Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. I know oils have been discussed before but based on a couple locally available oils and an '09 Venture, which one would you use? I know a couple are automotive oils but some people say they are okay to use. Our local Canadian Tire has : - Rotella - don't remember the description but think it was 15w-40 - Castrol GTX 10W-40 (anti-sludge formula) http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915464&contentId=6003410 - Quaker State 10w-40 SAE Peak Performance (Advanced Durability) http://www.quakerstate.com/#/motor-oil/advanced-durability - Motomaster Formula 1 10w-40 (premium 4 stroke) - $5/litre - Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40 - $17/litre (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx#FAQs2) Amsoil Synthetic motorcycle oil - 10w-40 - $20/litre (http://www.syntheticoildealer.com/royle/dyno.htm
  2. I had to disassemble (again) the carbs off of this doggone 83 I have been messing with. Upon reassembly I found I am now missing the idle mixture screw. It was there when I took the carb apart, but have somehow lost it. I have the small spring but not the needle itself. I just spent about 2 hours looking all of the garage for this needle but with no luck. My reason for posting is to find out if anyone knows where one can be purchased. I just checked a couple websites and I don't even see this carb part listed. Or, if anyone has not they are willing to sell, I would be more than happy to buy it from you. I appreciate any help I can get with this matter. Thanks
  3. Yesterday when we got up it was about 10 below zero here. It is warmer today...actually zero right now and is supposed to climb to a balmy 12 degrees F today. Actually staying fairly warm on the sleds but took the time yesterday to drive into Hayward and picked up a couple of facemasks. Also picked up a couple of very nice RibEyes. It's a tough life here but somebody has to do it.
  4. The wife and I are headed for San Antonio in March for a couple days and then to the Texas Hill country for 3/4 days for some riding then over to Austin for a couple days. Any suggestions of things to see and do in Austin and must roads to ride in the Hill Country area? Have friends in San Anton to help there. Thanks Rick & Shirley
  5. Just did the clutch skydoc clutch upgrade. eliminated the slippage but now is hard shifting. i know the single and double notches line up....not sure about if they are in reference to the basket. was unclear about that. any opinions??? also a couple of times it killed when put into gear from neutral. like when you put the kickstand down when its in gear with clutch in.
  6. I posted this site before the crash of '06. This will get you to the home page and from there, you can search state by state. http://www.byways.org/ I hope to do the Mississippi River ride sometime in the next couple of years. Maybe in sections. But for now, it's Ft. Collins or bust.
  7. Hi guys, I have a couple of friends that have picked up the Venture. So... in the follow the pack mentality.. I'm selling a couple of bikes to a friend and looking for a used Venture. I have my eye on an 89 with 65K miles. Owner says it was serviced 2K ago. Question: What should I look for, or be aware of regarding a Venture of this year/mileage ? Any unique issues/repairs etc ? I know every bike has it's own issues. I appreciate any input. Bill
  8. I wanted to add a couple of new switches, but I wanted the switches to be accessible by my thumb without moving my hand. Two push button switches. 1) for my Walmart special 55 watt really small lights that I hooked to the mirror brackets. This to get the attention of whom ever I feel the need to see me. Its a push switch. Push it, it is on. Let it go, it is off. 2) I plan on adding on a couple of rear white LEDS, with same kind of switch.
  9. I've been sitting back watching all the info over the proposed weapons bans over the last few weeks. Won't even go there. No desire or need to. Don't intend to either. So please keep with my theme. But I ran across this listing this morning on eBay and it cracked me up. It's nice to see someone still is keepinng a sense of humor during all this. Found it a little late to post the link but made a couple .pdf files of it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Assault-Rock-from-CroMagnum-Arms-International-CAI-/261153926569?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=8aRuiXd0wPHlQiprQbVkPlE1YQk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc The questions posted at the bottom of the listing were the best. Some people can still laugh about all this. The seller even has a Assault Spork listed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261153740945?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Mike
  10. I think I remember there is a way to set the default options that appear checked below a PM message. There are a couple of options I normally un-check but sometimes forget to do which is kind of annoying.
