Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. Just wanted to let everyone know about Ivans jet kits available online installed in my venture-actually uses smaller main jets and finally got my carbs synced right and it has more power and is smoother
  2. I have been a Venture fan for years and finally I recently purchased a used 2000 back in september. The carbs needed to be set up right but I did not want to do the spacer trick to them. My mechanic is designer for many tweaks and jet kits for various bikes so I went to him to talk about what to do. Since there is no true jet kit for the second gen Ventures he took my bike in on his dyno for a little R&D for a true jet kit. After numerous spins on the dyno and different needles he had a needle custom cut with 5 angles. It took the weakness out of the original lean stock set up. So after picking it up I went for a short ride today between raindrops. Road was wet and I am spinning the rear tire like crazy if I twist too much. Granted I have no trunk or bags on but whoa the rear tire let loose easy in lower gears. When I first got the bike back in september the clutch would slip at just a touch of the lever but never under power. Now it slipped with the added power till it warmed up some. Clutch needed replacement anyway and is on the winter to do list. Great pull power in every gear except I could not tell in overdrive only because I was not going fast enough. Need to get it on the highway to properly test that. Patrtial throttle response was greatly improved with instant response at a touch of the throttle. It felt like it pulled almost as hard as my Honda Magnas (12.5 sec 1/4 mile on the Magna) but I will update that when I can run my friend with his Magna. Cold start was pull choke out it starts right up, one minute later push choke in and it runs normally. That was a huge improvement over stock set up as it took a while to run normally before the jet kit. So overall this is a needed improvement for all Venure/Royal Star owners. Stock set up was way too lean. Once I can get some long runs in I will be able to determine gas mileage. I bet it is the same if not better than stock as you don't have to twist the throttle much to get it rolling more. I am also running K&N air filters and NGK Iridium plugs. Ivan knows what he is doing on these as he has many kits for older bikes that work perfect. You should see his cherry collection of 60s-80s 2cycle bikes in his shop. Best 140 bucks you can spend on your Yamaha! http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/xvz1300.htm
  3. Well, since I have the bike pretty much apart in my garage for general maintenance and cleaning after the riding season I have decided to do some needed work on it. Have ordered a rebuild kit for the clutch and want to pull the carbs and adjust the floats and rejett them. Now I have no idea what kind of a jet kit I should buy. I can only see one kit offered for the 28 mm Mikuni and that is a stage 1 kit. There are no sizes for the jets listed and I do not know what size the original jets are. I would like to go all the way and open up the airbox and put a K&N filter in. Is there anybody here that has done this to a 28 mm Mikuni (1996 to 2001 model Royal Stars excluding the Venture). Any info and suggestions greatly appreciated. Best regards from Iceland, Jonas.
  4. Hi ALL, New to the site & just gettin' my feet wet. Maybe somebody has experience or knowledge - I'm sure it's been discusssed many times.... Somebackground, I have an 08 RSTD that I bought a year ago (only 6k on it) and have since put 4k on. Love this bike's build quality & ride!! I've owned muscle bikes, dual-sports, c-rockets, standards and I've finally come around to a keeper. No problems at all except the occasional gear whine (?) Not sure I first thought it might be wind noise whistling through the fairing or something. Not a bid deal to me- unless it's an issue for down the road and I ought to have it repaired while under warranty. Any thoughts? About the pipes. I just installed a set of LA Chopper oval bagger slip-on pipes. Sound great!!! I'm getting some backfire on decel. with hard throttle- not so bad under smooth throttle. I've called some local shops & get mixed opinions- most want to install a jet kit (quoted over 600. ?!?) or do a carb air/fuel adjustment. I've even been told jet kits are not available by some shops. I researched and found a jet kit by "Factory Pro" (#CRB-y92-1.0) that is advertised as a drop-in stage 1 kit requiring no drilling of the slides. Sounds good to me....Anybody ever put one of these in or know of them? I ordered it today so I'm going to look for somebody to install. Also, installed K&N filters as well. Any advice or opinions would be great! Ridin' On:cool10: RSTAR08
  5. Ok,after following Pegscrapers article on doing the 32 mm Carb upgrade on my 98 RSTD,I must say the Royal Star has never run better.The thing pulls at all RPM's better than it did and just generally feels waaay better! I'm a shade tree mechanic at best and I was able (with Lynn's help) to get it done.Even though I did the Bigfoot mod at the same time as the carb upgrade,I ended up closing off the cutout in my airbox as it was sucking too much air.(Full throttle hollow bog sound,ran lean,didn't pull well at higher RPM.)I closed the opening and it made a huge difference. I decided not to Jet up the mains yet but I did jet up the primaries to a 17.5.I may try to jet up one step just to see.It feels pretty good now,I've put maybe 300 miles on since with more to come...I have RK pipes with the center poked out about an inch.Sounds good enough but I'd like more volume. Oh and I sent my seat to Rick Butler while I was down too and all I can say is before anyone buys a new seat,try this first. It feels great.I've only done a couple of 150 mile days so far and I've feel like I can do some serious miles without the old hot spots in the butt that I used to feel...So,thanks to Lynn Nichols and Rick Butler and all the great tech on this site,I will be enjoying my Royal Star even more now!!
