about 1 month testing on bike(key on, test, key off....)battery down to 10V, never any power problems during any testing. Mods done and working great, last night decided to charge (4A) and ride in AM. AM charger shows failure, key on and everything dead.(clock display on key off then disappears key on). V check battery=9V, amp check accross battery(20A scale)=.1A try to recharge, and computer charger detects fault and fails to start. Back to Batterys Plus, they test simular readings, are trying to recover battery but likely hopeless-not responding correctly to charger, warrenty expired, purchase new battery and tender(battery minder plus). If they manage to recover will be spare. pictured 1-battery using, 2-computerized charger using, 3- new tender Now the question, What could have caused the AGM to go completely dead overnight while on computerized charger, and it was fine power wise prior to charging? Do I need to be leary of my computerized charger? Fixing to go out and check key off load test, and amp test computer charger(on auto battery) to verify 2-4-6amp readings are correct. will post update. Not having much luck with AGMs, what am I doing wrong? update key off=.6mA charger at 2A=2.7A, at 4A=4.0A, at 6A=5.0A, charges for just 1 pulse then quickly detects complete charge and shuts down charge complete on all 3 cycles
  9. I have a used, from ebay oem power outlet coming. My plans are to find a nice, clean spot and wire it directly (FUSED) to battery for 2 purposes. I will use it for the obvious such as cell charger or whatever, but my second thought is to use it for my maintainer plug. Dual purpose outlet. Thoughts?? Suggestions?? I have a spot figured out already, and have the maintainer.
  10. Seen lots of discussion about a "battery tender"...and it is obvious they are the electrical plug type. So...I assume these are not just a charger? I have heard of putting batteries on a 2 amps charger , on a timer, so it only comes on 1 hour a day. I purchased some cheap solar battery tenders from Canadian Tire. These are supposed to put out up to 1.8 watts/125 mA under ideal conditions. But...they won't be any good in my garage over the winter! SO....the question is What is a battery tender? Can I hook up multiple batteries to a single Charger/tender? With all the toys and equipment I have 8-10 batteries!
  11. I purchased an 06 Venture a few months ago and it came with some LED lights in strip form. I connected 4 strips together and wired them to my trickle charger and all were working. I then put them on my bike, found a wire that was only hot when the key is on and wired them in. I connot get them to work. I even connected them directly to the battery and nothing. Why will they work on the charger and not off the bike?? Any and all help appreciated.
  12. For any of you guys using the Oddessy batteries, Do you have the proper charger? They need a higher amp to charge the battery and maintain them than other brands and you regular battery tender just wont cut it. I found that out!! I have since stopped using the Oddessy in my bike so if anyone is interested I have a Oddessy Ultimizer battery charger for sale. It is like new. I only used it for a few months before I went to a Yuasa battery instead. Im asking for $55 shipped and it is in the original box. Anyone interested PM me. First come first serve. Thanks Guys!! Scotty
  13. I haven't started my bike, 1300 Venture standard, for several weeks. It has been on a battery tender all that time . I went to turn it on and Nothing. The battery charger shows the battery as charged, but I get no current. Any Ideas. Bill
  14. 07 venture, stock battery......battery failed 3 load tests; mine, Battery Plus, and the dealer......shows 12+ volts, drops to 6V under test......dealer has already been given the go ahead to replace it free....but he must try to " bring it back up " first ( 24 hr charge)..... here's my questions.....he says that my battery tender, which is a Battery Tender jr., will not properly charge this type battery...nor will a regular charger, and that they will damage this battery......that i need to get the charger that yamaha has...........i might buy the story about a regular charger, but not about my battery tender not working on an agm as Battery Tender says it will....so......who's right? and...what should the minimum voltage reading be under a load test.....( just for my clarification) and...my regular charger does shut off when battery shows charged, so why shouldn't it work also
  15. Hello everyone, I'm new to the RSV world. I just bought my '05 midnight special two weeks ago(traded in an '03 Valkyrie for it) and love it. I've already put 800 miles on it. I've noticed this chirping sound in it that resembles the turbo charger whistle from an old military truck and have read some of the threads on here about it. It is pretty annoying. What is it? On my bike it starts at about 50 and gets louder all the way through any reasonable cruising speeds up to 75(I haven't tried cruising above that and don't intend to). The salesman I bought it from rides an '01 and he said his does it too, that it was normal. Is that true or is there something that I need to have done to it?
