IGNORED

2012 Yamaha FJR 1400

E-Fishin-C

Yamaha are looking at taking on the Kawasaki 1400GTR in a big way by launching an updated FJR – the FJR1400 – towards the end of this year. Apart from its 1400cc inline-four, the new FJR is expected to get bits like the latest-generation anti-lock brakes, traction control and a semi-automatic gearbox that offers clutchless gear shifts.

Looks sharp, after test riding a late model fjr I didn't like the low dash and lack of wind protection from the windshield. If they correct those issues I'd definitely consider one. Still want a st1300.

Then again I got to sell my rstd, starting to think I couldn't give it away.

A friend of mine just traded his Harley bagger for a 2011 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1400

He said he could write a book about what he loves about the bike. I had a older connie before my RSTD and I kinda miss it. If I had the $$ I go with the Concours.

Guest Swifty

Guys, What do you all say? What percentage of a new design is driven by what looks good and what percentage of the design is driven by technology and engineering limits like weight savings and pollution controls? BECAUSE that big muffler on the side of the Kaw is enough to turn me off a purchase I'd otherwise seriously consider. Now this FJR is copying it. If I'm turned off by it, and if I've read many other rider's similar sentiments, why do they design these things to look like this. Do they have information that there are many more who like a big muffler on the side of a bike like this, or is it simply engineering practicality?

Guys, What do you all say? What percentage of a new design is driven by what looks good and what percentage of the design is driven by technology and engineering limits like weight savings and pollution controls? BECAUSE that big muffler on the side of the Kaw is enough to turn me off a purchase I'd otherwise seriously consider. Now this FJR is copying it. If I'm turned off by it, and if I've read many other rider's similar sentiments, why do they design these things to look like this. Do they have information that there are many more who like a big muffler on the side of a bike like this, or is it simply engineering practicality?

That muffler is similar in design, but looks larger (longer maybe) than the one they use on the FZ1. Of course a 2012 FZ1 may also get an update and if they can use the same exhaust on more than one bike they save money. I personally am a fan of the dual exhaust look. Seems more balanced. I really like the way undertail exhaust looks on the FZ6 though.