Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. My Dad and I took a ride up to Barber's Motorsports Park yesterday. It is a quick 120 mile trip for us. We've been to the museum before but not to the Vintage Bike Races. There were some real cool bike there. You have to love the atmosphere of that place. When we were looking for a place to park our bikes, an attendant told us we could park in the circle in front of the museum. He told us to park and go where we wanted. He said we cater to motorcycles here. Great people there. If you have never been to the museum, I strongly recommend you go. It is amazing how far motorcycles have come along throughout the years. The Vintage Bike Races were great. Dad has a '65 BSA 650 Lightning that he hasn't started in almost 30 years. Now we are thinking about restoring it. One fun part of the day is we stopped at the Rider's Harley and I had my Yamaha gear on. Sometimes my Dad doesn't claim me. He had to buy a couple of parts for his Road Glide. The Harley place was nice to me and said they would even take my bike on trade. Told them mine was paid for and I was going to keep it for a while
  2. Your morning devotional. Classic example: At dinner, a little boy was forced to lead the family into prayer. The little boy said" but I don't know how to pray. His Dad said "just pray for your family members, friends and neighbors, the poor, etc. The little boy said "Dear Lord. Thank you for our visitors and their children, who finished all my cookies and ice cream. Bless them so they won’t come again. Forgive our neighbor's son, who removed my sister's clothes and wrestled with her on her bed. This coming Christmas, please send clothes to all those poor naked ladies on my daddy's blackberry and provide shelter for the homeless men who use mom's room when daddy is at work. AMEN" Mom and Dad did not have dinner that evening......
  3. I was out prowling the city on the '84 last evening and wandered into the area where the PO that had my bike before I bought it lived. On a whim I thought I'd swing by and see if he was around. I couldn't remember the house but I knew the street so off I went. As luck was with me I saw him turn around and look as I headed up the hill towards his place. As I pulled into his driveway he was just staring at the bike. All he said when I got off was "That can't be the same bike?" Well, yeah it is. How many other '84 Yammys have ya sold? But the day he sold it to me he dropped it off on a trailer, not running and many parts off the bike in boxes. I could tell he hated to let it go but I only knew a little bit about why. The only time after that was the early summer after I got it he stopped by and I had it back together, street legal and running. He was impressed it was even running at all. That was 2007. His Dad had bought the bike new in '84 from a local dealer. Had it all that time until he got older and wanted a lighter bike but he kept the Venture for the long rides but he passed away shortly after that. The son kept the '84 as it was part of remembering his Dad. It sat in his garage for 9 years unridden, but cared for. Over those 9 years he would find leaks and remove parts to try to fix then. Never got them done and parts went into boxes. I'll thank him for that, they were all there. But we spent an hour talking about the bike. He was shocked at the changes I had made and all the modifactions done. He was happpy the bike was being cared for and ridden. I've put over 30,000 miles on it since I bought it. His Dad would have been happy about that. But it made my night as I knew I had made someone happy, other than me, that be bike was still road worthy and being taken care of like it had been for all those years by his Dad. I just wish the two of them had some decent screwdrivers between them. I mentioned the stripped out Phillips heads I had found on the bike and the son laughed and asked me how many I'd had to replace. "About all of them." Mike
  4. I had noticed it before and could not find it in the owners' manual or the service manual (maybe I just missed it) and it really didn't bother me much until my Dad asked me what it was and I didn't have an answer... http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk208/eric_1964/venture-part.jpg
  5. Early this morning, took my son Tye to Fort Lewis, WA to deploy with his Army SF team. They are in the air now via Commericial Airline and so in about 2 or 3 days he will arrive in Afgan. Yesterday Tye and I talked about the Ducati he wants to get when he returns. He likes the Green one but probably will get the red one. I suggested that he get one like the yellow one. Any bit of plastic helps the battle against the forces of Mother Nature. Plus a bit easier on the cleaning. Need I mentioned that his old Dad needs some wind protection. I tool him that the power band of the 1000cc one would be such a ride. I may have to toss in some $s to persuade him to get the larger cc. I've add some pictures so to help put a face to. He is to join the other half of his team already there. He said that the team's Taliban body count has already past the 300 mark for 2012 I reinforced to him that there is nothing back home with family for Friends issues that needs his attention for most of it is all 1st World problems compared to what he will be dealing with. The picture of the See No Evil , Speak No Evil and Hear No Evil, well that was in my Hospital recover room from my 4 Way By Pass Operation. He said way to go Dad, Great timing. He got to come home from his 3rd Afgan tour for a week. It cost him a pretty penny for air fare but the break was nice. Gave him a hand shake and a hug and said Good Hunting and God Speed with a Safe and Quick Return.