  16. I asked the previous owner. He isn't sure whether the battery has been replaced or not. If not, it is 9 yrs old and I have been having battery issues. The 3 nights I put it on the battery tender. When I went to check on it the next morning, it was still red. Just before I left to go to work it turned green. That is 12+ hrs it needed to charge the battery. W/ my previous bike, it was a couple hours and it was charged on a 5 yr old battery. 2 nights ago, I put it on the charger and it was green by the morning. Last night, I put it on the charger and still red this morning. So assumming it is the original battery, I rode in this morning and was pretty much dying just before I pulled into the parking spot. Dealer said battery prices just went up. Quoted me $145. Online OEM says around $101. Does anyone know of any alternates? Can you pick up the same battery at places like Autozone? Thanks. Jerry
  17. I haven't been riding for a while and my battery is dead. I have a two amp trickle charger, a long with a 10 and 15 amp charger. Can i use the 10 or 15 amp to charge my battery, or should i use the trickle charger? In the past i've jumpted started from a car battery with no damage. Thanx Bob
  18. I picked up a new battery for the 84 this evening on the way home from work. I filled the cells with the supplied acid to the top level mark and started a 2 amp charge with my Black & Decker Smart Charger I bought 3 years ago. After about 1 hour the charger full charge lamp came on. I said no way this should take 12-16 hours so I reset the charger and tried again. After 5 minutes the charger kicked out and showed full again. This time I replaced it with my heavy duty Napa charger and set it for 2 amps automatic. So far its still charging and some time tomorrow I should get a fully charged indication. I noticed over the winter months that Smart Charger would kick out and show a fault indication on a low battery in my scoots. I guess it's cooked.
  19. Hi Guys, I bought this '87 Royale to fix up lass may an d only got about half done before winter came. I want it for this season so I am tackling the body again. but... I went to take the battery out to get a new one. Last year I always had to put a charger on it to play with the carbs and such. Well, when I took it out, it was completely dry. So me thinks, maybe if I put acid in it may work, at least well enough to work on it, and if not I'll get a new one. So, I had an old car battery sitting here to take back to the store whenever I get a new battery. I drilled small holes in the bottom of each cell, one at a time and put the acid in a peanut butter jar and filled up each cell on the bike battery. I now have it on a 2 amp charger, to see what will happen. What do ya think, did I waste my time or could I save it? I have no idea how old it is , since it came with the bike. It says Powerline Y50-N8L-A on it D
  20. Ok,I received my Odyssey Battery and I have a Question. If I need to charge this battery in the future do I need a special battery charger? I keep reading on it and it says use a DRY CELL type battery charger? I am assuming the Odyssey is categorized as a DRY CELL Battery? Anyway any responses is greatly appreciated. Thanks,Tom
  21. I have a battery question. I had to purchase a new battery so I purchased a charger to make sure I had a good charge from the start. While I was getting the battery I had a mechanic tell me that it took approx 30 minutes of riding to recharge the battery from what it took to start the bike. I tend to ride some shoert distances because I use my bike as a primary mode of transportation. My question is this, is it bad to charge the battery frequently? If I were to plug the charger in weekly, or even nightly would it be bad for the battery or would it actually help? I don't know that much about it so I figured I'd ask the smartest group I know. Any help would be appreciated.
  22. Guest

Need a battery charger

Not for the bike....have a Black & Decker Firestorm 12v cordless drill and 2 batteries and the charger crapped out on me....anybody have one of those chargers they wanna part with? Any of the stores that sells them wants the same price as what you pay for a whole new drill!!
  23. Anyone have any experience with Sears brand Battery maintainer? I have one and in the last month have had to refill the battery twice. It seems to be charging, when in fact the battery is dead. New battery in May so that is not the problem. I'm inclined to think that I have a faulty charger and it is giving too much of a charge and boiling the water out of the battery. Any ideas before I head back to Sears?
  24. Ok, so some of ya'll probably remember I bought a '77 XS750 for $50 a month or so ago. I pulled the carbs off and cleaned 'em.. put 'em back together and figured I'd see if it'd turn over. I toss a charger on the battery and after a few hours go to take a look. I got lights to come on (neutral indicator and oil light) and when I hit the starter it clicked. I pulled the charger off and checked the battery.. bone dry... Not surprising as it sat for 3 years before I got hold of it. So I bought a new battery. Installed it and now I'm getting absolutely nothing. No lights, no pleasing click... nothing. I checked the fuses and none of them appear to be blown. I cleaned the connectors on the wires to the battery... I've poured through my shop manual.. I can't find anything. Any ideas?