Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. I know there are a lot of scenic rides in the Black Hills but here are some of that don't get a lot of traffic usually. One of the better ride is just south of Sturgis, SD, just south of I-94 exit 32. It is Vanocher Canyon Road. There is alot of curves and elevation changes on it and very little traffic other the other motorcyclist. It is a nice paved road and run to Nemo Road on the south end. From here I take Nemo road east towards Rapid City but turned south onto Norris Peak road. This was a twisty, sometimes little narrow paved 2 lane road the goes to Johnson Siding on SD 44. From here you can either go east to Rapid City or west to US 385. I enjoyed this ride so much I did it twice, once from the north and then from the south.. I also went into Sturgis and had lunch at One eyed Jacks on Main St. They have excellent hamburgers there. Another fun ride was the Old Hill City Road. This run alongs the Hill City Railroad tracks to Keystone. It is lightly traveled and has alot of curves on it. You will cross the tracks over a dozen times also. This is a nice ride from Hill City to Keystone. Of course I did the major riding roads too.. US 16A and Needles Highway. The one thing to watch out for on Needles highway are the tour buses and I mean the full size kind. So be prepared for meeting a few of these. I ended up meeting 4 of them on one trip and it took one of them about 20 mins to get thru the eye. He sure had traffic backed up both ways. Also road in Spearfish Canyon Road, US 14. We started in Spearfish and rode to US 85 where we headed south to New Castle, Wy. This is a nice road with lots of twisties in SD and then flattens out in Wy but still is a nice ride. We returned to the Hills via US 16 east to Custer. This route has more traffic but does have some scenic spots that make it a nice change. Another circle I did was south out of Hill City on US 385, thru Custer and south to SD 87 north. SD 87 is a twisty narrow road that runs up to US 16 and has all kinds of different terrain. I didnt have alot of traffic on this road either, compared to US 16A and Needles Hwy. There is a pigtail bridge on this section also that adds some interest to it but alot of wide open areas that give stunning views of the valleys. These were the roads I traveled this time and there are alot more you can do. If you dont mind gravel roads, there is always the forest roads to explore but I dont recommend it on a Venture Royale. Hope this helps in your travels of the Black Hills. I know I sure enjoys my travels out there on the motorcycle. Rick F.
  2. How about some of you AZ riders. Tell me how the weather is all year in Phonex and South. Tombstone,Serria Vista,Bisbee areas is riding all year pretty much good to go?? Whats your thought's.
  3. I've done parts of this route on separate rides before, but when you string them together, it is an awesome day of riding, especially with the clear, cooler weather we have now. Left just north of Atlanta at 0700 yesterday heading north up 575/515 to Blue Ridge, then up Rt. 5 to McCaysville into TN, then up Rt. 68 to Tellico Plains where we picked up the western point of the Cherohala Skyway and took it all the way to Robbinsville NC. If you have not ridden this before, put it on your bucket list - - it's one of the best 60+ mile stretches of road you'll ever ride. Then up US129 to the Dragon, which I have to say was way too crowded to really enjoy yesterday, but it's still a fun, twistie ride. At the top of the Dragon, we took the Parkway on a long, lazy ride to US321 south, stopping at a few scenic overlook areas to just take in the amazing views and do some bald eagle watching. We jumped off 321 onto SR337, aka Lamar Alexander Parkway, for a great ride along the Little River all the way to just south of Gatlinburg. On the bummer side, we came upon an accident scene where a biker ran off the road heading in the opposite direction. Don't know their fate, but the bike (looked like a Road King) was clear down the embankment and in the water. Hope they were OK. From Gatlinburg, we headed south on US441 through the Great Smokey Mountain National Forest to Cherokee NC, then back southwest on US74 to Andrews, Murphy, then SR60 to Blue Ridge GA, then back home down I-575. 14 hours, 475 miles, multiple stops for food and sightseeing, and capped off with a hot toddy and some much needed Advil! If you are looking for the ultimate Fall leaf peeping ride down this way, this one would be hard to beat. The colors aren't fully in yet, but the next 30 days or so will be spectacular, and the long range weather forecast at least for the next few weeks is supposed to be very cooperative - - 70's during the day and chilly but not cold at night. We plan to hit all or parts of this route again before the end of October if the kids and grandkids will let us get away, along with side trips already planned for Savannah later this week and Thunder Beach (Panama City Beach) in 3 weeks. Time to stock up on more Advil!
  4. Is there a shim kit that I beg borrow or steal north of the 49th? I know there are a couple floating around south of the border. That may be an option if there isn't one up here. Conrad
  5. I know is almost time to go back home, but Who is close to South Haven, Mi??? I plan to ride tomorrow afternoon around, since Sunday morning we 're facing back home...
