Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. I have a '99 venture with the standard smooth seats. I have ridden up to 400 miles with minimal discomfort. I bought a set of pillow seats and installed along with pillow backrest. I want the Mrs. as comfortable as possible. Are these as comfortable as they look and are they hot in the summer? I weigh around 150lbs. Thanks to all and have a Merry CHRISTmas!!
  2. It happened last nite just before going to bed, Charlene had made a nice big pot of homemade chicken noodle soup, and wanted me to put it downstairs in the fridge. So I am heading downstairs holding on to the pot with both hands, a thought runs through my mind that this would make a really big mess if I was to drop it or fall while going down, I make it to the landing after navigating the first set of steps ok, make the turn to the second set of steps, everthing is okay until I hit the second step from the top and my heal hits the edge of the step, slips off and next thing I know I am bouncing my but off of the next four steps till I hit the closed door at the bottom of the stairway. I still have the pot of soup in one hand, the lid is on the floor, there is soup about 4 feet up the wall, soup all over me, and 95% of it on the floor by the door. Charlene was in bed until she heard me bouncing my butt off the steps. I guess its sorta like when riding a mc, you go where you look, in this case is you do what you think might happen. I now am having a hard time getting comfortable sitting and laying down, every time I moved last night I woke up in agony, and its hard to get comfortable while sitting. Thank goodness I have meds that will help with that. I guess I am lucky I didnt break anything besides my pride when I fell, I aint getting any younger.
  3. Kind of sad today. Sold my 98 Magna V45 today to an 18 yr old kid. Hope he can handle it. Really liked that bike as it was fun to ride. It handled great and ate up Harleys. I bought my RSTD in June because it was a lot more comfortable riding two up. I have a thing for the V-4. Don't have time or room for both so the Magna lost out. Now I have more money to buy shiny things for new bike
  4. I am just curious as to how you guys rank the Venture against the Goldwing? I personally like my Venture better then the Wing and the biggest reason is i think the Venture is a more comfortable bike. There are things that the Goldwing has that i wish my Venture had like Reverse and fuel injection being the two main ones but i think the Venture has more comfy seats and i like the floorboards way better then the pegs and upright seating position that the Goldwing has. It actually feels very vintage and outdated to me when i sit on one and ride it. I am basically just talking about comfort here, forget the looks, price difference, fuel injection, and reverse etc. If the Wing and the Venture were the same price and you wanted a nice comfortable touring bike based on the smoothness of the ride and the comfort level between the two bikes, which bike would you buy? The Venture honestly gets my vote. I have ridden a Goldwing but not on a long distance trip or anything like that. From what i see the RSV just seems like a more comfortable bike and if i was going on a 1000 mile trip, it seems to me like the Venture would be the more comfortable choice. Agree or disagree?
  5. Hello Looking for a member in Tacoma to help me as I am looking to purchase an item in the area and am not comfortable with seller.
  6. Leaving work last friday the Venom on the rear was flat. Local dealer quotes for new Avon were $190 for the tire, then $25 to $100 for mounting. and they didnt offer to blow-in-my-ear for that price.... with 112,000 on the 07 RSV have been thru Bridgestone, Metzler, Michelin and Avon (my favorite so far). long story short -last weekend I dropped by Harbor freight for a motorcycle bead breaker, motorcycle wheel balancer and weights. cycle gear for tire spoons, then Discount tire for a Kumho. all totaled - $209. Then i fabricated a hitch-mounted tire changing "stand".. nothing fancy.. an old car rim, some steel box tube and left over fish-tank air hose (split lengthwise and siliconed around to the top of the rim). Last night I began the manual swap- not as difficult as i'd thought it would be. (swipped better-halfs' liquid dishwashing soap from under the sink) Pumped to 70 lbs it just wouldn't "pop".. stopped there - just not comfortable with pushing 100 lbs in there. will let it bake all day in the Arizona sun -s/b 91degrees today. hopefully that'll do the trick. From what i've read - appears 30 - 35 lbs makes the Kumho feel most comfortable... appreciate any feedback on tire pressures & break-in (other than the "it can be kinda slippery for the first couple hundred miles")..
