Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. after reading some of the threads about the shocks I bought a gauge/pump and put air in shocks. 260 mile trip for lunch and icecream yesterday and what a differance putting air in the shocks made. No more jarring of the back everytime I hit a bump. I love this site.
  2. OK, i've read every post on the site regarding rear shocks, and they vary from 2005 to the present. Right now i'm looking for current info, based on opinion or actual experience--either will do...So of the three readily available aftermarket shocks, (not counting OEM, which is a piece of dog crap, no intent to insult dog crap) which is the best, and why? My research has revealed the following: Hagon. $469 YSS. $499 Works. $879 Figure $30 for shipping...OK, except for the obvious (hint, involves greenbacks) what breaks out one shock from the other? Why does the Works cost so damned much? Anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of these? Anyone know of any other shocks on the market? Thanks for the help, Fred
  3. OK, we all know that all of the model year Gen2 Ventures are pretty much the same. well, I'm fixin' to buy a new ignition switch and a new factory shock. Mine have both gone almost totally, splooey. Yes, I know there are probably better aftermarket units out there (Works, Hagon) but I feel that I need the adjustability that the factory air preload shock offers, so that's what I'm buying. Partshark has the lowest price that I've found, but. I'm finding two part numbers and two different prices. The Partshark diagram shows no vent hose before 2005. Those shocks show a price of $512.84. 2005 and after show the vent hose and a price of $434.50. Now to confuse things worse, one of the years showing the older part number, more expensive shock shows the newer part number at the higher price of the older part number shock. So, the question is....is there a difference between these two shocks and/or price. I don't think there is, and I'm thinking that Partshark has just listed the new updated part number with a wrong price. Why would the older non-vented style shock (if they even make that version any longer) be more expersive than the newer vented style?
  4. I was loading my bike and a friend told me not to tighten the tie downs until I was ready to leave which would be two days later, he said it would ruin the shocks. what is your thoughts on this?
  5. My 2005 RSTD Rear Shock is toast, and of course is out of warranty. The thought of having a works shock that can be rebuilt makes a lot of sense to me. My question is: Is there any of us second geners that switched from the stock that are sorry they gave up the air adjustable functionality of the stock shock? Also, does anyone know about how long a Works shock lasts before needing a rebuild? I also have noticed a wide variance of how long the stock shocks are lasting for different people. My RSTD has 13,000 miles on it. Has Yamaha corrected the problem with the replacement shocks? The guy at Works asked me if I pull a trailer. I currently do not and don't think that I will, but I did not think that I would have added a Venture trunk either, but I just did. If I add a trailer later, is this something that I can adjust for on the Works shock, or do i have to start over form the design process? Has any of us had any experience with this dilemma, or had the same questions and gotten answers?
  6. Is the shock on a 99 Venture the same as a shock on a 2005 RSTD?
  7. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this company's rear shock. I was searching around on the Internet and found that this company builds a shock that fits the Royal Star Venture. I wrote there U.S. dealer, Dave Quinn motorcycles in Conn. and promptly received this reply. Happy to help. Hagon makes shocks for 98 and up 1300 Venture Star with VIN prefix XVZ13TF or 4XY. Currently out of stock, can easily get, 2-4 weeks. Cost is $394 plus UPS at cost to you which will vary depending on your zip code. 'Off-the-shelf' shocks are assembled for an average rider- there is enough adjustability in the stock shock to cover a wide range of loading. It would be useful to know your weight, and whether you carry passengers (% of time? Passenger weight?) or luggage (saddlebags? tank bag? top box? loading in each?) and what your maximum loading (passenger/luggage) is likely to be. If Hagons determine that your loading exceeds the design parameters of the shock, they can supply to special order a shock with an uprated spring. Conversely if you are very light, Hagons can for some shocks supply a lighter spring. Softer and harder springs are available as custom built units only for $464 and will take between 4 and 6 weeks to get here. Shocks are also available to special order with a remote hydraulic spring preload adjuster- $554 for a stock spec shock and $624 for an upgraded spring model. Hagon monoshocks are fully rebuildable and feature straight weight spring with adjustable spring preload (threaded manual or hydraulic remote adjuster), adjustable 15 position LINKED compression and rebound damping (one adjuster for both) and a two year unlimited mileage warranty against failure due to manufacturing defect. Bent shocks due to accident, impact, dropped bike, improper installation or owner malfunction will not be warranteed. Shocks are not returnable once they have been fitted. All adjusting