Content 0 Files 0
Content Files
Links 64 Ads 0
Links Ads
More...

Old 07-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Expired Membership

Default voyager trike problems

Hi I'am new to biking bought a 2003 royal star venture with a voyage kit on it.Had all kind of problems with it.I took it to a voyage dealer he relined it back up and tighten loose bolts.He said wheels were toed in more then likly from voyage.He corrected that problem,however in some curves it's hard hard hard to handle.I talk to three trike builders in our area .They tell me voyage trike kits are real problem.That not much can do for them. That even a product like ez steer won't help. I live in cleveland tn. so roads are windy.I was told by two trike builders not to wast anymore money. The problem is the three wheels work against each orther in a tight turn, no why to slove this.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:04 PM
99 rsv,99rsvm/t
steamer has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

I had the voyager kit on my RSV.It takes a while to get the setup right.First thing is to make sure it is centered.Then you have to play with the pre-load. I found that if you increase the pre-load to 3/4 inch, it works really well on our bikes. This is very important,MAKE SURE THERE IS ON AIR PRESSURE IN THE REAR SHOCK when setting the pre-load. after setting the pre-load pump up the shock as desired. My bike handled much better when set up this way. another thing is the trike tire pressure,I set mine to around 15psi. You can play with this to improve the ride and handling. as for the loose nuts,use locktite.
The Following User Says Thank You to steamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 09:09 PM
99 rsv,99rsvm/t
Supporting Member

One thing I forgot to mention, The voyager trike kit now handles all most as good as my Motortrike venture. All trike builders will tell you the samething about the voyager kits. After all they want to convert your bike to a trike.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Expired Membership

Default voyage trike problems

Thanks for the information .Did you change the rake?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Godspeed our Friend
Supporting Member

hi larry
i have a '99 motor trike w/o the rake kit. i have installed 1" & 1/2 risers on the handle bars. this seams to help with the steering. i have drove it in the texas hill country
on the 3-sisters (fm's 337,336,and 335) some of the best twisties in the state. with no big problems. there are post's here about changing the handle bars out to flanders or td's. the rake kit from haggan is $1,000. and rakes the front end out another 6" for a total of 12".
carbon one (larry) and other trike riders say this is the best mod to do on the trike to help with steering ( like having power steering ).
don c.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Default Voyager trike kit

I HAD TROUBLE WITH MY VOYAGER TRIKE KIT AND HAD TO HAVE IT ADJUSTED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TIMES. I FINALLY MADE A PIECE FOR EITHER SIDE THAT BOLTS TO THE SIDE OF THE BIKE AND TO THE FRAME OF THE KIT. THIS TOOK CARE OF MY PROBLEMS AND IT RIDES LIKE A TRIKE WITH A STRAIGHT AXLE NOW. THERE'S NOT MUCH LEAN IN CURVES, AND IT'S A GOOD BALANCED RIDE . I WILL BE GLAD TO SEND YOU PICTURES IF YOU GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:52 AM
90 Goldwing TriKing Trike
Pegasus1300 has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Has anyone who has tried a voyager kit also put a car tire on with the kit? Seems like a logical addition to me.You aren't going to lean much if any and you would get a better/wider contact patch for power delivery/breaking.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:30 AM
Expired Membership

thanks fishrepair email is lawrencewaibel@yahoo.com
Old 07-23-2011, 05:42 AM
Expired Membership

thanks happy trails i have a car tire on back of bike.i was told it should come off.the car tire is flat surface therefore with the voyager tires being flat sureface they work against each orther in turning.that also they don't stop as good mostly on wet road . i was told never put one on front of bike .that they could kill you on wet surface.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:36 AM
99 rsv,99rsvm/t
Supporting Member

If you install the ez steer on the voyager you better not plan on removing the trike kit and ride 2 wheels.It will not handle worth a darn.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Expired Membership

Put close to a 1000 miles on last week.I went to ky. Stearns and Cumberland falls.Then took 25 back to tn.I had problems three times on turns that worried me. I order risers for handel bars. THANKS TO ALL for help
Old 07-27-2011, 04:33 PM
99 rsv,99rsvm/t
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat View Post
hi larry
i have a '99 motor trike w/o the rake kit. i have installed 1" & 1/2 risers on the handle bars. this seams to help with the steering. i have drove it in the texas hill country
on the 3-sisters (fm's 337,336,and 335) some of the best twisties in the state. with no big problems. there are post's here about changing the handle bars out to flanders or td's. the rake kit from haggan is $1,000. and rakes the front end out another 6" for a total of 12".
carbon one (larry) and other trike riders say this is the best mod to do on the trike to help with steering ( like having power steering ).
don c.
Hey Don, does your's pull a tad to the right when riding on secondary roads?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Godspeed our Friend
Supporting Member

hi bob
can't realy say about the pull to the right on secondary roads as of yet. but will keep and eye out. i do have a slight lean to the right on level ground but i need to check the ladder bar's for proper ajustment.
don c.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 AM
01 RSV Yellow Trike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat View Post
hi bob
can't realy say about the pull to the right on secondary roads as of yet. but will keep and eye out. i do have a slight lean to the right on level ground but i need to check the ladder bar's for proper ajustment.
don c.

Don; this link is for the GL1800 MT Trike, but the Ladder Bar System is the same concept on all of their kits. The adjustments should be similar if not the same. The Safety Bar up front, and the Lateral Brace adjustments are the same as far as play goes. Maybe it will help in some areas on your Trike. I wrote it in 08, and there are addendum's that haven't been added, but they are for their new IRS which is an entirely different system.

http://www.junkmaster.com/kj5ix/MTServiceManual.pdf
Old 05-06-2012, 05:35 PM
97 HD Sportster 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrepair View Post
I HAD TROUBLE WITH MY VOYAGER TRIKE KIT AND HAD TO HAVE IT ADJUSTED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TIMES. I FINALLY MADE A PIECE FOR EITHER SIDE THAT BOLTS TO THE SIDE OF THE BIKE AND TO THE FRAME OF THE KIT. THIS TOOK CARE OF MY PROBLEMS AND IT RIDES LIKE A TRIKE WITH A STRAIGHT AXLE NOW. THERE'S NOT MUCH LEAN IN CURVES, AND IT'S A GOOD BALANCED RIDE . I WILL BE GLAD TO SEND YOU PICTURES IF YOU GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.
Hi,
I am also having problems with my voyager kit on a HD Sportster. Could you send me the picture of what you did.
Thanks,
smithrogerw76@aol.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0048.jpg (63.1 KB, 44 views)