Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. Check out the current Rider magazine, July 2012 edition. It has an interesting article as to why you should not use car tires on motorcycles. It also has a quote from John Mosby, a representative of Kumho tires, "Kumho passenger car tires are not made to absorb the reduced contact patch of high camber angles that motorcycle tires frequently experience. Because of this durability can be affected by operating at such high camber angles, which can lead to tire failure. We strongly discourage anyone from using Kumho passenger car tires on their motorcycle." It's a very informative article including detailed pictures and talks about in the event of a crash... will he be the target of a costly lawsuit because he fit his motorcycle with tires not designed or intented for motorcycle use and may have contributed to the crash. "Are the few dollars saved by turning to a car tire outweighed by the potential loss of a house and whatever dollars may be squirreled away for retirement?" I thought this was a very interesting read... i couldn't find it on their website, but please try to find it and read it. i know this probably won't sway the darkside believers... because.. well..
  2. Was reading an old thread about the Kumho Wobble: http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50114&highlight=kumho+wobble I recently put a Kumho on and have the wobble at 75mph. I'm going to adjust the air pressure before I try other things. Looks like air pressure, suspension part replacement, and tightening things up solved this for most folks. Any other solutions?
  3. I found a Kumho while visiting my Bro in Kissimmee, FL... I had to pay $82 for it but this will be my 3rd Kumho and should be good for 20,000 miles... http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/kumho/size/submitZipCode.do?ar=80&rd=15&cs=165&postalCodeSelected=34747
  4. Leaving work last friday the Venom on the rear was flat. Local dealer quotes for new Avon were $190 for the tire, then $25 to $100 for mounting. and they didnt offer to blow-in-my-ear for that price.... with 112,000 on the 07 RSV have been thru Bridgestone, Metzler, Michelin and Avon (my favorite so far). long story short -last weekend I dropped by Harbor freight for a motorcycle bead breaker, motorcycle wheel balancer and weights. cycle gear for tire spoons, then Discount tire for a Kumho. all totaled - $209. Then i fabricated a hitch-mounted tire changing "stand".. nothing fancy.. an old car rim, some steel box tube and left over fish-tank air hose (split lengthwise and siliconed around to the top of the rim). Last night I began the manual swap- not as difficult as i'd thought it would be. (swipped better-halfs' liquid dishwashing soap from under the sink) Pumped to 70 lbs it just wouldn't "pop".. stopped there - just not comfortable with pushing 100 lbs in there. will let it bake all day in the Arizona sun -s/b 91degrees today. hopefully that'll do the trick. From what i've read - appears 30 - 35 lbs makes the Kumho feel most comfortable... appreciate any feedback on tire pressures & break-in (other than the "it can be kinda slippery for the first couple hundred miles")..
  5. Attempted to install a VREDESTEIN T-TRAC TIRES SKU: VREDESTEIN T-TRAC TIRES-V1776 165/80R15 87 T that I purchased on at http://www.tiresbyweb.com for $126. It has a nice round shoulder to it along with a nice tread design. While installing the tire, the sidewall blew out somewhere between 80 and 100psi. After changing underwear, I found a Kumho powerstar 758 165/80-15 at a local Discount tire (they had a lot of them). It went on at 80 psi. We used a tube in the Kumho to reinforce the sidewall. I'm thinking this might be a good idea for any tire where there is difficulty inflating. I'm also using Dyna Beads to balance the tire, so putting dynabeads in a dry tube as opposed to an over lubed tire has merit. I am considering doing this with all of my car tire intallations. In looking at the inflation, it appeared that the tube helped to push the tire inflation "out" rather than "up". I might try the VREDESTEIN again with Tube. But now that I know where to get Kumhos, I am leaning toward sticking to these. I've used them on my VT1100 before with success. It's a good reliable car tire for bikes that need a 165. The ride and handling is very similar to the motorcycle tire. In fact, if you stand up the Kumho next to the MC tire that just came off, you will notice a similar shape....ie flat top.
  6. I have a used (10k miles) Kumho tire that was on my used 2009 Venture when I bought it in September 2010. I replaced it with a MC tire. Tire is in fine shape and has been sitting in my carport since then. If you are in my area (mid-SC) and would use the tire for yourself, come get it. I figure a fair barter would be a 12 pack of cold bottled Bud. Tire should be good to let you know if you want to go dark side with little investment. Or good if you want to get the remaining 20k miles or so. Look on the classifieds under 2nd generation parts for my post. Mike G in SC mikeginsc@bellsouth.net Lugoff, SC, off I-20, exit 92
  7. Has anyone found a Kumho as of late? I am having a hard time locating a 160/80 r15 How do folks like the federal? I can't take the 400-5000 I am getting on an M/C anymore.
  8. It's over now... Went to pick up a 165/80R - 15 kumho tire at tire discount in jackson OHIO and they said there were none to be had in their warehouses because of the strike in Korea. Looked it up on the internet when I got back and it says the strike is now over... they had been fighting about a month... Passenger car tires are gonna start up first so we should be able to get some fresh ones shortly! :mo money:Although a little more expensive? "The darkside is strong with this one"
  9. I am fighting with a high speed wobble on my RSV with a Kumho rear tire. Before I remove the Kumho & throw it away, I want to try a Tall Winshield in place of the short one I have on there now. Does anyone have a Tall Windshield in a corner collecting dust that they can part with cheaply. I don't want to spend a lot of money to check this out, because I probably will be buying a replacement rear tire soon. Anyone? Email and/or PM me please. Thanks; John B.