  6. Just to let you all know that Marca's dad passed on to glory very peacefully yesterday at 9pm. He now no longer has any pain, or sorrow, and he is able to walk again for a change. He was 84 and looking forward to the trip. Yes there were tears,,,, but along with that,,,,, lots of JOY. Looking forward to today, we're getting together with the kids and a lot of the grandkids, just to remember and to celebrate, and to plan the next few days. Carl
  7. We have 6 kids,,,,, well they are all grown up now, so not kids any longer, but we call them our kids still. Our oldest just turned 40 this year, and has 5 kids of their own. Dorothea and Dean have made great parents, are well involved in community and church life and live in a modest bungalow in Limehouse Ont. Dean works for a local contractor and Dorothea home schools the kids, up to grade 11, and works as secretary at her church. They are an awesome family. Just last week I got a call from Dorothea saying that she had just come back from the doctors and tests etc, and she was informed that she has cancer on her one kidneys and it needs to be removed, which they will do ASAP as soon as she gets rid of the pneumonia that she has as well,,, so it looks like the 1st of Feb. Doctor says it's all contained and that no chemo or radiation will be needed. The Blessing that comes with this already is her statement that: No dad, I'm not worried or concerned. I have pain and I'm tired most of the time and I want to get up and do my usual things, but worried I'm not,,,, you see dad, I was taught that every cloud has a silver lining and I'm sure this one will as well, we just have to wait to see what that might be. And it's no matter, if I have to leave this world,,, ya it's not my game plan,,,, but if that's to be, then our Master will bring good out of that as well.. What a girl!!!!!! But we could use some prayers for healing for her. With the oldest being 17 and the youngest 10, I'm thinking they could use a good momma for a while yet. And Dean still needs some direction as well....lol! If you want to email her: Dorothea Vuyk
  8. Don't know who wrote this, Life as a child growing up in Oklahoma ... Around age 10, my dad got me one of those little badass compound bow beginner kits. Of course, the first month I went around our land sticking arrows in anything that could get stuck by an arrow. Did you know that a 1955, 40 horse, Farmall tractor tire will take 6 rounds before it goes down? Tough sumbich. That got boring, so being the 10 yr old Dukes of Hazard fan that I was, I quickly advanced to taking strips of cut up T-shirt doused in chainsaw gas tied around the end and was sending flaming arrows all over the place. One summer afternoon, I was shooting flaming arrows into a large rotten oak stump in our backyard. I looked over under the carport and saw a shiny brand new can of starting fluid (Ether). A light bulb went off in my head. I grabbed the can and set it on the stump. I thought that it would probably just spray out in a controlled manner once pierced by my arrow. Lets face it, to a 10 yr old mouth-breather like myself, (Ether) really doesn't "sound" all that flammable. So, I went back into the house and got a 1 pound can of pyrodex (black powder for muzzle loader rifles). My intention was to sprinkle a little bit around the (Ether) can but it all sorta dumped out on me. No biggie, a 1 lb. pyrodex and 16 oz (Ether) should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker. You know what? I'm going back in the house for the other can. Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it out on the stump too. Now I am cookin'. I stepped back about 15 ft and lit the 2 stroke arrow. I drew the nock to my cheek and took aim. As I released I heard a clunk as the arrow launched from my bow. In a slow motion time frame, I turned to see my dad getting out of his truck... He just got home from work. OH SHOOT! So help me God, it took 10 minutes for that arrow to go from my bow to the can. My dad was walking towards me in slow motion with a WTF look in his eyes. I turned back towards my target just in time to see the arrow pierce the starting fluid can right at the bottom. Right through the main pile of pyrodex and into the can. Oh wow!!! When the shock wave hit, it knocked me off my feet. I don't know if it was the actual compression wave that threw me back or just my reflex jerk from 235 fricking decibels of sound. I caught a half a millisecond glimpse of the violence during the initial explosion and I will tell you there was dust, grass, and bugs all hovering 1 ft above the ground as far as I could see. It was a low fog layer full of grasshoppers, spiders, and worms. The daylight turned purple. Let me repeat this: THE FRICKING DAYLIGHT TURNED PURPLE. There was a big sweetgum tree out by the gate going into the pasture. Notice I said "was." That sumbich got up and ran off. So here I am, on the ground blown completely out of my shoes with my thundercats T-Shirt shredded, my dad is on the other side of the carport having what I can only assume is a Vietnam flashback: "ECHO BRAVO CHARLIE YOU'RE BRINGIN' EM IN TOO CLOSE!! CEASE FIRE. DAMN IT CEASE FIRE!!!" His hat has blown off and is 30 ft behind him in the driveway. All windows on the north side of the house are blown out and there is a slow rolling mushroom cloud about 2000 ft. over our backyard. There is a Honda 185 3-wheeler parked on the other side of the yard and the fenders are drooped down now, touching the tires. I wish I knew what I said to my dad at this moment. I don't know - I know I said something. I couldn't hear. I couldn't hear inside my own head. I don't think he heard me either... not that it would really matter. I don't remember much from this point on. I said something, felt a sharp pain, and then woke up later. I felt a sharp pain, blacked out again, woke up later... repeat this process for an hour or so and you get the idea. I remember at one point my mom had to give me CPR, and Dad screaming "Bring him back to life so I can kill him again!!!" Thanks Mom. One thing for sure... I never had to mow around that stump again. Mom had been complaining about that thing for years and dad never did anything about it. You gotta give me credit for stepping up to the plate and taking care of business. Dad sold his muzzle loader a week or so later. I still have some sort of bone growth abnormality, either from the blast or the beating, or both. I guess what I'm trying to say is, get your kids into archery. But only under close supervision. It will teach you parental responsibility.