  6. My cheapo HF bandsaw finally bit the dust over the weekend so now its time to replace it. Anyone here have a Grizzly brand saw care to comment on quaility, model, etc. After looking thru their web site I'm considering the G96742 model - http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-x-6-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw-w-Swivel-Head/G9742 I've also looked at this one online - http://www.boltonhardware.com/category/bolton-tools/saws/band-saws/horizontal-vertical-combination-bandsaws/5-inch-x-6-inch-metal-cutting-bandsaw-with-swivel-head.php Jet model saws were nice too but averaging an extra $250-300. It seems once you get past the basic 4x6 HF types costs go up rapidly. As much metal as I cut I'm wanting something with decent quality without breaking the bank. Larry
  7. Last weekend I pulled the carbs to seal up the base of the intake tubes with a little permatex black. Problem solved, no more creeping idle. The problem is I decided to drill and pull the caps on the pilot jets and when I did the right front carb the drill bit bumped the jet. Now the jet itself is fine, but when reinstalling the jet it bottoms out at about 2 full turns. I'm figuring I screwed the threads up. I set that needle at one and a half turns out just to be safe. I have the carbs I bought on ebay a few weeks ago and decided to use them for parts because they were dropped in shipment and the whole rack is crooked. So now I need some input from all of you. Will the carb thats on there run ok for now as it sits or should I change it? I'm out the door now for work, but I will check back in the morning to get your 2cents. Thanks, Ray.
  8. So, after runninga bit with the LA Chopper slip-ons I decided to go back to stock pipes. The highway volume became so obnoxious it rattled my eardrums out! The helmet seeemed to make the volume louder- more than I could take. Too bad 'cause I liked the rumble of these pipes at idle and throttle blip. Also, so after putting stock pipes back on and taking a small roadtrip this weekend I realized another issue (I had installed a jet kit to tune the pipes)- gas mileage went down considerably! I used to get 42-45mpg and on this 300 mile trip I only averaged 28-30mpg!!! Jet kit is coming out too. Oh well, I guess it's not such a good idea to re-engineer/mess with what's not broke. RSTAR08
  9. After installing a set of LA Choppers Oval Bag Slash Slip on pipes I quickly discovered how much more "popping and crackling" was going on in the pipes....I decided to purchase a jet kit from Factory Pro ("drop in" requiring no slide drilling) #crb-y92-1.0. This decision was based on the majority of opinions that the RSTD's are lean from the factory. Just picked up bike today. Crackling & popping and occasional backfire upon decel. and hard throttle have been cured! Much more pleasant (IMHO) to my ears, no pops or garbled sounds on downshifts either. Occassionally when you back off throttle quickly after hard accell. there is a "pop" - but just one (grin) not the "dozens" as before and this does not happen each time. If you're curious the install was a coule hund. bucks (+100 for jet kit). Oh yeah, plus a few "hun." for pipes......Oh well, nuthin' comes cheap nowadays anyhow. These pipes are a deep throaty rumble at idle and produce a sharp mid-tone bark when snapping throttle. I like the idle a lot, throttle bark is nice too; however, the cruising volume on highway could get old on long trips.....I think I'll look into wrapping the baffles with steel wool (two brothers racing) or fiberglass packing. Anybody have an idea as to what percentage of volume reduction can be had by packing baffles? (These pipes are the same as the Baron's Oval Bag Slash Pipes) Anyway, it may not be necessary to jet this bike with stock or slip-on pipes but it sure smoothes down the exhaust note a lot! (Popping and crackling and occassiona back/afterfire accurred with stock pipes as well. Later & Advice/opinion is always welcome!
  10. Could someone let me know if the two rubber plugs at the bottom of the main jet body inside the flote cover need to be tight. I have the carbs of for cleaning and both plugs are loose, not sure if this is ok or not, if not where would i get new ones. Thanks Dave
  11. Going through my carbs and was wondering jet sizes. I thought mine were stock. Slows were all #15 but mains were: LF-122.5, LR-122.5, RF-120, RR-117.5. Is this a stock arrangement? OK, did more digging, they're stock. Pilot screws were between 1½ to 2¼. location ?. Do you need to put the covers back on screws? Carbs were filthy on outside (little on inside as someone had put air filters in wrong) I'm guessing all these years with eng case vent line dumping oily laced air in the air filter case. Has anyone dumped the eng case vent to atmosphere like the other vent lines? I've seen it done on other bikes. Why is the sky blue. I'll stop there!
