Hi Gang,

Just a quick question, I did read the post and saw the illustration on rejetting in the Tech Section but I wanted to know if anyone has done this on a 06 RSTD. Actually to that point what other Mods can be done to this bike. I love the size and look of this bike, I added the Baron Bag slashes. I like the sound but think the pipes are constructed somewhat cheap. I also get popping, and done all the reccomended things but to rejet and open the airbox a little.

I love the bike, I just want to make it the best it can be.

Any help would be great!!!

Pedro

Well for what it is worth. I put a set of Mufflers from Kromeworks on mine. I plugged off the AIS system and richened up my idle mixture. This took care of about 90% of the popping on decelleration. I installed a Dyna 3000 ignition module and am currently running the #3 spark curve. This eliminated all of the popping and the engine seems to run much smoother at 65 to 75 mph. I haven't had it in long enough to get a good read on if the gas mileage has changed.

The information i have got from members of this site has been very helpful. I love the bike, its probably the best bike i have ever owned except for 75 750 BMW I used to own. I just wish Yamaha could get rid of the "whine".

Foundryratjim,

Do you have an 06 RSTD? Where did you find the Dyna 3000 ignition module? All the ones I see are for up to 2002 Venture, will these fit? Also, When you plugged the AIS did you do it inline or did you actually remove it and plug it at the V.

Back to the Dyna 3000, did this increase your rev-limiter or did it just advance the timing?

Again,

Any info would help.

Pedro

I rejetted my '01 RSVenture. It's engine and carbs are all exactly the same as your RSTD. I run Harley Road King mufflers with the baffles drilled out. I rejetted one size up on all the main jets, keeping the staggered jetting that is stock. I also went one size up on the pilot jets. They are all #15 stock, I put in #17.5, all four. The re-jetting made a big difference in throttle response and low end torque. If I'm one-up, I can smoke the rear tire...2-up I can lift the front wheel. With the rejetting, my mpg's is 38-41 mpg. I tried opening up the airbox, too. But that cut down on some of the low end punch, but slightly increased the highway mileage, by a couple of mpg's. So for around town, I use my stock airboxes (more fun with the throttle). If I go on a long trip, I swap to the opened up airboxes, for better mpg's on the highway. ( I have 2 sets of airboxes)

If you want to really tweak it, get the Dynatek ignition module...model number D3K7-5, it fits both the Venture and RSTD. Watch for them for sale on eBay.

http://www.dynaonline.com/english/cruiser_dyna3000.htm

The rev limiter is programable, along with the spark curve. I didn't put one in my RSVenture because I just didn't really need the extra revs...I don't race much anymore. The re-jetting was enough, more than enough.

Like Denny I upped the main jets one size over the stock jets and did the same for the piolts. I'm running stock Road kings and K&N filters in the stock air boxes. It does improve the bottom end and my mileage ain't bad either. I consistantly get between 42 & 46mpg up to about 65 mph and from 70-80 I'm averaging 38-40mpg.

I can live with that easy enough. Oh I used to get the popping on decelleration too but that's gone now since rejeting. I'm still using the stock AIS system. Might get even more bottom end torque doing the Jason mod, but I'm happy enough with the performance so see no reason to do that yet.

Larry

I plugged my AIS by putting a marble in the rubber hose where the metal tube comes out of the head. But I did that before I re-jetted. It sounds like Carbon_One has found out blocking the AIS isn't necessary, after re-jetting. It doesn't affect performance one way or the other...only needs to be done to get rid of the backfires and popping if you have it.

Folks thanks for all of the great information and advice you have really made me more excited about my bike and what I can do.

So let me get this right, the 01 Venture and starting with the 05 RSTD the engine, carbs, and setup are the same, correct? With that sad here are my plans:

- I definately want to rejet my bike up one from stock and change the pilot jets all around. What about the needles? Suggestions on where to buy and parts numbers would be real cool..

- I will probably leave my Baron slip-on pipes for now, but these willl probably change in the future

- Definately considering the Dyna 3000, thanks for the link and the part number.

