Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. Okay, I decided that it's time to upgrade my stock Stator to something which offers better performance. From what I have read, Buckeye's seems to be the preferred upgrade unit to install. Many people who are much more knowledgeable than I am regarding electricity, etc. have told me that I am probably over-taxing my stock stator, and that it would be wise to install a higher-output Stator. My question is . . . would it be reasonable to see if I can find a used Buckeye Stator to save a few bucks? Or, is this the type of thing which I shouldn't chance, and just purchase a brand new one? I want to make sure that this job is done right the first time. I also want to be assured that when I buy a new Stator, that I will have a higher performing unit than the stock one I have been using, and that I will be happy with my purchase and the upgrade difference. Thanks Guys & Be Safe! Pete.
  2. Hi everyone, just completed a 4k ride with the R1 upgrade, Vmax rotors, stainless lines and EBC HH pads. Wow, what a diff. However, I can really notice the limitations of the stock, front master cylinder when leaning on them. What's the upgrade for the master cylinder? Also, has anybody come up with a fork spring solution other than the progs? I just put them on before the trip (block off plates, AD's removed) and once most of the oil blew passed the seals, they mellowed a little. Still, I'm not liking them at all. Way too stiff. I look down at the forks and unless I really lean on them or hit a huge bump, they don't compress at all! I put progs on my 92' BMW K75 back in 2006 and had the exact same experience. I have no spacers installed for preload at all. I would think a two stage spring would be awesome. Perhaps cutting the progs down and adding something softer in the bottom? Has anybody come up with a better solution? Perhaps I don't have them dialed in correctly but even with no oil at all they're too stiff. I was using 10wt. Also, I'm sure it's not the weight of the bike. I had the bike and trailer fully laden weighed on our last night: Bike = 933lbs, trailer = 435lb. Tounge weight is around 20lbs. I'm 190 and my wife is 145. Still seemed incredibly rigid. Thanks everyone! Great forum!
  3. Hello fellow Venturers, I just purchased a 2018 Venture without the TC package. Has anyone successfully added the Navigation module without the "help" of a dealership? Thanks, Nick
  4. I would like for those of you who use the chat rooms to give me an evaluation of the two solutions that I have installed at this time. The old one is pretty slick and has some nice features but doesn't work from all devices. The new one isn't as slick but seems to work just as well and is easier to get into and out of I think. It will be your call. If you choose the new one called "Shoutbox" at the top of the page then I will update it to the pro version. That won't make it any slicker looking but will add a few features such as allowing you to detach and run it in a separate window, turn the notification sounds on or off, things like that. Like I said, it is your call. From a money stand point, it's not a big deal. I would have to pay for the pro version of the new one but I also pay a yearly hosting fee separately for the old one so for the short term at least, it's pretty much a wash. So lets hear it. What do you want? The other option is that I could keep both but not upgrade the new one to the pro version. Just leave it as it is. I really don't think that we need two chat rooms though.
  5. I was wondering if I should upgrade my stock stator in my 07 RSV. I am running the stock accessories, but I also run a gps and satellite radio. Now I am adding Gerbing heated gloves and jacket liner into the mix. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  6. So I got the kit from SkyDoc back in Novemeber, I followed the instructions and upgrade the half disc to a full disc, and used the new spring while putting it together. What a difference!!! For about a week!!! Several of you told me including Skydoc that I'd be doing it again soon. Well pulled the trigger and ordered the new discs, to go with the upgrade kit. I'll pull it all apart and put in the other 7 discs, Grumble grumble grumble.
  7. Good morning everyone, Since purchasing a non-running '92 VR back in January, I've gotten it running and have everything working on it except the back/left front brakes. I rebuilt the master cylinder and the rear brake caliper. It wouldn't bleed. I removed the line going to the front at the master cylinder and plugged the master cylinder with a flanged bolt. Back brakes bled out fine. I have intentions to de-link the rear and front brakes, but I want to get this thing fixed first. As I don't yet have the money to upgrade yet. As part of the de-link process, I've read on this site that many people are using YZF-R1 or R6 calipers, so I got a set of blue-star front calipers off an R6. $49 bucks on eBay with no shipping charge. Tested them on the bench and they looked like they were working. After installation, still couldn't bleed the brakes. I got a 65cc syringe and attached a piece of clear tubing to it and tried to pull brake fluid through the line that way. No love there, as the syringe would pull a vacuum but when I let go, it would just snap back. I felt like something was stopped up. I loosened the bleeder up by the handle bars and tried again, same result. I must be stopped up somewhere between the caliper and the top bleeder. Ok, so what now? I went out to the barn and tried the same thing on an '87 donor bike I have. I could pull air through its line just fine. So, I removed that brake line and installed it on my '92. Now when I use the syringe method of bleeding, I can pull brake fluid all the way from the rear master cylinder reservoir to the front left caliper. HOO! RAY! Finished bleeding the brakes and now I have a decent pedal and feel like I can do an upgrade from a clean baseline when the time comes (that translates to, when I get the money). If I hadn't already spent so much money on this bike, I would've already gotten the brake upgrade kit that Skydoc_17 sells and I will. Here's the link to his kit: http://www.venturerider.org/classifi...line-21&cat=22 I post this to help encourage others that it is possible to clean up a 20+ year old brake system. On bikes that have been sitting up for many years, a stopped up brake line might be preventing you from bleeding your brakes. Important: If you have an older bike (20+ years old), it would be in your best interest to replace as much of the old system as you can afford as stopping is so important and no one needs a surprise in an emergency on a high-powered 800 lb. bike. Let's go riding.
