Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. My first gen starts every time quick but cranks slow like a bad battery. Battery checks good, cables are clean. Is there a common problem to look at first? Battery is not new.
  2. Is there an adaptor for converting the 5-pin audio connector (on gas tank of my 2008 RSV) to a common 1/8" mini-jack for plugging in a set of common earphones? Thank you.
  3. I removed the nut that holds the upper handlebar in place and machined a nifty little stub fom a piece of 303 stainless to go back in its place. 10x1mm are the threads on that nut and curiously enough that is not a common metric fastener but I did have a tap. After screwing it on in place of the nut I wished I had made it longer but I can always make another to go on the other side.
  4. I am a first time venture owner. I just bought an 87 venture royale. I absolutely love it so far. I thought this site was very cool when I found it. Its great to be a part of this. Now, down to business, I hope you guys can help me. My bike needs some work before I can get it out for a few rides before snow flies. The air compressor has a bad solenoid. The rear shock won't fill up. Is this repairable? The temp gauge on the dash is not working, it stays at cold. Any common problems? Where is the sensor? What I believe is the low brake fluid in the front master cylinder warning light is on. The front is full. Common problems, where's the sensor? No glass in the rear. How full do I fill the rear? And not so pressing, I'm going to remove the cassette player, I will be putting in a mp3 jack, but I'm looking for more ideas of what to do with that space. Any information would be great, thank you
  5. Went out to start the RSV tonight for the first time in about 3 weeks and the battery was almost dead. I put the charger on for about 30 minutes and was able to start up. The battery is only 6 months old. The bike is a 2010. Is this common for the RSV?
  6. I have an 05 tour deluxe,wondering what is most common cause of cruise control failure?
  7. Common Sense for Sale Order an extra for your closest friend! I got yours Boomer!
  8. Having problems i have a 96 royal star transmission is stuck in second gear checked linkage no problems there. Is this a common problem thanks for any help.
  9. SilvrT

R.I.P.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:-Knowing when to come in out of the rain; - Why the early bird gets the worm;- Life isn't always fair; - And maybe it was ...my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies, don't spend more than you can earn and adults, not children, are in charge. His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion. Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault. Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement. Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility, and his son, Reason. He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights,I Want It Now,Someone Else Is To Blame,I'm A Victim.Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, do nothing.
  10. I'm looking to tap in to your experience so that I get started in the right direction. My 86 VR rear shock stopped holding pressure this past weekend. It will pump up to whatever I select but if I immediately go back and check the pressure, the LCD says 0 pounds at which point it will pump up again. The only air I hear leaking when I do this is the bleed off valve at the end of the compressor cycle. I did some research here and it looks like the rear shock is the place to start or are there other common failures that should be checked first. Is there a trick to getting to the components on the rear shock or am I in for some serious disassembly? Thank you for the help, Ray
  11. Sailor

