Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. Hello all, I have made a few posts and as a few who have read them might know I am new to the venture following. I am strongly mechanically inclined and am attempting a budget rebuild of a 1985 Venture royal from bare frame up. I am asking in this thread all of you for any suggestions, opinions, and or thoughts of what you might change or upgrade on your first generation ventures if you have the opportunity to do it your way. Having never rode one before I am not able to judge this myself so I ask those that know these bike better than I. My bike is torn down and I have cleaned it up and fresh paint and now starting the rebuild. I am painting the bike synergy green from the 2010 camaro ss and blacking out what I can but trying to allow it to be still tasteful. I have taken the advice of a well respected member and am upgrading my transmission to the second generation gear and fork set as well as using a vmax final drive to give me the gear range I desire. I am on a budget and will be using what is good and rebuilding or replacing what needs work but am not afraid to spend where needed. I am open to all suggestions whether a large job or not, and I will be really paying attention to items that are repeatedly mentioned. Everything from cosmetic to fit and function will be considered. Please have at it and do not hold back, basically a resurrected gen 1 built venturerider.org style. Thanks to all who contribute and I will collect pics during the process and post them in a thread at a later date.
  2. I went to Costco, and was looking at big screen tvs- thought I could buy one with the insurance money I got from the Yamaha. Then I thought, I could die of an embolism in front of that thing watching other people have fun, so against the advice of (some) family and friends, I have resolved to use that money to rebuild the Yamaha RSV from the frame up! The new (to me) frame arrived today. I am stripping the old frame of everything not broken, and buying used to replace what was to keep the costs down. Hopefully I will heal before the bike does My question is- in the wreck, the left rear mounting lug for the engine stay was broken off, but the forward one is ok. How important are the engine stays and can I get by without changing the head? Will only one lug on the left be ok?
  3. I've a different take to adding a trunk to the RSTD that I was wondering if anybody has tried..... I'd like to use the removeable backrest for the attachement point and fabricate/add a Venture Royal trunk frame to that to create a one piece set-up the would mount the trunk. This way when I don't want or need the trunk I could put the standard back rest in - obviously, I'd need to purchase an extra back rest unit but It would be worth it for the ease of change over. I've seen the trunck frames on ebay for about 200 and I figured a good welding shop could fabricate/join this to the back rest frame. My only concern is if the mounts where the slide-in std. backrest fits are strong enough for the additional weight of the trunk assemby.... Any ideas or experience trying to do this? Thanks!
  4. Have made a little progress this week with winter project. Made a stand that will be used to temporarily support frame during initial motor fitment and suspension work. It's not pretty but will only be used for this phase.. I have an old 1200 block setting in frame at this point to see where major obstacles will be in putting a 1st gen/VMax motor into the RSV frame. Motor fits the six mount points that the 1st gen uses in the 2003 RSV frame. The front head brackets will not be used. I have a set of VMax heads for this project that will be on a modified 1300 block. I don't think a v-boost system will be possible with this setup due to the use of the RSV fuel tank & air intake components. I don't think the taller V-boost setup has a chance of fitting. Considering another option to use in place of the V-boost for that snap at about 6k rpm's. Rear exhaust down tubes look to be usable with very little modification. Front down tubes are going to be a challenge. The front motor mount bracket will need some modification to allow the front tubes to pass bracket. Seriously considering using a 1st gen MKII front end I have intsead of the RSV front end. The RSV unit is massive compared to a 1st gen unit. I don't have the wheels for the RSV, so I want to use a set of VMax wheels on this. The fork spread is over an inch wider than the 1st gen which would make the use of the VMax wheels improbable. I have tried the 1st gen triple tree in the RSV frame and it matches what is needed. I like the styling of the RSV fender more than the 1st gen, but It may not get used. I think I can mount the RSV handlebars & controls on the 1st gen upper tree bracket with minimal modification. I will have to set tank on frame to see if there will be a clearance issue with this change. Bike will be a single seater with no fairing, saddle bags etc. Minimal instrumentation, no radio. Looking at a VMax instrument pod & speedometer. Have a VMax final drive for it. Gary
  5. Consider the following please. Instead of buying the full HF trailer with car topper kit for $399 with the 8 in wheels, How about the HF small utility trailer #90153 frame with the 12 in wheels. And one of the hundred or so used car toppers sold on craigslist? They are averaging 50 to 100 bucks. Different shapes sizes and colors to choose from. Saving a bit of coin and getting something a little more customized. I plan on adding a plywood floor to mine first so I can remove the topper and use it to haul other things. (and with our car too). My only question for the crowd out there that already have the HF kit trailer #66771, How are they attaching the car topper to the frame? Dave
