IGNORED

New Trike Kit

mstar56

Hannigan has been making their trikes for the Venture for a while now. Champion will soon have a model out for the Venture too.

Dan's Cycle in Ohio ( http://danscyclesales.com/Mainpages/Trikes.htm ) was advertising Tri-Wings on their web pages up until recently. I see now that they've taken Tri-Wings off their web site and are now showing Champion and Hannigan trikes.

Don't know if Champion sells their kits to individuals but Hannigan is strictly selling their trike conversions done thru them or authorized dealers such as Dan's Cycle.

Larry

I saw the Hannagan on a RSV in Florenece SC . It was nice , but it didn't have the pizz-zaz I was looking for one to look like . Also just a small trunk which lead me to believe to less storage than I currently have on 2 wheels . But then again , maybe a second look in person is in order for a fair assumption .

BEER30

I think your rite on the install .. You have to be trained by the factory before you can buy a kit from Hannaggan . there labor run in the neghbor hood of 1,500.00

• 2 months later...

I purchaased a Hannigan trike kit for my 05 Venture. It handles extremley well and draws a crowd every where I park. I had the easy steer rake kit installed and it handles with one hand easy in tight cornering and at highway speeds it is real smooth. I also purchased the running boards and they hold my full figured weight with no problems. The fit and quallity of the kit is of factory quality from Yamaha. The trunk has plenty of room for when the xyl forgets your on the bike and buys everything she sees as well at each stop. I would say you will not regret changing over to a trike. And by the way I love two wheels but the trike is pretty cool. I toured the factory and everone was real helpful and answered all questions regarding the Venture kit.

Skipop

I purchaased a Hannigan trike kit for my 05 Venture. It handles extremley well and draws a crowd every where I park. I had the easy steer rake kit installed and it handles with one hand easy in tight cornering and at highway speeds it is real smooth. I also purchased the running boards and they hold my full figured weight with no problems. The fit and quallity of the kit is of factory quality from Yamaha. The trunk has plenty of room for when the xyl forgets your on the bike and buys everything she sees as well at each stop. I would say you will not regret changing over to a trike. And by the way I love two wheels but the trike is pretty cool. I toured the factory and everone was real helpful and answered all questions regarding the Venture kit.

Skipop

there you have it folks!

if money is no object, you can "make heads turn wherever, you park!"

just jt

Skipop. I almost bought a Hannigan trike body for our trike build, but we didn't care for the body style as much as the Tri Wing DX Cruiser, We are very disappointed in the quality of there work. I new going in that it had to be fitted, but the glass lay-up is very thin in some places and a half inch thick in other place's, it is out of square almost a half inch and the wheel openings are not in the same place on both sides, the body also has a twist in it that has to be worked with. Oh yeah I forgot Tri Wing says deal with it your the one that wanted to build your own trike from scratch!!!

Anyway enjoy your trike. :) :) :) :) :) :).

aving spent the last twenty years in DMV consumer protection, I researhed buliders and trikes carfefully. This kit fit it did not need the bolt holes drilled out or fender washers etc to put it together. We went to the factory and spent the day looking and asking questions about the design and parts used. They allowed us full access to the machine, paint and fiberglass shop and allowed the technicians to answer all questions. i was allowed to take close up photos of the Yamaha kit and look at the fit and finish of the proto type. For my opinion this is a quality kit from a quality dealer. The trip cost about 300.00 gas and room but I felt it was worth the effort to see first hand the machine we were planning to purchase.

They had no idea my background with DMV until the visit was concluded and we were sitting in the office just talking kids and grandkids with the owners and they asked what we did for a living.

Yes money is an object and thats why we tried to be very careful who we purchased from. We have worked part time jobs for the last three years to

save the money and did not wont to be unhappy after the conversion, because afterall the venture is a fun ride on two wheels.

Skipop

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gregs02

hey ,, how hard is it back up a yamaha trike,,goldwings have a reverse ,,,yamaha's don't , how hard is it back up a 800+ pound bike ,plus how do you handle slight inclines, you can't allways drive in .

hey ,, how hard is it back up a yamaha trike,,goldwings have a reverse ,,,yamaha's don't , how hard is it back up a 800+ pound bike ,plus how do you handle slight inclines, you can't allways drive in .

I don't know but will find out as soon as our weather makes riding permissable. Maybe JerryM will chime in here or one of the other trike owners.

I do intend to do some researching this summer for some sort of reverse set up. What I'll find remains debatable but I'm sure there has to be something that can be done to put a reverse on these nachines.