tools are included with the shock. You can see representative Hagon monoshocks online at http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/HAGON_MONOSHOCKS.html Shipping and insurance will be charged at cost and will vary depending on what you order, your zip code and any fuel surcharges in effect on the day your order ships. We ship by UPS in the continental USA, by Priority Mail to AK and HI and by US Mail Express International outside of the USA. For special orders we ask for a 50% good faith deposit when Hagons accept the order, with the balance due when we ship. Please note- Special orders are not returnable unless found to be defective. If you're interested in ordering, we accept VISA & Mastercard; we need: -name as it appears on your credit card -daytime phone number -billing address for the card -ship-to address if different -card number -expiration date. Call or Fax if you are uneasy about emailing credit card details. Let me know if I can offer you any other information. All the best, Maggie Dave Quinn Motorcycles 335 Litchfield Tpke Bethany CT 06524 USA 203-393-2651 FAX 203-393-1725 9-5 M T Th F 9-12 Sa dqmcs@earthlink.net www.davequinnmotorcycles.com 554.00 with a remote hydraulic adjuster sounds pretty good? Ron:stickinouttounge:
  8. Would had posted on the original thread by Skydoc but thought it would be best to start a new one. I have been considering purchasing the anti-dive blocking plates from Skydoc; essentially removing the anti-dives system from my 86. Can't really think of a good reason in doing so otherthan eliminating the needed power they require. Already have the Progressive springs installed. So, I have the following questions. 1) Does the anti-dive system draw any power when the front shocks aren't under an increasing load (diving)? 2) How much power does the anti-dive system draw when the front shocks dive (max draw)? 3) By making the front shocks stiffer which reduces the dive, doesn't that fact alone reduce the amount of juice the anti-dive system draws? 4) And I suppose that by eliminateing the anti-dive system, that doesn't eliminate the ability to use the CLASS up front (increase/decrease air pressure). 5) Last question. As all us 1st Gen owners know, whenever the rear brake is applied, which activates two 1157 stop light bulbs, is when the voltmeter really drops. Whether stopped or moving, activating the rear stop light affects the voltmeter the same. I've installed a couple really good bright 260 degree LED bulbs in the tail light and notice my voltmeter doesn't drop one little bit when activating the rear brake. Having said that, I doubt the anti-dive draws much at all. The question is: Could some convince me that removing the anti-dive is really a good idea?
  9. I run "0" PSI in my front shocks and have found that air pressure is building up in the shocks. The right shock seems to build up faster than the left and I do not understand why. I removed the air valve this morning and noticed oil on the valve. This is making me wonder if the oil seal is leaking and that is what is causing the air pressure to increase. Has anyone seen this before? Would this be a warrenty problem? I have an 06 RSV that was purchased in 07 so I still have some warrenty left. Thanks for the help.
  10. I'm making plans for some mods and/or upgrades this winter....auxiliary power, rear lights and etc.... I have read many valuable posts, made notes, saved pictures and etc. I extremely value and analyze the opinions of those that have "been there and done that"....this site has some very intelligent and sharing members....Thanks. Having and maintaining the proper air pressure in the front shocks is paramount for the RSV to handle consistently... in my opinion. The air volume in the front shocks, being so small, I drop the compressor tank pressure to 6psi, check and recheck, then air my front shocks.....very time consuming, but the most accurate way that I know. I did many searches, but have not found the answer to my "BRAINSTORM" sooo "HELP". I plan to use a quality 1/8 or 3/16 air line and fittings to tee and join the front shocks together, run the air line back to a saddlebag, where I will have the Progressive Pump and Pressure Gauge.......Will I need to use check valves to avoid issues in a curve...with the shocks teed together ??? I'm sitting...sooo.. YOUR OPINION ?? Thanks in advance:thumbsup2: Freddie
  11. I was looking for another rear shock for the bike and have found that Hagon Shocks make on for our bikes. They had some inventory and numbering issues so I did not end up with one but will order one next time I need to replace mine. They appear to be similar to the Works shock (coilover) and their price is $399. and I believe that is delivered. They were very nice to work with even with the part mix up. Here is his response after receiving my old shock. As I said, I do not have it on my bike so I can not report on it ride quality but these are also rebuildable. "I have measured your shock and confirmed we have an application for your Royal Star Venture.Part # is M62097.The length is 256mm/12mm x30mm top mount/12mmx37mm lower fork fitting.We have ordered one for our stock now." Billy Hamill Hagon Shocks 760.308.8124 760.510.2758 Fax Hagonshocks@yahoo.com www.hagonshocksusa.com
  12. Has anyone found a decent alternative to replace the stock rear shock on the RS Venture? This is the third one to go on me.