  9. I am looking for a mid 60's Honda to redo. Honda Dream or another one that I think is called the Baby Dream. Also a CA200 Honda It had Honda 90 motor on it and the long front fender. thanks for any help or info on any for sale. My Dad gave me the CA200 when I was about 12 years old so that would probably be my first choice.
  10. friend of toms and he has been in a mvc in dublin ga and needs help call his dad bill at 508-997-5672 if info need ,please call
  11. Once there was a family who was given some venison by a friend. The wife cooked up the deer steaks, and served it to the husband and children. The husband thought it would be fun to have the children guess what it was that they were eating. "Is is beef?" The daughter Katie asked. "Nope." "Is it pork?" the son Willie asked. "Nope." "Heck, we don't know, Dad!" Willie exclaimed. "I'll give you a clue," the Dad said, "It's what your mom sometimes calls me." "Spit it out, Willie!" cried Katie, "We're eating a$$hole !!!
  12. Hard to believe you are 14 today. I'm sure your dad has a harder time believing it. Enjoy your day, maybe dad can take you for a ride. :Happy Birthday: :Happy Birthday: Margaret
  13. Just to let my VR family and friends know that my dad passed on today, the 16th anniversary of my mothers death. I was honoured to be able to have one last father's day with him yesterday and even though he wasn't awake I gave him a shave and I think he knew I was there. Dad has been in failing health for the last few months and although we knew his time was near, it doesn't make it any easier. He was 91 years old and he lived a long and full life.
  14. Is VentureDad still doing hitches? Need one.... Long Tall Lynchburg, VA
  15. Jiggy A young lad from Glovertown, Newfoundland goes off to University, but halfway through the semester he foolishly has squandered all of his money. He calls home. 'Dad,' he says, 'you won't believe what modern education is developing. They actually have a program here in St. John's that could teach our dog "Jiggy" how to talk.' 'That's amazing!' his Dad says 'How do I get Jiggy in that program?' 'Just send him in here with $1200,' the young lad says, 'I'll get him in the course.' So his father sends the dog "Jiggy" and $1200. About two-thirds through the semester, the money again runs out. The young lad calls home. 'So how's Jiggy doing, son?' his father wants to know. 'Awesome! Dad, he's talking up a storm. But you just won't believe this. They've had such good results with talking, they've begun to teach the animals how to read.' 'Read?!' exclaims his father. 'No kidding! How do we get our Jiggy in that program?' 'Just send $2300. I'll get him in the class for sure.' The money promptly arrives. But our hero has a problem. At the end of the year, his father will find out the dog can neither talk nor read. So he shoots the dog. When he arrives home at the end of the year, his father is all excited. 'Where's my Jiggy? I just can't wait to talk with him, and see him read something!' 'Dad,' the young lad says, 'I have some grim news. Yesterday morning, just before we left to drive home, Jiggy was in the living room, kicked back in the recliner, reading the Evening Telegram. Then he suddenly turned to me and asked, 'So, is your daddy still messing around with that little redhead working in the bakery at the grocery store?'' The father groans and whispers, 'I hope you shot that son of a b itch before he talks to your Mother!' 'I sure did, Dad!' 'That's my boy!' The kid went on to be a successful lawyer.
  16. This year's Motorcycle Ride for Dad for Vancouver Island is on this coming Sunday. Is anyone in the area besides me going to attend? Would be nice to hook up if possible.