  6. Yesterday I tore down my '83 frankenbike with the '86 engine. I just need finish by dis-assembling the front end and pull the engine to get the solid engine mounts so I can sell them. It looks pretty interesting on the center-stand with just the triple tree down intact attached to just the main frame with engine - that's all that's left intact (I pulled everything off of the frame including sub-frames & wiring harness.) And then the engine looks funny since I pulled the performance clutch, slightly used water pump assy, aftermarket high output stator assy, like new '83 carbs (new diaphragms & floats), ingnition coils,etc., & Vboost plenum with manual linkage off the engine. I want to know if there is any interest, meaning anyone having '83-'85 2nd gear problems that would be interested in the good tranny parts out of this '86 engine. I thought I would crack the case and pull any or all tranny parts if someone wanted to buy them. Otherwise I won't waste my time and the whole engine will go to the metal salvage yard along with parts that I don't think will sell, such as the main frame, probably some chrome handle/ crash-bar parts, etc. Please PM me or email me. Thanks, Doug
  7. I started that thread a while back on "The things you find" and it just kept going the farther I got into the New/Used HF Tag-Along I bought a while back. The PO had to be one creative bugger to get the kit as far as he did. But then he did get rid of it before going anywhere and I got a pretty good idea of why he did now. The wiring..... geesh! I think he used a drill and razor wire to fish the harness through the frame. I couldn't go 2 feet of wire without finding a chewed up or broken wire patched with ScotchLocks with the bare ends hanging out inside the frame. In the end I had to replace the entire trailer harness and considering the mods to the taillight housings he did, I broke down and bought the HF LED kit and installed it. At least the LEO's won't be shaking my tree for a license plate light being out. That sucker lights up with the LED's. But after installing the new harness, shielded with harness wrap, and soldering and shrink wrapping every connection from the 5/4 converter all the way to the tail lights I'm sure it will serve me well for quite a while. Still need to tuck in some rubber grommets where the harness goes through the frame but that's a quick fix. Got the 5/4 wire converter tucked in by the frame under the seat. Piece of cake hooking that up. I hooked the side markers and rear tails to the marker lights on my switch panel. That way I can kick the lights on all the way around without the key in the bike. Had one moment there where I was ready to panic because the four ways weren't working until I remembered I hadn't hooked up the brake light wire yet. Whew! I don't like loose wires on my bike so I added a plug holder on the rear light bar for easy access. Nice clean connection. I got the rubber hose installed on the rear spring bolts. New zerks are in. Coupler has been bent back to the original shape and washers installed. One handed hookup now. Siliconed in the frame plugs, or at least three of them. Missing one so that search is on. Cleaned off the Vaseline that HF uses off the wheel bearings and packed them with High Temp and set the bearings. Got my Nebraska trailer plate mounted. Note the size of that thing. I never noticed the bike plates here before but that sucker is gonna cause some serious drag. Suppose I should mount another plate on the other side so it don't lean. Going to make some mini mudflaps for the trailer tires. Need somewhere to mount some of those lil chrome nekked ladies. Well, looking at that pic maybe I won't need mudflaps with that big ol plate hanging there. My friend (The Piper) that pinstriped my helmet last year stopped by and was eyeballing the trailer. I know what he's thinking......He was grinning. So I miss anything? I'm going to have to go out and drag it around now and check out. Looks like it's gonna rain. Guess I'll find out how water proof it is. Mike
  8. My winter project is going to be building a bobber style venture, with Tweety power, maybe more. Probably be a multiple year process, like Tweety has been. I have most of motor components already, VMax heads, final drive & most of Vboost. 1300 block. I am interested if a 1st gen block will fit in a 2nd gen frame. I don't care about the head bracing, I will compensate for loss of that structure somehow. I like the single frame tube from the neck back style. It would allow me to use a standard tank on bike. Also like the appearance of the rear fender for the Indian look I am after. I am not after a chopper style, but more along a retro look. Single seater with old style sprung seat for one. I want to stay with mono shock set up for better handling. I have two 1st gen bare frames here, but I am not warm & fuzzy with what I would need to do to modify one to get what I am after. Gary
  9. I wouldn't post it IF i haven't tried it on traffic lights that i know I have never been able to trip on my bike. What did i do? I went to HOBBY LOBBY and bought a pack of magnets 30 for $6.99 about the size of your thumbnail & placed them all under the frame. I placed them on any flat surface 4 or 5 in a row from the bottom foot boards , frame, hitch all under the bike...So today i ride to town and hit the traffic lights that I have run in past after having to sit there for 3-5 minutes. Today all 3 changed with in 2 minutes...All I know is lights that didn't b4 did today....