  8. I just put a Roadliner/Stratoliner 18" front wheel on my Venture. It looks awesome, and the low profile radial tire handles like a dream- rock solid and glued to the road. Handling response is much quicker. The rotors are also an upgrade, because they are full floaters. It is a perfect match, same size rotors and axle, bolted right up, din't have to change anything. I got the wheel tire and rotors off of ebay for $240 plus $50 shipping.
  9. Well yesterday I was finally feeling well enough to finish putting the R1 brake calipers with new pads on the 93 trike. At first it felt marginally better but not by much. I took it out for a test ride and after a few stops from varying speeds using the front brakes only (both sides) they starting getting better. By the time I got back home after about 20 miles I was able to cut down the stopping distance using front and rear by almost half of what it had before the change. Now as soon as I can save a few more dollars I will put the SS brake lines on, then see how much it improves. So far I only have $134.00 invested in this project.
  10. Hi all I'm new here to the site and looking to purchase a 2009 or later RSV. Im coming from a VTX but wanted more of a full dress tourer. I usually run in the winter heater jacket, pants, gloves, gps, and charge my phone. With the RSV in addition I wanted to get a heated seat and grips. From the readings on this site it seems to make that combination work I have to upgrade the stator and and R/R. My mechanical knowledge is limited to brakes and fluids so I would probably have to take the bike in to have this work done. My questions is are there any downfalls to have this done, will the dealers know how to install this R/R or will I have to take it to a different motorcycle mechanic and finally after this is done will I have any other problems associated to the upgrade with the bike. I see some people have gone through several stators but I'm not sure why they go through so many. Im very interested in the bike and appreciate any education you guys can provide on this Thanks Vince
  11. IM considering doing the VMAX rear upgrade. Those who have already done it, are you happy with the results?
  12. I was Messing with my project car when something inside my head clicked. My bike is still disassembled and I ran into the house all greasy to grab my headlight housing and run back to the garage... I am upgrading my Fiero GT from using a single ugly 80's headlight to dual Hella projector headlights. Guess what, they will fit in the Venture's opening and I believe there is enough depth for them to fit completely. Problem is, this will delay my getting the bike on the road so I am looking at another option.... Does anyone have a front headlight assembly they are willing to sell cheap, give or loan to me so I can have a metal bracket designed to upgrade our 1gen headlights? I have a machine shop at my disposal as well as a laser cutter to design a bracket that can slip into the existing assembly and hold the two Hella modules. I can get them set apart side by side just enough to fit in the rubber mounting ring. I have seen these lights in action and they would make a HUGE improvement and the way I am thinking of installing them they would still use the adjuster on the dash and even be removeable to restore the bike back to stock. Plug and play in a way. These are DOT legal lights so the upgrade would be 100% legal in the USA. and it would make a HUGE difference in lighting on the road and reduction of glare in the eyes of the oncoming traffic. The lamps are not cheap. I paid $69.00 each for mine (4 on my car)
  13. I have a 07 RSV with a stock stator. Need to install something that will draw 5V/.5A/2.5W? Is it possible to do this with the stock stator or will I have to upgrade. Thinking the stock stator won't handle it, so, need one that will. Any suggestions?
  14. What size battery should I use in NY 1983 venture? I found a 10 ah battery in there. Doesn't seem to be big enough. Was thinking to getting a 22 ah Did the cable upgrade. Still has a slow turnover. Draws down to the yellow on meter when chanking.