  6. Hi there. A buddy and I are leaving Long Island for a week ride. Original plan was to head south, Dragon, Skyline, Blue Ridge, etc but felt the south in August would be way too hot. So now we are thinking North. Been over most of upstate NY, Mt Greystone, MA, Mt Washington NH, Nova Scotia. I'm struggling for a good set of destinations and routes anywhere in Maine promarily nut also northern new Hampshire, vermont, eastern Canada. Kinda thinking about a loop up the east coast, up the US/ Canada border, coming back down NY to long island. I was also thinking of heading west to Michigan, central Canada, back thru ny. Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated Andrew
  7. Came out today that once again Flint Michigan is the most violent City is the USA. We fell to number 3 last year after holding the #1 ranking for the two years before, but took the #1 spot back by a wide margin over #2 Detroit. It really isn't funny, it has got so bad around here. My Daughter was begging me the other night to move away from here, she said even if we can't move South she wants away from Flint. Two of her friends (14 yr old) were jumped walking home from the bus stop last week. Doesn't matter day or night the thugs have no fear anymore. OK enough whining, back to my corner.
  8. My friend JD Holbrooks and I just got back today from a trip that we planned back in December of last year. We rode just a few miles shy of 1,000 miles since last Friday evening. We had a good time and I really enjoyed the ride. I love my new Flanders bars and my Stainless cables. The bars seemed to be low at first here at the house on a short ride. So Thursday night I raised them and and left out Friday around 2 PM. They where just right and made a big difference for me. I also had the foam grip add ons over the grips. We got up around Lake Erie on Saturday and I took the foam grips that stretch over bar ends off. They where to beefy for me.They made my hands feel like they had to much in them. So then the rest of the trip was even better after that. We rode over into Michigan and down to Clearwater, Michigan and spent the night at a Holiday Inn Exp. A very nice hotel and tell Brittany Hi from me. Very very very clean hotel. Brittany was so nice and I had to call her back to find the hotel even with the GPS, we where both lost. Kinda hard to see and find. Right beside interstate 69 on the south side behind Ky Fried Chicken and a great big leafy tree blocking the only sign. I ran across a fellow on down in Indiana as we headed south. The fellow said he knew about the Venture Rider Site and that he knew a fellow back where he lived in Northern Michigan that had a 1st Gen and that he belonged here on the site ??????. Would have been smart for me to remember his name though, sorry. This fellow had two bikes, one he had bought for his ex-wife (Victory maybe) and another that he was pulling a pop up tent trailer with, a Harley. He worked with the company some selling the pop up tent motorcycle trailers. The square ones that keep you up off the ground. A nice trailer. [ATTACH]67813[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]67814[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]67815[/ATTACH] MY Bike and Lake Erie.....My friend JD Holbrooks and his Harley RK.....Me and my bike and the lake. Ohio Rt 6 and Rt 2 along the lake and across the bay up around Port Clinton I think it was. The weather was really cool around Lake Erie. Michigan was just right but really really really dry. Indian north was hot and dry, south was nice. We stayed at the Comfort Inn in Madison,Indiana last night. Nice, and very very clean hotel. Came home this morning. [ATTACH]67816[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]67817[/ATTACH] I rode in some of the flattest country I have ever rode in my life, Indiana cornfields for miles and miles. JD will lead sometimes, but 90% of the time I am leading because he wont do it. He does seem to get us lost easy, but who cares, where riding. Indiana Rt 3 South. I am so glad to be able to be back on the bike. I had some shoulder issues, hence the surgery, not to bad at all on the trip. I did Physical therapy while on this trip. I carried a big plastic coat hanger to do my therapy with. We had a great time. Good to be back riding. Fuzzy
  9. Headed for Don's MD later this week. Normal route would be up I-75 between Knoxville and Lexington. However, I-75 is down to 1 lane both N&S just south of the KY line in TN (Jellico) because of a rock slide. TN DOt web site says it maybe Sept before its completely cleared. Must be massive. So, am looking for an altenate route. What are US 27 and 127 north out of Chattanooga like? Could take 127 all the way to I-71 south of Cinnci. Another route would be to go east and take US 23 thru Asheville NC all the way to Columbus,OH.
  10. http://www.trailoftears-remembrance.org/ the ride this year is September 15th ...I'm only 50 miles south of Florence, Al so IF my wife & I can be of assistance anything please let me know...