  7. Just rode the RSTD 540 miles this weekend. My butt is killing me. What seats are you guys comfortable riding for long distances on? I have a 2006 RSTD (new to me).
  8. My wife and I took our first trip on the RSV. Bought it last fall after many years of old wings. We headed to western MI and up the coast. Took B15 which was beautiful ride connecting with M22 to Traverse City. The next morning we headed up the Old Mission Peninsula and then around the Leelanau Peninsula on M22 cricling back through TC and on up through Charlevoix onto Petoskey. Took 119 the "Tunnel of Trees" this morning and then back to southern Mi. What a great trip on the bike. Had done some of this before with the car. I had already put 7,000 miles on the bike (140 miles round trip to work) but this was our first long ride together. What a great, comfortable ride. I can say that I am tired but not sore at all. Actually, i think it is more comfortable than the car. Even with my rear shock which i think is shot. Comfortable enough for the wife to fall asleep several times.
  9. Ok short story is the gentleman that bought my silverwing flew in today to pick it up and ride it to Indiana and then on to Arizona. The plan went as it was supposed to except one thing, he is inexperienced and in ten blocks has already has several mishaps. What do I do now? I am not comfortable in letting him take it on a cross country trip when he cant get it across town!! Legally i cant stop him. But morally it aint right for me to let him go. Any and all help appreciated. Shaun
  10. My wife finaly road on our new to us 2004 RSV. Our last bike was a GW so I was concerned how she would like this bike. She really enjoyed it and said it was very comfortable. I was planning on adding armrest figuring she would want them because she had them on the GW. To my surprise she liked the bike without them, she likes holding the handles and is very comfortable. She did say she would like me to get a drivers backrest with a storage pouch in the back so she can put stuff in it. That was her only complaint is lack of reachable storage. So I went from needing to buy armrest for her to buying a backrest for me, I'm a lucky man. Now I just need to find out who makes a backrest with a storage pouch.
  11. Hey all, Love the site, except that it steals hours away from me as I spend too much time reading through years worth of very helpful threads. I picked up my 02 RSV about three weeks ago. After 1,500 miles I'm loving it more every day. My wife loves it at least as much as I. There is just one issue I'm hoping you folks can help with. The wife isn't enjoying the wind at highway speeds. According to her, she is getting knocked around a lot worse than she does on the back of my Volusia which only has a small shield to keep the wind off my chest. So here are the details. The shield on my RSV is 17inches tall and 23 wide. She is 5'8 and weighs about 105. I'm 5'7 and weigh a bit more than I should. She enjoys the very little wind on her legs (especially in the cold weather), but gets pounded on the upper body and head. I'm thinking that the wind is being deflected over\around me and directly into her. I ride as long as it is above 20 degrees. At that temp I find my lower back getting cold which further makes me think the wind is wrapping around me. The front of my body stays comfortable. Do other folks passengers experience such a rough time with the wind? Any suggestions on how to make the spouse's ride more comfortable? Thanks Muchly, Dan.
  12. Hey there VentureWingers. I've got two different types of risers for passenger floorboards for the wing for sale. We tried a number of combinations before we found what worked best for my wife. Both items are in "as new" condition and are considerably less than new cost. They are listed in the "Accessories for all bikes" category (Maybe we need a GW accessories section?). Anyway, if you're looking for something to help make your better half more comfortable, here's a couple options for you! If nobody here is interested in a few days I'll post 'em on a GW site, but thought I'd give my Venturerider buddies first shot. Dwayne
  13. For the parts you sent me. My class system is working great and my ride to and from MD was a very comfortable ride as a result, the system is now working as it should.