  11. Started the morning with one of my horses standing out in the yard at 4:30 this morning so get dressed and put her in with the others,and its below zero outside so I am wide awake now so much for sleeping in. Then no cold water got that going and the drain pluged up got the plunger give it a couple of good plunges the pipe came apart coffee grounds and water all over the floor, had to talk with Sharon about the coffee grounds, Then I got to chat with a couple of good friends and now I have a big pot of Venison stew cooking away on the wood stove and does it ever smell good. Starting to feel like the start of a good year. Happy New Year Orlin
  12. Looks like there is a company on the west edge that is taking advantage of the firearms craze. They are taking orders, taking the money, and not shipping anything!! Looks like I am getting taken for $133.00. Internet search shows other folks recently complaining. I will give them the 10 days they show on their website for shipping any out of stock items. Then I guess off to the credit card company. Lets hope they are just backlogged. Because it looks like they have sold firearms to a few people and not delivered!! Please be careful folks, I made a couple checks before ordering but did not go deep enough. They had magazines advertised for a couple of my pistols at a good price. Supposedly they have a brick and mortar store here: Personal Choice Outfitters International 25560 W US Highway 85 Buckeye, AZ 85326-5282 Local:(623) 386-7261 JB
  13. Thanks to my company downsizing, effective last week, 10/31 I officially joined the ranks of the retired. I always wondered how you knew when you had saved enough to retire. Now I know. At first I was a little pissed but after it set in and I ran through all of the numbers I realized I was ready to retire and should. I've not worked for the last couple of months and I'm really getting used to the time off. I've been catching up on a few household chores and taking a few weekday rides. I'll probably soon get bored enough that I'll get into something a couple of days a week. It's sure nice not to have to worry about solving problems every day. If I can offer a word of advice to those of you still working, SAVE! Dennis
  14. If this has been asked already, I'm sorry. I searched and didn't run across this particular question. I have an 84 VXVZ12, and after a year of working on the bike it's running pretty well. The problem is that I can sync the carbs and it will purr like a kitten, but after a couple days of spirited riding it's running a little bit rough. Not enough to suspect anything new, so I just sync it again. Then the cycle repeats. Any ideas why? Anyone else have this issue?
  15. Seems like there are ALOT of carb issue threads, so I may as well add one more. I've been wrking on my 83 which supposedly ran just fine a couple of years ago. I saved the bike from the scrap yard due to transmission issues. I upgraded to a 1300 trans and now trying to get the bike running. The carbs ended up being really really dirty, after going thru them a couple of times, the bike runs now, but I'm having an issue with a bad delay when I give it throttle coming off of idle, and then a very slow drop from 2500 rpm back down to idle. The carbs are really nice and clean inside, every passage seems very clear now. I did not mess with float levels, nor did I check them. I have sync'd the carbs using a carb stick and that went well. I did not replace anything, not even the diaphraghms because they look to be in excellent condition. The slides all dance about the same when the bike is running. No vacuum leaks at all that I can find. I've sprayed starting fluid around the intake boots and bottoms of the carbs and no leaks. Any ideas of what to look for next?
  16. Drafting Guys Over 60 This is funny & obviously written by a Former Soldier... New Direction for any war: Send Service Vets over 60! http://us.mg205.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f243996%5fAMHVimIAAREoUIVdsgpndxDcSn0&pid=1.2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=YahooMailRC I am over 60 and the Armed Forces thinks I'm too old to track down terrorists. You can't be older than 42 to join the military. They've got the whole thing ass-backwards. Instead of sending 18-year olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35. For starters, researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds. Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a day, leaving us more than 28,000 additional seconds per day to concentrate on the enemy. Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. 'My back hurts! I can't sleep, I'm tired and hungry.' We are impatient and maybe letting us kill some ******* that desperately deserves it will make us feel better and shut us up for awhile.. An 18-year-old doesn't even like to get up before 10am. Old guys always get up early to pee, so what the hell. Besides, like I said, I'm tired and can't sleep and since I'm already up, I may as well be up killing some fanatical s.o.b. If captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser. Boot camp would be easier for old guys.. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we're used to soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We've been using them for years as an excuse to get out of the house, away from the screaming and yelling. They could lighten up on the obstacle course however... I've been in combat and never saw a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any pushups after completing basic training. Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy, too... I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet. An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to start a conversation with a pretty girl. He still hasn't figured out that a baseball cap has a brim to shade his eyes, not the back of his head. These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way. Let us old guys track down those dirty rotten coward terrorists. The last thing an enemy would want to see is a couple million pissed off old farts with attitudes and automatic weapons, who know that their best years are already behind them. HEY!! How about recruiting Women over 50...in menopause!!! You think MEN have attitudes?? Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my God!!! If nothing else, put them on border patrol. They'll have it secured the first night! Send this to all of your senior friends...it's in big type so they can read it.
  17. Today I went by the Katy Yamaha Dealership. If anyone that is interested that lives close by, they are having Demo Day tomorrow13. 8-5 I beleive. Hot Dogs and Drinks. They have 8 or so Trikes there. Haleys, Victory, Stratliner, Goldwing and a couple of others that you can drive. Just thought to let all Houstonians know. Hal
  18. I just wanted to say hello let everybody know I'm back For those of you who know Charlie e-fishin-c he is doing great I went and visited on the on the 14th for a for a week we had a great time at the fishing camp and I'll post a couple pic's when I can get them from my camera to my phone Dray
  19. Charlene had her first ride on our trike, she thoroughly enjoyed it, said she was comfortable on it, and felt more at ease knowing I wouldnt have to support the bike with both of us on it. I think she will be riding a lot more with me now that there are three wheels under us. We did about a 20 mile loop around town, some country roads and just had a nice slow ride. This weekend I will be bleeding and flushing the clutch, noticed a couple of difficult down shifts and had some difficult finding neutral a couple of times. I opened the resevior for the clutch and the fluid was murky brown...........gotta take care of that. All and all she is very happy about the trike and that makes me extremely happy:dancefool:!