  10. Ok, this is dumb, but on the 83 Venture there is a part of the frame that goes from right under the seat in front of the master brake cylinder to the forward part of the frame, the side covers attach to this peice. Now I am putting it back together and I know where to mount the rear portion, but cannot for the life figure out where the front was mounted......I have taken it off several time in the past, but for the life of me I cannot remember where it connects, it reaches the front motor mount but the hole isnt big enough for the bolt to go thru...........can anyone supply a picture of their 83 with the sidecover off so I can see where it goes..............I took some picture but not of this................:bang head:
  11. So I finally was able to connect with the owner of the bike junkyard and finalize the deal for the 2 MK1 carcasses he had rotting away in his yard. Got a big surprise though.. I had been wanting to buy the blonde and a frame that had the motor and rear drive train but not much more. When the owner directed an employee to help me " load the two Ventures" we walked out to the yard. I went looking for the frame as they had cleaned up and moved things around. The employee pointed to the gold one and said that one and this one... I was still looking ion the other direction for the frame. When I said " they moved it ... I can't find it.." He said "it's right there..." He was pointing to a different Venture with a lot more parts on it. I hadn't seen that one before. He said " that's the two the boss said to load" . So, I got both. A better deal than what I thought I had. The first picture is the frame I thought I was getting... the purple bike is what I got. Here are the pictures:
  12. ON my RSTD do I need to remove the rear wheel in order to remove the rear fender??? I'm all the way to the point of pulling it off - its completely loose - but these two mounts pictured under the frame where the seat attaches don't seem to allow enough room to lift the fender free. Help would be great.
  13. Well with a little help from a co-worker and new VR member, K-Rider, we finally got the motor out of the frame on my 83, and the write up in the tech section was a big help. After we got it out sprayed the lower frame and the motor with de-greaser used the pressure washer to get all that 29 year old grease of the frame and motor, I couldnt believe how much grease had built up on the parts of the engine I couldnt see..........it will make disassemble of the motor a not so dirty job.
  14. Trying to salvage an 83 that has been traded a couple of times and title lost. This is Tennessee and they want a title to register bike. Anybody got a clear title on a bike that is being parted out and would sell the frame and title, or at least the removable lower frame bar and a title? VIN number has been checked and it is clean, but the person that is on the title can not be found. It has probably been several years since this bike has been on the road. Already looked at the re-title companies and they want $300 to 400 bucks. RandyA
  15. I have an 83 Venture with a second gear problem that I bought really cheap to fix and restore. The problem is I do not have a title for it. The VIN is clean but I don't know who the last legal owner was since the bike has changed hands a few times with no title. With today's privacy laws, I have no way to find out either and my state will not allow me to title it without the "owner" signing over the title. So I'm am considering is it worth buying a bare frame with good clean title and swapping EVERYTHING to a new frame? Since I'll have the bike torn down anyway to fix the trans. Obviously the 83-85 is essentially the same bike. How about the later 87 model 1300? Are the frames the same? All said and done, I think I can fix the trans and new frame and end up with about $1000 invested. Worth it?
  16. Got a busted 87 that I am gonna turn into a chopper. What will it take to have the bike run well with no airbox at all? The mods to the frame are not going to allow for the airbox to be used.
  17. Though I am not officially listing my bike yet, the plan is to get a newer bike in the next couple of months if Murphy doesn't come calling. You'll have to wait till I make a final decision on what it will be before I'll share my choice. However that means I'd be selling my blond '83 Royale, almost new tires, delinked brakes with stainless lines, super brace, highway pegs and or boards, running boards front and back, upgraded R/R, all running and brake tail light converted to LED, H9 head light, new battery, new tires, most all venture line chrome and accessories (I think), about 47K miles. Butt Butler. Cassette deck works! I have some miscellaneous new OEM parts as well including a stator. No issues with second gear or frame. If you are or know of someone who might be interested give me a shout, I'm tentativelly shooting for a 2-3 month time frame, Unless you want to give me some astronomical amount of money, then it'd be sold yesterday . 'Cause I may do that anyway with the right (and fair) amount.