  11. THINGS I LEARNED LIVING IN THE SOUTH A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in the South. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in the South, plus a couple no one's seen before. If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha. Onced and Twiced are words. It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy! Jawl-P? means, Did you all go to the bathroom? People actually grow,eat and like okra. Fixinto is one word. It means I'm going to do that. There is no such thing as lunch. There is only dinner and then there's supper. Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar. It is referred to as the Wine of the South. Backwards and forwards means I know everything about you. The word jeet is actually a question meaning, 'Did you eat?' You don't have to wear a watch, because it doesn't matter what time it is, you work until you're done or it's too dark to see. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH em. Ya'll is singular. All ya'll is plural. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect, or animal. You carry jumper cables in your car - for your OWN car. You only own five spices: salt, pepper, mustard, Tabasco and ketchup. The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local high school sports, the motor sports, and gossip. Everyone you meet is a Honey, Sugar, Miss(first name) or Mr.(first name) You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday. You know what a hissy fit is.. Fried catfish is the other white meat. We don't need no dang Driver's Ed. If our mama says we can drive, we can drive!!! You understand these jokes and forward them to your Southern friends and those who just wish they were from the SOUTH.
  12. I would like to know if anyone in Fla or South Ga. is planning on doing a valve job on their Venture. I do not need one on my bike but I have read all the posts on our site and really want to try it. I plan on learning it and then helping our members out. I have a carbtune and could teach that now and do adjustment for members. The valve adjustment is very interesting to me and so I would like to help, watch and learn. Please let me know and I will drive to the event/maintenance day or days. I also would purchase a shim kit for all to use. If anyone has one for sale please let me know as well. I am more than ready to tackle this job. Thanks to Goose for his excellent write up on how to perform this maintenance task. thanks, DanC:cool10:
  13. What do you do in South Dakota when it hits 60 degrees? I think the picture says it all........
  14. A friend sent me this. Wonder how long it will be before it's south of the border. http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Noise+Snare+ready+muffle+Calgary+bikers/5702613/story.html
  15. AHHHHH the benefits of snow,,,,, it's pure white, it quiets the neighborhood, it keeps people indoors,,, it kills the gnats and mosquitoes, it does a number on flies. It comes and goes and makes Christmas pretty. It's fun to slide on and sled on, because of snow we have Hockey and skiing, and snow-boarding, and horse drawn sleighs. It keeps some people south and makes others head south, and so leaves more room for the rest of us. The cold gets rid of the heat, and makes one look forward to the heat once more. It gives a guy time to do work on his scoot,,, and that is most important!!!
  16. With the weather I was just wanting to amke sure all our southern riders where OK. Hope nobody was hurt during your outbreak of bad weather in the south.
  17. Dark red Gen 1 turned west on SE 44th Street from S. Sooner Road. Then turned south into housing area. Anyone from here?
  18. Hi folks, haven't been on like I would like, dont have good internet where the boat is docked. Anyway, looking at heading south from Masachusetts at the end of October, and was thinking of going by Gettysburg, have always wanted to go and it is on the way, figure I would getr there on a Friday evening, visit the park on Saturday, and then continue on my trip south to Florida on Sunday. Anybody close by that would like to get togather, would be fun to meet up with some folks, and see the the park, always more fun to do something like this with friends. This is just pre-planning, it is hard for me to plan ahead, leaving Mass with the boat on the 10th of October, and a lot depends on how the trip south goes, and then I have to get the bosses suburban south with a loaded u-haul, and then............I fly back up north and get my bike. Anybody interested let me know, and we can start planning a get-togather.
  19. I passed a Venture on the Red River Gorge Road Saturday in Kentucky. I believe it was a Red and Silver 03 but not 100% sure. Was wondering if it was anyone from the board. It was in a group of 6 or 7 headed south.
  20. Well, the wife and I just got back from a nice trip. We left NJ on Monday morning and went up along the Delaware river into Port Jervis, NY. then up 209 to around kingston and up 9w (depressing) and some other back roads and stayed just north of Saratoga Springs. Next day it was doing some sighting in the area and then up to Vermont and then south through the Green Mountains and into the Berkshires of MA. Then back to NY for the night and then home to South Jersey. Nice trip. It only rained 4 or 5 times. Mostly on top of the mountains.