  17. Yesterday was my fathers funeral and it was very moving to see how maney people came to say good by. It was speacially nice to see Marcarl (Carl) and Chabicheka (Abdul) make an appearance. I also Wish to thank all of you who through these past three months have prayed for my Father or sent their best wishes for Him. It all meant alot to me. During the funeral The priest came to me and asked if I would have a few words to say in honour of my Dad. Getting up and speaking in front of a lot off people was not something I am comfortable with but for some reason two nights before while taking a shower words started to pop into my head and stranger still I felt a need to write them down. Before going to the funeral I printed off the words I wrote and stuck them in my pocket. Lucky for me I did. I know it is not much but I would like to share these words with all of you. IN MEMORY OF my FATHER Dad was not just a Father and a Husband, He was more. He was the closest of friends, a teacher, and a mentor and when needed a firm hand. To our Mother he was even more. To Him Mom was his whole world. Dad’s life was not always easy but together with Mom, they always managed to somehow move forward and do the best they could. Dad was always big about values, such as honesty and integrity. He would always say that any job worth doing, was worth doing right. For me that meant to always try to put quality into any job I tackled. When I performed any type of construction or wood work, I could feel Dad judging my work and I suspect I always will. Dad however was not just about work. He was about closeness of family, nature and all living things. Some of my fondest memory’s are of Sunday hikes, up the old 16 mile creek, with one or more of the Airedale Terriers, that Dad raised and bred. There were the toboggan trips in winter, on one of Dads homemade sleds. If there were no hills handy leave it to Dad to make a dog harness to pull us up and down the road by one of the dogs. There were also the trips to dog shows, were Dad could be found often helping others with advice and tips to bring out the best in there dog, despite the fact that he would be competing against them in the show ring. I have seen dad on more than one occasion walk out of the ring with 1st prize saying that he did not deserve it, that one of the other dog, in his opinion, was better, and even go so far as to question the judge, on his decision. He was definitely a rare man. There were years worth of trips to Huntsville, where we had a trailer in the forest, by a spring fed lake, where we spent much time and where Dad always seemed to be happiest and at peace with himself. Dad was a big believer in passing it forward long before it became an expression. His biggest example is when after WWII he joined the marines to go to Indonesia to help free that country of invaders just as the allied forces helped free Holland from occupation. If you ever asked Dad to define war, he would say “”War is when men fought men, who under different circumstances could just as easily become good friends””. When he told stories about the war it was usually about tough times, sad times, and humorous times. Rarely did he talk about the most dreadful of times. I am not sure what the future will be like without Dad in it, but I do know he will be dearly missed by family and friends but never lost or forgotten.
  18. I would like to know and see who has been an inspiration for you to ride. Tell a story and post an old pic if you have one. I will start it out by posting a pic of my uncle in front of Shanklin's Diary in Marion Va where my Dad and all his brothers worked. He is on my Dad's bike and they use to tell me all kinds of wild stories.http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/etcswjoe/Linked/oldbike.jpg
  19. After going through all the entrants, judges finally decided on Dave, as Dad of the Year 2010.
  20. Watch right to the end..Unbelieveable!!! Watch the facial expressions on his face when he spots his Mom & Dad...Talented little guy Hit the link turn up your volume and enjoy!!!!!! http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/drummer.html
  21. Well, dad drove almost 800 miles (one way) to spend Thanksgiving with my family. It was an awesome time but I had an ulterior motive for him coming up. He's been a long time Venture rider, so I wanted his help installing my new trailer hitch and wiring, changing the oil, and just generally showing me around my new (to me) Venture. We had some good weather and my plan was successful. We got the trailer hitch installed, fabricated a bracket to hold the plug (see pics), installed the wiring harness for the trailer, changed the oil, blew out the air filters, added some seafoam to the gas, and he showed me some other areas of interest to pay attention to. Was a great visit and working in the shop with dad is ALWAYS a good time!
  22. Today and tomorrow is the National Capital Stage of the Ride for Dad. http://www.ridefordadanniversary.org/en/RideOverview.asp I was hoping to take part in both days but it looks like tomorrow will be the only day I can. If you can spare even $5 it would be appreciated and would help me meet my goal. you can donate via credit card. http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=923981[url=http://www.ridefordadanniversary.org/en/RideOverview.asp][/url] If I meet can my goal and do ride with them, I'll take pictures and post them. If not, they will be riding right past my home so I'll take pictures as they go by.
  23. I'm gonna be a Dad! We're Pregnant!
  24. Just got this from my Dad in Maine. http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/147837.html
  25. 1BigDog

Mom

Just to let my other family know and to ask for their prayers for her......my mother passed on Monday from a variety of complications. She finally had a heart attack and signed a DNR. She passed several hours later. The day before she had said that she had seen dad waiting for her. Guess I knew this was coming but you never really expect it to happen.......