  20. Hi, 2005 Venture, picked up in March this year, advertised as needing a shock, and nearing 100k miles, but at a good price. Talked to the guy on the phone, big guy...maybe twice my size, so I figure maybe it's still rideable at my weight of 160. Sure enough, it appeared the shock was blown as even with me on it it rode like a '73 Buick with eight of your buddies in the seats and the rest in the trunk headed for the $2 a car drive-in. And the bottom of the shock had some semi wet residue on it. After reading a bunch of threads about shocks I recalled having read something about tilting the bike and allowing fluid to run out of the shock to quiet a 'groaning' seal. Well when I bought the bike I was told it had been laid down on the highway in traffic a couple years earlier, don't know how long it was laid over. So I got to thinking the other night...maybe most of the oil ran out of the shock. In haste without doing any digging as to what to put in it other than a note I had read about someone putting 20W shock oil and some Automatic Tranny fluid...I wound up with all I could find at a Pep Boys at 8pm...A quart of ATF. Figured I'd squirt an ounce or two into the shock, see how bad it leaked and go from there. It took the first couple and there was a noticeable 'feel' of a difference bouncing up and down while in the driveway. So I fed it a couple more shots, even better! Couple more and there was a real difference. All the time checking underneath expecting a puddle. Took it for a quick spin around the block and it was still a bit 'rocking horse' feeling if I tried to make it bounce. Had never checked the air in it, thinking if the oil leaked out how could it hold any air!? Put about 50# of air in it and it felt way to stiff, so I dropped it down to about 35#. That was Monday evening. Rode to work and back past couple of days, about 40 miles total, hitting every rough spot and little whoop ti do I normally avoid and not a single drop of oil has shown up under it. In addition to this my 'nose diving' at stops has been reduced by about 80% which is huge when you're short legged and that nose diving really screws up your stopping stability and confidence. I'll be putting some miles on it this weekend, going on a 600 mile round trip run to Vegas. So we'll see how it holds up. Any thoughts as to why it wouldn't be leaking now if it had in the past? Did the ATF just swell the seals and they'll rot away now? Should I take it off and drain it so I can get the correct measured amount of fluid put in? (Read somewhere, but only 1 post, that there's roughly 7.5 oz of fluid.) What is the proper fluid to put in it?
  21. I need to get new rear pads for my 08 venture what are the best ones and who or were is the best price? I have sent a couple of emails to cyclebrakes but havent heard back from them as of yet. Thanks
  22. Me and my sweetie were married 30 years ago today. I know...just a couple of rookies compared to some of you.
  23. Guest

Strange people...

Here I am minding my own business...attending to my summer vacation plans...traveling hither and yon in my cage...on this particular trip I'm wandering to the upper peninsula in the lovely state of Michigan when suddenly I happened upon this couple... However, stopping to interact with them (you know, save a damsel in distress) was a big mistake and just cost me a lot of grief... [ame=http://youtu.be/lV85Qqj1j_c]http://youtu.be/lV85Qqj1j_c[/ame]
  24. As usual this group never ceases to amaze me! It was soooo great to see all of you again and a few that I met for the first time! There isn't a single Venturerider I don't like!! Having been around a while I prety much knew everybody but of course there were a couple of new faces, either newer members or in the case of Angel, people I haven't seen in person for the first time. The downside, with so many friends it's hard to spend quality time with everybody. Wish we had more time!! Even though I already knew, I was still astounded with the open hearts of the Pioneer crew! They treat us sooo wonderful it is amazing! While we are on the subject, I was ho9nored to see the Venturerider crew in action doing what they always do, help out en mass whenever anybody has a problem! Angel's bike was not the only bike that had a problem, there were a couple of other minor incidents that received the royal treatment as well! You guys amaze me!! Besides all the dedicated work that the entire rally crew did I also want to give a special kudos to Wizard765 in helping out with the last minute prep work on the shower. Wayne has many talents and was a joy to work with! As a team we work exceptionally well together! I also want to thank all the volunteers on Thursday afternoon who worked in the rain to get the shower torn down and the materials returned to my place! The lumber is also for a project happening at my place, a new storage closet and a half bath off the kitchen. All I know is I am exhausted today partially physically and partially emotionally. Can't wait for the next event...
  25. Well, we had a couple of close calls with deer this spring, but one finally caught us tonight! We were on our way back from visiting our youngest daughter for her birthday up in Toronto when a doe jumped from behind the pillar of an overpass and landed in the grill of our car (Just 20 KM from home...DAMN!). My wife was quite upset (I wasn't exactly overjoyed either!) but as I told her ... we are OK and we weren't on the bike. I shudder to think what would have happened if we had centre punched that deer with the Venture. Here's what the car looked like. Now to see if they'll fix it and then hope it won't have a hidden problem showing up in a year or so! Damn - we were finally able to buy a decent car when my wife got a long term contract a couple of years ago. Thought we were set for our "retirement" vehicle. HA! No such luck! Oh well, as I said, we're alive and uninjured. We'll settle for that at this point. Andy