IGNORED

Yamalube 20W40 not available anymore

Midnight

I have been using Yamalube 20W40 in my 07 Venture. I know there are other options but I decided I would use it a least for the first few years in case I had any warranty issues. I went to the yamaha dealer the other day to pick up a gallon of oil for my next change. Apparently 20W40 is not available anymore. They now have 20W50 instead. I asked why they changed. Dealer was not sure. Anyways I have a few questions that I was hoping some of our members could comment on.

1) Does anyone know why they changed?

2) I have 2 litres of 20W40 left over. Can I mix it with the 20W50 on the next change?

Thanks Jim

I have been using Yamalube 20W40 in my 07 Venture. I know there are other options but I decided I would use it a least for the first few years in case I had any warranty issues. I went to the yamaha dealer the other day to pick up a gallon of oil for my next change. Apparently 20W40 is not available anymore. They now have 20W50 instead. I asked why they changed. Dealer was not sure. Anyways I have a few questions that I was hoping some of our members could comment on.

2) I have 2 litres of 20W40 left over. Can I mix it with the 20W50 on the next change?

Thanks Jim

Not heard anything.

Well I guess if you mix it half and half you would have 20W45:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry I couldn't resist. Probably true anyway. I don't think you would have any trouble mixing the two different weights especially if they are the same brand. I've probably done worse.

Jerry

Not heard anything.

Well I guess if you mix it half and half you would have 20W45:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry I couldn't resist. Probably true anyway. I don't think you would have any trouble mixing the two different weights especially if they are the same brand. I've probably done worse.

Jerry

Bingo! Just ask Bob.... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Thanks Jim

. I Don't think you will have a problem mixing them you just don't want to mix synthetic oil with non synthetic oil. But, who said 20w40 was no longer available, I just Bought 20w40 no problem.

Guest Saddletramp

Yamaha is marketing a fully synthetic that carries a viscosity rating of 15-50. It is kind of pricey comparing to other non-specific brands but I use it regardless.

Mobil1 Motorcycle specific that I can get at Autozone.

Autozones down here wont / dont carry it... but I use the same type oil as you..

I have to order it directly from Mobil oil company..

Guest cwil2988
Autozones down here wont / dont carry it... but I use the same type oil as you..

I have to order it directly from Mobil oil company..

Wal Mart here has the Mobil One Syn. for around 8.00 qt. Its not with the other oil, but over by the filters

Mix it and don't worry about it, and when it's gone, use the 20/50

Steve

I agree completely.....I've put well over 150K on first gen 1300 Yamahas...I've used Castrol GTX 20/50 the whole time with no problems.....good stuff

Here is yet another option. I have used Spectro Golden 4 ever since I bought my '84 First Gen new, through my '88, now in my '86. It smooths out the shifting CLUNKS, and helps the engine run a little cooler. It's a blend of synthetic and petroleum and works wonders. I had to have it brought down from NY, and of course got a great price on it there.

Poledar

Bill Darling...:080402gudl_prv::stirthepot:

• 1 year later...

:grandpa:Just throwing my 2 cents worth in. I've used Mobile 1 fully synthetic 15w-50 in my Vmax for over 2 years (36,000 miles) with no problems. When just bought this new 2009 RSV I started using the same in it. So far, after 2 months and 6,500 miles, no problems. Just make sure whatever you use don't use "Energy Conserving" oil.