NEW GUY(to this forum) QUESTION:

2005 Royal Star Tour Deluxe owner, tired of paying dealer big bucks to change oil.

Can anyone direct me to instructions on doing it myself? Is there a place on this website?

HOW DO I CHANGE MY OIL??

Bruce Lamarche

Glendora, CA

Welcome to the group!

I ride a 1st generation Venture (or G1) so I am not exactly sure whats involved when doing an oil change on your scoot. your bike is a 2nd gen or G2 Venture but I am thinking most of the oil change info is probably here http://labs.trunkful.com/vrmanuals/index.cfm where all of the Venture manuals are available for download.

I am sure some G2 guys will be along shortly.

Brian

Welcome to the site.

Oil plug is a 17mm under the bike, oil filter located to the front of bike, center behind the lower cowlings, but cowlings do not have to be removed.

I use a oil filter wrench to loosen and spin off by hand.

To fill, there is a cap to remove, when sitting on the bike, almost straight down by right leg.

Filter I use is a Bosch 3323 bought at Autozone. 3.5 quarts of oil. Do a search and you will find lots of opinions on which oil. currently using shell T6 found at Wal-Mart or Autozone.

Welcome to the site.

Oil plug is a 17mm under the bike, oil filter located to the front of bike, center behind the lower cowlings, but cowlings do not have to be removed.

I use a oil filter wrench to loosen and spin off by hand.

To fill, there is a cap to remove, when sitting on the bike, almost straight down by right leg.

Filter I use is a Bosch 3323 bought at Autozone. 3.5 quarts of oil. Do a search and you will find lots of opinions on which oil. currently using shell T6 found at Wal-Mart or Autozone.

I would add that you may want to find a 2 by 4 to set the kickstand on to get the bike level when doing an oil change to get as much oil out of the pan as possible.(also handy for checking oil in the sight glass)

your bike may feel a bit upright but if youre careful your bike will not tip over, it should still feel stable.

Brian

I would add that you may want to find a 2 by 4 to set the kickstand on to get the bike level when doing an oil change to get as much oil out of the pan as possible.(also handy for checking oil in the sight glass)

your bike may feel a bit upright but if youre careful your bike will not tip over, it should still feel stable.

Brian

I change my oil in the driveway, so the wife doesn't get too mad. There's a tree there that I then secure the left handlebar to via strap. With the bike fully upright , there's no way it can fall on me.

:thumbsup2:

Takes all of 10 minutes, of which 8 minutes is drinking a cup of coffee while watching the oil drip out.

A gallon of Rotella T6 synth plus SuperTech ST7317 filter from Walmart $22

I can usually remove the old filter by hand, but may need a special filter wrench to remove it. I use one of kind that looks like a large pair of pliers and don't care if it crushes the sides when I'm removing the old filter. new filter on hand tight.

Put all of the gallon in except for about a pint, and the level should be just right.

• 4 months later...

One of the guys mentioned not to put the whole gallon of oil in.

This is pretty important, the manual says 4 quarts but the bike only will need about 3 and 1/2 quarts.

Site glass on the right side of the engine, half way between the marks while holding the bike straight up should be fine.

Good Luck,

BOO

• 2 years later...

Brian

Loosen the oil plug and the oil filter first...set kickstand on the 2x4....then remove oil plug and oil filter.

I use a measuring cup for putting in the last 1/2 quart of oil to prevent putting too much oil into the scoot.

Boomer....who sez it helps to put a wide oil pan under the bike BEFORE you remove the oil drain plug and oil filter....:whistling:

Loosen the oil plug and the oil filter first...set kickstand on the 2x4....then remove oil plug and oil filter.

I use a measuring cup for putting in the last 1/2 quart of oil to prevent putting too much oil into the scoot.

Boomer....who sez it helps to put a wide oil pan under the bike BEFORE you remove the oil drain plug and oil filter....:whistling:

Depends on where you are....:whistling:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Crush washers are as good Item to put on "the" list, so when you need a little something to complete an order to get to the minimum $ ammount to get free shipping. I keep a running list of such items, anything you know your gonna need. why not I'm all for "free" shipping.

• 5 months later...

What is the size of the crush washer and how do you know if you need a new one?

Crush washers are as good Item to put on "the" list, so when you need a little something to complete an order to get to the minimum $ ammount to get free shipping. I keep a running list of such items, anything you know your gonna need. why not I'm all for "free" shipping.