Larry

As some of you know we are turning our 89 VR into a trike. In my research I found out some trike company's offer a reverse by installing a starter ring gear to a disk attached to the pinion yoke of the 7.5" ford Diff or to the opposite side of the axle where a belt or chain drive is used. I removed a 38 tooth flywheel ring gear from a 35-40 hp OMC outboard motor flywheel, they use 8 -1/4" bolts to hold the ring gear on. I then machined a disk out of 1/4" plate steel that would fit tightly over the index lip of a modified 7.5" pinion yoke. 8 holes are drilled through the plate to match corresponding holes in the yoke. I then turned the outside circle down with a index lip to fit the ring gear and drilled 8 -1/4" holes in the outside perimeter to fit the ring gear. We are building our trike with independent rear suspension so the frame work holding the Diff will be made to hold the starter assy. We are planing on using a toggle switch that can be switched between the engine starter/solenoid and the reverse starter/solenoid and use the regular start button on the right handle bar for both functions. This is the only way I now of to get a reverse on a Yamaha. I hope this will help answer some questions and give someone a start on there own reverser. :) :) :) :) :) :).

Guest gregs02

that would help out a lot,,like i said trying to back up an a venture that weights 800+ pounds wet,,then you add luggage and a passenger and you are looking at over 1000+ pounds,, you will have some real strong and tired legs,,especially on a slight incline ,,

As some of you know we are turning our 89 VR into a trike. In my research I found out some trike company's offer a reverse by installing a starter ring gear to a disk attached to the pinion yoke of the 7.5" ford Diff or to the opposite side of the axle where a belt or chain drive is used. I removed a 38 tooth flywheel ring gear from a 35-40 hp OMC outboard motor flywheel, they use 8 -1/4" bolts to hold the ring gear on. I then machined a disk out of 1/4" plate steel that would fit tightly over the index lip of a modified 7.5" pinion yoke. 8 holes are drilled through the plate to match corresponding holes in the yoke. I then turned the outside circle down with a index lip to fit the ring gear and drilled 8 -1/4" holes in the outside perimeter to fit the ring gear. We are building our trike with independent rear suspension so the frame work holding the Diff will be made to hold the starter assy. We are planing on using a toggle switch that can be switched between the engine starter/solenoid and the reverse starter/solenoid and use the regular start button on the right handle bar for both functions. This is the only way I now of to get a reverse on a Yamaha. I hope this will help answer some questions and give someone a start on there own reverser. :) :) :) :) :) :).

Sounds like you're on the right path there. I was thinking along the same lines too as to a yoke mounted ring gear and starter of some sorts. Your idea of using the starter button is neat too. Keep me in the loop once you've finshed & tested it.

Larry

i have been toying with the idea, of attaching/press fitting, a starter ring, around the perimeter of the rear brake disk. mounting a starter in one of the saddle boxes, and using a completely separate battery, just for reverse.haven't looked real hard for a compatible starter ring, but if one can't be found, my next door neighbor, is a machinist with a complete machine shop right behind his house.shouldn't be too hard, to index a mating tooth pattern.

just jt

many moons ago , i had a cb750 with a side car , i installed a elec. motor on the wheel to back up . i used a sears elec. bike kit , sears used sell a motor that went on the front tire of a bike , the rider would flip a lever to lower the elec. motor on the tire , hit the button and take off . it was a small rubber wheel about 1 1/2 die. and 2 in. wide pressed on a small motor. i mounted it behind the side car tire and reversed the wires . anybody remember those sears bike kits ?

thom

I have not had any issues, first I try to park where I can just drive out. However my Hannigan rolls back with no effort. The wife pushes it out of the garage and she rides wherever she wants to go with no complaints. After seeing this post I asked her opinion and she states it is not an issue. I generally just step on the left running board and just push back with the other foot. The dealer here in Pensacola says he has many customers that just sit a little to one side and push back with their foot. I gave this a try this week at a couple of stops and it worked fine also. Parking garages I try to park on the ramp portion and let gravity roll me back into the parking spot. I use gravity by observing the slope of the parking area also and use it to my advantage to back in and then just drive out.

Skipop

The starter button doesn't carry the electrical load to the starter, all it does is energize the starter solenoid which then transfers the juice to the appropriate starter, using a toggle switch just moves the initial signal from the original engine electric starter solenoid to the reverser starter solenoid which automatically makes the one not in use inoperable. I don't think I would want to put a ring gear on the disc brake rotor as it would create more unsprung weight on one side of the vehicle, you would also have to weld mounts directly to the diff axle tube which could make it warp and some how balance every thing as a unit, also the ring gear would have to be small enough to clear the inside of the wheel. Obviously you would have to weld or build mounts off the third member if you mount the ring gear on the pinion yoke, but there are a lot of thick places to even drill and tap holes besides using the rear cover bolts for mounting. :) :) :) :) :) :).