  14. Like it said, I have an 83 mk1 and the seat has started getting messed up from the heat and sun. Its almost like its melting and has gotten sticky. I like the stock seat but it really isn't too comfortable for a long ride. I'm a bigger guy, think 250ish so I was wondering if there is an aftermarket seat available for the first gen mk1s, would really like it to have the option for or come with a drivers back rest. Haven't been able to find any seat options so any ideas would be great, or any ideas about making stock seat more comfortable. Thanks for your time guys:bluesbrother:
  15. I have had a desire for a lighter, agile bike for local riding. The 2011 America with it's under 900 cc engine feels great. It has forward controls and is very comfortable on the dealer floor. There is no way that I would ever delete my perfect 02 Midnight Venture. Has anyone had experience with the Triumph America?
  16. I have a really bad hip so I sit leaned more to one side, cause it is more comfortable. Now I try to sit more strait up but just cannot help leaning slightly. My question is what can I do to make the seat a little more comfortable for me. I know there may not be anything but I gots to ask. Shaun
  17. Hey guys i ve read all the search forums and nothing shows for raising the bike. Mine uis the 96 rs . the rear monoshock is horizontal so the leveling links wont work. my prob is that when I get to do some good turns I scrape on my floorboard as well as my year bottom pipe and braket. I am a heavy guys and have been through the shock settings. this is the one setting which feels best. Large holes are a bit rough at high speeds but 60 mph back road cruising is very comfortable. Now before i get people telling me not to treat it like a sport bike! My turns are far from saggressive. or who knows maybe they are . But my buddy with a 96 electra glide takes the same turns with no scrape. Same speed also. What can i do?
  18. i have been looking at road kings and softails and I love the way the bars are swept back. i thkn you call these california, or beach bars. there are a few royal stars that i have seen with these bars. is there a certain year that have these bars and does any one have exp with these bars. it looks very comfortable But id hate to spend teh cash for the bars and all the longer cables and wires and find out that it doesnt handle as well.
  19. I'm thinking of buying a backrest for my 2007 RSV. After checking out the posts on backrests I noticed that most them are old posts, and there seems to be a lot of talk about how comfortable a particular backrest is compared to one's height. So, I would like to get some up to date opinions and some more info on the backrest vs my height (5' 8"). Thanks.
  20. I've read through midrsv's thread comparing the GL1800 to the VR and thought maybe it would help some that may be on the fence over a trade for a HD. I traded my 1988 VR and 2007 Sportster Custom for a 2011 HD FLHTCU (Ultra Classic Electra Glide) two weeks ago, and there are some pretty big differences in the two. I've only ridden about 200 miles (odometer read 11 miles when I signed the papers) on the Harley, but here is what I have noticed so far: At a Glance While the Venture is a good looking bike, it is distinctively 1980's. The lines and sharp angles, combined with "futuristic" (for the times) design of the dash panel, these bikes scream "Knight Rider." Of course, these bikes are 22+ years old, and the majority of them show their age. Mine did as well, but unless you were very close to it, or looking for blemishes, you wouldn't have noticed them. Overall, it was a older bike that I was proud to own. The Ultra is brand spanking new, and you can tell. There are no blemishes, and it has that new bike smell. Make that "were no blemishes." On the second ride, I didn't realize the muzzle of my 1911 was sticking out and it made a small scuff on the top of the seat. The paint is a sharper color than the VR, but I don't think the quality and craftsmanship are any better. Their is a lot to be said about the classic look of the bat wing fairing and passing lamps, though. I guess that is why the majority of other manufacturers have been copying them for a decade or more. Ergonomically Speaking My first few rides on the Yamaha were a bit tedious, but I had gotten very comfortable on the VR in the short time I owned it. I had been riding all my life, but had never even sat on a touring bike until I bought this one. The handlebars were very comfortable, and the gauges were easy to identify and read. If the sun was in the right place, though, you could get a slight glare on the instruments. The only thing I ever found a bit awkward was operating the cruise control. The remote for the radio system, and the PTT button for the intercom were both perfectly positioned, though. Both saw a lot of usage on my bike. The Ultra has a more classic design, and that makes the instruments much easier to read for me. There are no dummy lights on