IGNORED

Product Report and Caution on ColorRite Paint

V7Goose

There are very few options for matching factory colors on the RSV. ColorRite is the primary supplier for factory matched colors or you can have a paint shop do a custom mix. That is about it; I did find one other company that supposedly had matched colors, but I don't remember who they were, and there was something about what I read that made me wonder if it was really color matched.

Anyway, when I needed to repair my saddlebag lid last year I decided to go with ColorRite rattle cans, both colorcoat and urethane clearcoat. At this point let me note that metallic paints are difficult to match perfectly, and any silver or yellow color is the most difficult of all to get a perfect match. ColorRite even warns that the 2005 Liquid Silver paint is "factory variance" color where they cannot guarantee the match.

Despite that concern, the initial paint repair on just the front 1/3 of my right saddlebag lid was excellent. The amount of silver flake was perhaps just a tad greater in the new paint, but you had to look extremely close to see the transition. In retrospect I would do the entire lid instead of just the front 1/3 if I was doing it again, since I could not detect a difference in the paint from the lid to the body of the bag. Basically, I was very very happy with the quality of the paint repair on my 2005 Liquid Silver RSV from the ColorRite spray cans.

But one year later my opinion is changing. The repaired area has significantly yellowed and now has a very distinct gold shine to it instead of the original silver. Very pretty, but NOT a match for my stock paint! I do not know if this yellowing would show up on other colors, but it sure does on the 05 Liquid Silver. Sooooo, if you need to repair the silver paint, I'd strongly suggest you find a paint shop that will do the job and guarantee the color will not shift after a year or two - the extra cost will probably be well worth it. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

When I used to paint cars,,,, back in the day, Ford used to have a color called ginger and there were 54 known shades of it just from Ford. :yikes: Besides air pressure and mixing varies the color all over the place too.

In your example I believe the clear is the culprit and it yellowed to get the golden cast over the silver base.

I only got 2 cents so there you go!:banana:

Steve

Yup, probably the clearcoat, but so what? My point was I used both the colorcoat and clearcoat prescribed and sold by the ColorRite company. Although the initial color match was great, the product changed over time (just one year). It really doesn't make a lot of difference WHY it changed, unless I did something wrong, since it will probably have the same problem for anyone. That's all I wanted to convey.

Just wanted others to be forewarned before using ColorRite rattle can paints. Their two-part clearcoat may have the same problem, or not, but I have no experience with it (and now I am sure I never will).

Goose

I paint cars for a living and I think the reason it is yellowing is because the clear is not hardend or activated and doesnt have the UV proection that you get from the paint like dupont that I spray. I will say the reason you wont match some colors perfect is because air preasure and diffrent batches will match diffrent from the factory on cars. I have had 3 camrys in the shop the same color gold and all three were diffrent shades. not put color match down but there is a big diffrence in paints is a can and stuff you have o activate and spray. just my 2 cents

So far I have only used this paint for minor scarches and stone chips with out the clear coat. It matched so well I would have considered using it in a bigger area if needed.

I am glad you shared this with us...again we learn from others experience.

Thanks for the info.

:sign outstanding: