IGNORED

High Beam = Blown Fuse

Recently my 05 RSV has taken on the habit of blowing the headlight fuse whenever I switch to high beam. I was hoping some of you guys could give me some suggestions as to where to start.

Thanks for your help. You guys are a weath of knowledge.

I would start checking the wiring from the bulb inside the fairing and work back from there. Sounds like there's a pinched or grounded wire on the high beam circut.

The problem could also be in the left switch housing with the rocker switch itself.

Proper sized fuse?

:080402gudl_prv:

Larry

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure the fuse is correct. It worked fine for the two years I had the bike. Which does kind lend weight to the wire chafing theory. I had the fairing and the passing light bar off last winter, perhaps I put the wiring harness back in a bad position.

Probably not the issue... but while you have the fairing off, try a different headlight bulb. Never know.... could be a simple fix.... but also leaing towards it being a pinched wire (check wires where they go thru the headlight bucket too).

I have had a burned out bulb do that to me. Check that bulb out.

I have learned to carry a spare bulb at all times, wrapped in bubble wrap, they always burn out at night where there are no street lights. This would be a good time to get that spare bulb to carry.

I do have passing lights, and it is the EOM bulb. I do make a habit of running on high beam during the day. I have recently done some reading that a lot of bulbs don't have a long life expectancy on high. Have to wonder if that is true of the OEM bulb as well.

This question may show my ignorance of electrical stuff, but if it’s a short in the wiring, and I disconnect the bulb entirely, should it still blow the fuse? Seems like that might be an easy and cheap way to tell if it’s the wire, or the bulb.

This question may show my ignorance of electrical stuff, but if it’s a short in the wiring, and I disconnect the bulb entirely, should it still blow the fuse? Seems like that might be an easy and cheap way to tell if it’s the wire, or the bulb.

Taking the bulb out will tell you for sure it's either it or the wiring downstream. So if there's a problem with wiring and bulb is out it will still blow fuses.

Larry

Just my :2cents:, but I have a circuit breaker, from Autozone, that will plug into the fuse block. I found it a lot cheaper than constantly blowing fuses in the troubleshooting phase. Once you correct the problem, unplug the circuit breaker and install the proper fuse.

Another trick is to hook a 12v light bulb in place of the fuse. Then as long as the bulb is lit, you still have a short to ground. When the light goes out, you have broken the short.

Not REALLY :no-no-no: :no-no-no::no-no-no: recommended, but if you get completely frustrated, you can use the smoke test. Put a large piece of copper wire in place of the fuse and turn on the ignition, Where the smoke stops is where the short is..... :shock3::shock3::shock3::shock3::shock3:

Hey it's a JOKE!!!

I knew you were joking before you said so, but I did run across some really sketchy advice presented as a viable option on another site. This guy said just put in a much higher rated fuse and then when it blows all you have to do is look for the melted wires, and there’s your problem. I think I’ll save that for my last option.

Turns out my problem isn’t the headlight, and more intermittent than I had though. It blew while in low beam on the way home, and right now sitting in my garage its working fine in both low and high beam. So it’s an intermittent vibration induced thing I think. I guess it’s time to dig in and start looking around.

The circuit breaker idea is a good one.

I had split the fairing and susiquently had to lower the light bar. Well I guess the wires got pulled out of the nesting place and sure enough got into the steering lock tab. I happened to have it one and was turning in garage and "pop" lights out. Thats where the thing got pinched. I have since rerouted them and wraped them.

Yep, that was exactly the problem. I found that it would pop the fuse whever I turned the wheel to the right. That was a big clue. Just as has happened to several of you guys, the passing lamp wire bundle was getting pinched in the steering head stops.

A little wire repair and application of electrical tape, along with a strategically placed zip tie to prevent a future reoccurance, and I am good to go. Although now that I have the fairing split I'm going to turn the cassette player into a "glove compartment", and attach my previously purchased Buddy Rich cable.

I thank you all for the good advice.

My passing lights have bullit connectors at the bottom of the fairing where the light bar hooks in. When its apart would be a good time to put a piece of heat shrink over it to fix it good. I had to solder a couple wires up and heat shrink it on mine.