this bike, and this makes the dash look less cluttered. Honestly, though, a gear indicator would be nice for the six speed tranny. It does have a little "6" on the speedometer, at least. The handlebars are a more classic design, and a tad wider than the VR. This may make a difference for some, but not to me. The stock grips are more comfortable to me, but then again they are new. While the activation switch for the cruise control is no better or worse than the VR, the remaining controls are more awkward to me. They seem to be positioned too close to the grip to operate comfortably with the thumb, and I don't think there is a cancel button. Power is Everything This is a "apples and oranges" comparison, since they are totally different engines. The numbers that I have found are 97HP for the V4 and 95HP for the V twin. So, even though the Ultra has a extra 294cc's, the VR makes more power. Of course these are both theoretical numbers, measured at the crank. Dyno results for the Twin Cam 96B show 63HP at the rear wheel. I have no idea what the numbers are for the V4. I do know what the "butt dyno" has to say though, and that is the V4 is quicker, but the V twin has more torque. The roll on response of the 96B TC is much quicker than the V4, especially in a higher gear at highway speeds. I'm going to guess that this is due to the fact that the new bike is fuel injected rather than quad carbed. While this makes for quicker and sharper throttle response, and removes the need to choke the crap out of a cold bike, it does present it's own set of problems. This mostly comes in to play for the tinkerer, who likes to tune their bike periodically. It can still be done on the Harley, but requires a computer to do so. The cost for repairs is much higher as well. The exhaust setup on the VR is, of course, dual two-into-ones, and the HD has true duals. The latter means a less stifled engine. The V4 engine has that common, metric bike sound. Nothing special about it, unless that constant puff from a slightly out of tune carb qualifies. The 96B has that distinctive Harley sound. Not so much out of the box. The EPA has our bikes so over-regulated these days that even a big twin HD sounds like a Singer sewing machine from the factory. A set of 3.5" Rinehart slip-ons woke her right up, though. I know many criticize the MOCO for this and that, but if you don't like the sound of Harley Davidson at idle, then you seriously need to have your testosterone levels checked. Where the Rubber Meets the Road When talking about a touring bike, the following is where it's at; comfort and handling. Both of these bikes are top notch in their element. Even at 22 years old, my VR was super comfortable. With a seat height of 30.9", the VR is nearly 2" taller than the HD. As a rider that is on the shorter side of average at 5'9", with short legs (30" inseam), both are a bit hairy when at a stop. The VR, though, had front and rear air shocks that were super easily adjustable. The rider can set up the height of the bike before startup, and have no worries about stopping on the ride. The Harley is adjustable in the rear, but it is a much more involves process that requires tools to do so. Of course, lowering the suspension means diminishing the ride quality to some degree, so I ended up just dealing with the tip-toe stopping on both. In the area of balance, the HD wins hands down. The very first thing I noticed about the Yamaha was that it liked to walk at slow speeds, and even a little bit at cruising speed. A fork brace lessened this problem at cruise, but you just had to learn to handle the beast in a parking lot. Neither of these is a issue on the Harley. Once it starts moving you can almost let go of the handlebars. Both have comfortable stock seat configurations, but the seat seems much wider on the Ultra. This can get uncomfortable for a rider with short legs, but can be corrected by whipping out the checkbook.My son claims the passenger seating is better on the HD, even though he gave up armrests on the new bike. The floorboards for the rider are much more comfortable than the oversized pegs on the VR, and the riding position seems to be slightly more stretched out on the Harley. Creature Comforts Hey, it's a touring bike, it's supposed to have all the bells and whistles. If I wanted a hard core bike I would have kept the Sporty. Both bikes have about the same amount of storage capacity. The key difference here is in the operation of the saddlebags and trunk. The saddlebag lids on the VR have to come all the way off for access, where the HD lids are hinged and open to the outside, so you can handle your stuff without looking for a place to store your lids. The hard bags on the HD are very easily removed for access to the rear wheel and exhaust as well. The trunk on the HD opens to the side, meaning the passenger doesn't have to get off the bike in order to access your gear. It's hard to compare the electronics on the two bikes, because of the new technology