  12. The wife has decided she wants a jet ski. I have know clue bout what size to get, are they like mc's where bigger is better. Fuel usage, how long you can ride. And maintenance. And used ones....how can you determine if it's been abused or can you abuse one other than running into a stump or dock. Thanks in advance...jc
  13. Just wanted to share this with ya'll cuz I am so proud of her. The sound and vid quality isn't so good as she did this in my computer room with a cheapo webcam/mic but as she says, she's not auditioning to become a rock star. However, she is a regular, paid performer at a couple pubs here in the city. Enjoy! Leaving on a Jet Plane [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSFKRGoUbDA&feature=share]YouTube - ‪Leaving on a Jet Plane-Tiffany Crowe‬‏[/ame] The Coffe Song [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIHkqyOIKGQ&feature=share]YouTube - ‪The Coffee Song-By Tiffany Crowe‬‏[/ame]
  14. Just curious, Has anyone made or thought of making a bike trailer out of a Jet ski trailer. The are light weight, most are aluminium. I was thinking of a double to haul two full size bikes. Trying to cut down on weight for some long trips I have planned. http://www.valkyrieforum.com/bbs/Smileys/actions/undecided.gif
  15. I have a 1983 venture on one of the carbs a lot of gas comes out of jet needle hole can some one tell me how to stop this
  16. i happened to stop at my kawasaki dealer yesterday to look at the new victories again. when i was leaving , there happened to be a new kaw jet ski by the front door. i asked my salesman what size motor it had, just out of curiosty. he said 260 horsepower supercharged 1500 cc with 1500 pounds of thrust. blew my mind. any one ever ride one of these things? it must be awesome. where does it end?
  17. Below are a couple of pictures of a plug I pulled from bike. Any comments on its appearance and related engine tweaks would be appreciated. Plug was pulled after low speed ride & pulling into garage. Iridium plug. About 1300 miles on it. 1300 engine Vmax heads Mains 150 jet PAJ2 160 jet Four 7/16" dia holes in air box lid K&N air filter Gary http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/PICT0288.jpg http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/PICT0289.jpg
  18. Anyone need a jet kit for early 2nd Gen? there is one posted on the Yamaha Motorcycle forum http://www.yamahamotorcycleforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21369
  19. Can anyone tell me where I can get a Carb jet kit for my 86 Venture. I just got the bike and want to clean the carbs and replace the jets.
  20. :bang head:hi all i have a full exhaust on my rstd i just bought. and they did not jet the carb. is there a jet kit out there for a 05 rstd. i cant find one.
  21. I ran accross the following site today that has carb enhancement kits that it claims help overall power levels for us: Standard drop-in carb kit Adds more low-end / midrange, if the proper main jet is selected, more topend power. Easy to install and tune - no slide drilling! http://www.factorypro.com/ select Yamaha and scroll down to xvz13 Venture. They also say The needle jet orifice wears oblong in as little as 5,000 miles and is particularly aggravated by "in town", low rpm operation. The result is excessive richness at low rpm that can be partially compensated for by lowering the fuel level. which might help explain why the factory sets the carb floats to run lean? Just a thought. They sell a carb float level adjustment tool. attachment is the tool.
  22. Just wondering how you guys doing? is it anybody there jet.......what about now......what about now.....
  23. I need a jet block gasket. Don't know if replacements are available or if I can repair. Let me know how to repair or where to get a replacement. I'm including pics. Thanks.
  24. Hey All, when I bought the 03 RSV it had the K & N Air Filters. I added a set of Emego 29" Fish Tail Straight Thru Pipes (non-baffled) from JC Whitney, and some 8" Baffles. Yes, it is loud, but I Like It. My problem is the bike runs Rich at Idle, and Lean going down the road. I went to several dealers and a few after market places and appently in all there parts books there is No Jet Kits available for the RSV. I used my Carbtune and sync it right on, but the problems still persist. Does anyone know how to get a jet kit or to solve this issue? Your help would be most appreciated. Thanks-
  25. I got a factory pro jet kit for my RSV Gen 2. It is CRB-Y92-1.0 part number. Have any of you guys or ladies installed one of these? Just looking for some feedback and or tips. I know I have to dis-assemble tank and remove carbs. How big of a project is this & is it worth it? Someone told me I may need to do this several times until I get the right jet combination. The bike does have Samson slash cut mufflers. Is it worth doing? Bill