IGNORED

Missouri Swinging Bridges ride

bryan52577

Just wanted to share our trip. Went down around Osage Beach area of Missouri to ride some "Swinging" bridges. They were all on gravel roads, but not bad riding. Just makes more clean and polish for me. :whistling:

Bridges were all built by Joe Dice. Joe built 30 swinging bridges but only 4 remain. None have collapsed- "we were told" -they were just replaced by a more modern bridge. :mo money: All the bridges were built very similar and all have cables just like you see in the pictures. A bunch of straight large gauge wires banded together that have stood the test of time for almost 100 years. And at least one still has the school bus cross it! YIKES :yikes:

Also went to the Cave restaurant for lunch. What a neat place, food is good, bit pricier than we like, but you pay for the experience too. And the kid with the "shuttle van" ......... All I can say is HOLD ON! :yikes: WOW, what a ride! :bowdown: LOL Far as I'm concerned food was free, I paid for the ride! WOO HOO! :sign woo hoo:

When we stopped I asked if we landed or were we shot down? (Got a chuckle out of everyone.) :rotfl:

Hope you enjoy.

Bryan

Wow the pictures are neat Looks like a great place to go. But the only way to get Peggy on one of those bridges is to tie her up and blindfold her...

Hey wait that gives me an Idea!:lightbulb:

Thanks for sharing.

I've lived in MO my whole life and there used to be 3 of those over the Gasconade river near our farm. One had a curve in the middle and occasionally in the summer, when you couldn't see the other end one vehicle would have to back off the bridge to allow the other to cross. They looked just like the ones pictured.

The cave. now a restaurant, was once on our family's property. My grandparents went on their 1st date to a dance in the cave.

Thanks for the memories.

Wow the pictures are neat Looks like a great place to go. But the only way to get Peggy on one of those bridges is to tie her up and blindfold her...

Thanks for sharing.

Whoa! Some things should not be discussed on a family site, or even suggested. Pervert!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Thanks for sharing.

If you notice the first two bridges Lisa said NO YOU GO. Well then the third she had to go on to get to the fourth, the longest, and the wood plank with BIG 6 and 8 inch gaps between some of the planks. (She was holding me so tight I was not sure I could breath in before the other side!) LOL :pushups: Then we went under neath and she saw all the busted planks, cables, and braces that were busted and bolts that fell out. ........ The Doctor says my bruises will heal. :thumbsup2: But what a ride! :sign woo hoo:

Thanks for the comments,

Bryan

You are too funny!!!:rotfl::crackup:Loved the pix. Gary and I take the boy's to Kentucky at the end of next week, and Gary would like to come home through Missouri. When I first saw your post, I thought, oh man....we gotta do that, but after seeing the pix of the steel, I don't think I'm even going to tell the hubby about it.

Looks like a great ride.

Just for the fun of it.....how many miles of gravel did you have to travel on. Dane just bought a new bike, so I don't think I could talk him into driving on much gravel.

Tell Lisa hi and I have a new respect for her bravery!!!

You are too funny!!!:rotfl::crackup:Loved the pix. Gary and I take the boy's to Kentucky at the end of next week, and Gary would like to come home through Missouri. When I first saw your post, I thought, oh man....we gotta do that, but after seeing the pix of the steel, I don't think I'm even going to tell the hubby about it.

Looks like a great ride.

Just for the fun of it.....how many miles of gravel did you have to travel on. Dane just bought a new bike, so I don't think I could talk him into driving on much gravel.

Tell Lisa hi and I have a new respect for her bravery!!!

Deb,

Have fun in Kentucky, we been there a few of times and always have found great roads.

As for miles of gravel, I would say all the bridges are with in 2 miles of a pavement / blacktop road. Some of the best riding is just getting to the gravel roads. #52 just winds around and goes up and down. We loved them!

The biggest is just west of Brumley, Missouri on "Swinging Bridges Road" (of course) just over a mile off highway # 42.

We hit it last and glad we did cause it will spoil you. It is the longest, and the best. + there are two bridges right there, small one first, then the Grand one.

Bryan