VentureRider.Org Ace High Leathers  

Home Venture History Classifieds Links VRAwards VRPhotos VRChat VRStore Donate
Go Back   VentureRider.Org > Tech Talk > Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk

User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Mini Stats
Members 12,703 Entries 0
Members Entries
Threads 52,216 Reviews 0
Threads Reviews
Posts 622,173 Polls 45
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 0
Content Files
Links 64 Ads 0
Links Ads
More...
Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Expired Membership

Default Passing Lamps and Lightbar help

I am ordering items for my winter projects and need some help. I have read the threads involving passing lamps and understand how to install, but here is where my dumbness comes in. I have an 06 beautiful black tour deluxe with a straight light bar which the turn signals connect horizontal at the ends. I want to add passing lamps but am confused. Every site I look at to order the lights and mounts show a curved light bar. Do I have to purchase this light bar? or do they make lights for the straight one? If so, do the passing lights come with the turn signals that hang underneath or am I suppose to do something with the stock ones. I just want to buy something and can't figure this out. It looks to me like the turn signals that are on the ends now would come out and the passing lights would go in there place, but I don't know. Really need help in buying. I just bought kromewerks slip on and want to buy all the lights, including Led for the rear, and possibly engine lights and want to have everything so I can do all the electric at one time with taking the saddlebags and gas tank off. I appreciate any help.
Thanks
Walt
Old 10-13-2009, 09:16 PM
2004 RSV (Bluish White)
relic has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

The curved light bar accomodates the new driving lights and you use your existing signals.They attach below the driving lights.
The straight bar you have now is removed.I have attached a picture of mine that are yamaha's driving lights and the bar came with them as a set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike and trailer 5.jpg (49.1 KB, 134 views)
Old 10-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Expired Membership

Thanks John, where did you buy your set and is one set better than another?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Expired Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakers View Post
Thanks John, where did you buy your set and is one set better than another?
I attached my (non-factory) lights to my turn signal bar using a 1" (?) chrome clamp.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:05 AM
2003 GL1800 Wing
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsigwing View Post
I attached my (non-factory) lights to my turn signal bar using a 1" (?) chrome clamp.
Surely you know the rules by now.....Where are the PICTURES???

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/joeb/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 AM
2006 RSTD - Roxie
Dave77459 has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakers View Post
I am ordering items for my winter projects and need some help. I have read the threads involving passing lamps and understand how to install, but here is where my dumbness comes in. I have an 06 beautiful black tour deluxe with a straight light bar which the turn signals connect horizontal at the ends. I want to add passing lamps but am confused. Every site I look at to order the lights and mounts show a curved light bar. Do I have to purchase this light bar? or do they make lights for the straight one? If so, do the passing lights come with the turn signals that hang underneath or am I suppose to do something with the stock ones. I just want to buy something and can't figure this out. It looks to me like the turn signals that are on the ends now would come out and the passing lights would go in there place, but I don't know. Really need help in buying. I just bought kromewerks slip on and want to buy all the lights, including Led for the rear, and possibly engine lights and want to have everything so I can do all the electric at one time with taking the saddlebags and gas tank off. I appreciate any help.
Thanks
Walt
First of all, great choice of bike! The '06 Midnight Tour Deluxe is the sexiest.

So, if it wasn't clear, what is done is that the stock turn signals end up hanging below the passing lamps on a new curved bar. (Before/After photos below)

You buy the mounting bar (P/N STR-1D635-40-00) and then choose either sealed beam (STR-4NK35-10-00) or halogen (STR-4NK35-10-01) lamps. I bought the halogen and I am very happy.

I was not so happy about the installation by the dealer, which turned the lamps off when I turned on highbeams. Lots of advice here on this site about how to do it properly using a relay. I'd snoop around until I understand. (Took me a while!)

If I might suggest projects for you, I would first install an auxiliary fuse box under the seat. Then you can branch out to the front and back, and have a solid place to grab energy from.

Good luck, and have fun!

Dave

Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Expired Membership

Thanks Dave and everyone else. Now I understand. I am going to run a fuse box and relay so my lights are ignition controlled. I have read horror stories about dealer installation and am scared to death. I will attempt this myself. Will have plenty of time with the winter months coming. Thanks again and Hope I can return the favor. When I start the projects I will photograph for step by step instructions.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:29 AM
2006 Royal Star Venture

If you do any amount of night riding change out the stock 30W sealed beam bulbs ( almost worthless)for Wagner #7600 bulbs (60,000cp) from NAPA. They make a tremendous difference in visibility in the dark.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Expired Membership

Thanks, that was the next question I was going to bother everyone with. I know I just turned 51 but I don't remember it being so hard to see at night. I was just reading on what kind of light bulb to replace the stock one with. Was looking at a PIAA at 44.00 until you gave me this advise. Thanks
Old 10-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Supporting Member
eusa1 has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave77459 View Post
First of all, great choice of bike! The '06 Midnight Tour Deluxe is the sexiest.

So, if it wasn't clear, what is done is that the stock turn signals end up hanging below the passing lamps on a new curved bar. (Before/After photos below)

You buy the mounting bar (P/N STR-1D635-40-00) and then choose either sealed beam (STR-4NK35-10-00) or halogen (STR-4NK35-10-01) lamps. I bought the halogen and I am very happy.

I was not so happy about the installation by the dealer, which turned the lamps off when I turned on highbeams. Lots of advice here on this site about how to do it properly using a relay. I'd snoop around until I understand. (Took me a while!)

If I might suggest projects for you, I would first install an auxiliary fuse box under the seat. Then you can branch out to the front and back, and have a solid place to grab energy from.

Good luck, and have fun!

Dave

if i follow your instructions to the letter, will the seat of my motorcycle fill up with such a pretty young lady??
someone was gunna say it.....mike
Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 PM
2006 Royal Star Venture

Before someone ask's the question, the Wagner #7600 sealed beam bulbs are only 37.5 watts compared to the stock 30watt bulbs. At 60,000cp they really do the job at night. You will want to aim them a little lower than normal because they are sooooooooo bright.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:33 PM
2006 RSTD - Roxie
Dave77459 has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusa1 View Post
if i follow your instructions to the letter, will the seat of my motorcycle fill up with such a pretty young lady??
someone was gunna say it.....mike
Thanks! That's my daughter and she gets her good looks from me.

Dave
Old 10-16-2009, 08:48 AM
'07 RSTD Midnight
naturbar has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

ordered my lamps and light bar yesterday....will post some pics when they're installed.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:44 AM
06 Tour DeVenture 09 FJR
Supporting Member

I really wanted to be see and be seen at night, I installed the light bar and Motolights to my bike....can light up the road a lot
Got a new rocker!!!! IGMAKOOS