that exists now. I can say that the speakers were shot on my VR. I ended up listening to the radio through the headset, which may as well have been someone singing into a tin can. The Harmon Kardon sound system on the HD is worlds above the Yamaha system. It still has the intercom, the CB, and the AM/FM tuner, but also adds in a weather band, a single disc CD player, and a auxiliary input for a IPod/MP3 player. The front speakers are larger than the VR, and there is a set of rear speakers of the same size. The audio controls are actually easier to access than the remote on the VR was. Also, the intercom is VOX, which is nice, but can cause some problems with the exhaust note of the V Twin. The passenger controls are split up on the HD, with some on each side of the tour pak. Overall Impression I'm still finding it difficult to compare these two bike to each other. The age difference, and the difference in the new technology just make them too different, even though they are similar in a lot ways. The older Yamaha was a little quicker, and maybe even a little more comfortable, but I was interested in a touring bike to take longer rides on in comfort. That, to me, really means having all the bells and whistles operating the way they are supposed to, in addition to a bike that is mechanically reliable without having to throw a lot of money at. While I considered throwing some money at the Yamaha, it dawned on me that no matter how well maintained it might be, it is still a 22+ year old bike with 50,000 miles on the frame and engine. It was also becoming difficult to find parts for since there weren't a lot of them made to begin with. Being a skin flint at heart, I had a very hard time justifying the $23,500 price tag on the new bike. I still have a hard time with that, even though I know I can afford it. It all boils down to each rider has to have what they want, as much as what they need. Hope this helps a bit, and I will try to add to it as I ride the new bike more. I know there is a lot that I have missed here, so if there is a question I will do my best to answer it.
  21. OK, I did it, I jumped ship to the Honda camp. Yesterday I picked up a new 2010 GL1800 and I did so with reservations. I still feel the Venture provides a more comfortable riding position. While I am not as comfortable on the Wing I've ridden about 50 miles on a friends bike and with a few modifications I think I can make it work. Now, why did I make the switch now? First, we've got a 6000 mile trip planned for this summer and my wife suggested that we take a new bike. Don't you just love a wife like that. The only bikes I considered were a new Venture, a Victory Vision, and the Wing. As good as the Venture is I just couldn't bring myself to buy another Venture with the dated design. I found the Vision very comfortable and gave it serious consideration but my wife wasn't comfortable on it. So that wouldn't do. And that left me with the Wing. If anyone cares to know, I got the Wing with CB, rear spoiler with brake light, and fog lights out the door and on the road for $20,560. If someone would have given me any real hope that there would be an updated 2012 Venture I would have probably waited. However, no one could. So I found a nice deal on a new 2010 base GL1800 so I took the leap. If I can't make it work and/or a new Venture arrives in 2012 you may find a slightly used Wing on the market next year. My wife asked me last night how I was going to get along without the cassette deck. Hope you guys will still let me hang around. Dennis
  22. I just bought an '02 Venture with what looks like the pillow top seats and they are cracked on the seating surface between the buttons. Does anyone make a replacement cover for these? I really don't want to buy all new these seem to be comfortable.
  23. turns as far as dragging the foot boards? For what ever reason I'm much more comfortable leaning hard into a left turn than a right one. On my Tour Classic, with the exception of "The Dragon" I've never drug the right foot board, but occasionally, effortlessly, drag the left one. So far I've not been comfortable enough to drag either board on the RSV.
  24. Ordered a pair of diamond gusset ridding pants. They are lined with Kevlar in all the right places. They fit good and are very comfortable so i asked the wife if she wanted to order a pair for her. She asked me to hold off a while, so i waited. next she wanted that old leather coat that didn't fit any more. Well, being creative as all ways, she took the largest pair of jeans she had, took them apart and sewed patches of leather in all the right places and then put them back together. they look great and she says they are comfortable. She saved me more than $100 for more stuff for the RSV. Thats my girl! Just thought some might like to use her idea.
  25. I had been looking for boots for a while. I finally found RedWing Zipper 979 Motorcycle boots. They have been the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.