Carbs

When cleaning my 02 I noticed a lot of small cracks in the rubber elbow from the carbs to the engine. I don't think any go through the rubber....yet. Is this common and is it likely to give me grief anytime soon?
  12. I read some articles on the Ventures having this issue. Is this something thats common? I may have second thoughts on purchasing the 07 Im looking at.
  13. How common is the 10mm X 1.0 thread on most metric bikes? I think, without checking my manuals that is the proper thread for the spark plugs on our and a lot of others right? Some are on the forks if I remember right also. Looking at something but want to check on how much it might get used. Mike
  14. An Obituary printed in the London Times Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: - Knowing when to come in out of the rain; - Why the early bird gets the worm; - Life isn't always fair; - and maybe it was my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion. Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault. Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement. Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason. He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights I Want It Now Someone Else Is To Blame I'm A Victim Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing?
  15. This started today, not sure if it's weather related or not.. muggy, a wee sprinkling of rain on the bike today. Whilst riding the bike, I use the up/down buttons to go through the preselected channels.. all worked fine until today when it started to be non-responsive.. It wouldn't change channels at all.. But after a few mins it would work ok. When to problem occurs, the "band" number (upper left FM1, FM2 etc) would show as normal but the channel number (lower left) doesn't appear, just the channel itself.. Is this a common problem with a common fix?? Cheers
  16. I have the common chirp, now I have a new sound at or above 70 it sounds like an old ford truck rear noise or a cement mixer . The dealer said it was the rear greased and realigned shafts. Noise a bit better but still there it actually sounds as if it from the front but hard to tell. On a curve when leaning it is louder . Can anyone provide any suggestions, is this common and is it safe ? 2006 rstd with 9000 miles . Thanks for any info you can provide.
  17. Next Friday 10/29/10 RandyR is coming down to help me do a Valve shim check and change job and carb sync on my 87 1st gen. A couple of members that knew this was coming up expressed an interest in coming over to watch the process for these two common maintenance functions on these motors. To do these functions and other things I have planned, the bike will pretty much have it's skin stripped off and will be down to a running chassis stage. This stage of access will be conducive to talking about, explaining and showing other common problems and fixes for the 1st gen MK2 XVZ1300 platform. Well next Friday is the day. Randy will arrive at my house around 10:00 AM-ish and we will spend the day turning wrenches and talking mechanical stuff. We picked this Friday because it was the first date where I could get off work and coordinate with Randy's schedule. Even though it is a week day, All that are able, interested and willing to show up are welcome to come. I have set up a nice work area under cover in the backyard and there will be a cooler with beverages iced down near-by. If you think you can come PM me and I will give you address and directions. If there is any interest I'll make arrangements to have some meat on the grill to feed you as well.
  18. Hi Guys, I love my venture but I'm looking at a 85 1200 goldwing. Can anyone give me some tips of things to be concerned about? I know every bike has it's own set of common problems....some of which can get very expensive ! Thanks John
  19. Hi, I am new to the board and would like to get a heads up to common problems with the RSV. Thanks in advance for any warnings and advise!
  20. Looking for information if anyone else has ever had a issue with cruise not canceling when tapping front brake? I had found one post about this 2 years old so must not be a common problem?
  21. This is one of many reasons I ride a venture. I'm sure we've all noticed post that are "Venture Sightings" and I like them. Yea we talk about we wish Yamaha would do more to promote the Venture and update it and there is alot of validity to those comments but at the same time, if they were as common as HD & GW I probably wouldn't be riding one. That's just my style. I'll bet you don't see post on the HD & GW sites of ____ Sighting! Throw that in with the other compliments that I find about my Venture and I like my bike even more. No bashing here, just an observation.
  22. My friend has a 1100 vstar and is looking into blocking off the AIS. It has Cobra exhaust on it but nothing else has been done to it. He says it cracks and pops which I would guess may be common when changing to aftermarket exhaust with less back pressure. Is anyone familiar on the procedure to block the AIS off ? Thanks
  23. More specifically blocked arteries? Recently I been told I have "mild" blockage in my lower heart. I don't know what mild means. But I been wondering, what percentage of North American men aged 50 or older walking into a doctors office "wouldn't" have some blockage. In other words would you think it might be common considering our life style in the later 50 yrs? Sure some won't...but over all? Just wondering!!!
  24. I do not yet own this bike but I am looking at buying it. In the "known problems" thread, there is this: Stators. Early models suffered from stator failure due to over heating. Later models incorporated an oil cooling system. What years? On a 80's honda goldwings, you have to drop the engine or put on an external alternator kit which costs $600 and robs you of 6 m.p.g. It is so common of a problem, I don't want to own one. I'm going to South Mexico, and I do not want to face this problem. So. What years, and what is the fix? Do you need larger stators to take care of accessory lights and gadjets? Should I not add them? Is there anything else I need to look at closely on this bike?
  25. Well, you have to come to a stop and wait a cycle or two but it's good to know that common practice has become legal. http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-run-red-lights-bikes-081309,0,6130460.story