  13. what type and where is the adjustment for rear shocks on a 83 venture 1200:confused07:
  14. Greetings! I've noticed in the past few months that the front end of my '99 RSV has started dipping really far in the front whenever I stop. When I sit on the bike and push down on the handlebars I get almost no resistance and a lot more travel than it seem I should on the front shocks. I put 7lbs of air in the front shocks over 9 months ago, and just checked the pressure... still 7lbs. So, I assume by that there are no leaks. I did put on 15lbs of weight, but I hope I don't have to get on the treadmill to keep the front end from diving every time I stop. Any ideas?
  15. Had a great ride to Sturgis but after I got there the seal on the shock died and dumped the oil. I think it was the age and the heat that killed it (99 RSV). So now is the question, do I buy a Yamaha factory replacement, the Ebay coilover or the the coilover from a company from UK ( Hagon Shocks). The Hagon shocks are preload adjustable and a 25 click dampening user adjustable for $399 (plus shipping). Has anyone heard of Hagon Shocks? Thanks, Wayde:95:
  16. just curious to see what everybody was setting their shocks at. I ride solo and was running about 20 in the rear, and 5 in front. Am I close to what everybody else is running
  17. I have removed the rear suspension linkage including the shock from a spare frame and from my "I hope to ride some day soon" bike. Here are the questions: 1) Please help me find the posts about putting a grease nipple on them! 2) Between both shocks if they are both working , which one is better. 3) OK stupid question: How much play is too much play!! I have attached some pics for your viewing pleasure
  18. I'm needing to replace the shocks on my sidecar, simple coilover is fine, current length is about 11 - 11.5 inch and I have evidence that what is on there, whatever that is, is not quite adequate. Can someone give me information on how to determine what I need?
  19. Hi Everyone, I have a 1984 Venture Royale that has had a slow leak in the system for several years! I loose 50% in 30 to 45 min. (front and back shocks). I have soaped all the lines,, and I do not see any signs of a leak!! Has anyone had this same problem?? Thanks, Steve
  20. what are the pressures that I should have in the front and rear shocks? Riding empty and alone and with a passenger?
  21. So is this the type pump I will need to get the best results for my shocks/forks? Thanks http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400071415229&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
  22. So who out there can help me find a pump to adjust the air in my shocks? I read somewhere that it needs to be a certain type to be able to add and remove the PSI Thanks
  23. If anyone has a take-off shock from the RSV that they would consider donating, please let me know. It will be analyzed and probably taken apart and I wouldn't expect it to be returned, but we may end up with a good alternative to the Works shock to replace the Yamaha OEM shock on the 2nd gens. It would be good to have another option, right? Anyway, I have a contact who has a suspension shop and he has done some great work building shocks for other bikes (Ducati, KLR650, DR650, SV650, and Honda TransAlp). He is located in North Carolina and is well respected in the road racing and dual sport community. This is a small family business and he rides and races bikes himself. I have one of his "moab" custom shocks on my KLR650 and I love it. Everyone who has one has nothing but praise for the work that he has done giving the 400+ pound pig some manners in the dirt. He can't promise anything, but when I talked to him about my failing shock and the replacement options (oem and Works afaik) we discussed the possability of him coming up with a replacement. He would need to examine an oem shock to determine what he can do and what he would recommend. I believe that if he was able to build a replacement, it would be a good one! There is also a chance he could come up with a modification or re-manufacturing process for the oem shocks. It all depends on him getting a look at the oem shock. Thanks! James
  24. Okay, now for a dumb question. I just purchased a 2005 RSTD and I have no idea how to adjust the shocks. The previous owner lost the manual and I checked the bike out and cannot find any clue as to how to physically introduce air into the shocks, both the front and rear. Can anyone answer this simple question for me? Thanks!
  25. Hey guys, Does anyone know where there is a 1300 rear shock for a Venture Royale? I'm helping a friend out with a 83 standard and I had forgotten how bad these rear shocks are. It's my suggestion that he replace it with a coilover off a Royale. Any ideas, Rick