  18. Before my long trip in april, i am considering replacing my rear shock. Has anyone done this? Do they make a good aftermarket shock. I dont really need an adjustable one, just something that i know wont fail during my long trip. (i started reading about the broken frame issue, and think a new shock might help, since my frame doesnt have a rust issue.). Is there a way to see if my shock is working properly? In the past i have increased the air pressure in the rear shock, just to see it go back to its original pressure and height days later. My bike is not a Royale. I just want some imput, because i know that these are very pricey.
  19. I've been watching Craigslist off and on to see what pops up for a Motorcycle Work/lift Table. I get a lot of listings for plane ol' MC Jacks when searching. It got me to thinking.... again.. Why do manufactures of quote 'MC Jacks' make them where they all need an adapter to fit the frame of a bike. Why can't they just build the jack with adjustable frame pads, especially if they're going to label them MC Jacks?? Maybe they should call them NOT MC Jacks??
  20. I've recently purchased a 99 RSV and had to replace the main wiring harness. Well, I've been successful at that job, but when I took the fuel tank off the right front bolt that mounts the tank to the frame had been broken off by the former owner. I managed to get the broken bolt out of the frame. But, when I bought a replacement bolt and tightened the tank back on, my bolt also broke before it was tightened on the tank. So, the threads inside the frame are obviously royally screwed up. Any insight into whether this is a replaceable piece or will I need to re-thread the existing mount? If replaceable, any idea what the part number would be and/or where I would find it? Thanks! - Michael
  21. Well I finally finished phase 1 of my tranny swap. A couple of weeks ago Jamie aka Wingman came over and helped me remove the engine from the frame, everything was already removed, all I had was the engine and frame. I really owe MasterGuns a big thank you for donating the 86 for the cause........THANKS GUNNY. After we got it up on the bench, we called it a day and today I finally got around to cracking the cases and looking inside the case. Everything looks really good to me but Im no expert but all the teeth look good and no wear showing. Next week I will move the 83 out to my shop and start disassembling it, That should take me a day or so, I need to be careful with it because it was just painted last year and dont want to mess that up. I was glad to have the 86 to go to school on, it will make it much easier to do the 83 when I get around to it. I did notice some changes to the 86 clutch that were made since 83. I was hoping to use the clutch plates on mine but may not be able to. [ATTACH]58138[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]58139[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]58140[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]58141[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]58142[/ATTACH]
  22. I know this is probably not the right forum, but I wanted to make sure it was seen by many members. So after 17 years of dragging my knees on sportbikes, sometimes on the roads, mostly road-racing, I've decided to trade in my one-piece leathers for a nylon and mesh armored jacket and jeans. I'm ready to stop laying my chin on the tank with my butt in the air, and to start leaning back and enjoying the scenery. On that note, yesterday I purchased a 1985 basket case Venture for less than $1G. It only has 32K km (about 20K miles), though I'm unsure if the second gear problem has been addressed. I've done some work on my bikes over the years, but nothing like the project I'm now addressing. My neighbour is going to help me, we plan on stripping the bike to the frame and rebuilding from there. Being a former racer, I already have one mod in mind - the Vmax heads, cams, and valve train. You can bet I will be posting numerous questions. Any suggestions for brake upgrades? I've read some have used the R1 setup. Suspension? Anyway, photos to be posted soon and wish me luck!
  23. While pulling & greasing the steering head bearings, I found a small (3/16) hole leading to the upper frame member. Can anyone think of a good reason not to plug this hole. The thought is to put a zerk fitting on the side of the head and be done with pulling this bugger apart to grease the bearings. I think the hole is there to releave pressure while assembling the frame. Since the frame is complete - plug the hole.
  24. A friend of mine posted this: "I'm looking for a frame and triple tree, preferably from a big goldwing. A friend is making a kick-ass trike and needs it for the front end. He will take a whole bike or just frame and tree." If anyone could help please post here or PM me. Thank you in advance.
  25. I can't find a part number for a part. I took the tank off my bike. On the left side there is a black cover that attaches to the neck of the frame. Does anyone know the description and part number? I need the screw that holds this part on the bike. Thanks,