- Last but not least the air intake is the other area of attention, definately will go to K&N's but I can not see how it will be able to satisfy the air demands after the Jet mods or am I still somewhat in the safe zone with just going up one size.

Once again, thanks to all who replied on this thread!!!!

Thanks Pedro

2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe

2002 VStar 1100

2004 Vstar 650 (Wifes)

Folks thanks for all of the great information and advice you have really made me more excited about my bike and what I can do.

So let me get this right, the 01 Venture and starting with the 05 RSTD the engine, carbs, and setup are the same, correct? With that sad here are my plans:

Right, all the same...'05 and up RSTD and '99 and up RSVenture

- I definately want to rejet my bike up one from stock and change the pilot jets all around. What about the needles? Suggestions on where to buy and parts numbers would be real cool..

You need 2 #125 main jets...3G2-14231-25-00

4 #17.5 pilot jets...4KM-14142-17-00

I get my parts from:

http://www.zanottimotor.com/

You can also order Mikuni main jets and pilot jets from

http://www.factorypro.com/

FactoryPro also sells a "jet kit". But I wasn't happy with it...too much $$ for what you get, and their suggested jetting was way off. Howerver, you will get 4 adjustable needles. But I found the stock needles worked just fine. You will have to call them, no way to order online.

- I will probably leave my Baron slip-on pipes for now, but these willl probably change in the future

I think Baron's slip on's or any other aftermarket slip-ons will probably work out about the same as far as jetting and performance...they are all straight-thru, same as Harley Road King with baffles drilled out. Road Kings are the least loud and (IMHO) the best sound, and, by far, less money. Road King "Classic" has the slash-cut end. Regular Road King has bullet end, looks like stock Venture.

- Definately considering the Dyna 3000, thanks for the link and the part number.

- Last but not least the air intake is the other area of attention, definately will go to K&N's but I can not see how it will be able to satisfy the air demands after the Jet mods or am I still somewhat in the safe zone with just going up one size.

These v4's are set LEAN from the factory to meet emmission standards. BTW, if you have to get you tailpipe sniffed to get a liscence plate, you don't want to do this. Re-jetting up one size with straight thru mufflers, and K&N stock filters, stock airbox, will give you real good low-end and midrange TORQUE. Open up the airboxes and you loose a little low-end, but maybe gain a little at high revs...especially with a Dynatek ignition. Open up the airbox, and you might want to go up 2 sizes on the main jets, one size up on the pilot jets should be enough (and 2 turns out on the pilot screws)...just my guess. I can only tell you my set-up. High rev gains are hard to tell with butt-dyno, but you will feel the low-end torque and throttle response. Most of your riding is at low or midrange, unless you want to race.

I tried shimming the stock needles, and tried FactoryPro adjustable needles. Didn't notice any gain, just lowered mpg's. FactoryPro needles set at their suggested setting fouled the plugs bad within 10 miles. Stock needles were best...I might have 1 shim, I don't remember, but not much difference.

Once again, thanks to all who replied on this thread!!!!

Thanks Pedro

2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe

2002 VStar 1100

2004 Vstar 650 (Wifes)

Denden,

You are a wealth of knowledge!!!!!! Thanks so much for all your help. I guess I will be moving 2 existing mains since you only mentioned to buy 2 mains and 4 pilots. I know that 2 of stock mains are the same and the other 2 are different, these are probably the ones I will move and then install the other 2 mains with the 4 pilots. I have a Carb Sync and a ColourTune to adjust the pilots....

Dude I am in your debt!!!!

Thanks!

PS They do not sniff exhaust in upstate NY.

Yes i have an 06 rstd. I bought the Dyna from Barons. I removed the AIS units and plugged off the hoses. The dyna has options to increase the rev limiter and change the spark curve. Jim

=pop216;108814]Foundryratjim,

Do you have an 06 RSTD? Where did you find the Dyna 3000 ignition module? All the ones I see are for up to 2002 Venture, will these fit? Also, When you plugged the AIS did you do it inline or did you actually remove it and plug it at the V.

Back to the Dyna 3000, did this increase your rev-limiter or did it just advance the timing?

Again,

Any info would help.

Pedro