  10. Just letting you darksiders know that my quike rides much better :happy34:with the Kumho on the rear. Definetely runs the bends, and corners better. :happy65:
  11. I really don't understand all the comments about the kumho on a Venture. I know that 150 miles isn't much of a test run ( compared to 1000 miles or so) but I can hardly tell there's something different on the rear of the bike. I know I don't ride like some on here, I'm really laid back and the 150 miles we rode today took almost 5 hours including a nearly 1 hour stop for lunch and ice cream. I guess in my part of Ohio we are blessed with miles and miles of state and county roads that have twisties as well as some pretty nice hills and can be biked at 30 to 50 mph without the fear of being run over by traffic. Bottom line, the Kumho will probably develop dry rot before it wears out
  12. I need a Kumho 165/80R15 and am looking for outlets - I've had one on order from JC Whitney for almost a month, 'bout ready to give up on them. Thanks
  13. are needed for a kumho tire ( 165/80R15 ) ? Anybody have any experience with this yet ?
  14. Just thought if any were interested this is the federal, but they have the kumho when in stock. I went ahead and ordered the Federal,
  15. First couple pix are the MC tire after 3000 miles.The next ones are the KUMHO mounted on the bike.
  16. Ahhh, Leaving on a trip Thursday for a few and also next week. I ordered the car tire and the jerks at Tire easy never e-mailed confirmation or answered a phone.....Heck I need a tire so I have to run 60 miles and pay $199 for an elite II due to the time frame. I get home and sitting at my door is the Kumho tire??? Now that's a pain in the ass... With business prep I can't mount this tire (time) and have it scheduled for a morning install locally. I sure liked the look of the kumho and am sure the $199 + Tax tire is going back to the dealer (I hope). I wish Tire Easy had communicated or kept their site updated. It would have saved me 1/2 a day today and 1/2 on the return....Sometimes it just gets complicated:doh:
  17. Just a little background.... I ran Car tires on my 2005 wing for 30000 miles or more and loved it.... So I had researched before buying the 2009 Venture. Heard a lot of folks on here talking about the Avon and Kumho so I decided I would "like" them on mine.....Not a chance.....Not only do I " like" this tire combo...I "Love" them. The ride is drastically greater. The handling is superb compared to the previous with the Bridgestone Bias tires. If you are on the fence about this .....Jump on board....JMHO
  18. gunboat

kumho

hi folks i will be changing out the bfg for a kumho in the morning. finaly wore the bfg down to the wear bars ( just over 30,000 miles ). funny thing is the edges still look like new. kaby is coming over in the am to help. ponch will also be here to help me install one of his gauge sets. i am a lucky man to have these two great vr members help me with this little project. i will be looking at a avon corbra to install on the front soon. i installed a metzeler 880 just before going the '08 international rally last year. by my notes i got 22,000 miles on it. i realy like the 880 ( have got great service & no handling issuses with it) but will give the avon a try. best reguards don c.
  19. Here are a few pics of the work that got done on Gunboats ride this last Sat. Ponch installed a great set of gages and Don and myself ( Ponch helped also ) mounted up his new Kumho rear tire...balancing these will make you pull your hair out... http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/kbay116/Gunboat%20gages/
  20. Well, the Kumho was a champ on the Dragon last week. I rode from Dallas to Vogel at high speeds, in rain, at low speeds, on interstates, on back roads, and on the twisties. I had absolutely no issues with wobbling and/or tar snakes. Cornering was great. I am settled in at 38 psi for now. It seems to be a good pressure for me.
  21. I just came back from a nice ride South on State Route 43 in Ohio. We went from Malvern thru Carrollton and down to Amsterdam. There are some really nice twisties in the 47 mile round trip and all were equipped with tar snakes. I happy to report that conditions were such that the snakes were of no consequence to affect riding at all. The temperature was 75 plus and the snakes were all older ( as in not recent) but I couldn't feel them at all. I starting to REALLY like my KUMHO !!
  22. Has anyone run the Kumho higher than 44psi? I like the tire until I get into a turn hard then I feel like I'm driffting on a dirt bike. Just wondering if more air will stiffen the side wall up or is this just part of the darkside you have to live with?
  23. Monday I had my Kumho installed on the bike, rode home and was working on a 6' ladder, made a misstep off the ladder and really caused myself some pain Well, that shut down riding for all of this week even tho we had some really nice weather. Monday I go in for a cataract removal in my right eye. There goes another week or so of being grounded Hopefully in another 10 days or so I'll be able to give the Kumho a good tryout. Almost forgot, a good thing has come of it all. I ordered side reflector/led"s for the front and rear. Got plenty of time to mount and get them fitted right.
  24. This is my second RSV with car tire, 2004 white, I have put 500 miles on it in the past few days. LIke it much better than the nexum. The ride is 1000% better than the brickstone that was on the back. And when aggressively taking curves, the car tire does not have that slipping feels that a bike tire has ( I feel like I am tring to perform drifting, especially on the bricks). I put her through a curve near my house that is 6 degree, reverse incline, smooth e-mix pavement. scraped the floorboards above 70 mph with no rear end slip. Otherwise I can not tell any difference in handling slow speed, high speed, I just don't find any drawbacks with the kumho. I am not trying to sway anybody to a car to each his own, just reports my observations. Freedon of the road for all. Gregg
  25. Well I ordered Kumho 195/55/16 Run Flat for my Gold Wing, It will be here tomorrow. Looking forward to testing this CT out when we have the Rally in August. From what I read and the comments here,I bit the bullet and bought the Kumho. If Its anything like mounting runflats on car wheels I know I will not like it that much . Garage just bought a new tire maching at work so I will give it a try, it is one of those fancy mounting machine. Let every one know how things turn out.... Buddy