  21. This was written by Robert St. John, executive chef and owner of the Purple Parrot Cafe, Crescent City Grill and Mahogany Bar of Hattiesburg , MS. Thirty years ago I visited my first cousin in Virginia . While hanging out with his friend, the discussion turned to popular movies of the day. When I offered my two-cents on the authenticity and social relevance of the movie Billy Jack, one of the boys asked, in all seriousness; 'Do you guys have movie theaters down there?' To which I replied, 'Yep. We wear shoes too.' Just three years ago, my wife and I were attending a food and wine seminar in Aspen , Colo. We were seated with two couples from Las Vegas . One of the Glitter Gulch gals was amused and downright rude when I described our restaurant as a fine-dining restaurant. ' Mississippi doesn't have fine-dining restaurants!' she insisted and nudged her companion. I fought back the strong desire to mention that she lived in the land that invented the 99-cent breakfast buffet. I wanted badly to defend my state, my region, and my restaurant with a 15-minute soliloquy and public relations rant that would surely change her mind. It was at that precise moment that I was hit with a blinding jolt of enlightenment, and in a moment of complete and absolute clarity it dawned on me -- my South is the best-kept secret in the country. Why would I try to win this woman over? She might move down here. I am always amused by Holly wood 's interpretation of the South. We are still, on occasion, depicted as a collective group of sweaty, stupid, backwards-minded, racist rednecks. The South of movies and TV, the Holly wood South, is not my South. This is my South: "My South is full of honest, hardworking people. My South is the birthplace of blues and jazz, and rock n' roll. It has banjo pickers and fiddle players, but it also has BB King, Muddy Waters, the Allman Brothers, Emmylou Harris and Elvis - and Leontyn Price. My South is hot. My South smells of newly mowed grass. My South was kick the can, creek swimming, cane-pole fishing and bird hunting. In my South, football is king, and the Southeastern Conference is the kingdom. My South is home to the most beautiful women on the planet. In my South, soul food and country cooking are the same thing. My South is full of fig preserves, cornbread, butter beans, fried chicken, grits and catfish. In my South we eat foie gras, caviar and truffles. In my South, our transistor radios introduced us to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones at the same time they were introduced to the rest of the country. In my South, grandmothers cook a big lunch every Sunday, so big that we call it dinner (supper comes later). In my South, family matters, deeply. My South is boiled shrimp, blackberry cobbler, peach ice cream, banana pudding and oatmeal cream pies. In my South people put peanuts in bottles of Coca-Cola and hot sauce on almost everything. In my South the tea is iced and almost as sweet as the women. My South has air-conditioning. My South is camellias, azaleas, wisteria and hydrangeas. In my South, the only person that has to sit on the back of the bus is the last person that got on the bus. In my South, people still say 'Yes, ma'am,' 'No ma'am,' 'Please' and 'Thank you.' In my South, we all wear shoes....most of the time. My South is the best-kept secret in the country. Please continue to keep the secret....it keeps the idiots away."
  22. We are taking a week long trip to Arkansa in Aug and looking for some things to do and places to ride . We will be leaving from MO and headed south down either 65hwy or 71hwy . Looking for great places to stay , eat and senic rides . I'm sure someone on here has been down south to Arkansa . So give me your ideas please .
  23. Spotted a blue venture heading towards Rustburg on 501 south just a couple miles south of Lynchburg, VA. Was it you????
  24. First the sightings. Took a wonderful ride up in the Thumb of Michigan yesterday and on the way up saw two MKII south of Vasser in the roadside park on M15. Farther up MKII heading south on Vasser Rd just south of Wisner. MKII on M25 in Owendale. MKII south of Caseville on M25. MKII North of caseville on M25. Then another MKII parked at the Grindstone Bar in Grindstone. I spent the night with a friend in Grindstone. On the way back today lost count on how many MKII I saw heading North into the Thumb. Saw NO second Gens. Must not of been able to keep up. Now for the MUCH MORE. From Caseville to Port Austin which runs along Lake Huron beautiful Women in bikinis everywhere. What a scenic ride for these poor old eyes. Would still be up there but the darn Daughter kept calling me all night wanting to know how early I was leaving to get her and bring her home, she wanted to come home. So I get up early this morning, she's not answering her phone so I head straight home (not along lake shore) see just hundreds of bikes heading up, get home , call her to tell her I'm coming to get her, AND SHE DON'T WANT TO COME HOME!!! They are having a Birthday party for her friend where she was staying and wants to stay. I could of been setting on the deck at Duffy's in Caseville sipping a beer and admiring the scenery. It's not everyday you can see so much scenery setting in one spot. No I didn't take no pictures (camera would of melted). I just appreciate the scenic beauty God put on this Earth for us all to enjoy. Oh to be 25 again (I could ride longer)
  25. Imagine that you have been living in a house for 20 to 25 years...and all of a sudden...someone is knocking on your door saying there will be 25 feet of water here in a few days...get out and get out now. Can you imagine trying to get everything you own out of the house and to higher ground in just a few days? That is what these people here in South Lousiana are having to do. Uhaul trailers and trucks are hard to find... Folks are using what ever they can to move thier stuff out or loose it. I have seen photos of folks hauling riding lawn mowers in john boats. Not only the folks in south LA...we need to think of all that have been effected by the Mississippi River flooding all the way up. They have no choice but go... We all need to keep these folks in our thoughts and prayers.