  15. I want to start riding at night again, and the headlight on the Lady Blue just isn't enough. So I've seen my options: Upgrade to a new headlight bulb. I was thinking PIAA's H4's, or a Silverstar Ultra. Aux Lights: Who to buy from, what kind? ya know? I need ones that provide optimum visuals, and be fully capable of supporting my headlights light cast. Upgrade to HID: Who to buy from? what type? Theres lots of different types of Aux lights, fog lights, hid brands... -.-'
  16. hey all anyone know of a headlight upgrade that i just plug in and go? i came across a old post here about someone trying to get a set of hella lamps to plug in to existing light but cant find it again and dont know if it worked out into a plug an play kit or not. the original headlight on my 83 venture is crap and looking for something to cange it without change or adding a bunch of wireing and electronics. thanks for any help
  17. My 91 VR project is behind me, I finally got to ride my new touring machine and was really impressed by the quality of my ride, many of you where telling me how good the Venture was and with your help, I must agree its a great ride. The motor seems to purr between 4000-5000 RPM and growl above 5000, without noticeable vibrations or hesitations, no back-fire and very smooth. The bike handles better than expected, with proper damper adjustment and air pressure my ride is solid in long sweepers, with no noticeable speed wobbles at +130 km/h, sharp and crisp in rapid curves, I am impressed for a 21 year old touring machine. Braking is top notch with R1 calipers and new rotors, it's all about control and power. Comfort is good, I also love the cruise control, ease of operation and constant speed hold make's it a big plus and helped me get 42 MPG on my first two tankfuls, riding two-up with a 800 pound bike is very good as long as I am concerned. 3 months of hard work and love to bring back life in this machine, with many modifications such as, K&N air filter, fuse upgrade, complete front fork rebuild with progressive springs, complete brake overhaul with R1 calipers, new rotors, stainless brake lines, complete carburetor restoration and mounting computer on top of air filter. One last upgrade is left to do for this year(maybe), is Ignitech computer upgrade to replace my 21 year old black box, I did receive unit and will be installing unit next week with Dingy's help(Got a new laptop), this should also help to increase response and control of motor operation. Mike
  18. I installed the Flanders G2 bars and SS lines and cables this weekend with the assistance of Larry ( carbon One). I got the trike off the stand today after cleaning and polishing the rear wheels. The difference in handling and comfort were apparent right away, it now feels like the trike has power steering (think I'll need to stiffen the rear spring preload by 1 notch) and was a much more comfortable riding position. The brakes felt more responsive with the SS lines. I only wish I had the money to do my bike now too maybe next year. If you have not done this upgrade, you need to put it on your list.
  19. I'm new to the Venture world and will be installing a 1300 transmission in my 83 to fix and upgrade the 2nd gear issue. I figure since I'll be there anyway, this may be the perfect time to upgrade the starter as well, along with starter cables. I'd like to go to the newer 4 brush starter if I can get one cheap enough. Been looking at them on ebay it seems very doable. From what I've read, it sounds like any 2nd generation or newer will work, so this means anything Yamaha Venture from 93-2012 will fit. Am I right?
  20. In for a penny in for a pound. On this years round of 1st gen bike upgrades so far: New tires and rubber front and back By local Two Brothers tires Lawrenceville, Ga. Specializing in MC Tires. Programable TCI upgrade By Dingy New Starter clutch by Dano. So in prep for new Starter Clutch upgrade I'm noticing second stock stator is 1/2 crispy. Evidently, Time to do the high output stator Upgrade. So my question is what is the latest and greatest word on a high output Stator upgrade options for a 1987 MK2 XVZ1300 VR. Might as well do it now while I'm into it this far :mo money:and I have a loaner bike, and convertible to drive around until the 1st gen gets back on the road. Bob
  21. I have been working on the PCW clutch upgrade on my 2006 RSV with 42,000 miles. I road to work, then Iron Pony after work to pick up oil filter and oil. Bike has been running great minus the slipping clutch. I honestly dont know if my clutch upgrade worked or not because after I had put everything back together I turn the key to on and before I could hit the starter button the bike fired up on its own. NEVER done that before. I decided to take the battery cables off for a few minutes. Put them back on turned the key to one and the damn thing fires on its own again. The entire time the starter motor is running. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  22. Kudos to ECK, Curt and Freebird for the great directions and post on the clutch upgrade. Bought the PCW upgrade kit, also bought new clutch disks. Everything went right as it should have. Noticed that the only two bolts that were different were at 2 and 10 o'clock, otherwise they were all the same. Wire came right out with a pair of long needle nose, and everything went right back in as planned. No need to adjust the clutch afterwards. Did notice it is slightly stiffer, and maybe does release a little latter, but a VERY noticable difference in that it no longer slips like it did! After talking to Curt, and for others future endevors, there is no need to use permatex or gasket sealer when replacing the gasket. I do see that I will have to buy a smaller torque wrench as mine only goes to 10 ft. lbs. Otherwise, thanks to all, this probably saved me a cpl. hundred bucks as I'm sure thats what my local stealer would'a charged me to do it! Anyomne close to Bremen that ever needs a hand doing one, now please feel free to call! Thanks again Freebird, Eck and Curt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  23. I am going to upgrade my stator soon. I can't seem to find a "how to" in the second gen tech section. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks,
  24. My 83 rotors are too large in diameter for the r6 upgrade. (Found 89 forks and r6 calipers) Any recommendations on rotors that fit the 83 wheel but have small enough diameter. Current rotors are 297x8.
  25. i bought a one owner mazda b4000 (ranger) 4x4. i have made some improvements. i installed a BBK 66mm throttle body, a K&N FIPK, an Accel coil, 8mm wires, and DynoMax cat back exhaust. my question is : what about fuel? the stock injectors run at about 22lbs. bosch. if i upgrade to a 30lb, will performance gains be noticable? im sure gas mileage will suffer a little, but my thought is: more air (done) , more fuel ( not yet) equals more h.p. right??